• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Away for 2 years, has anything changed?

E

Eslake

2 years give or take a bit.
I beta tested KR and felt it would be a complete and utter disaster for the game, so I finally canceled my last 2 accounts.

Since that time, has anything changed?
I already see a Risk vs Reward thread, a thread about Gardening that leads me to believe nothing new was added to it, fishing also...

What actually HAS changed other than the KR interface?

A

Azureal

I been back a month, and feel Ive pretty much caught up on everything. Theres been a few story intensive invasions, one is currently ramping up at the moment. Theres a new Spring Cleanup in full swing, part one started a few weeks ago, part 2 will be hitting shards any day now.

Umm...thats it. I think.

F

Fayled Dhreams

I beta tested KR and felt it would be a complete and utter disaster for the game, so I finally canceled my last 2 accounts.
Actually ... "quite a bit" ... like a year ... last year was the beta(closed) and round now was "open beta / live"

Since that time, has anything changed?
I already see a Risk vs Reward thread, a thread about Gardening that leads me to believe nothing new was added to it, fishing also...
Housing has some changes, resource gathering, BOS's caught a nerf, PvP caught a minor "adjustment pass", pet balls have timers, quite a bit was "de-bugged" ...start here ... UO team was merged / adopted fully with Mythic ... which also involved a move to Fairfax (at linky) .... which is turning out to be a good thing (naturally opinions vary ... but UO IS still here) ... Speaking of which ... New "producer" (development manager) in the linky ... Bods got a ")" fixed ... runics (smith tailor) got a smoothing boost, bod turn-ins have a timer ... but manual/assist were basically unaffected (5 sec's)

there's a "Salvage bag for smiths and tailors ... gump select for leathers / ingots" ... some progress has been made, by players, in custom skinning KR, commas were added to BANK check's, vendor prices coming, no putting insured items on vendors(possible fix for insurance bug) ... scritter scum houses were imploded and left burning ... vinecord sandles got reverted to brown plain footwear, factions received some tweaks, further tweaks being worked on in a closed focus group (not "just" factions ... game mechanics getting a look >guess<), stratics crashed round may 2nd more here ...
recovery of past posts/data ongoing ... might (probably) keep this style with remerged past ... its covered in the FoF linky ... but updates to out of date "uo.com" guides and data is ongoing ...

The "Risk vs Reward thread" doesn't bear reading ... its about MORE reward for the same risk ... the title is misleading.
gardening ... not so much added, but some ideas are being looked at ... *shrugs* maybe ... cooking however DID get chocolates ... couple around reminding weekly about seeds for chocolate related trees ... fishing MiBs, sos's, nets can some times be used for turnins for the turnins stuffs ... as can Tmaps (above mentioned "cleanup")
ethy mount stamina caught a pass, before Wilki left us (move related) ... you heard about Grog, right? *sniff* ....Just as well go through here AND archives ... cause I know I missed ALOT

Save UO - Save the cheerleaders ... (AesSedai 10/31/07)

S

Sneaky

Well for a start, KR runs 1000000000000000x better now than it did in beta, in fact if you have a decent computer (made in last 4 years should do) it will run BETTER than 2D (at least it does for me).

If you quit because you thought KR would kill UO or something like that then its time to reactivate...

L

Lord Drakelord

Well there are us folks that are still playing in 2d as we hate KR. Been playing since 99, nonstop, with no breaks. Currently the invasion of the Vanguard is winning in my opinion, being they started in Cove and are now in Papua, Serpent's Hold, and Nujel'm.

Its funny however but the first reports of the Invasion said that Delucia would be hit, nothing was said of Papua, but Delucia remains free of the VG's minions, where as Papua got hit hard and fast. On the first wave at Papua I died in two seconds flat, and never did recover that body due to the heavy spawning at the bank. Just to be safe, I reset the default on my crafter's bod runs to Luna, as I hate to see my tailor jump into Delucia for a bod and get a order for a few hundred suits from the VG.

E

Eslake

Actually ... "quite a bit" ... like a year ... last year was the beta(closed) and round now was "open beta / live"
Not as much as that, I hadn't been playing for at least a year when I got into the KR beta.

I haven't a clue about BOS?, Salvage bags, scritter scum houses, or vinecord sandals.. but it sounds like they've been doing Something.

Sneaky said:
If you quit because you thought KR would kill UO or something like that then its time to reactivate...
Actually I quit for a number of reasons before KR was ever mentioned. The bot resource gatherers, the 10 account BOD runners (again Bots), and things on the To Do list for over 3 years never forthcoming -and always getting "in the works" in regards to them. (some I see are Still there)

As to my PC, I run Oblivion at max setting so I doubt KR will give me trouble. I just haven't decided if I'm willing to shell out the $ to play it again if they're still treating it the way they had been. i.e. Ignoring it 95% of the time, fixing things that aren't broken and making grand promises they'll never follow through with the other 5% of the time.

Galad

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing fundamental has changed. It's still the same game it was 2yrs ago.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Bag of sending change: Each 10 stone of weight costs 1 charge: makes it no longer viable for scripters (or even normal players) to send gold, ore, leather or boards/wood to bank from the field (ingots are less affected, of course).

Salvage bag: Gives Smiths & Tailors better recycling functionality than UO Assist. Not only are all items recycled in a single move, each smith item returns an additional ingot over and above its normal recycle amount.

The largest scripter operation in UO got caught, probably 30-50 (if not more) houses blasted and burning (3 on lake austin alone, with most shards seeing at least one Luna Vendor go up in flames).

Similar treatment before the dupers of the Vinecord Sandals event item, with a number of their houses going up as they were banned. Pplus, in addition, all the existing vinecords (all being dupes as the only original pair was in the possession of an account banned years ago, IIRC) went away...

BOD changes: You can immediately get a BOD after turning in a completed one (reduces normal crafters' disparity with scripters). All Tailor & smith runics had their top cap raised to 100% intensity, and their lower intensity bound raised. (one can craft keepable items with spined runics now, nice weapons with bronze or less runics).

In addition, Arms lore now gives a +1 random resist(armor)/+1 DI(weapon) bonus per 20 points of arms lore, to exceptional items (including carp, bowcraft & tinker items), on most shards (means a runic item can have up to 55% DI, even if crafted with a DC hammer by someone with GM arms lore). On Siege Perilous, the bonus is +1 every 12.5 skill, for a +8 bonus at GM.

Other changes have been made. Some are disliked (where ore and wood locations change randomly every so often), but those affect people with a set means of doing things (recall mining by book), more than the conventional crafter (the only normal people hurt by the wood change are those looking for frostwood, which is near impossible to find anymore - but it was way too easy before for scripters to keep the known trees empty for the normal guy, while turning in for museum items, so I can accept it, even if I don't like it - at least they increased the chance of each wood type as they did it).

The only people thinking they are ignoring the game are the ones deliberately ignoring the changes. In fact, a lot of the events we have seen over the last 18 months are Ultima IV and V related items we needed our UO versions of to occur, before we have Stygian Abyss (which, without the events, we WOULD have rushed into too suddenly and without a real justification).

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What actually HAS changed other than the KR interface?
Go to the official UO site (http://www.uoherald.com/news/) and read the posts in the Herald. You'll find Publish and patch notes, Five on Friday articles, letters from the producer, etc. If you use the "View News Archive" link at the bottom of the screen, you can jump back in time, with the oldest articles being from February 2007.

Or you can visit the Update Center (http://update.uo.com/latest.html) if you only want to look at publish notes going all the way back to November 1999.

There is also a Knowledge Base with lots of Q&A articles under the Support link on the left side of the screen on the official UO site. It's a good place to start looking for information on a specific subject if you just can't find it elsewhere.

E

Eslake

Other changes have been made. Some are disliked (where ore and wood locations change randomly every so often), but those affect people with a set means of doing things (recall mining by book), more than the conventional crafter (the only normal people hurt by the wood change are those looking for frostwood, which is near impossible to find anymore - but it was way too easy before for scripters to keep the known trees empty for the normal guy, while turning in for museum items, so I can accept it, even if I don't like it - at least they increased the chance of each wood type as they did it).
:thumbup1:

FINALLY!
I was one of those begggin them to randomize resource spawns recurringly. (and I spent about 60% of my time gathering/crafting, the other 40% doing Champs -yes in felucca-)

Just thinking back to the thrill of finding a frosty tree... grrr I'm going to have to resubscribe.
.. and find a house :(
.. after getting up the funds since I gave everything away when I left..

.. and I'll have to start a whole new set of plants...

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

E

Eslake

Erm.. I have a little problem...

Both Gamespot and Fileplanet have discontinued the game's download (with the free trial thing).

And my CDs washed away with everything else in the flood last year.

Is there still anywhere to download the client?

E

Eslake

M

Mijac_Chmon

Sir_Bolo,

I sent you a PM in regards to that patching file. I'm having trouble patching and could use it if you can provide it.

Also, if anyone else out there is able to provide the missing file, would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Z

zolo8

Let me know which shard your on, will sort you out with some cash and a house.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Don't be afraid to give KR another try. As has been stated, the performance of the client has improved significantly.

If/when you do, be sure to ask any question you have and check out the users guides. For activities such asa resource gathering and crafting, KR has turned into an AMAZING client once you learn the hotbar and macro systems.

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree wholeheartedly about KR, its not bad when you get used to it.

Speaking of which, what is the best source of instruction about setting up various things in the KR client? From macros to setting up various toolbars.

Thanks.