• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Attention Devs, Mods and Helpers

Auriel

Project: Gorgon Game Mod
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Saturday's Town Meeting went really well. It was decided that helpers did not really want the fanfare of being voted into office and receiving perks for what they were doing already. So we talked about things that really would be helpful for helpers.

Newbie Help Channel: A channel that would be watched by Helpers where a new person could feel free to ask questions.

Blinking Tabs: The Tab situation could get crazy so it was suggested to have blinking tabs. I saw the benefit of this today when in group tab and someone was trying to PM me. Course then we would need a PM tab.... eh, and while we are on the subject of tabs, some folk would also like a combat log tab.

Tab Hell: I can't remember what game it was, but I seem to remember being able to program what I wanted to come through on each tab. Anyone remember anything like this?

Skype: Firstly, it has been suggested that I should have a quicker way to contact Eric. I have never asked for his Skype, but maybe its prudent. Up to him, though. Also, I would like to start a Skype group for Mods and Active Helpers. Please respond to this thread if you would like to be included. If you become inactive, you may be dropped. Just contact me when you come back, np.

Helper Recognition: We talked about how folks could recognize a Helper and so feel free to ask for help. In chat, maybe our name in a different color, or a title. Avatar-wise we talked about things such as a colored sash or cape, or a special chest piece we wear when we are in town.

This discussion is still open so please contribute! And if you are helping folks and want to be a part of the skype group, please respond here!

Helio

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Can I become a helper? Before, I wasn't really confident in my knowledge of the game, but now I realize I absorbed a lot more information that I expected.

Auriel

VIP
Stratics Veteran
anyone can just be a helper whenever they want, of course. This thread is for those who find the need to to communicate with other helpers or with mods.

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the feedback!

Eventually we'll get some sort of customizable tab system, but in the short term (next few weeks) the best we'd be able to do is one configuration that works for everybody. Not sure if that would mean adding a "Help" tab that everyone can look at, or maybe ... something else, I dunno. The problem is the Unity engine's GUI system is very crufty and tedious to work with. (They're going to release a new GUI system soon, but it will be a while before we upgrade to it. In the mean time, it can take a surprisingly long time to code up simple things.)

The server's chat system has the ability to let people create their own custom chat rooms, however, the client software doesn't have a way to let you manage that yet. But eventually we'll have that hooked up too. (We could hook it up with slash-commands now, but that seems... kinda tedious.)

Auriel

VIP
Stratics Veteran
The only issue I have right now was not seeing a PM, as a mod, when I was in the group tab. But we shall manage. *s*

Dreadz

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I think that a help tab is very much needed. That way those of us that are just messing around farming can monitor it. every so often or if someone that needs a bit more than a 1 sentence answer we can have switch to that channel so they are able to see what we are saying a bit better. I have noticed that with more people playing general chat is getting a bit congested and sometimes is a bit more difficult to follow esp when u are in need of help.

Another thing that maybe a bit easier to code is a group command so that if we need we could group up with the individual and guide them using group chat. I understand there is a lot of reasons not to have this command but it would very much help esp if 2 helpers are trying to help. If the person is alrdy in group they can easily see they are being helped.

awollsd

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
you can make a customizable chat (ui) in unity3d I was playing a game before this that had it.
in that game you had a settings button on bottom left of chat. clicking it would bring up a list of all chat options you could set to be shown in that chat tab. you put a check in the check boxes for all options you wanted shown. the options they had was.... System, Combat, World, Local, Company(guild), Whispers.

another allowed you to make custom chat rooms. doing that you would make the room then name it. another player could either make another room of his own or type in the name of a pre-existing room so players could be in like a group chat without being in a group.

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
awollsd - you can do anything with it, sure. The question is if I can do it in my few spare hours right now while promoting the Kickstarter, and that's a negatory.

Something that could be coded in just a few hours for Windows apps can easily take a full week to code in Unity. That doesn't mean it's impossible, it just means... no time right now! So the question is: what would be useful *right now*, this month; there will eventually be a modern Chat GUI.

If I add a Help tab, for instance, it would pretty much always be visible for everybody right now. Which is fine, if people are okay with that!

I'm tentatively penciling a Help tab in for now.

Last edited:

awollsd

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
sorry guess I read you saying "something else, I dunno. The problem is the Unity engine's GUI system is very crufty and tedious to work with" incorrectly took it as meaning unity was causing problems and not letting you properly have custom chat's re-reading (now that I'm more awake) I see it is saying as you just did. it's time consuming and a simple tab is a quick/easy solution that will work just fine and allow you to continue focus on other things :)

Zorak

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Chat GUI will be awesome and I'm totally looking forward to it but please for the love of god focus on getting the name out there, draw in a crowd! ;) The Help tab is going to be a great option when it gets implemented too.

Cramit

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm new to the game and community but I am very willing to help. Still learning the game more, so will need my knowledge to really grow before I can do much but if there is anything I can do to help get the name out there, like contacting youtube streamers or other folks to try the game out, I would be more than willing in my small amount of free-time.

I am already looking into getting into making videos, so possibly will have a Gorgon video coming out, but will post it in the thread for those once I have something I am proud of. Citan, is there anything we can do to help you with the kickstarter? I made some suggestions in the "Regards to Funding" thread if you would like to look that over, but I would like to offer any help I can provide as a "Not so knowledgeable" member of the community until I do attain that knowledge.