• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Avalon

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Avalon alights in her sacred place where rocks and sea greet each other in joyful abandon. Digging talons deep into the earth, closing her eyes she listens for sounds of the one she seeks. He requests quiet solitude, and she will grant it, but she is a Watcher. He is as important as her Charge. She will track him.

“Speak into the earth and I will hear you.”

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(A Page from Aedon's Journal)

Leaving Connemara, I have circled low through Yew passing to the south of Aegis. I do not wish to risk the chance of running into someone I know so soon in my journey. It is my desire to pass into the forest unseen and unknown. I had thought of wearing some sort of disguise, but am hoping that the road worn clothing I have put on will suffice for now. Passing the Hands Full Tavern, I have made for the bridge not far from the crossroads and at a point known well to me, have left the path and entered the deep woods.

It amazes me that not too far from what may pass for civilization lies a place of such profound beauty and peace. As I move through the trees I think back to days when Sage and I walked paths bathed in soft sunlight filtered through the canopy of leaves.

Touching trees as I make my way towards my destination I am acutely aware of the life which dwells within. Each tree has its own voice, each branch a story to tell many of which have been whispered down through the long years of life on Sosaria. Through thread worn boots I feel each stone and rock and revel in the song of brook and rill.

The path before me is neither clear, nor planned out. I will allow the spirit of nature to guide my steps as she has so often in the past. And hope that the chatter of stones will leave some message to be carried back to Connemara that I am well, and for now, at peace.

Last edited:

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
“It is well. He is well. You must not think so much into these days.”

“They drove him away! Why must they always be such amazing Asses!”

“Tis the way of Human to … grasp… that which is not fully understood.”

“Must they Always stick on the Same thing? Why is now any different?”

“Was not one of their clan taken by Va’lis not so long past?”

“What? Who was taken? So now everyone who is not a ranger must be like Va’lis? If it is me they are so interested in, why not just … “

“You must not consider such things. Tis not any better for you than it is for Him.”

“Avalon, the way of these Rangers grows tiresome. They had once been honorable. Now, I think they are too afraid.”

A heavy sigh was released as Izznet sat on the bench under the pale moonlight. Frustration at the outcome of the day was more than she could bear. Anger burned in her veins with no clear thought to the next action. Avalon could sense the boiling cauldron of fury threatening to undermine the quiet resolve of her Charge.

“You must Rest!”

Avalon was not making a request, she was demanding obedience. Picking Izznet up around her waist and flopping her into the ancient coffin, Avalon sealed the lid with a heavy ward. Scratches and angry yells were heard from within. Sitting on the coffin lid Avalon held firm until the protests quieted.

The coffin was a masterpiece in wood with gems and metal inlay. The fact it had survived so long was a testament to the craftsman who was commissioned to make it. It had been a gift from her Sire centuries long past. When troubles ruled the land Avalon would hide her quietly away until that time a new generation would be found with cooler heads and no memory.

It was hoped that no following would be found where Izznet was concerned. She was vulnerable and had they the chance, it would be difficult to shield her from their harm. Avalon tried to consider they were lazy as well as ignorant and they would soon be bored of their taunts and accusations. Hope springs eternal.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(A Page from Aedon's Journal)

I am not certain how far I walked, but tonight I was lucky to find shelter in an old guard outpost. The beds within the stone structure do not have been utilized for some time now, and I cannot speak to the cleanliness of the coverings, but it was warm and dry inside.

My supper was no different than what I have been eating most nights. Some bread, a bit of cheese a couple of apples and some wine. Not what many would term a feast, but suitable to my needs. As a bright spot, there are a couple of lovely field mice who decided to share my lodgings, and I was thrilled when they accepted my invitation to sup with me.

The larger of the two seems oddly the less dominant, giving way to the smaller as he pushes his way forward to grab the choice bits I offer. One might wonder how the fat one got so fat on lesser meals, but I made sure to keep a couple of large pieces of bread and cheese aside for her. I wonder if she was possibly carrying young, and wanted to be sure she was well fed.

With our meal ended, my friends waved their tails, and scampered down the stairs and out the door. It was after they had gone that the feeling of being alone hit me. It is not that I am not accustomed to spending much of my time on my own, and in fact through the years have preferred solitude. But recent weeks had shown me a side of night I have not known in many years, and I find myself missing the nearness of another person.

Packing my food away, and suspending the pack in the air and out of reach of my house guests, I went outside and sat on a fallen log. The moon hung low in the sky, and all around me silence gathered in. Closing my eyes I listened to the rustle of leaves tossed by a westerly breeze. Far from where I sat I could hear a wolf howling and then the mournful replies of the pack.

Tomorrow I will make for Brit and restock some of my supplies. From there I may turn towards the crossroads and make my way to Minoc or perhaps through the Spiritwood. I do not wish to make too many plans and prefer to let my heart guide my steps.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
(A Page From Aedon's Journal)

I arose feline well rested and with the odd sense of being watched. Shifting on the small bed, I looked over the edge to see two pairs of beady eyes looking at me. It would seem that my dinner guests from the night before had invited themselves back for breakfast. Chuckling, I sat on the edge of the bed and reached up retrieving my bag.

Sharing a pleasant meal with my new friends, I sat chatting with them about my travel plans for the day. It did not really seem as though they were interested, but they listened politely while munching on bread and cheese. With breakfast over, I said my farewells and gathered my belongings into my pack and hoisted it onto my shoulders.

Leaving the vacant stone guardhouse I took to the woods again ever steering my path towards Britain. I surmised it would take me the better part of two days to reach the City, and hoped that the supplies I had brought would hold out. Someone would say that had I not invited the Mouse couple to two meals and had reframed from tossing apples to wandering deer that I would have plenty for the trek. But as nature had supplied me with what I had it was my charge to give back when I could. And in truth I did not mind their company as I made my way through the trees.

The one constant issue which plagued me was getting my hair constantly caught in some branch or twig along the over grown paths. Tucking it into my hat did no good as it kept insisting on sightseeing along with me. Finally, in a fit of desperation I grasped the hair, and taking my knife, lopped it off just above the tie which bound it at my neck. Carefully wrapping that which I had removed, I placed it into my pack, shook my head a few times and replaced my hat. I had to admit that the sudden breeze on my neck felt good.

By mid day I was growing a bit hungry and had resolved to rest and have a meal at the next suitable spot. Coming through the trees, I made my way back to the road and came upon a camp of brigands. They did not pause to ask me who I was or why I was on the road before three of them attacked me. Dropping my pack, I drew my sword and stood my ground. Owing to a few recent battles I was not as rusty as I might have been, and once the second ruffian fell, the other decided that my pack was not worth the fight and scurried off into the woods.

Examining myself I realized that I was lucky I had not taken much damage. I had a gash in my right arm, and a small one across my forehead. And I was sore all over. Taking one of the shirts I had packed, I did my best to bandage the wounds, and then making my way to the road, continued on my way.

Tired and in need of some medical care I was relieved when at the next guard outpost I found it occupied. The young Ranger spotted me as I walked along the road and called out asking if I was in need of aid. Coming out to where I stood, she helped me inside, and taking up a field kit, tended to my wounds. She then graciously offered me to allow me to rest for a bit in the tower.

I am not sure how long I slept in the small bed, but when I arose night had fallen. Walking up the stairs I found my hostess standing at the edge of a lookout point watching the roadways around the stone building. After inquiring as to my condition she told me she had prepared a meal for us and offered me a place to bed down for the night. I accepted, and we sat on the roof talking as we ate.

The young Ranger was named Alamanda, and she had been holding watch there for two weeks now. She seemed t enjoy the woods as much as I do, and when I asked if the watch post was lonely for her claimed that she had all the company she needed in the trees and creatures who made the surrounding forests their home. We sat long into the night talking about our love of nature, family and what it was we were each seeking. When I finally lay down again dawn was chasing the last shadows of night from the forest halls.

Arising refreshed and feeling very rested, I shared a cup of coffee and a light breakfast with Alamanda, and then promising to stop in again it possible, I headed out into the morning light. She told me that the path leading to Britain was not too much further ahead, rounding the bend on the road, headed back into the deeper woods.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Arriving in Britain my first thoughts were having a bath. I had been walking for a few days now, and in all truth, I reeked. Going to the inn on the west side of the city, I checked in under the name Sean McDermott and after paying my fee, headed to the bath house.

The water against my sore dirt encrusted skin felt wonderful, and had I been home, I am certain I could have easily fallen asleep laying there. But I did not wish to spend any more time in the city then necessary so I finished up and after drying myself off, slipped into some clean clothing. The old ones I discarded not wishing to carry the smelly items in my pack.

Stopping in a lesser frequented inn, I had a quick supper and replenished the supplies in my pack. Heading back over the main bridge, I turned towards the smithy, and then took a somewhat hidden path past various buildings to corpse of trees close to the water’s edge. There I would make my camp for the night. Along the edge of the fast moving stream I gathered some reeds and laid them in the late afternoon sun to dry.

Sitting close to the water I could hear sounds of merriment coming from the tavern across the way. I longed to go thither and finding myself a quiet corner, sit and listen in. But I did not wish to risk being seen by any I know, so sitting there, I enjoyed what I could hear of the song. While I did so, I drew out the hair I had cut from my head and releasing the tie, took up the dried reeds and hair and began to weave a strong length of twine.

Night is moving in rapidly and the songs in the tavern have come to an end. My labors have yielded the final item to complete Llyrwech’s creation once I am home again at Connemara. I know well that sleep will allow the night to move by quicker, but the trees are speaking to me in hushed tones while the water close by murmurs of times long past and a more pleasant future. So I will sit and listen a while longer.

Tomorrow will be here soon enough, now is a time to listen and be at peace.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
“Shh Penelope, I require your assistance.”

“What do you need, dear?” she whispered back.

“I found Him. I wish to take provisions. Will you assist in gathering items he can use?”

“Oooh yes! Of course I will.”

“Shhh! I do not wish to trouble her with this knowledge.”

“You think she’d do something silly?”

“More like foolish.”

Once items were collected and placed in a lovely blue bag, Avalon dug talons into the soft earth to ensure she could track his movements. Chuckling at what was passed along the rocks of the road she recognized quickly where he was. She would not share his location but would find him easily enough.

Lighting near him, he seemed happy to see her. They spoke briefly in hushed tones of news concerning home and his travels. Much of his adventures had already been spoken through rocks and earth. She was thrilled to see him well and even happy, or at least filled with less tension. Offering a blessing on his journey she bowed low before taking to the sky.

Heading to Skara Brae for no other reason than to follow his steps she stood watching a bird fly around her horns. The bird landed on her horn and was scratching its beak against her etchings when the door opened and startled it away. The dark stranger seemed to carry an air of constant smolder with him.

It was as she had been warned, but she mentioned nothing to that. He spoke kindly and even tried some of the Gargish tongue. He would be offered the courtesy of audience without judgment, as she would want in return. It was certain he would prove himself in time, and hoped they would be of benefit to each other.

The etchings on her body were once again noticed. To what end he would find them valuable would remain to be seen. They were highly personal and specific to a task. What he would do with the information failed her. The only beauty of the situation, she could see, was the story of their origin may be revealed. Beyond that, it was hoped they would remain quiet.

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This morning I left my camp site near Britain behind and turned down the path heading towards Trinsic. I had originally planned to double back, and head off to Minoc, but for some reason I changed my mind. Perhaps it is the thought of another large city waiting ahead with the promise of another bath, and a hot meal.

It was good to see Avalon last night. And her gifts of food and drink were a welcome site. I have been eating well enough, but the site of the soup and coffee made me want to hug the watcher. She let me know how Izzy was doing and that she had stopped and checked on my house. I was a bit distressed to hear that Izznet was not dealing well with my walk, and was placing blame for my journey on others.

I assured Avalon this was not so, and that the anger directed to me by the Rangers was understandable in a way. They were on edge with the recent troubles with Va’lis, and with Mylar only just back from being held by him, they may be seeing vampires in every corner. I did not understand why they spoke with such conviction when referring to me as cattle, and suggesting that I allow vampires to feed from me. But knowing what they had been through I should have finished my drink and left the tavern.

It was not the Rangers I was angry with, it was me. My words to the two as I left the tavern will haunt me for some time. And so, rather than sit around in the house and work Izznet up to frenzy I decided to take a long walk, and cool off. Perhaps collect my thoughts and decide what the next best course is.

I have run into few issues today, a couple of mongbats and a stray ogre or two. And the woods that line the path leading to Trinsic are filled with old trees with deep thoughts. Some whisper of the passage of armies or troops of knights off to join in battle. Others sigh softly the dreams and plans of lovers shared beneath their bows. And a few hang their boughs mournfully to the ground sheltering the long forgotten gravesite of someone who’s name and family are lost to time.

As I move through them I pause here and there and placing my hand on the trunk of a tree listen to its song and understand that within the great forests of the world, my problems are small and insignificant.

Towards the end of the day I came across a large guard house which crossed over the road and offered many vantage points facing all directions. As most I had passed, this one too stood empty. Entering, I made my way to the top floor, and found an out of the way corner at end of one of the passages. Setting my pack down, I lowered myself with my back to the stone wall, and thought for a bit.

I am concerned about Avalon. I left before we had a chance to meet with Skylar about the rubbings I mad of the etchings which cover her. And now she tells me she ran into Penrose and he took some note of the odd markings. She asked a bit about him, and wondered if he was to be trusted. I reminded her of the past dealings I have had with the man and suggested she not meet with him any place in private.

I cannot sit out here munching on food and talking to trees leaving Avalon and Izznet behind to deal with any movements Penrose might make. I am acting as a child that runs into the woods to sulk whenever I feel I have failed at something or let another person down.

Reaching for my pack I decided to have something to eat, and then turn in. I wanted to get an early start in the morning. I would stop in Trinsic long enough to get cleaned up, and then make my way back home.

No amount of time spent in the woods, no solitude, no lightening of the heart would serve me if in the end of this all I carried still the same issues which drove me to my anger. If I did not deal with the source of my own discomfort, and bring true peace with the choices I have made to my heart, then the voices of the trees, the songs on the wind will quickly wither and die. And I will spend the rest of my life walking dark forest paths far from home.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
The Shrine of Spirituality had always been a calming spot for the Watcher. The one constant of spirituality was the walk of faith and knowledge of higher purpose. With glittering song of Spirit energy, the shrine had always been a place of introspection in time of confusion and turmoil.

Speaking with Aedon had been a highlight. It was good to see he was doing well. Regardless of how he felt safe in his wilderness wanderings, she was determined to follow him. The Charge was ‘safe’ in her room and would not require her services. Aedon, however, was a curiosity and she was compelled to keep track of his movements.

It was in those mind wandering moments she heard his footsteps through the ground. His footfalls were close and against stone rather than dirt or grass. Glancing back the top of the guard tower could be seen peeking through the canopy of the forest. Could it be he was really that close?

She waited for the rustling to settle before investigating. Quietly climbing up the outside wall of the guard tower she could hear his gentle steady breathing of sound sleep. For no other reason that she was gargoyle, of stone, and it was her way she perched on the edge of the tower to watch the night drift by.

She had brought cookies with her for the next time they happened to meet. Before leaving she laid several cookies at his pack hoping he would find them before any field mice. Returning to the edge she spread her great wings to allow him his private moments to prepare for his trek.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Aedon was home, and Izznet could be released from the ‘room’. Avalon had no joy in freeing her Charge, she knew there would be a maelstrom of temper shown. It was hoped forgiveness would be offered.

Opening the lid an odd sight greeted the Watcher. Izznet lay in the elegant silk, eyes closed and arms crossed. When the light of the moon touched her face she refused to stir. Ages of finding refuge in the sanctuary of her ‘room’ had never brought such a downtrodden spirit. The events of the recent past were taking their toll.

When Izznet’s eyes did open they lacked the fire and resolve that was normally exhibited at an awakening. Reaching up for assistance was far out of character. It was wondered what happened. There would need investigation on the ‘room’ before placing her back in it. Was it compromised in some way?

Even when Aedon came to call, the energy was curious. It was obvious she was thrilled to see him, but there was something amiss. Her body moved in grace and elegance, but lacked the fluid motion that was standard in her gait. It was hoped that with a proper meal and a long bath she would regain her center.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Storming into Connemera Izznet was ripe for confrontation with the Watcher. Recent events had set into motion things that would not easily be undone. Her actions had the potential to escalate matters far beyond any hope of control.

“Avalon! We Must have a chat!”

“Yes?”

“I hear you have been associating with Penrose. Have I not Warned you of him?”

“You did. I did not seek him. He found me at the tavern.”

“What on Earth were you doing There?”

“I travel there… I do not know why. Maybe because Aedon met there with Skylar and I was curious to meet her again. It was not Skylar who discovered me, twas the Penrose.”

“That is a problem.”

“Aye, tis understood. Even his abodes offer such warning.”

“His what? You went…”

The ire was clearly rising in her Charge, but the abrupt pause made Avalon look again. Izznet’s face drained of color and she had fallen where she stood. Shielding Izznet with her wings, Avalon carefully scooped her up to return to the ShadowMoore.

The thought to return Izznet to her ‘room’ was strong, but a nawing inclination in the back of her mind dictated another course of action. Laying Izznet on her bed and closing curtains around her gave Avalon the push to study the coffin more closely.

With a determination of will Avalon’s long stride to the coffin was as close to the look of fury as anyone would likely ever see on her face. Ripping the lid off the coffin she turned her gaze to the lining. Any hint of invasion she needed revealed.

By the time the offending item was discovered the coffin was nothing short of tinder. A tiny silver pin with a family crest had been sewn beneath the silk lining. How long it had been there was beyond her comprehension. The only clue was the image on the pin. Avalon was worried that she would not know, or ever find out, where the offense had originated to cause the action of one tiny object.

It was obvious that the silver pin had been closed in long enough to ‘infect’ the box. Having Izznet locked inside for more than a week had been unintentionally poisoning her. It would take a long while for her to recover without drastic means. Telling Aedon of the discovery would not be pleasant. She feared his retribution.

Returning to the bedchamber, Avalon covered Izznet’s body. She looked as a corpse, in almost every way. The sheet over her face would help guard her from the light. But the damage done would need addressed sooner than later.

The giant gargoyle was heart heavy looking at the one she was meant to protect. She had failed, again. If she were to fade away into the nothingness, it would be her fault. The taste of that bitterness made her stomach turn. Shedding thick tears she tried to compose herself to find Aedon.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
The nights had been horrible. Izznet was in a desperate state. The toxin had taken a heavy toll on her body. Penelope was horrified at the image, and understood the look on Aedon’s face after his visit with her.

Avalon had made a point of finding suitable specimens for her charge, but the amount required was far greater than the supply. It was taking longer for her return. The first few had been a massacre and the room left in a horrifying mess. The thick smell of copper lingered behind Avalon as she ‘cleaned’ that which was left. Brigand camps were devastated as the need compelled action.

Well into the night, after dozens of trips, Izznet began to regain some degree of control. It was after the visit with Aedon that she tried harder to purge herself of the poison. He had brought news of the findings and that had been high motivation. The look on his face at the sight of her coupled with the news of what was discovered jolted her out of the fog.

They had been apart far too often as late, and she missed him. It was inconvenient at best the constant interruptions. She was looking forward to an evening in a tavern around others spent in friendly conversation.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Propping open the door and burning fragrant herbs had been helpful in airing out the heavy aroma of death from the chambers. Penelope could barely look at Izznet without feeling overwhelmed by the effects one little pin had done. The constant nagging question remained, who did this?

Izznet knew the author of the assault, but did not have a face or a name to go with it. The story was as old as she, and just as brutal and bloody as any. Her nature had caused a great deal of turmoil and heartache through the centuries. In truth it was a surprise more of this hadn’t happened before. Only one other time she had been attacked in such a manner. It was equally as devastating.

Avalon had summoned a distant cousin from a far away land to lend aid. What is better than one Watcher? Perhaps it would be having two. The cousin was slightly shorter than Avalon but a warrior in the Queen’s army. Her quiet spirit was brooding and lacked the gentle calm of Avalon, but she was strong and more than capable of helping Izznet without the risk of further damage, no silver on her.

“There is a help to draw the toxin from you.”

The simple proclamation was greeted with eager acceptance. Penelope, Avalon and the cousin prepared a bath with a pink salt and a few other stones along with herbs and fragrant flowers. It was instructed that Izznet soak in the warm waters until the water ‘ran clear’. None fully understood the meaning until she was lowered into the tub.

It did not take long to understand the effects of the minerals. Leaning back Izznet released a low moan as water and salt began their healing magic. Pulling the silver from her body made it float in the water leaving a gray milky residue to be skimmed from the surface. Resting in the bath for almost an hour the water began to shimmer in the candle light clear.

Without the assistance of a bonded feeding the purge took longer than it would have normally. But the careful attention of the household had done amazing wonders for Izznet. She was beginning to feel stronger. It would not be long until she was back to full strength.

“Avalon, how fairs Aedon? I think he was frightened at last we met.”

“Aye, he was unnerved. Perhaps he will be pleased at progress when next you meet?”

“I hope. I do not wish to drive him away.”

The gravely chuckle from Avalon made Izznet level a glare that only garnered deeper laughter.

“And What is so funny?”

“You. Has he not proven his steel?”

“This is different.”

“Not so much as all that.”

“I guess we shall see when he returns.”

“And I will try to not laugh.”

Making a face at the Watcher Izznet moved around the room under her own strength. Re braiding her hair and dressing in fresh clothing made her feel better. She was compelled to sit out on the porch and gaze into the star field enjoying the quiet solitude of the forest and the stars.

Taking up a journal she began to write the story of the new threat. It would be important one day to have the full picture of her history. She only hoped Aedon would be able to forgive her.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Quiet moments for Izznet helped to ease the raging fury lurking beneath the surface. She had not been so calm and relaxed in a very long time and the change was profound. The bond with Aedon was deep and luxurious, everything about him made her natural tendencies pause and relax.

The change was dramatic enough that Avalon took notice. They had been sharing quiet evenings together for years and knew each other completely. The Watcher smiled at her Charge with a soft sad smile.

“Why do you look at me with such a look, Avalon?”

“What look is that?”

“It is so sad. You smile but not with your eyes.”

“I think because I miss sharing company as you have with Good Aedon.”

“You miss your mate.”

“I do. It has been long ages since I felt a presence so deeply in my soul.”

“I am sorry, Avalon. I know it must be lonely for you.”

“It can be. I have new duties. Perhaps that will ease the hollow sound within my heart.”

Leaning against the gargoyle’s arm, Izznet looked every bit a child next to the giant. They remained there softly chatting until the dawn when Izznet returned to her place in bed.

Izznet knew there was nothing to be done for her Watcher. It was heartbreaking to know how lonely Avalon was without being able to assist in easing the pain. There were simply not many of her kind to be found. It was hoped that a bond of friendship would find her sooner than later.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
The workmanship was stunning, as always. There was no doubt that the one Avalon called “Claaa Wek” was a master at his craft. After taking the silver from her talons he promised to help give them back some of their beauty. His promise was made good, and the result was stunning.

He had worked hard at mining the perfect ore, one that would be malleable at low temperatures and yet strong enough to hold up to the healer gargoyle daily tasks. He also dug up gems and cut them to fit into the grooves giving them an added benefit of earth magics. Once the inlay was complete and stones added a clear resin was used to seal and give a smooth surface.

No longer would the etchings be able to have chalk rubbings done, but the images of the inscriptions were still clearly visible. The glistening sheen of the gold and gems was equally stunning, if not perhaps more so, than the silver. Avalon gave a satisfied smile to the talented craftsman as he left for other duties.

As she admired her new adornments, thoughts of a darker nature crept in clouding her peace. Avalon had gone to Skara Brae tavern, as she had done several times before with no incident. When she entered the room a standing tension greeted her. There was obviously something amiss.

Sitting with James and another fellow she was asked a most curious thing. It was nothing new, but had been well established that her nature was good. The stranger with James asked if Avalon were a demon. Understanding that as a stranger he would not know her, but as an initial greeting? That was something for which she was unprepared.

Regardless of the assurances she was not a demon, the air around her was of misgiving. She hoped it was more to the fact of the robbery preparations, but the nagging concern of demon stuck in her mind. Had she not proven her worth? She had been hired to the clinic, would that too be thrust into question?

Shaking her head, Avalon tried to dismiss previous images of ridicule and attack she and her Charge had long ago endured. It was a new day, there had to be a new line of thinking somewhere.

“Focus on the beauty, Avalon, focus on the beauty,” she kept repeating to herself.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
Once again Sorrow Rock became Avalon’s quiet place. Her friend was in trouble and she was without the wisdom or knowledge in how to assist. It went beyond protecting her Charge, this was Aedon who was in need. He had been sorely altered and the gargoyle was flailing as to know what to do.

Digging talons deep into the earth she sought her Charge. When the voice was heard it was heart wrenching. The depth of sorrow that filled the cry made the ground weep. His words were harsh and unkind and his actions had become ferocious and violent. She was not afraid of her safety as much as consumed with the fear of losing him to forces beyond her control.

“Avalon, you must not come to me. I dare not see him or have him follow you here to me until this blood lust subsides.”

The request was more of a plea, almost begging not to be found. The heartbeat deep within her chest cried to wake from the nightmare. Granting the request, all that could be done was to track down Aedon. His whole countenance had been altered and it was little wonder Izznet was alarmed.

“He seeks you,” was the warning returned on the wind.

No doubt he found her eventually, their bond is great and it would have only been a matter of time until his heart followed hers. The reunion was no doubt less than ideal, but they ended the night together. The gargoyle spent the night high in the hills outside their home careful to give them privacy, yet close enough to intervene were it necessary.

She had not been summoned to watch but chose to on her own. In truth the lack of a summons was as much of a concern as if there had been one. Avalon hoped that the love they shared and the bond they had created would be stronger than the bond that was trying to be forged by another. They were better with each other than without.

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
“Do I seem different to you?”

The question was a bit of a surprise, and in truth she hadn’t noticed anything out of the ordinary, yet. Sitting at dinner, however, things began to take a sinister twist that left Izznet questioning the wisdom of her support in the ritual involving Skylar.

When his words turned arrogant and haughty the deep chill of foreboding rested heavy across her heart. The look in his eye was one she recognized, blood lust. He had been touched by a darkness that threatened to twist the gentle spirit into something all together monstrous.

His approach at home was gruff and unfeeling, even the kisses laid across her skin lacked their sweet release of affection. The lick across her skin sent a cold prickle that forced her to flee leaving him standing alone in the middle of the room. She knew he would be angry, but for the sake of a promise made in quiet times she had no other choice.

In all honesty, to share all she had with him would have been a dream. She longed to feel him savor her as she did, but that must not ever happen. His words were not his own, and she hoped that time would purge the sour from her Aedon.

“You would leave me to do this alone?”

His words stung to the core. Of course she would never leave him to face such a challenge alone. He knew this. It was as if he was setting a challenge and all she could do was to stand her ground and remain quiet.

Crouching in a corner hugging her knees and weeping into the darkness all she could think was how she had lost the one treasure she could not afford to lose. His deep desire was to be rid of Ahoun, and she had reluctantly agreed. Her promise was to stand by him whatever happened, and she would fulfill that promise. The glimpse of the cost to that promise was almost more than she could bear.

When he returned to the room her heart leapt at the sound of the kindness returned to his words. She could not chance a look on him, for fear of the one thing she did not wish to see. The fear was to be set aside and no longer desired, replaced by another of equal or greater power than she.

Gazing upon his countenance through the eyes of her own monster she could see the darkness coursing through his veins. She could also see deep within to the fire that shimmered in his soul. It still burned and that was the hope she required. She had to hold onto the glimmer of the fire or be utterly lost.

With one soft kiss to her forehead a flood of peace washed over her like a flood of cleansing rain. The path would be dark and twisted, but together they would forge ahead and come to the other side greater than they began. She found a new determination to finish what was begun and dared to hope a new horizon would bring a glorious victory over their dark moment.

Resting in his arms she could hear the struggle between the BaleFire and the other bond as they waged for control. It was her hope that by her presence he would withstand the strong lusts that threatened his core. He would reemerge the man he needed to be, and be better for it.

Last edited:

Izznet H'unar

Journeyman
The ways of Man are sometimes confounding, to say the least. There seems to be such a deep capacity for genuine favor followed quickly by the same level of disdain, often it leveled on the same individual without cause or rational. Who can fully grasp the ways of Man?

Regardless of location, healing touches are required. As a mystic and deeply attached to the land it was important for Avalon to lend aid when it was requested. Healing of body, mind and soul was a great gift and one she took seriously.

The ability to prove to Aedon she was useful in many matters had been a highlight. It had been a sweet vision the Kitsune and the other Drow together as they assisted each other in healing. It helped Avalon understand that it was more than merely the healer required for “healing”, it also required support of friends.

When circumstances moved to grant freedom to do so, she offered her services to Yew. The great growth within the city was exciting and to be part of that would be an honor. She needed nothing elaborate, merely a simple room would be sufficient. Payments would be equally simple, trade what is available for the service required.

Maybe a place would be available where wings would not be such a hindrance. The idea was snap and not terribly considered leaving details in desperate need. Perhaps working together with the bath house would give a more holistic approach to what they offered.

Hun’ep was growing in her talent, and the waters of the bath would easily be able to offer healing properties. Couple the waters and massage with the deeper spiritual mystic healing, Yew could benefit. The trick would be getting approval.

Softly speaking to the stone walls of the Knights Rest, Avalon fleshed out a plan. Closing her eyes and humming with the other stones she stood sleeping wrapped in her stone embrace. The BaleFire warmed her feet as the cool touch of stone gave comfort she had long forgotten. It would be good.