• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

At last... well done Devs... over 1,000,000 players in 20 yrs

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
at last some numbers have been told... hey 1000000 is not too shoddy.... yes not up there with WOW numbers but still over 1000000 peeps tried and played UO... cant see the link off hand but was posted in the last week by the staff...

and no i didnt dream it either....

happy 20th anniversary UO!!

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
at last some numbers have been told... hey 1000000 is not too shoddy.... yes not up there with WOW numbers but still over 1000000 peeps tried and played UO... cant see the link off hand but was posted in the last week by the staff...

And how many remaining exactly? What has gone before is a record in time. What is important is how many we have now. I'd estimate circa 5k which would be 0.5% of that one million. A very small fraction and a pitiful number for an MMO in this era.

Rather than celebrating we should be asking why did 99.5% of our playerbase dessert the game.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards

Ummm... have not seen this anywhere else.. anyone have a link?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's total accounts created, adn I'm sure includes RTB accounts as well. Seems somewhere long ago the number 250k was tossed around as the most active at one time.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And how many remaining exactly? What has gone before is a record in time. What is important is how many we have now. I'd estimate circa 5k which would be 0.5% of that one million. A very small fraction and a pitiful number for an MMO in this era.

Rather than celebrating we should be asking why did 99.5% of our playerbase dessert the game.
Oh please. UO hasn't survived couple of Studio hatchet jobs and other turbulence out of kindness in EA's heart or anything. It continues to survive because it is profitable. MMO remaining alive, profitable and in VERY active live development for 20 years is extremely impressive. Certainly so impressive that cramming doom and gloom to every thread appears bit stale and silly.

It is true there isn't a huge amount of players left. It is also true game, without a doubt, comes with INSANE profit margins. You can be sure the average UO player puts much more money into his game than the average WoW player to his.

UO does have a very tragic aura of a dead or quiet game; current playerbase is scattered around Shards build to sustain like 200k people. Even most successful MMOs out there are constantly doing gardening; merging or killing servers as population shifts and shrinks. Most modern MMos are far simpler games than UO in many ways; due to housing alone, UO doesn't have the same freedom for " Shard Gardening" as a realistic option. There is no clear solution for this and the game suffers a great deal because of that. If 1:1 the current playerbase would suddenly get crammed within one shard in Europe, one shard in US, one shard in Japan, UO would suddenly become a very populated and overcrowded game, heh.

Last edited:

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It's fine to split into multi-shards with lower population... I can place 4 houses at the best location in my shard now, less crowd to compete with at spawns, lesser raid at champ, and if we need to gather, we do so at events and fill up the screen with fireworks and many players who travel across shards. All is good!

@Kyronix I see you!! Please help to solve my Spellweaving bug, see my email pleassssssse!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

General Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
one shard in Europe, one shard in US, one shard in Japan, UO would suddenly become a very populated and overcrowded game, heh.
+ one down here for Oceania too please :) My ping to the other side of Australia is slow, I'd have to give up if I had to play an overseas shard.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've prolly made a solid 400 trial accounts alone, so I hope they are not adding those in. If they are then this isn't an achievement...

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Here's a couple of websites for your enjoyment.
No idea how reliable any of this is, but it's still interesting to read.
  • Ultima online population estimation based on Reddit posts: Link
  • SoTA forums discussion on UO population: Link

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix mentioned it during the anniversary, said there was a total of 1 million active accounts during UO's lifetime
ah i knew .. id seen it.... read it ...heard it somewere.. i wasnt dreaming after all....great milestone...as is 20 years...if theres a 25th... i will be just about ready to retire....mmmm maybe a treat next time