• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Armor types

Ferines

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hey there,

I'd just like to talk a little about Armor types.

Currently in game, we have access to three different types of armor, with varying rarities. First there is Leather Armor, with medium armor values per tier, Metal Armor, with high armor values per tier and the virtually undropped Cloth Armor, with lower armor values per tier.

Despite the differences in base armor values, there is no recognizable difference between the modifiers/stats that you can find on armor pieces of differing armor types. Because of this, there isn't any reason to care about armor types, and metal armor is automatically the most valuable of the three.

This is a little concerning to me, because it makes Blacksmithing the most valuable equipment crafting skill (although not right now due to the lack of metal recipes) and partially invalidates Leather working and Textile/Tailoring on the side.

And on the PvP balancing side of this (however irrelevant to Citan's final vision), there is no downside of having Metal armor. Ranged characters and melee characters search for the same types of armor. Melee still have the massive downside of being melee, while range get all the benefits of distance as well as having the same tankiness.

Even in the PvE that I've seen, being melee limits you in what dungeons or monsters you can fight. Necro tower is death for lower level/undergeared melees, while Ranged can clear slowly as long as they are careful. Same with Goblins, same with Faces.

I'm not asking for armor type set buffs (like other newer MMOs) that lock characters into archetypes, because I've enjoyed playing plate mages in other games. However I'd like to see some thought put into why people use the armor they do (past the modifiers).

------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like to throw out a suggestion, to start this conversation.

For heavier armors, increase the amount of armor that players get, but also increase the power usage of skills. Platemail is not easy to swing a sword or cast a spell in, so characters become tired more easily.

OR

Decrease the movement speed of characters in heavier armors. Lighter armor provides more mobility and hence it makes sense that it is easier to move around in, compared to bulky metal.

Gestankfaust

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I agree. Not just the armor either. Finding dropped gear that I can actually use is aggravating. Swords with archery or fire magic limits/needs on them. But yeah.....up until today, I was wearing a cloth shirt that had more armor that anything else I could use without upping a skill I hadn't planned on using. It wasn't even a special shirt either. :D

Nimor nim

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
few points :

Metal:
Pro:
high armor
can be enchanted to have even more armor
Cons:
cant be crafted at the moment
some times have negative DR to elements
cant be enchanted with dmg mods

Leather:
Pro:
can be crafted
can be crafted to have anti projectile mods (full gear can give 25%+ (3 items))
can be crafted to have anti cold mods
mid-high level armor
Cons:
almost no drops of high level armor
cant be enchanted with dmg mods

Cloth:
Pro:
can be crafted
can be crafted to have anti rage mod
can be enchanted to have dmg mod up to +17%(if your crazy to go there )
Cons:
low base armor
almost no drop at all of high level cloth gear

both cloth and leather can be crafted with redwall ( armor value of 150+ if done right). :) i use cloth armor for my fire mage.

Asmodeus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I would like to see "heavy armors" metal types if you will have something like arcane spell failure. Meaning if you are a caster a metal type gives you a % of spell failures.

Basically sometimes your spells (abilities) fail. This way you can choose to go metal armor for added defense but at a price.