• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ATTN: UO FANS Vote

Ultima Series

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
U

uohater

Just a pole on the idea of an Ultima blockbuster, or perhaps a good book series? Take the whole story line from the beginning and make something of it. I've been playing since the beginning of time and would be thrilled to see it come true, Post How ya feel? AYE OR NAY EVERYONE! AYE! AYE! AYE! It'l be the new age Tolken

KingX

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aye they could even just make it loosly based becuse of the seperate shard thing AND. . . it would probly be based on the ultima games not UO. . . . . why didnt you just make a poll?

U

uohater

Fairly new to stratics tech, figured it out with minimal effort though, thanks!

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd have to say book. A movie would cost them a lot of money for it to be successful.

M

Mr. Gnome

If someone took the time to write a book (and lets not forget about the countless hours editing and producing it), unfortunately the only people that would buy the book are hardcore UO fans. Not only that, these fans would also have to have the patience to read an entire book. That's why I think a book is out of the question...

as for a movie, that is also out of the question. Can you really do a full-length film about UO, while keeping it interesting and objective? No.

As far as anything media about UO goes, I can see essays and it being included in documentaries. That's about it.

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This would be a good idea for Ultima's 30th anniversary... which is next year.

C

Cloak&Dagger

If someone took the time to write a book (and lets not forget about the countless hours editing and producing it), unfortunately the only people that would buy the book are hardcore UO fans. Not only that, these fans would also have to have the patience to read an entire book. That's why I think a book is out of the question...

as for a movie, that is also out of the question. Can you really do a full-length film about UO, while keeping it interesting and objective? No.

As far as anything media about UO goes, I can see essays and it being included in documentaries. That's about it.
He said "Ultima" not uo, the Ultima series has a complete story line, heck even UO has a story line that is interesting enough to enough folk. Not that I think a movie would do to well, altho Ultima was fairly popular and so is UO. Either way from Ultima I to UO there is enough to cover multiple movies, Think about other games that got Movies they were no more interesting than Ultima was/is

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And have a fan base worthy of the cost.
Edit: Instead of a movie though, a mini-series might be better :D

Edit 2: You know, I take that all out. This is turning into a debate about preference between books and movies. I just like books a bit more :D

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There actually was a 3-book series released about 5 years ago.. I just tore apart my house trying to find em, but to no avail lol. I had 1 and 3, but could never find the 2nd one. Stratics did an interview with the author too:

http://uo.stratics.com/content/interviews/andrews.shtml

They were a pretty decent read.. not the greatest, but still pretty cool. The plot was based off of UO2 before it got scrapped.. like Jukas, Meers and Blackthorns mechanical army.

L

Lore Master

i voted both book and movie being most movies if not all have to be a books first though if i could only pick one choice I would say movie one reason being more people watch movies then read books i am one of them another reason if ultima became a movie it would make more people aware of UO hence more people would join UO making UO more popular then ever most likely.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Have to admit the Irony of someone with the name "UOhater" posting such a topic....

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What you really need is to have a person write a novel as they are playing the game based on their actual in-game experience. Starting from New Haven, build a story through the eyes of a character, seemlessly mixing NPC and PC encounters, observations, quirky game mechanics, publishes and accomplishments through the polish of an extra layer of imagination.

The tricky part is convincing someone that the tangle of IP legalities would be worth navigating to spend a year doing it.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There were books, man named Austin something wrote. I think are out of print now.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes.. there were 3 books by Austin Andrews that were the UO2 prequel fiction. However, there were also several very old novels based in the Ultima 4 world.. one for Quest of the Avatar and a few others afterward, before Ultima 5 in the timeline. Also, there were at least 3 Ultima manga produced in Japan.

Obviously, and sadly, none of them seem to have sold well enough for them to stick around. Nobody has ever translated the manga, either. :\

Nok

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course Ultima fans could make their own film shorts and post them on YouTube.

Would be even cooler if Mythic would accept videos submissions and the chosen could be features on a fan video bonus DVD included with a boxed Ultima 30th Anniversary Edition of Ultima Online. ;)

Eh... forget it. Any of that would require too much creativity and effort by the fan base and Mythic (not a complaint, just... an observation & a challenge if anyone is so inclined).

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I donno... I think a set of novels set around starting with Ultima I and running through the PC game series would do pretty well. Especially as a mini-series.

S

Stupid Miner

Yea right, if they made Ultima a movie, somehow we'd end up with Uwe Boll as the director.

U

uohater

I know, good name eh?(UOhater) We love it but we hate it... and we always come back...good name, anyways. We know either a book or a movie would have the potential to be great. Story line is huge, (already a huge fan base for not only Ultima but the whole D & D fantacy clic) and given the right touch you can turn a story about nothing into an epic novel with an epic fan base... and yeah it would really REALLY boost the amt of online players. AYE!

C

Corpsecrank

I really don't think either would do well. The only people that would really get what is happening are old ultima fans otherwise they would have to work in explanations of everything as it went along for people outside of the fanbase to understand it. If they did add in explanations then it would be kinda boring for someone who really knows the series.

A movie is pretty much out of the question due to the cost and we all know what a low budget film about ultima would end up looking like.

A book series based around the original single player games might be interesting but I couldn't see myself sitting around reading a book about ultima.

U

uohater

I really don't think either would do well. The only people that would really get what is happening are old ultima fans otherwise they would have to work in explanations of everything as it went along for people outside of the fanbase to understand it..
Did Tolken have to add in explanations for people to still love his books? He wrote them correctly. There is a difference between writing a book correctly and having to explain things. When you start to explain things in a book it makes it really boring... obviously, but when you are a talented author, its not really explaining... in my view...Even people who had not read LOtR loved the story line and movie. You dont have to be a fan of the subject to become one.

Lady_Calina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think in order to do the entire series justice you would have to write a few books, then see if anyone enjoys them enough to do a movie.