• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Attn: TheGrimmOmen Or whomever is responsible!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd like to know just who is responsible for this??? And when will it be addressed... first off... I went to deco my place for an Event hosted at my castle and I'm extremely frustrated. Thanks to my friend who happens to play the EC exclusively. I always have him double check things for me and it's a good thing too, though I am not at all sure how I'm going to go about "fixing" this... I'm sure it's on the DEV side now...

So I spend half the the afternoon putting up my deco and getting it to where I think it looks acceptable but then I head upstairs.... and what to my wondering eyes do I see... but the stupid garland popping through the floor. So I head downstairs thinking I'll just lower it once and fix it.... NOPE can't lower that anymore????? Really???It's in the middle of the wall??? Why can't I lower it? Can't raise it either... weird.... so..... I decide .... pooey just leave it....

Enter friend... I ask "Hey! You wanna come over to the Castle and see how this looks for Xmas? Tell me what you think...".... so he comes over and I ask him about the garland and tell him how I don't like how it appears upstairs... (now he's in the EC mind you)..... he says... upstairs? Heck it's on the floor! And he asks me why it's in the middle of the floor..... annoyed I go middle of the floor nothing! So I grudgingly log into the stupid EC and sure enough it's on the floor..... it's not poking through the upstairs floor but the Brazier fire sure is! When is this going to be fixed????? Am I gonna have to have this look horrible like this for Xmas and hope NO ONE but him uses the Enhanced Client???

*rolls eyes*

Heres some pics for you to illustrate what I'm complaining about:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nothing new, Torches burn thru the floors last time I looked as well. tapestries, and several other things poke thru floors.
It's all reported, and known, and someday hopefully will be fixed.

T

Tazar

Grimm draws all the pretty pictures...

I'd guess it's the engineer that codes the layering.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nothing new, Torches burn thru the floors last time I looked as well. tapestries, and several other things poke thru floors.
It's all reported, and known, and someday hopefully will be fixed.
Reported...??? When? During Beta?? No... couldn't report housing issues during beta.. they didn't want to do anything about them... likely they still don't... but you would think that having just gotten the garlands last year at Christmas.... they would have been bug tested!

How are you supposed to hang them properly??? Do you have to use the EC to do it?? NO... we didn't really have an EC last year... it was KR... or was it.... who cares... fact of the matter is here it is coming up on Christmas time again... and I can't use my gifts because it looks ridiculous.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While they are fixing garlands for the approaching Yule, how about fixing the brand-new ruined tapestry in the EC as well. How did this slip past in the first place??

In the classic client:

Looks fine.

In the EC:

The tapestry floats in front of the wall, at the eastern edge of the tile.

The same appears to be true of the garlands, they are at the eastern (or southern) edges of the tiles they sit in and thusly do not look like they are hanging on a wall (they should be on the western or northern edges of the tiles). Why they get stuck in the floor, however, is odd. Also, the garlands appear to start out at two completely disseparate heights in the two clients. In the EC, the garland starts out on the floor and must be raised. In classic, it starts out about halfway up the wall. You would never be able to have the same viewing experience of the garlands between the clients due to this.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes. The enhanced client is still in beta.
I believe this has been posted about not just by me but YES, so it is.... but when has anything been done to "fix" anything of late? And far as I know I'm still in the Beta testing.... still can see and post on the dead forum there. I serious doubt much is happening. Hence my posting here... attempting to draw some attention to this before Xmas.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oh man... -shudders- there is no way i'm gonna look at my house in EC, i think i'd just about cry.

well, if i don't see it, it doesn't exist!

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they DO get around to fixing this, it'd be nice if they would fix christmas tree's that poke through the floors, maps, hanging pictures, etc, too, while they are at it.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The floor-pokey situation is both (1) easy to resolve [theoretically] and (2) would require some client re-tooling.

However, as far as I can tell, the client draws each row, starting with north, and moving south, and each row is drawn west to east. What this does is causes (properly) the items southern-most to overlap items northern-most and items eastern-most to overlap items western-most. Thus creating the 3D illusion.

The simple fix to the client rendering issue is this: If an object has a lower Z-axis than the current plane you're standing on (which we know it understands based on the way other graphics appear when you're underneath them), then it cannot re-render a pixel on that higher plane. What's happening right now is, as I'm guessing, the lower floors actually take some sort of priority over the higher floors (which makes sense so that if you're upstairs you still see the features of what's below you), but that priority is allowing stuff to poke through. Take away that item's ability to re-render a pixel on a higher level item, and voila, you've solved the issue.

What would happen then is that say the second floor is rendered in its entirety, and when the client goes to render the lower floor it would still render the objects that you might see, but it would not draw anything that has already "been drawn."

The only issue I see with this is that when you go downstairs, the client would have to re-render so that you see all of the objects in full detail... however, I'm not sure how much of an issue that would be. I'd definitely take a crack at it in both clients (since both suffer from the same problem).

Also, one caveat to this fix... if there is no tile above the item in question, then there is no restriction on it rendering. In essence, the floor tiles would have to be given priority over stuff beneath them and used as a barrier (but obviously, if you have a tree on the first floor and no floor above it, you wouldn't want to cease drawing it).

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for the issue with differences in the 2D and EC as far as items go, the solution is simple: Implement them the same way. If a graphic sits on the wall in one client, it should sit the way in the other. If one client starts it half-way up the wall, both clients should do so.

The only issue that needs to be fixed with that regard is consistency between the clients. Not a hard thing to implement at all.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd like to know just who is responsible for this??? And when will it be addressed... first off... I went to deco my place for an Event hosted at my castle and I'm extremely frustrated. Thanks to my friend who happens to play the EC exclusively. I always have him double check things for me and it's a good thing too, though I am not at all sure how I'm going to go about "fixing" this... I'm sure it's on the DEV side now...

So I spend half the the afternoon putting up my deco and getting it to where I think it looks acceptable but then I head upstairs.... and what to my wondering eyes do I see... but the stupid garland popping through the floor. So I head downstairs thinking I'll just lower it once and fix it.... NOPE can't lower that anymore????? Really???It's in the middle of the wall??? Why can't I lower it? Can't raise it either... weird.... so..... I decide .... pooey just leave it....

Enter friend... I ask "Hey! You wanna come over to the Castle and see how this looks for Xmas? Tell me what you think...".... so he comes over and I ask him about the garland and tell him how I don't like how it appears upstairs... (now he's in the EC mind you)..... he says... upstairs? Heck it's on the floor! And he asks me why it's in the middle of the floor..... annoyed I go middle of the floor nothing! So I grudgingly log into the stupid EC and sure enough it's on the floor..... it's not poking through the upstairs floor but the Brazier fire sure is! When is this going to be fixed????? Am I gonna have to have this look horrible like this for Xmas and hope NO ONE but him uses the Enhanced Client???

*rolls eyes*

Heres some pics for you to illustrate what I'm complaining about:

I posted about it back in October When I decided to decorate my whole trammel keep xmas holiday deco all year round.
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?p=1459755#post1459755

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grimm draws all the pretty pictures...

I'd guess it's the engineer that codes the layering.
Uhmm, actually, I'm the pipeline guy. I develop and maintain HOW the art gets in the game, not what it looks like. When i do art, 98% of the time it's creature/character related.

Not sure that happened there, but I'm sure there will be conversations about it on Monday! ;-)

-GO

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uhmm, actually, I'm the pipeline guy. I develop and maintain HOW the art gets in the game, not what it looks like. When i do art, 98% of the time it's creature/character related.

Not sure that happened there, but I'm sure there will be conversations about it on Monday! ;-)

-GO
Hey, uh, Grimm... could you do me a favor when you're conversing on Monday? Three, actually...

First, could you please implement a testing policy for new item artwork that requires a viewing of how they look in each client, AND how they position in each client? The garland and ruined wall tapestry above are examples, but additionally, the corrected potted silver sapling does not start in the southeast corner of the tile, but instead somewhere well northwest of it, which makes positioning it sorta goofy. The Halloween jack o' lanterns are another example where they seem to be positioned too far to the west in the tile. At minimum, these items should be started in a "center" position so they look centered in the tile, but preferably would start in the bottom-most position so that decorators can raise them appropriately.

Second, could you please take a look at maintaining some sort of floor/z-axis barrier in both clients so that the artwork doesn't render itself above/over a solid floor?

And third, could you please also implement a perspective quality check to ensure that new items making it in are of the proper isometric/whatever-you-call-it perspective so that issues like the potted plants and 12th anniversary cakes don't happen again.

These things would be greatly appreciated, and would help to ensure that not only is the quality of the art of a high standard (and believe me, I've been very happy with most of the art lately... it's been very well done for the most part!) but ensure a quality implementation of that artwork.

Oh, and one more request... could you please have the Codex of Virtue re-rendered? It appears that the large Codex from the Slasher of Veils (which is of the appropriate perspective) was simply shrank down on the 2D X and Y axis (meaning, not shrank on X and Y in a 3D space), which creates a skewed version of it. If you look carefully at the North and South edges of it, you'll see that the codex loses its isometric viewpoint, and becomes skewed and warped. Additionally, there is a strange lip on the north and south that do not properly follow it around. A re-render of it with the appropriate axis shrinking in 3D space and then snapped and rendered to a 2D tileset would correct this. I LOVE the Codex, but it looks a bit odd the way it is now.

Thanks so much!!!

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, its more...

In my keep, when i have items on ground in 1st floor half my charachter is sticking up on 2 nd floor....so it looks like im just too tall for the ground and pokes up in 2nd floor...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thank you GrimmOmen for the reply! You may save my Xmas!

*crosses fingers*

C

Cal_Mythic

-GO
*nods checking the calendar* ... Hmmm lookie there it's Monday :D

C

Cal_Mythic

and you'll be sure to let us know how those conversations are goin', right? :)
I'm sorry I can't but ... please ignore the sounds of teeth gnashing and any intense discussion going on behind the dark veil.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks to both Cal and GO for letting us know this is on the radar. :)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm sorry I can't but ... please ignore the sounds of teeth gnashing and any intense discussion going on behind the dark veil.
I'll try but it's so very, very hard...

While your discussing issues art and housing...... could I make a plug for you to discuss the housing menu? Please give us back the KR housing menu??? Pretty please with rum and sugar on top?

Speaking of Rum... can we get some rum?