• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Atlantic Rares Fest

Are you willing to attend?

• Yes

Votes: 34 54.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
I loved the last rares fest on Chessy. It was run with class at some very nice facilities. But Atl has the peeps and profit potential, so bring it.
You see that Gunga? They said "with class" which means...... someone has finally said that I have class without me having to pay them. Now you owe me your soul as you agreed to give!

I am not against having "fixed" crew. As long as whomever is hosting a Rares fest and putting all they have into it has a choice to or not

As for Bon Ivers proposal, I don't think anyone from Chesapeake has any room to talk since we just decided to have a "Mini Rares Fest" without asking anyone... lets not act like we followed procedures to the letter.

**Excluding myself because I always follow the rules and procedures....I never just do what I want....no...never...ever.....**

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
and umm... why doesnt someone write out Rares Fest procedures instead of just saying this is how its done. Would save us all time and not having to deal with bickering and annoying icq messages about this person, that town etc etc not following procedure

(How do you expect people to follow a procedure that you don't have written out and posted anywhere?)

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm a festival on Atlantic eh.

As much as I enjoy my own shard I'd really like to see Ken have to run an entire festival on his own! :danceb:

Well it's finally happened! See what collecting shoes does to your brain?:coco:

That would be the WORST possible decision in the world! I think it's time to take up a collection for poor Alhelas's family, he's obviously completetly gone off his rocker!

::walks away muttering about about shoe people::

Neutron Bomb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wouldn't mind if the next Rares Fest was on Atlantic. I just want the LS fest to have it's chance to shine like we did on Chessy. We all know Atlantic is the 'bomb' place to have a fest since it would garner the most people, but I don't want that to conflict with the good peoples of LS.

EDIT: Not that my opinion matters. I'm just a minor collector compared to most.

T

Tipsy Toad

Queen Arya and many members of our guild are very veteran players! We have all been members of this community for many years. Toad Towns Merchant's Faire was very successful and kept players attending all weekend. With help from all mentioned in previous posts, I am sure this event would be a great hit!

Dread Pirate Robert

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I, like Neutron, am barely a minor collector as a returning vet to the game. More of a seller of items I come across from my old days playing than a collector truthfully. However, I have dealt with several serious collectors this past year for about half a billion in sales. I attended but wasn't there when things went sour at Pacific, but not sure how that could happen again if all sellers were given their own vendors, or have a secure setup like the flea market, where items are negotiated, then put on the vendor for final sale. That, or as stated, have a set crew to help run each event, with the shard hosts being their team on the event. Also, knowing they would have items given by Messana would greatly help knowing who to trust.
That being said, I'm all for the event on Atlantic. Sounds like a fun list of events. I may not have much to add for items, but doesn't mean I won't have cash to spend!

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
trust comes into play because a major auction is the TRADITION. Frankly, I lack trust for most people in game and haven't put any of my items up in a rares fest auction yet.

Bon Iver

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Good idea Gareth, I for one amongst others, would like to know what the procedure is to host a Rares Fest since it is ideally against-tradition to just throw one out there.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
*Throws Athelas in front of the bus*

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*Bump*

Wait was that Athelas?

Bon Iver

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Well who exactly belongs to the council that established the tradition? We can't just blame Athelas, it was stated that it was discussed amongst so there must be more other than Athelas.

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Oh no I didn't blame them I was just simply pushing them in front of me while I quietly slipped out the back door.

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some good ideas in this thread and I have no problem working towards implementing them...... after the LS festival.

So the next items on the agenda will be future Rares Fest proposals and a permanent or picked volunteer auction staff for future festivals.

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But seriously wherever next fest is held I myself and I am sure Demonslayer and Sundina would volunteer to run the silent auction again. It is pretty much fail safe at this point. Its nice to know your rares are safe. And Demon and Sun are machines when it comes to collecting and dispersing funds at the end.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well who exactly belongs to the council that established the tradition? We can't just blame Athelas, it was stated that it was discussed amongst so there must be more other than Athelas.
ooh I want to be Elrond

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We tried this council thing once before and it didn't pan out.

I think this time around IF we decide to do this and stick with it that everyone appointed or however we decide to do it will have to be on even ground. Similar to an electoral college, everyone's vote will count, but the final decision will be made by the council. I have some ideas for membership but I am going to wait until after the LS festival has concluded to elaborate.

With or without a council I think voting works best, but all feasible ideas are welcome. Gareth mentioned a rule system which shouldn't be difficult to come up with.

Oh and thank you lineman for coming forward regarding the auctions, all three of you have always done a fantastic job.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just wanna throw in a few thoughts here

before the July 2010 chesapeake rares festivals, the silent auction did not exist, it was always the overcrowded live auction which was annoying because u had to be able to be on at a certain time, right before the pacific rares fest took place, the chesapeake fest was decided to be the next one to go, well because of the disaster on pacific a lot of pressure was put on us

myself and sundina were the main hosts of the chessy fest along with help from dvi, vladimir of atl and gareth who did the vendors, dvi and myself came up with the idea of the silent auction house because we felt people would like it more to be able to see items and take their time bidding, also we didnt know if people would want to submit items after pacific so we tried to convince them it was safe, having dvi's name included helped because a lot of people knew who he was as the creator of the idea of rares festivals, i was nervous at first dealing with billions of gold worth of items but then it wasnt so bad, lineman teamed up with me and sundina doing the silent auction at the next chessy fest and the current LS festival, each one we do we think of more efficient ways to run the auction house and make it as fair as we can to the sellers and bidders, we think we got it pretty good this time

during the first silent auction, we were worried the pacific thieves would try something on chessy but they didn't which was good

as far as i know, people prefer a silent auction compared to a live one, if not feel free to say something, ty

King_Fisher

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Both have positives and negatives. Live Auctions give life and a fun form of PVP buying, but the annoyance of being bid up. Silent auctions lack the excitement of moment to moment bidding, but have longer wait periods for Auction end times giving flexability to bidders. I'm sure auctioneers don't miss the annoyance of 25-50 yelling people though.

I Vote for Both! woot!

Lord Gareth

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Some good ideas in this thread and I have no problem working towards implementing them...... after the LS festival.

So the next items on the agenda will be future Rares Fest proposals and a permanent or picked volunteer auction staff for future festivals.
*Remembers to make suggestions more often and push Athelas in front of the bus*

That worked out well woot woot

Thunderz

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im gona bring this back to the front page an finally put my 2 cent in, i wouldnt advise this going ahead as one of the people offering to run this fest has just done some trades with Oblivion at luna bank and one other is in gem chat right now backing up shenobis "credability" and even has a gate rune in his house to shinobis fell house.

Just an FYI be care full on atl who you deal with or trust.

Thunderz

Rare Collector

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Im gona bring this back to the front page an finally put my 2 cent in, i wouldnt advise this going ahead as one of the people offering to run this fest has just done some trades with Oblivion at luna bank and one other is in gem chat right now backing up shenobis "credability" and even has a gate rune in his house to shinobis fell house.

Just an FYI be care full on atl who you deal with or trust.

Thunderz
Well Shinobi isn't a scammer (thief and scammer are 2 totally different things) and his felucca house is an actual vendor house thats safe to shop at (in fel magincia which is inside the guard zone so its perfectly safe)

And you can ask anybody that comes to my auction on Atlantic its 100% legit never scammed anyone with it and never will...

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Shinobi isn't a scammer (thief and scammer are 2 totally different things) and his felucca house is an actual vendor house thats safe to shop at (in fel magincia which is inside the guard zone so its perfectly safe)

And you can ask anybody that comes to my auction on Atlantic its 100% legit never scammed anyone with it and never will...
If you feel that way, then your idea of scammer differs from mine.

I've been warned that "If you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything at all"

So .... That's all I'm gonna say about that ;)

Rare Collector

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you feel that way, then your idea of scammer differs from mine.

I've been warned that "If you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything at all"

So .... That's all I'm gonna say about that ;)
A thief is someone who uses the stealing skill, a scammer just tricks people into giving them their stuff (I dont play a thief and im not a scammer im just stating that there is a difference between the 2)

Kraxal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So let's get a date and a time? Or at least make a decision. I know that an Atlantic Rarefest would have a fantastic turnout. Ive got items waiting to go in the auction. So whats up? The rarefest auctions are awesome btw! Thanks.

N

Nightly Spirit

his felucca house is an actual vendor house thats safe to shop at (in fel magincia which is inside the guard zone so its perfectly safe)
He is a well known and a very well skilled thief. Guard zone or not, nothing is "perfectly safe" when buying anything from a vendor in fel. By the time you could insure it he could have it in his pack and be gone.

Ken of Napa

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A thief is someone who uses the stealing skill, a scammer just tricks people into giving them their stuff (I dont play a thief and im not a scammer im just stating that there is a difference between the 2)
I guess I lied about not saying anything else cause:

When someone makes a character just to become a member of a guild, so they can then steal from a guildmates pack in Luna. Some people may call that "just being a thief" I personally call it "being a scam artist". Perhaps the misconception is mine, that's just the way I feel.

Now I am done, sorry to de-rail this thread as much as I have.

Rare Collector

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He is a well known and a very well skilled thief. Guard zone or not, nothing is "perfectly safe" when buying anything from a vendor in fel. By the time you could insure it he could have it in his pack and be gone.
And thats why there is multiple warnings at the house tele, theres 2 parrots named to warn people that its felucca AND the tele tile has a warning before going into felucca houses.

L

Lothar of Malas Univ

I could see this pulling more water if it was proposed by perhaps Mr. Nice or even Yible. But I dont think you really have the place to voice anything on the scale of a Rares Fest given the amount of time you have spent in the world of rares. To me this just feels like a big publicity stunt for toad town. A town that has only been around for a year, give or take a month.

Also, the point of being high rank of the crux doesn't fly when the only requirement is to just show up at all the meetings. I would find a better platform to stand on.

I also agree Atlantic doesn't really need a rares fest right now. It is very fair system in place. Shards with less numbers deserve the rares fest, as it allows them a chance to promote their turf. To many rare fests on Atlantic is kind of a major slap in the face.

Varrius

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Atlantic is my main shard and I'm always in general chat. Since stratics won't allow me to say too much about these individuals, I'll just say that I wouldn't trust Mr. Nice, Yibbles and especially Bon Iver with any of my items and I find it extremely funny that all three are working together on this.

T

Tulatheone

Hellu :) New to the "Odd stuff dealing".. But i must ask, what happend on Pacific? *Curious*

G

Gunga_Din

As Dictator of Rares, I've decided there will be no Rares Fest held on Atlantic by the 3 stooges.

CASE CLOSED

Rare Collector

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Atlantic is my main shard and I'm always in general chat. Since stratics won't allow me to say too much about these individuals, I'll just say that I wouldn't trust Mr. Nice, Yibbles and especially Bon Iver with any of my items and I find it extremely funny that all three are working together on this.
Well 1st, Mr Nice isn't part of this. Second, just because you wouldn't trust me with your items doesn't mean that I'm not trustworthy. My auction gets 30+ items submitted from people every week and nobody has even lost an item or been scammed out of gold.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Atlantic does not need another rares fest. Would it be easier for alot of us if it WAS on Atl? Yea...But it wouldnt help the shard at all.

Rares Fests server another purpose, and that is to help the economy on the server they are on. The Rares Fests should go to smaller shards that might be in need of some economical boosts.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If someone could read, they'd realize that I created a forums account in January, not joined the game in January. If you have any problems you can say them to me and not to Queen Arya. Quit being a pessimist and actually read. I had stated that this was just a rough idea and it WASNT SET IN STONE. I am not taking any leadership in this, I just volunteered to post this to get a public opinion, and one which was set rather negatively from you Bathroom Cowboy.

As for you Nabin, Yible and I have come up with some ideas:
UO Trivia
Taming Event
Free for All Fel event
Vendor Deco Event
Silent Auction
Auction
Raffle
Last toad standing (everyone tames a bullfrog and summon a harbinger)
House collapse with items inside
Scavenger hunt
think you just killed any chance you had of organising a future rares fest

Restroom Cowboy really IS somebody you need to listen to

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Atlantic does not need another rares fest. Would it be easier for alot of us if it WAS on Atl? Yea...But it wouldnt help the shard at all.

Rares Fests server another purpose, and that is to help the economy on the server they are on. The Rares Fests should go to smaller shards that might be in need of some economical boosts.
I really like people who think like this! How can we have fun, get together, and benefit a community at the same time!.

Excellent statement my friend. :thumbsup:

CrazyNinja

Visitor
Stratics Veteran

Rares Fests serve another purpose, and that is to help the economy on the server they are on. The Rares Fests should go to smaller shards that might be in need of some economical boosts.
ohhhhh and BINGO was his name-o!

Pacific would be good. Catskills, Legends, Baja even Origin would be a good idea. Preferably one that hasn't already had one. ( I am unsure where all the fests have been)

G

Gunga_Din

Well 1st, Mr Nice isn't part of this. Second, just because you wouldn't trust me with your items doesn't mean that I'm not trustworthy. My auction gets 30+ items submitted from people every week and nobody has even lost an item or been scammed out of gold.
What you gonna scam them out of? a heritage token? We aren't talking 100k items.

F

Fraggles

:thumbsup: The last fest on LS was a huge treat for everyone on the shard. Its a small shard and we have not had that much excitment in a long time. We had many many players that had not really been interested in rares come and check it out and they where able to get some little items to start there very first collections. I think thats A big part of The rares fest, getting new people interested and show small shards that there is another world out there! Not to mention it gave people the opertunity to make some gold that they would not have had the chance to make and go spend it on rares at the fest. I am totally all for haveing it on smaller shards...remember if you build it the WILL come! It does not really matter to me where the next fest is...i will help out where i can and im sure i will be there where ever it is.
I think a list of past Hosts is a good idea so that perhaps the next hosters can contact past hosters and answer questions ect. i know i has asking past hosters for info and to make sure i had everything coverd.

Angel Dust

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am offering to host a fest on test shard, anyone interested in attending?

Rare Collector

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What you gonna scam them out of? a heritage token? We aren't talking 100k items.
I'm not even going to continue this argument its pointless, people that have dealt with me know I'm not a scammer. Not going to waste my time trying to convince people that I'm legit.

Kraxal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have read some interesting arguments here. There is no doubt that moving around to smaller shards would and does help that shard out in some way. But the money in the game follows these fests. The richer or prominent players go from shard to shard buying items off of each other.
And I think the main thing that going to other shards effects or helps out with, is the collectors ability to pick up items cheap from the locals who might not have went to other shards to sell their wares.
The rares fests are fun filled events no matter where they are held. I will continue to attend. But they dont exactly hold the Olympics in places like Mayberry R.F.D. if you know what I mean. And I have never seen a world's fair scheduled to take place in Horseshoe Bend, Idaho.
Atlantic brings all the boys to the yard just like Sakarra's milkshake!
Thanks.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have read some interesting arguments here. There is no doubt that moving around to smaller shards would and does help that shard out in some way. But the money in the game follows these fests. The richer or prominent players go from shard to shard buying items off of each other.
And I think the main thing that going to other shards effects or helps out with, is the collectors ability to pick up items cheap from the locals who might not have went to other shards to sell their wares.
The rares fests are fun filled events no matter where they are held. I will continue to attend. But they dont exactly hold the Olympics in places like Mayberry R.F.D. if you know what I mean. And I have never seen a world's fair scheduled to take place in Horseshoe Bend, Idaho.
Atlantic brings all the boys to the yard just like Sakarra's milkshake!
Thanks.
Real life also doesn't have the population decreasing....

Here is how small shards will get help from us:
1. Selling and purchasing of event items - (I know people who dont get on stratics or cant afford to be hopping around shards. If a rares fest goes to a smaller shard, the collectors may get some nice items not usually posted on stratics and the population of the shard will have a chance to purchase items they may not have had a chance to get otherwise. Alot of new collectors sometimes rise up from these rares fests, and promoting it to a new shard will increase overall activity).

2. General Market - As collectors we generally travel with lots of gold. I know lots of times coming from a high end shard there are things generally cheaper on a smaller shard. At all rares fests I also check vendors ect to maybe also pick up items to take back with me. In return this gives the community already on the shard a chance to sell items that maybe weren't selling as well with the smaller community. Remember folks, the rares fest also does increase general vendor activity outside of the fest as well.

3. Movement - Smaller shards may see a boost in permanent population. Maybe a pvper who collects checks fel out and sees some decent action, they then decide to maybe bring a character there full time. A roleplayer finds a RP community they wouldn't have found otherwise, someone finds a good group of people and decides to stay. I have seen it before in the past, preconceived notions about a shard are sometimes dispelled, a new light is set upon it, and people decide to bring characters full time.

The Rares Fest should always be about the community first and foremost. The Rares Community is the wealthiest and one of the most influential. We also cant be greedy. If we want to continue to grow as a community, and also help UO's community to grow the Rares Fest should be used as a building tool. Lots of things are on the decline ladies and gentleman, and it is our responsibility to step up among everyone and do what we can to make sure we all grow stronger. If the smaller shards are forgotten about then everything we do is for nothing, as their demise will lead to all of ours.

Lord Nabin

Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Real life also doesn't have the population decreasing....

Here is how small shards will get help from us:
1. Selling and purchasing of event items - (I know people who dont get on stratics or cant afford to be hopping around shards. If a rares fest goes to a smaller shard, the collectors may get some nice items not usually posted on stratics and the population of the shard will have a chance to purchase items they may not have had a chance to get otherwise. Alot of new collectors sometimes rise up from these rares fests, and promoting it to a new shard will increase overall activity).

2. General Market - As collectors we generally travel with lots of gold. I know lots of times coming from a high end shard there are things generally cheaper on a smaller shard. At all rares fests I also check vendors ect to maybe also pick up items to take back with me. In return this gives the community already on the shard a chance to sell items that maybe weren't selling as well with the smaller community. Remember folks, the rares fest also does increase general vendor activity outside of the fest as well.

3. Movement - Smaller shards may see a boost in permanent population. Maybe a pvper who collects checks fel out and sees some decent action, they then decide to maybe bring a character there full time. A roleplayer finds a RP community they wouldn't have found otherwise, someone finds a good group of people and decides to stay. I have seen it before in the past, preconceived notions about a shard are sometimes dispelled, a new light is set upon it, and people decide to bring characters full time.

The Rares Fest should always be about the community first and foremost. The Rares Community is the wealthiest and one of the most influential. We also cant be greedy. If we want to continue to grow as a community, and also help UO's community to grow the Rares Fest should be used as a building tool. Lots of things are on the decline ladies and gentleman, and it is our responsibility to step up among everyone and do what we can to make sure we all grow stronger. If the smaller shards are forgotten about then everything we do is for nothing, as their demise will lead to all of ours.
This is correct please no one miss the importeant part at the end! Great Post! I think you clearly get the concept of the Rares Fest. :thumbsup:

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a reminder, when I hopped on Pac for their rares fest the first thing I did was say...hey wait...something isn't right. Even I got shiested.

Honestly, I do not know why this thread is still hanging around. IMO you all should just kill this dying horse and work on the discussion of the next rares fest in a new thread. Also, for those who forgot...there were other people who asked to hold this fest well before this assumptive thread took place.

Last...I am not going to hammer out specifics here...but there were very good reasons I spoke out. Varrius is correct, there are many a shady thing afoot.

Kraxal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How is this thread a dying horse? The votes are in favor of an Atlantic Rarefest?? Cowboy? lol

Yes these fests do bring some unique rares and items to other shards. But if a player wanted to buy one of these unique rares or items, which are extremely costly, then he or she could definitely afford to transfer somewhere else to buy it. Of course there are good aspects to visiting dead shards. But this also allows more people with a lot of gold to pillage the rares off of these shards for cheap prices. Noone transfers to a dead shard and stays. They come and they take. I think the fests make these other shards even smaller by players transferring all of the rares off of them. I am sure the intentions are good from a creative standpoint. And who doesn't love the game of Ultima Online? The rarefests are fun to attend and give you something to do in game. But if you really care about UO then bring a friend back. Call them up and say hey lets play some UO! And share your wealth. Try to encourage the younger player by giving him something.

There are people left and right on Atlantic. Just think if all of them, or even some more of them, were to get involved in these rarefests and started following you guys around? I would help promote it since I am now aware of these events. A well promoted rarefest on Atlantic would be unparalleled.

And Nabin. Your investments in Atlantic have increased ten fold. I am sure you are a great guy and all but you remind of that dude in the movie pretty woman. Buying up everyones accounts and houses and liquidating them. Dont get me wrong its an awesome racket and I am a little envious of your amassed wealth. But you didnt spend billions on Asuka if you know what I mean. We are all guilty of buying up other shards wealth and heading out. Soo what are we leaving them with? Our sentiments?

It is impossible to believe or say that a raresfest on Atlantic is a bad idea. Whether it be for the players, or for the game, an Atlantic raresfest is a win win situation and that is what this thread is about. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.