• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

ATTN. Phoenix_Mythic Re: Mining for saltpeter

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some months ago you responded to a post I made regarding the rate of mining saltpeter here: http://vboards.stratics.com/1952627-post332.html

In it, you state "It can be mined at a rate of 1,000 units or more per hour in a dungeon, with a mediocre luck suit and GM mining skill."

I just spent 4 hours on my GM elf miner wearing a 2065 luck suit and I got 58 saltpeter from one huge niter deposit. That's it. One deposit in four solid hours that yielded 58 saltpeter.

The yield of saltpeter has been going lower and lower as time goes on. Today, it is the lowest it's ever been.

For the record, I have never been able to mine saltpeter anywhere close to 1000 or more units per hour.

If the irrational "commodity trader" algorithm cannot be removed, can the rate niter deposits spawn be addressed?

A

anna anomalous

i do my mining on a boat out in the papua waters and get a decent amount per hour. maybe try that.

T

Tazar

Luck is bugged. Try a suit in the 1000 to 1200 range and I think you will have better "luck".

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try using Garg Pickaxes, I am serious. I mine with them, for the Ore ellys, but I usually pull hundreds of Saltpeter per hour in a 0 luck suit.

I am not certain on the specific amount, as I usually measure my mining outings by how many Garg Picks I go through and not the amount of time spent mining. Lets say, I usually pull 200 - 400 per 5 Garg Picks I go through.

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What technique are you using?

If you use the hit and run technique of mining your count can increase significantly.

Alternately if you mine each spot out, and are mining in an area with evidence of other miners working the same area, your turn out can be quite low.

Take a look at this informal experiment and discussion on saltpeter.

Talk:Saltpeter - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
None of these things have anything to do with what Phoenix_Mythic has stated about mining for saltpeter. (possibly excepting the post about luck)

Phoenix has stated that you can mine 1000 or more units per hour, in a dungeon, wearing a mediocre luck suit.

I have been mining for months now, specifically for saltpeter, I have noticed a steady decrease in the yield as time progresses.

My very best yield average was about two months ago @562 units per hour over a two day-eight hour stretch. (four and four)

This is crap.

It's INSANELY TOO EXPENSIVE to buy and I have to spend WEEKS mining just to be able to go out for ONE DAY on my ship

Will someone please fix this?

A

anvira

Not sure how it's broken?

My miner has 1100 luck, and I routinely walk out of any dungeon I mine in with around 1k an hour.....

Gargoyle pickaxes are awesome, and like it says in the guide, if you dont get it on your first couple swings, it's not there, so you can just 'move on to the next spot'.

Good luck :)

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
None of these things have anything to do with what Phoenix_Mythic has stated about mining for saltpeter. (possibly excepting the post about luck)

Phoenix has stated that you can mine 1000 or more units per hour, in a dungeon, wearing a mediocre luck suit.

I have been mining for months now, specifically for saltpeter, I have noticed a steady decrease in the yield as time progresses.

My very best yield average was about two months ago @562 units per hour over a two day-eight hour stretch. (four and four)

This is crap.

It's INSANELY TOO EXPENSIVE to buy and I have to spend WEEKS mining just to be able to go out for ONE DAY on my ship

Will someone please fix this?
Pheonix's statement is dead on accurate or even understated.
If you look at my link, you will see in our tests we were getting about 1000 in half an hour many times.

So since my experience seems to show there is nothing wrong...I am assuming you might not know the best techniques or such. There is nothing wrong with the system and as early as two hours ago, I pulled about 800 saltpeter in less than 15 minutes.

If you are on Atlantic and are willing to learn and see for yourself, I'd be glad to show you.

But if you are dead set on the system is wrong no matter what proof other have and it can't be me, well then best of luck to you.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I have to agree... saltpeter is quite easy to get. Even on Siege.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saltpeter mining is not hard. Just a average luck suit + Anniversary for luck statue mining in the Abyss can get between 1000 and 1500 saltpeter in a hour.

Important to know is saltpeter comes up at the first dig. So dig at a spot and if the saltpeter don't appear right away move a few steps further.

WildWobble

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
best spot i found for mineing saltpeter is in the solen hives just make friends and you have a massive dungeon to mine in safty.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saltpeter mining is not hard. Just a average luck suit + Anniversary for luck statue mining in the Abyss can get between 1000 and 1500 saltpeter in a hour.

Important to know is saltpeter comes up at the first dig. So dig at a spot and if the saltpeter don't appear right away move a few steps further.
interesting, did this change? I was boat mining it to work on my cannons and I was sometimes hitting multiple deposits per spot, and quite often not getting them until the spot was partially mined out. I was under the impression it was per swing, not per spot, it checked. with 1200 luck i generally got around 800 per hour, it was grueling though and the 800 only really made a few shots. (not worth using on anything but players at the cost of it, imho)

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On the boat is different then in a dungeon.

I saw it somewhere. I look if i can find that post.