• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Asian Themed Homes?

• Thread starter envinyatar
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
E

envinyatar

So I am in the process of redecorating my 18x18 and am obsessed with the Asian Themed homes and deco pieces. I also like to display my favorite possessions and books. Does anyone have any pics or how-to's that might spark my creativity (I'm in a rut :thumbdown:)?

Thanks!!

E

envinyatar

Thanks La Belle! I visited the asian shards about two years ago when I transferred around buying and selling items and they are so creative I don't think I can keep up! I'll make sure to take a tour sometime this week and take plenty of pictures.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made this for a guild whose RP background was Asian pirates. It was for their guild house and had to be roomy for gatherings and fortress like because it is in Fel. Not sure it is "Asian" other than it looks like a big old pagoda, but I had fun making it. The owner entered it in a housing contest. I saw that someone had made almost an exact copy of it later so I guess at least one person liked it. :D

-Skylark

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
found a link to this page over on The Lost Lands site.... it's all in Japanese (cept for "Santa Claus is Coming!) and the houses are all holiday deco, but there are some nice designs

from athos

athos may be posting on the Asian shard forums, so perhaps contacting him might be helpful?

have fun!

~edit~ shows ya how much attention I pay to things outside my little circle.... there are no Asian shard forums :confused:

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is an outdoor cafe & vendor house I made for someone, directly outside the east Zento wall.

-Skylark

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The pink bow & cotton bale tree and those red lanterns made out of piles of wool, keys gold wire, mortar & pestle, necklace, and crystal balls, are great!

-Skylark

E

envinyatar

Skylark-- those homes you made are beautiful! I never knew you could do levels like that.

LaBelle-- thank you for posting your screenshots. I wish I was home now instead of at work, I would be at the travel agent right now booking my tour of the Asian shards.. heehee

DevilsOwn-- thanks for the link, I really wish I could read Japanese, but the shots are great. I wish our UO site was as nice as theirs =(

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are a couple of Asian-themed houses I've done. They are not nearly as elaborate as the ones Skylark and Belle posted and they definitely leave a lot to be desired in their decorations!

This first big farmhouse type house is still not finished. I was trying to do some sort of courtyard. It definitely needs windows or something on the east wall. Hopefully once it's decorated it won't look quite so plain jane.

I like this next one, especially the seating outside.

This last one is similar but was set up to accommodate vendors on the east and north sides.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Belle, here is the farmhouse-type house. I haven't spent any time decorating it. Kind of just threw some stuff in it after I collapsed the waterfall house that's in another thread. It's the only house where I've successfully made a bent staircase but I don't like the color of the gazas!

Same house in KR:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is one of the small houses. I started to decorate it but didn't get very far. Also ended up plopping junk in it too. *sighs*

The other similar house with the space for vendors is not decorated at all. Just has a bunch of ugly brown chests in it that don't match at all. LOL

Here are screen shots in KR:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I debated whether or not to post this last house. It's my main house on Baja, but it is quite neglected. The first two floors are very messy. No rune library at this house and I ended up plopping lots of runes on the floor, along with other assorted junk that I wanted to remember I had. I'm only posting it here because it has a bit of an Asian theme to it. A friend once told me it looks like a modern office building. So....keep that in mind if you decide to try to replicate it to any degree. :lol:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, Belle. That is just awesome. So many details to look at. Lots of ideas for things I'd like to try. I especially like the ponds and waterfalls. Never would have thought of using the gazas and cut off steps like that.

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love that little village of pagodas in Zento on Catskills. And that heart water feature on the roof in one shot is very clever. I always wanted to use the curved stone walls but unfortunately they are completely porous to spells, and are a death trap in Fel...but using it for just a decoration on the roof is a great idea and would work anywhere! :)

*plots swiping potential*

-Skylark

E

envinyatar

These are some amazing homes ya'll are posting! I never knew you could put things on a roof. Keep the screen shots coming!! :popcorn:

PS... I'll make sure to post the progress on my house, I'm going to start tomorrow.

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone know what item is used for the base to the lily pads in this pic?

It looks like it might be a dark green dyed round shipwreck pillow on top, but I can't tell what the paler green base is made from. It looks too big to be a kasa, and I am assuming it has to be something made from cloth because it is dyed.

-Skylark

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone know what item is used for the base to the lily pads in this pic?

It looks like it might be a dark green dyed round shipwreck pillow on top, but I can't tell what the paler green base is made from. It looks too big to be a kasa, and I am assuming it has to be something made from cloth because it is dyed.

-Skylark
Floppy hats, not pillows...not sure what is underneath them tho. =D

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Floppy hats, not pillows...not sure what is underneath them tho. =D
Ah yes, I see the little bump in the middle for the hat now. Thanks! I thought it might be an obi on the bottom but I don't think the edge on them looks quite like that...I guess I'll just have to go through the menu when I get a chance. I just made a cloth pond for someone's castle roof, and wanted a bit of different color and like that idea of the lily pads for a color contrast.

-Skylark

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah yes, I see the little bump in the middle for the hat now. Thanks! I thought it might be an obi on the bottom but I don't think the edge on them looks quite like that...I guess I'll just have to go through the menu when I get a chance. I just made a cloth pond for someone's castle roof, and wanted a bit of different color and like that idea of the lily pads for a color contrast.

-Skylark
I can't remember the features on the custom water tiles, I know one is a rock and maybe there is another thingy?...I suspect that is what they have used, except for the greenish cast to it, since none of them are raised up with the dec tool to be less uniformly rowed/columned and more natural looking.

E

Evilminion

*fishing around on the floor under her desk, trying to find her jaw*

Wow, and I thought I was doing pretty well with my new Asian-style home, but now I'm seeing just how much of a rank amateur I am, heehee! Back to the drawing board, and thanks to all for the inspiration!

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can't remember the features on the custom water tiles, I know one is a rock and maybe there is another thingy?...I suspect that is what they have used, except for the greenish cast to it, since none of them are raised up with the dec tool to be less uniformly rowed/columned and more natural looking.
There is a light colored rock and dark colored one...the dark one looks like this:

The light green color has me stumped as it really looks like another item beneath the floppy hat. It is shaped a lot like one of the SE plate hats (looks like an oblong metal pancake) but of course you can't make that pale green unless you made it with a special metal and dyed it with the dryad green tokuno dyes.

-Skylark

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ack, sorry! hehehe Take a few hours off the boards and miss a question.

The lilypads are made of a zoogi fungus (could use miniature mushroom too for a different color), floppy hat, and an obi.

The colors on the dyeable items come from the standard dye tub.
LOL...thanks for clearing up the mystery...I guess my initial suspicion about the obi was correct after all.

Going to have to use that. :)

-Skylark

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a munchkin one I made for a friend. This one was a challenge to make - the requirements were blend with the game surroundings (Zento) be secure (on Siege) and allow the owner to move around in the tiny space and not get blocked by items and house fixtures.

-Skylark

E

Evilminion

As I had a second account with no house, and Zento lacks a public mahjong pavilion, I decided to correct the oversight. ;) ;)

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So cute, Evilminion!

The only thing, while no reflection on you, I do not like the graphic for the bonsai trees (totally lame & lazy graphic art IMO - they are the wrong perspective and bad detail!). Have you seen the adorable player made bonsais using pink dyed cotton and other items? Some bonsais you construct might set your little game pavilion off to better advantage. :)

-Skylark

Painted Elves

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Evilminion~ so you're the one that placed over there! I am glad to see Zento getting More use. Maybe I should get to work on decorating my 'teahouse'!! :)

Makes me miss the graphics challenge thread with Saphireenas' (sp?) redos....

E

Evilminion

Guilty as charged. :blushing: It was such a cute little spot, and it looked so empty... and I reeeeeeally love mahjong...

If you'd like, though, we could resize it larger and do a joint decoration project on a public teahouse...? :)

Thanks for the thought on bonsai trees, Skylark. I'll try a few other things there to see what might look better!

Painted Elves

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guilty as charged. :blushing: It was such a cute little spot, and it looked so empty... and I reeeeeeally love mahjong...

If you'd like, though, we could resize it larger and do a joint decoration project on a public teahouse...? :)

Thanks for the thought on bonsai trees, Skylark. I'll try a few other things there to see what might look better!

Oops I completely Missed this Post! I am sorry!
I like your little Mahjong House just the way it is, plus I think I am running out of "creative house" juices!!!!
We'll see though... ;)

A

Ashyn

Well I've swiped a few ideas from this thread and created one for my husband where his "pink" house use to be. Remember, immitation is the best form of flattery! I loved Tina's design and went with that....

Main:

Main Inside:

Second Floor Storage:

-Ashyn

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ooooooh, I'm definitely feeling flattered!

I like how that turned out, Ashyn. May have to steal some of your ideas now. LOL

F

Flora Green

This thread is long buried, but I was looking for Asian inspiration. I just placed a house last night and low and behold it's the same spot as Skylark's design in post #29. What I'm wondering is if that is a 9x14?

D

Dragon Mist

Here are some shoots of tmy asian style house. It is need of a little rework but I just havent had the time.

The house is located on the Baja shard, if you take the north west road out of Zento it is on the south side of the road. I hope this helps some.

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dragon...I really like your arch on the southeast corner of the plot. That is a great look with the plaster sections for pillars, and I love the butterfly origami accent.

The overall plot design is wonderful. The only element that doesn't suit my personal taste is the color of the roof...but I blame EA for that mostly - they give us such a "wonderful" selection, basic black or poorly/strangely rehued tiles of same. *bleh*

-Skylark

Desperado_SE

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread is long buried, but I was looking for Asian inspiration. I just placed a house last night and low and behold it's the same spot as Skylark's design in post #29. What I'm wondering is if that is a 9x14?
From counting the tiles, I'm pretty sure it is a 9*14.

F

Flora Green

Ah thanks, Desperado. The pics weren't loading at the bottom so I wasn't sure. I fit a 9x14 as well and was wondering if I could go a bit more. Now I have to figure out what to do with it. :)

Skylark SP

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Flora, sorry I didn't see your question earlier...unfortunately that little house is long gone so I couldn't get a measurement for you. The pic is the only thing left. :)

-Skylark

F

Flora Green

That's okay, Skylark. It's easy to lose posts in such a large thread. Especially with all the images. :)

D

Dragon Mist

Thx Skylark,
I agree with your comments on the roof but I tried other colors but they looked just as bad or worse so I chose a light color to brighten the look of the house. It would be great if they would put a dye tub in the customization screens but the side effect would be some horrible colored houses.

C

Calla Lily

These houses are gorgeous! I'm curious. How do you place items on the water if you can't walk on it? Some of them are too high to be placed with a decorating too from outside the water, aren't they?

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The trick is to place, raise with a deco tool (several clicks, more if you want to place half-walls or posts underneath) and then go back into customize mode and place your water tiles. You will then be able to lower the items right onto the water tiles without losing them to your moving crate. The same basic idea is used for making 2 or 3-story player-made trees, etc... just have to have floor and teleport below the items, lock them as wanted, and erase the floor to leave them floating!

C

Calla Lily

Thanks for that tip! Now I just need another house to play with :)

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. CATSKILLS, ZENTO
Unfortunately while this home is public, the entrances are not, so I did the best I could to show what can be seen of the interior.
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg19/Aspidistrae/CatskillsZentoJapanese.jpg
This house above is someone's carbon-copy of my old Malas house, which *I* designed from scratch the day I got my Tokuno copy. I even posted it here on Stratics way back then... so there's the real and original house -with those 'missing' interior and upstairs shots. :D

Since I'm a glutton for punishment... here's two more of my Tokuno-style houses, actually built in Tokuno this time, on the plot I currently still own:
House #6 in 2D and in KR (I normally play in KR nowadays.)
House #7 Exterior, Inside, Upstairs, and Attic - just before a renovation, 'scuse the mess!