• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Attention GeForce Cards need to be updated!

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
anyone using geforce FX should probably upgrade
If the only game they play is UO 2D, then what's the rush to blow money?

Personally, I wouldn't give up my 8800 GT... and it's already considered mid-grade. But it handles Fallout 3 fine, so I'm happy. When a game comes out that I want to play that needs more horsepower, then I'll upgrade, and not a minute before.

S

sapphirediablo11

If the only game they play is UO 2D, then what's the rush to blow money?

Personally, I wouldn't give up my 8800 GT... and it's already considered mid-grade. But it handles Fallout 3 fine, so I'm happy. When a game comes out that I want to play that needs more horsepower, then I'll upgrade, and not a minute before.
^^ agree with that :3

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The FX cards run UO 2D just fine. It's only worth it to get a newer card if you play a game from the last 5 years or so <_<

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
drinkbeerallday, you buying us all new cards? I would like a new card, hell I would love a new system but until I can kill the neighbour's dog for gold to buy one, it ain't happening.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got the FX series for my old PCs as well. They were cheap and run most games fine.

But if you run games like Elder Scrolls - Oblivion, then you'll hit a problem. At least 1 (if not the entire series) of the FX based cards had a very poor implementation of Shader 2. Which is used heavily by games like Oblivion to render the grahics/textures/shadows. The game runs slow as hell and basically you have to set the graphics to really low setings in order to play. Really low as in settings beyond those you can select within the game and need to edit the ini file to achieve.

Since the recently released Fallout 3 is made by the same people, I am not sure if the same issue might also affect that game.

Not exactly sure, but I remember reading somewhere that to resolve this issue, Nvidia cheated a little and hardcoded some shader 2 over-rides in the newer drivers when it detects certain games are running. Sneaky, but hey, it's free.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My PC being old as the hills in computer lifespans runs on a 6800GT infact up until about 2 months ago it was on a 5600 I believe.... so now I'm really flying high with a 6800..... no problems at all..... and my driver is up to date so things are good.