• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Artisan festival questions

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I'm posting this here as well as the Hall in hopes of getting replies:

I have several GM crafters (5, I think) and have gathered a decent number of BODs - but not nearly enough for all cities.

Can anyone share tips on how to acquire more large BODs? The only approach I can see is to complete BODs as fast as possible, and turn them in for more BODs. I did this with fletching, and my large BOD return rate was about 5%. I turned in roughly 50 small BODs, and got 48 more smalls and 2 larges. Is there a better way to acquire more larges? I've checked vendor search and no one is selling BODs at all on on LS (well, one BOD is for sale total).

Also, do all large BODs count the same toward the tree's progress, or are they based on the turn-in point value? I can get a 2-item large fletching BOD, or a 6-item large blacksmithing BOD. Do they both count the same toward the tree's progress?

Just trying to understand how to help grow the trees in the best way possible .

Any advice you can offer is appreciate.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As others have pointed out on the U.Hall thread, Smalls are 2% of face value (their banked value), while larges have a 20% banked value. Some of them really are NOT worth doing (especially the archery larges for the ML bow types)

The best way to get a lot of larges - follow these steps.
A. Get all your BODs for the day.
B. Sort all your small BODs on hand into four categories (by skill required)
  1. BODs that you can fill by buying from NPCs (normal iron, normal cloth, normal leather, normal wood - some might still require crafting).
  2. BODs that you can fill by crafting with base materials (iron, cloth, regular wood, etc. - this includes exceptional BODs, but also 4-5 of the cloth smalls, bone armor, etc. regardless of quality)
  3. BODs that aren't worth the effort to fill (cost too much, too difficult, or require multiple steps. Examples include: The (potion) keg BOD, Shortbow and Elven Composite Bows, BODs whose items require you to make parts with one skill, then combine those products with another).
  4. All other BODs (colored smalls and larges, base material larges, etc. not in the first 3 groups
For groups 1 & 2, sort out complete sets of the things that can't be bribed up to special materials, but have larges. For example, smith Weapons smalls, tailor cloth smalls, and the other skills baseline BOD smalls for larges. Preferably, keep 20-count BODs (always assume that you will bribe everything to 20 count). If you actually have larges for that set, keep all the small BODs you need for that many LBODS PLUS AT LEAST ONE. I personally have books dedicated to each of the Smith Weapons Larges and Tailor cloth Larges, where I have 1-3 sets of ALL the smalls needed for that large, in 20 count (normal and exceptional).

After accumulating those sets,
  • Take the remaining BODs from group 1, buy the items to fill them off vendors, and fill the smalls. Note that some of the tinker and carpenter BODs are broken, and will not let you fill with bought items (while others are broken to ONLY let you fill them with bought items)
  • Take the remaining items from group 2, and fill them via crafting. Feel free to fill any of the sets along the way (I usually fill the smalls of both normal and exceptional items simultaneously, if it's something like Bone Armor or the higher end cooking smalls where even max skill and a 30% exceptional talisman isn't enough to make 100% exceptional)
  • Put the BODs from group 3 on a vendor priced to sell. Someone will be desperate enough during the festival to buy most of them.
  • For group 4, sort out the ones for large sets. Fill the rest as your resource budget allows.
At this point, take all the smalls filled from groups 1 & 2 that aren't for large sets (or your extras not being saved), and start turning them in one at a time at the skill NPC, getting in replacement BODs (if you keep the number of BODs you can claim from turning in at 2 or less, your BOD request timer keeps running). You might want to turn some of them in for 250-use tools or materials (cloth prices can get outrageous during the festival), the rest for banked points. be sure to take a BOD book to put the new BODs back into.

Once done, repeat the sorting process from the top.

When you get time, start filling the Larges, and put them aside for the festival. Play with trying to bribe smalls to get the specific smalls you need, but expect to have to trade or try a lot, and that most BODs will go to 20 count and exceptional. Getting a specific color material may be expensive, so it's best to try to get to 20 Ex, then bribe up through materials from there. You're more likely to get a color jump than a number or quality jump, when color is a possibility - so try to start with or bribe the large to 20 count first, and bribe up lower material 20-count smalls to whatever material the large is.
For example, it might take bribing 5, 10, or more iron 10-count armor smalls before getting one to a shadow iron 15-count small, (which will require at least 3 bribes, 4 for exceptional), because some of them will go to 20 count before reaching shadow iron, or (if needing exceptional), jump to copper instead of going from normal to exceptional on one of the bribes. So, it's best to start with an already-exceptional small when bribing for an exceptional large, and to concentrate on the 20-counts, where the bribing won't backstab you along the way by going to the item count. At least with iron weapons and cloth outfits, this won't be an issue, but expect that you'll be bribing to and using a lot of 20-count barbed footwear BODs in the process of filling the cloth LBODs (I run out of leather 20 count footwear smalls on the first day, typically, and you too often have to bribe all the way up to barbed first just to get that pesky sandal or boot small to start increasing from 10-count to 15, to 20 - but sometimes you get lucky)

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I had no idea you could fill BODs with store-bought items. I've been crafting arrows and bolts, and bows, and yumis, and crossbows, and . . . ugh. I'm so glad to know this before I burn through all my wood!

Thargor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Once you see prices for arrows and bolts, you will go back to crafting them for bods

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
don't know if you are aware...
if you use the option, combine this deed with contained items,
you can target your backpack on your paperdoll
and it will take them all from your main backpack.
(just like it does when you target the bag that you made them in)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Once you see prices for arrows and bolts, you will go back to crafting them for bods
I just keep loot from changelings and centaurs in my bank. I've crafted shafts for BODs, but not bought arrows or bolts out of a need for them in over a decade (the last time I remember crafting any, it was to get rid of a lot of regular boards I had, that I sold to profit off the absurd ammo prices).