• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Arms lore is killing me

B

Boogieman

Ok, my smith is at 110 smithy (trained from 50), but arms lore is just 98,4 and that's also from training fletching to 75! Why is it so slow??
Is GM arms lore important you might ask. Well, I want that extra 1 % DMI / resist before I start doing any runic smithing (runic addict). I got impatient and tried the satyr discord trick using the skill actively. That was mindnumbingly slow - I gained like 0,2 in 45 minutes. I cannot recommend it.

I suppose I could just spend like 8 hours sitting in my house arms loring untill I GM - but it just feels annoying that the skill doesn't more or less follow smithy so that at the time you got to GM smithy you also were at least close to GM lore.

Mind you - my tailor is legendary tailor and 90 carpentry - and 92 lore :( Admittedly not all the tailor training gives lore gains, but still...

Well, just wanted to get it off my chest.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good Luck dude, I am going through the same thing right now. Been raising arms-lore non-stop for for 2 days now and I am at 98.0. I hope I can get it done by tomarrow.

Also, could someone please fill me in. Exactly how important is arms-lore in crafting? Where can I find documentation about this? Everyone I know says to not bother crafting without arms lore. What bonus does arms-lore actually add? I cannot find any literature about this hehe. I do seem to remember hearing about it over a year ago and that it was going to be a factor with wither crafting or enhancing.

Can someone please direct me to the info on arms lore in regards to crafting? Because if there is no added bonus to crafting or enhancing, what is the point in having arms-lore?

:gun:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Suggestion - get a BIG pile of hat BODs and fill them. Hat BODs give lore gains, and the exceptionals can be filled even by a ZERO skill human tailor (using my hat BODs to raise the skill on my FLETCHER, right now).

Now, if all three skills are one one character, suggest:

1. Fill all the hat BODs you get, using crafting - ditto for the weapons BODs for smith. you'll get about 1 Arms lore gain every 250-300 items made.
2. If you're training smith to 120, make royal circlets - they use a lot less ingots than plate and will give lore gains as well - it took about 4000 circlets for me to take a 116 smith to 120, not counting 1 GGS gain in the middle (And if you use 105 mining & a salvage bag, you get 5 ingots back every smelt, out of ever 6 from made circlets)
3. get about 20k boards and do the heartwood Ingenious archery quests (whichever is the one toughest for you) for both fletching & arms lore gains. Even at GM fletching, I get 1-5 arms lore gains per 2000 boards, with arms lore in the same range as yours.

5% Luck

MY tailor gmed AL alot faster then my smith. My smith is still 98.7 after being 120 for months. I never used the armslore skill stand alone onlt to fill bods. The smithy 1%di isnt realy an annoyance att all. Pfft 1%

B

Boogieman

Hi 5% Luck - I see your point. That 1% isn't going to do much difference in the actual damage done. I guess it's more a feeling of being un-finished - all that time and effort going to reach 120 skill, and yet your lore is not up to par.

The advice about filling hat BODs makes good sense - thanks Basra. Although my smith is certainly going to raise more than one eyebrow when I ask him to pick up a sewing kit... rolleyes:

K

Kallie Pigeon

It's incredibly slow to raise it passively. I guess if you are making enough things then that will be an option still since you have to make all the items anyway. Macroing it makes it go up much faster.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just grab a weapon or piece of armor and armslore it repeatedly. You will gm arms lore fast if your already at 98.4. I would say less than and hour to gm it this way.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Kallie, Zippy, except that it doesn't work for some people.

I tried that for 3 hours once, and couldn't even get a GGS with a skill in the 70s, let alone a normal gain.

If Arms lore gaining from loring an item worked correctly, for everyone all the time, you'd be right. But, it appears to be bugged for some people - including me.

B

brundlefly

If you have access to a soulstone try putting a skill you wont need for crafting onto it for a day or so. It seemed to help me for other skills even when I had plenty of room under the cap.
Give your skill list a quick look. Focus may have 0.4 or something like that left over from your first day of playing before you got a chance to lock the skill.
These may seem like silly answers to some but its all I got :).

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The game is made the same for everyone. If someone can't do something the way its described then your either doing it wrong or you don't have the skill points available. Sorry but I don't believe in bugged chars. I've made many many chars over the years and never once had a bugged char that couldn't gain a skill.

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately, my crafty chars are split between two accounts - I had the mind numbing task of GMing Lore twice:( Just finished the tailor/carp/bowyer one yesterday - slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

I just used the macro that comes with paperdoll - "Use skill" " armslore" then "last target" - and I would target the shield my paperdoll was holding. Then I would grab a paperback and read as I constantly hit the hot key - on a good day I would get 6 - 7 decimals before I gave up.

But +5 Damage or +5 resists is worth the effort...

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry but I don't believe in bugged chars. I've made many many chars over the years and never once had a bugged char that couldn't gain a skill.
Hate playing the devil's advocate, but I have to agree with ZippyTwitch. Arms lore does gain faster with tailoring and fletching it seems from my experience than smithing. I worked on both of those and got it up to around 90 even before getting 110 on smithing. I did the same trick, put a bunch of daggers in a bag and arms lore them over and over. Active use of the skill seems better than passive use. i.e. making a weapon to hope for a gain.

Other than that, best bet is tailoring BODs which someone already mentioned.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i gmed fletching and it got me to around 95 arms lore.
i gmed tailoring and got the last 5 on making ninja hoods..

i only used cloth to gm tailoring and ninja hoods were the only thing it gained on.
im guessing cause cloaks and robes dont have resists..

now i just got to get motivated to get to 120 tailoring heh.

C

Calla Lily

Just grab a weapon or piece of armor and armslore it repeatedly. You will gm arms lore fast if your already at 98.4. I would say less than and hour to gm it this way.
Less than an hour? Not me. In the past two hours I've gotten 6 gains. I'm at 99.5 now. I got stuck really bad at 98.9 for several hours even though I was crossing server lines after each gain. I finally killed myself again, but it still took another hour before I got a gain. It's taken me over 20 hours to get from 32.0 (bought) to 99.5, but I'm not going to sleep until I'm done :)

(edit: I'm done!) I should add that this was all active training with 30 daggers in a box, no BoDs. I had already gm'd bowcraft on this char several years ago, but decided I needed to add arms lore.

Black Tom

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just finished off Arms Lore. I just let it raise while filling weapons BODs. I got about 1 full point a night doing 200 BODs/night. I mixed in a couple nights of hat BODs, but didn't see any difference in the gain rates.

Cost a ton in ingots, but I ended up with 2 gold hammers and 100+ PoF BODs after the turn ins.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I was able to afford some 120 scrolls for my Necro, and a couple other characters, from using BODs to train arms lore, getting the POF rewards, and selling them (and STILL have over 50 POF vials at home for a restock).

B

Boogieman

Thanks all for the feed back. Now my smith is GM armslore. He's working fletching too and that would probably have gotten him to GM passively. But I was eager to start crafting some gear for my chars and I went for the hats - so my smith GM armslore on hats ....:mf_prop:

The game is made the same for everyone. If someone can't do something the way its described then your either doing it wrong or you don't have the skill points available. Sorry but I don't believe in bugged chars. I've made many many chars over the years and never once had a bugged char that couldn't gain a skill.
Naturally the game is the same for everyone. It's the same code that lies beneath. However, that code does give room for a lot of random and seemingly not so random outcomes. Example: My smith makes 300 circlets without getting a gain - then switches to plate gloves and bingo two gains in less than 25 items made. Random? I've seen it too many times to beleive that. That doesn't mean that making another 200 circlets wouldn't have had the result of course. It's not a case of either-or.

Now my tailor is struggling with arms lore - 120 tailoring and 97,2 carpentry (making weapons since 60 or so skill). Arms lore: 95,4. rolleyes: