• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are You There, Robert_EAMythic? It's Me, UO Subscriber...

G

<blockquote><hr>

Fact of the matter is, the UO playerbase as a whole weren't complaining about the graphics of the game before KR. We play the game and accept what it is. Frankly, the 2D graphics work well for UO and have done since inception. Trevelyan kind of highlighted this in his post. The only real gripes were minor interface issues that could maybe have been solved by implementing a few new features into our existing client. It certainly didn't require an entire new client to correct the relatively minor faults.

This leads me to conclude that KR certainly wasn't published for the existing playerbase. Rather, its aim was to attract new players by implementing an interface similar to other MMOs out there as well as, allegedly, better graphics. Has it succeeded? Well, I doubt the UO subscription numbers sky-rocketed based on what I've seen in game. The uptake of the client was also poor by the existing playerbase, and who can blame us? The distribution method for the client sucked first of all with many finding it very difficult to download it. EA failed to take advantage of technology such as torrents which would have made the entire process much easier. Secondly, the client itself was half finished basically when they rushed it out. EA obviously hasn't heard of the adage: "You only get one chance to make a first impression." Unfortunately, many people's first impressions of the client won't have them playing it again for a long, long time if at all. I include myself in this bracket. I've uninstalled the client long ago and sure as hell aren't going to be wasting my time and bandwidth to download it again in a hurry from what I've seen and heard.

It was a pretty naive thought that the new client could bring UO on par with the current offerings in terms of UI or interface matters. The only way to do that would be to implement UO in a proper 3D environment fully and scrap the isometric view. That, very much, constitutes an entire new game, much like UXO was. EA very much threw away the chance to make a top-draw MMO ahead of guys like Blizzard when they foolishly announced that they were scrapping that project in favor of pouring more funds into an ageing UO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very, very true and well put.

L

lysarius

<blockquote><hr>

Hi, may i ask one question to you here?

How long will be the "free game" time we get as a bonus if we buy and play WAR?

thx.

[/ QUOTE ]I personally will not even be considering WAR. I have seen too many games with great potential ingnored and allowed to decay by EA. If they actually put effort, vision, and resources into the future of UO then I would come back, but only because I had a 10 year history with UO.

P

pallas

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Hi, may i ask one question to you here?

How long will be the "free game" time we get as a bonus if we buy and play WAR?

thx.

[/ QUOTE ]I personally will not even be considering WAR. I have seen too many games with great potential ingnored and allowed to decay by EA. If they actually put effort, vision, and resources into the future of UO then I would come back, but only because I had a 10 year history with UO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's people like Robert that make me realize why I would refuse to ever support another EA-related (or now EAMythic) project.

H

Hoody

I love the fact that EA Mythic dosnt even display UO on their website, how are people supposed to even know that KR came out (first due to lack of any advertising) and then further going on to denying its exsitence on their website?

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

I love the fact that EA Mythic dosnt even display UO on their website, how are people supposed to even know that KR came out (first due to lack of any advertising) and then further going on to denying its exsitence on their website?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your "comment" would carry more weight ... if you would link to this website

G

The Fayled life exists only on Stratics. Google is out of reach when the truth might shatter the Dhreams.

F

Fayled Dhreams

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Well, its a fair criticism that I haven't been posting like a madman. So what have I been doing?

First, please try and remember that I have to watch out over three brands (UO, DAoC and WAR) and don't have the luxury to devote myself entirely to UO. That's not an excuse or anything, just a simple fact of my life.

Second, I try and let Jeremy handle the day to day care and feeding of the community. I never liked bosses who step in and trample all over my area of expertise and steal my thunder. I try not to be that person.

Finally, we do have a lot to share and " the community needs to know what we are planning" is a drum I beat frequently. That's actually where I am spending the lion's share of my UO time. I go around to people and stress the importance of live events and how having them on a regular and consistent schedule is important to our community. We talk about bug fixes, when we can announce what is going on with the next live event and debate many other things about UO. Meetings chew up a lot of my time.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of conflicting needs between design, development, testing, marketing, etc. What this means is there are still some things we are not ready to talk about it. Yes it's April now and I'm still saying that, you did not hear me wrong.

The good news is, we are doing things, we just can’t talk about them....yet. I will go back to beating my drum now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt we will ever see a time you will ever be forthcoming. *shrugs* You have set your own precedent.

Kinda sad, kinda lame, but I suppose at the very least you finally posted on this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a marketing Department? Have you tried to buy a copy of the 9th anniversary game? It is no where to be found in this city.

G

A corporation that does not, or does not want to, advertise one of their current products on their site?

"Forum boardie," says the Grand Poobah...

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has anyone stopped to consider that we CAN have everything? Does it always have to be a debate of one play style or graphics preference over another?

There are die hard loyal players of UO that play UO and no other game for a reason and part of it is 2D graphics. There are some who want more bells and whistles please and more updated 3D looking graphics to compete with other games out there (stop yer snickering....KR isn't done yet *winks*)

I keep asking this question but here goes again:

If the current 2D client is so buggy and hard to tamper with for fear of creating more bugs, and the KR client is more easily tampered with from the dev aspect and IF you can still view your game in its 2D awesomeness with legacy options up the wazoo then what pray tell is the problem?

We have been told that as long as 2D is supported it will remain and that is wonderful but if the KR client can eventually support both graphic preferences and options then it is a win win for the community is it not?

I would like to see that as a goal from the development team and get rid of the 2D vs. KR mentality. It's a real downer ya know?

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Well, its a fair criticism that I haven't been posting like a madman. So what have I been doing?

First, please try and remember that I have to watch out over three brands (UO, DAoC and WAR) and don't have the luxury to devote myself entirely to UO. That's not an excuse or anything, just a simple fact of my life.

Second, I try and let Jeremy handle the day to day care and feeding of the community. I never liked bosses who step in and trample all over my area of expertise and steal my thunder. I try not to be that person.

Finally, we do have a lot to share and " the community needs to know what we are planning" is a drum I beat frequently. That's actually where I am spending the lion's share of my UO time. I go around to people and stress the importance of live events and how having them on a regular and consistent schedule is important to our community. We talk about bug fixes, when we can announce what is going on with the next live event and debate many other things about UO. Meetings chew up a lot of my time.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of conflicting needs between design, development, testing, marketing, etc. What this means is there are still some things we are not ready to talk about it. Yes it's April now and I'm still saying that, you did not hear me wrong.

The good news is, we are doing things, we just can’t talk about them....yet. I will go back to beating my drum now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Robert,

I kinda doubt you'll get this far through all the outright trashing to read this, but I wanted to thank you for your reply.

I don't think anyone blames you for not posting like a "madman"... But yeah, you did set yourself up in your introduction as someone who would post regularly and have actual substance for us... as opposed to, I dunno, posting lolcats (no offense, CatHat, you are missed).

Do we still have a producer? Is SA going to come out? Is KR going to be improved or abandoned? If abandoned, is 2D going to be improved?

These are tough questions for you guys to answer, but the fact is that EA has avoided the tough questions for so long now that it might be too late to even matter... It's almost a joke. But not a funny one. More like an uncomfortable Ricky Gervais joke.

We need EA to be straightforward. For once. Just tell us what you are discussing in your numerous "What To Do With UO" meetings... you'd be amazed at how your paying customers could actually help you shape the priorities for game development. Make sure you give us what we want and not what you *think* we want... Please. Bring us in on the loop and a true relationship could bloom between the players and the corporation.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Has anyone stopped to consider that we CAN have everything? Does it always have to be a debate of one play style or graphics preference over another?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it does, because EA will likely discontinue one or the other, mine or yours. So no, we can't have everything.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry Robert, but with me your creditbility is nil until I see something done as far as GMs, cheating, scripters and griefers.

You talk about the community, what community? Wake up and smell the coffee the decent rule abiding players are leaving in droves because you CAN'T or WON'T enforce your own rules. Remember the ROC or TOS? We all agreed to abide by these rules. Let someone page a GM for harassment; you end up waiting two and a half hours only to get a canned response and the harrasser is still running at large acting as horrible as ever. What good are live events, Sir, when the GMs won't enforse the rules?

I won't name any names cause stratics does not allow it, but I will tell you I play legends shard. Ask ANYONE on Legends who is the most obnoxious player at every live event and in doom you'll find out who it is. In order to abide by YOUR rules I am forced to avoid the event because the player is question is there. Please sir, I beg you to hire more GMs, and start enforcing the ROC &amp; TOS. I will even volunteer 12 hrs of my day as GM, instead of pay I'll take my UO accounts as compensation. I have played UO 7 years I know the rules as well as anyone.

I feel your policies need a overhual. When someone files a complaint of harrasment in the REAL WORLD the complaintant is allowed know to when the defendant has be take into police custody. In UO world it is not the case, that needs to change! If someone is breaking the rules they deserve NO PROTECTION. The complaintant deserves to know that the person that is/was harassing them is punished and/or gone from the game.

I fear that if things do not change that UO will die, Because NO ONE wants to play a game where rules are not enforced and the innocent are punished because they are being victimized by harassing griefer.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

http://www.mythicentertainment.com/

http://www.mythicentertainment.com/games/index.html

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

The Fayled life exists only on Stratics. Google is out of reach when the truth might shatter the Dhreams.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.uoherald.com/news/
doesn't mention them ...

fairs fair ... huh ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats not the same kind of website. DAoC has a herald too. Mythic Entertainment themselves doesn't advertise UO on their site is what is being said here.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ain't gonna matter who don't or does advertise where, if they don't start enforcing the ROC/TOS. Doesn't matter what client you prefer if Griefing, cheating and scripting is left unchecked. Seriously, who wants to play a game where these things are constantly allowed? How much long longer will we continue to tolerate intorerable playing conditions?

F

fred252

<blockquote><hr>

You have a marketing Department? Have you tried to buy a copy of the 9th anniversary game? It is no where to be found in this city.

[/ QUOTE ]

Search eaby, 9th anniversary is all over it.

F

Fayled Dhreams

<blockquote><hr>

Thats not the same kind of website. DAoC has a herald too. Mythic Entertainment themselves doesn't advertise UO on their site is what is being said here.

[/ QUOTE ]
yet

http://www.warhammeronline.com/

DOES have mention of Ultima Online

.... hmmm ...

conspiracy ? or un-updated websites (
I've heard tales of such .... back in the dim past )

G

I don't think it's conspiracy. I think it's the simple lack of anyone in charge of such things giving a damn.

G

I don't think it's about not caring. I think when an organization hits critical mass, entropy just naturally starts to set in. WAR's pages are new - in mint condition even. Give them time and soon they too will look like the darkest corners of uo.com that Jeremy must delve into.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Have you tried to buy a copy of the 9th anniversary game? It is no where to be found in this city.

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny you should mention that - I was wandering through a store locally and happened across a shelf with three copies of 9th edition this afternoon, prominently displayed even! I was a little surprised because last year I had bought 3 copies there at 1/4 the price they're selling them at today. Maybe I confused their customer-tracking database.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it does, because EA will likely discontinue one or the other, mine or yours. So no, we can't have everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

nuh uh *shakes head* They didn't with 2D vs 3D versions because the same thing happened, most preferred 2D. That says a lot, my point is if you can get both 2D and KR graphics on one client what is the problem?

G

The good news is, we are doing things, we just can’t talk about them....yet.

Wake me up when the next KR specific patch comes along.

G

<blockquote><hr>

nuh uh *shakes head* They didn't with 2D vs 3D versions because the same thing happened, most preferred 2D. That says a lot, my point is if you can get both 2D and KR graphics on one client what is the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

I get your point, but it's going to be awhile before that can happen. Some people simply can't get KR to run. Some like me can't patch it. Beyond the fact that on the couple of occasions I logged in I couldn't move, I don't have days on end to patch it with no guarantee I'll be able to play. If I'm going to take days on my slow connection to patch a game it's not going to be KR.

AirmidCecht

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I get your point, but it's going to be awhile before that can happen. Some people simply can't get KR to run. Some like me can't patch it. Beyond the fact that on the couple of occasions I logged in I couldn't move, I don't have days on end to patch it with no guarantee I'll be able to play. If I'm going to take days on my slow connection to patch a game it's not going to be KR.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what Melina said in my opinion is the biggest and most valid reason what I was asking cannot be accomplished. Pay attention Devs, people with fairly good systems that meet beyond the specs cannot play the KR client. Fix it and you fix a major reason players will not convert to KR.
*hugs Melina*

M

Maximinus Thrax

This isn't the X-Files, why do we need such a tight lid on what's going to happen in UO?

Unless you have on your whiteboard a gigantic list of nerfs you plan on implementing little by little into the game, so clearly you wouldn't want to scare us all away!

G

If you're having problems getting it to patch, then try downloading the latest client (I believe the link for it is in the log of the last HoC) and re-installing.

As for why it won't run, hop over to the KR forum and post the specs of your machine. There are quite a few tech savvy people over there who may be able to help figure out what is going on.

Beyond those suggestions, what you say is another good reason why more attention needs to be given to the KR client at this time. If they expect it to be the client of UO for the foreseeable future, they need to act like it IMO.

G

<blockquote><hr>

This isn't the X-Files, why do we need such a tight lid on what's going to happen in UO?

[/ QUOTE ]
The cake is out there.

*whistles X-files theme*

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

Unless you have on your whiteboard a gigantic list of nerfs you plan on implementing little by little into the game, so clearly you wouldn't want to scare us all away!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I figured the ONLY reason why they are so hush hush...They want to keep the other companies guessing , are they going to close UO up or sink millions into.

G

I care about Kingdom Reborn... heck I am one of the KR Forum Moderators here on Stratics. I got to care about it.

G

Ultimately, some sort of compromise is going to have to happen. Ultima Online desperately needs a more functional and upgradable engine, but at the same time they can't alienate the 2D playerbase. The only way that I see this being possible, would be to have a client that takes advantage of new technology and functions like a new client, but you can opt to use the graphics and functionality of the legacy client.

Honestly, I want to be able to customize my characters on a meaningful level, and see that pirate expansion see the light of day. That is why I want to see a new client so bad.

Kingdom Reborn has its issues and remains a "beta client", but we should also allow time for these new additions to the team (along with the resources that are used in DAoC and WAR now at the UO Teams disposal) to prove whether or not they can turn it around and make it into a functional and enjoyable client before writing it off as a complete failure.

G

Other companys like say Sony, could have this entire game cloned made 100% better with better graphics more items and monsters and a GAINT player base jump I bet within 5 months... EA/Mythic been at this for what years? upon years?!!

The reason is they have a really crappy set of developers period...

I

imported_Gwyneth

<blockquote><hr>

Other companys like say Sony, could have this entire game cloned made 100% better with better graphics more items and monsters and a GAINT player base jump I bet within 5 months... EA/Mythic been at this for what years? upon years?!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe... but I don't think they have made anything as versatile as UO; and even if EA sold it to them, I doubt they could revamp everything in five months.

UO is 10 years old and still truckin'. If the developers were as bad as you say, I don't think UO would have lasted this long. *shrugs*

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not just the developers, although they make a pretty convinient scapegoat.

What everyone is constantly forgetting, is that the engine that Ultima Online is built upon is fifteen years old. It was built for a single-player version of Ultima. It was meant only to last three years, and if successful they would create UO2 (Ultima Online was an experiment, therefore they couldn't dedicate as many resources). The original developers (Lord British &amp; Co.) themselves had a hell of a time getting some systems to work, and the pirate ships and naval combat intended for release was taken out because they broke under the best of conditions. To update anything in the game, you have to work through all the broken and half-developed systems, and the game is very limited in what it is capable of.

They've attempted several things throughout the years, that were never successfully implemented. They couldn't even get the Hooded Cloak of Humility to function, so they had to cut off the hood so that they could add it to the game.

Kingdom Reborn - however flawed it currently is - is an attempt to restructure the game and rebuild the engine as a whole, in a way that allows Ultima Online to progress and continue to reach its full potential. I love 2D just as much as everyone else, but I also look forward to the day when the developers can build upon the many great things that this game already includes; unfortunately, 2D has reached its maximum threshold.

The one thing that seriously disturbs me about these threads, is not that I don't agree with the frustration, but what motivation do the developers have to do anything good when we are so viciously critical of anything and everything they do? Its rare that I read any constructive piece of criticism, that isn't used as a platform to personally attack and slam the developers integrity, personality, and intellegence.

In the eyes of most of my fellow posters, our developers can do nothing right.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

... Trust me when I tell ya it isn't hard to make map in UO I have done it on Sphere Shards. Could make an entire world that is just as good as Sosaria if not better in maybe two weeks. As far as any code scripts they could use on the server to add new stuff like quests and items to the database... Pfft gimmie a break thats as easy as just thinking it up typign stuff in and adding it. And hard code come on once you know the client and server it isnt hard to add new stuff new features new anything since half the code is already there to work with.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best thing that EA can do is to outsource some events to guys/girls like you. Who knows, maybe that is what is happening now with SA.

F

Fayled Dhreams

so ...

IF a "boardie" were to have gm/dev power/s ... things would go smoother easier?

Thats what you two are saying?

hmmmmm ?

F

fred252

I like what you are saying. UO needs a better client in order to progress.

I think KR might have been better recieved if it were full 3D with the option to play in isometric view.

I would switch to KR then.

G

If I was a GM first off there would be tons of items i'm talking literally thousands. So everyone isn't running around with the same godly suits just dyed different colors
Some crazy events would happen all over the world. Also it would go back to not starting EVERYONE in New Haven and Luna would be hit with a cruise missle
So everyone would have to pick a new city like Brit to stand around the bank at.

F

fred252

Brit was a lot better than Luna. It was more like a city. You had to walk to The Provisioner, The Blacksmith, etc.

Luna is too compact. Everything is within one screen. Maybe everything should be removed except the bank, Inn, Moongate and Shrine.

G

The one thing that seriously disturbs me about these threads, is not that I don't agree with the frustration, but what motivation do the developers have to do anything good when we are so viciously critical of anything and everything they do? Its rare that I read any constructive piece of criticism, that isn't used as a platform to personally attack and slam the developers integrity, personality, and intellegence.

In the eyes of most of my fellow posters, our developers can do nothing right.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What motivation do they need? Other than a paycheck/continued employment and personal satisfaction/pride in doing your job well?

You asking why posters are critical? Its because it is deserved. I give you the lastest example.

the current moonglow event:

when it went live last week: Draconi had to come in and make several hotfixes:

and these were ones the I noticed there might have been more:

1) doors in alternate moonglow could not be opened
2) shadowlords not dropping cloaks of corruption properly
3) spawn was not progressing correctly (ie no beserkering demons)
4) then there were some many beserk demons spawning you could not enter alternate moonglow, so the spawn had to be readjusted.

ok, but your thinking, hell man whats up with that, draconi fixed all things things. So you should be singing his praises.

Ahh. NO. Why you ask?

this is the exact event that was held on test center around 8/9 months ago. Heck it was even stress tested on production shards, though there was no spawn to fight.

ALL these errors/bugs/faults should have be found and fixed 8/9 months ago after the completion of the event on test. they were not, what exactly were they doing all this time. Heck, I will even give EAMythic 4 months downtime because of the move from california to virginia. Really should not even give them that break as I believe that it is and was mostly draconi creating/designing/coming up with this event. At least he was there when it was stress tested.
In 4 months they could not find these problems and fix them. When it only took the players a few hours (if that) to find the problems I listed earlier?

It appears that EAMythic could not careless about the paying community. Thats why many people are critical of them. The representatives can come here and state whatever they wish. It is by their actions that revel how much they care. One more shoddly implemented event, in a long line of them.

Also how about our community gardeners out there? A cocoa tree and the seeds to grow new trees? That gets pushed back? Til when? I am not a gardeners, but this seems so wrong. Its one tree/ one seed added into a completed system for growing things? Whats the problem? Graphics? no problem there; seed will be just like all other seeds just a different color. The tree then? I guess just rehue a coconut palm, and call it a cocoa tree. Its not like its a whole new item/graphic like when they added in bonsais.

This is EAMythics entire problem. They still think, they are the genre leader. We have become a niche game, EAMythic refuses to see this. We will never again get to 250, 000 subscriptions. If we are lucky and we have good management/direction maybe, maybe we could double our current numbers in 5 years (to 140, 000 subs).

But EAMythic lacks direction. There is no plan. if there is one, they are unwilling to share it with the playing public. Why? UO is not the trend setter. Usually it UO trying to shoehorn other game ideas into UO (elves, 3D, WoW interface, etc) even though we have great lore and background already in game. We are never going to have cutting edge graphics (even if they ever get KR straightened out). I do not need the plan faxed to me, or sent in pdf ( but I will take it.
) But we do need more than the usual we can not talk about it, but you will love it trust us. What is so super secret that it can not be talked about? And I am not talking about the cheating issue, they have never talked about that and never will.

But to have the UO community director (Robert) making 2 or 3 paragraphs statments with nothing in them is beyond belief. Yes, I realize that he also oversees, DAoC and WAR communities too. But how many statments has he made to those communities?

Heck, has Mark Jacobs (head of EAMythic) ever addressed the UO community? Other than right after the merger? Even then it was only to say that the dev teams for UO and DAoC would remain separate entities. But he made many statements and is even still answering direct questions from the Warhammer Online community.

this is why people are frustrated, at least me. Sorry if I ran on, but you got my juices boiling. Thanks for starting the discussion.

C

Clx-

<blockquote><hr>

The good news is, we are doing things, we just can&amp;#8217;t talk about them....yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't heard that before!

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
KR was a mistake and now they are stuck with it. They spent precious resources on a useless client that no more than 25% of subscribers are ever going to use. Boo on you Darkscribe for leaving us stuck with this white elephant.

I and many other play UO not for its graphics but the freedom that you get when playing UO. UO has so many special things going for it but the clueless leadership has time and again failed to reinforce them.

I hope UO is not going to become just few linear events here and there. I reject that scenario and so will many other people.

I demand that we get a proper expansion: Extend house customizing by giving us ability to make towns. Extend PvP by breathing new life into factions and champion spawn system. Extend PvM by coming up with well-thought out dungeons and monsters.

T

Terraxia

RTLFC

I have been playing WOW for two months now and am having a lot of fun there. I still care about UO for nostalgic reasons and continue to pay to not play. I really wish they had made a true UO2 with 3D graphics like WOW, since I find myself missing a lot of UO's personality in WOW. Instead we got KR which Im glad to see is still not anywhere near eliminating 2D as they had planned.

I suppose Id be ok with the KR client 100% duplicating the 2D look, but it better be 100%!!!!!!! However with all the problems the KR client is having I would be afraid to give up the only client that works as intended. I guess something that runs this well after 15 years isnt something to give up on after all!

G

*Chuckles*

Its not that I disagree with you partner, I am not exactly pleased with the developers right now myself. On the other hand, it seriously does disturb me to see how negative my fellow Ultima players can be. On the very best of days, players will insult the developers in a childish and degrading manner, and threaten to quit if they don't bow to their wishes.

Do the developers need to do a better job? Absolutely! ...but do I think that we need to tone it down a bit, and atleast give these new developers a chance? Sure.

<blockquote><hr>

What motivation do they need? Other than a paycheck/continued employment and personal satisfaction/pride in doing your job well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Electronic Arts has, as long as I can remember, paid the developers for little more than maintenance. There has been very little in the way of events, almost no significant additions to the gameworld, too many unfinished storylines and hanging plots, and almost never have the developers actually used the Ultima lore. They came out with the yearly expansion to give the illusion of new content, but you can look back at many of the old expansion websites and seek how much of it reeked of bull. Sunsword, may you rot in Hythloth!...

On the other hand, recently the developers have actually shown an interest in preserving our game. Draconi has made a genuine attempt to provide new events, making use of *Gasps!* the Ultima Storyline! They built a new client from scratch (rather than recycled UO2 Graphics), and however flawed it may remain, they did not charge us for it.

They certainly aren't perfect, but I cannot fault them for the above. I know from being an amateur fiction writer, the one way to really kill that persons spirit and desire to continue is to personally attack them.

There is a difference between constructive criticism, and telling the developers how they are bad people.

<blockquote><hr>

ok, but your thinking, hell man whats up with that, draconi fixed all things things. So you should be singing his praises.

Ahh. NO. Why you ask?

this is the exact event that was held on test center around 8/9 months ago. Heck it was even stress tested on production shards, though there was no spawn to fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not singing praises to Draconi, and I agree that he should have caught these during the stress testing.

On the other hand, its fixed is it not? Are you seriously going to go on about it, when it is taken care of. I know from being involved and running a few player-run events in the past (without the help of fellow GM's and UO's tools at my disposal), that it is a miracle if something doesn't go wrong.

Nonetheless, I also agree that the developers should be willing to lay out their plans, or atleast give us a hint on what their working on. On the other hand, last time I checked EAMythic wasn't exactly vocal with the WAR community either. I know, during a time period when I was interested in WAR, I don't think I ever saw Mark Jacobs make a post on some of the most active forums. Perhaps that has changed, but I will take Draconi atleast checking in on us regularly over absolutely nothing from Mythic anyday.

G

I guess my point was that EAMythic keeps telling us payers that they care. And to trust them, they know what they are doing.

Yes the event got fixed. But it should have never gone live to the shards with all the problems mentioned in my previous post. I just posted the most obvious bugs, found by players within a few hours. They had at least 4 months to iron out this event.

How is this lack of QA showing the payers that they care? Thats EAMythic problem. They release/patch one event after the next, then there are problems (I know there are always problems) which then makes people even more frustrated with EAMythic.

If EAMytic are going to continue with events and they should. They really need to tighten up on the QA. Or they should not hype events as much as they do. We are going on 2 years for this story line now. People are confused, we are all guessing on this forum and others. I do not need everything explained to me. But damn, give me a clue or throw the beeswax down and let us know we can get no farther at this time.

J

jaashua

Personally. I love the 2D client. In fact I've never played a top down game that has near the style and artistry that UO has. It's like one of those old Renaissance stained glass windows come to life. There's not a lot of unimportant little details added that just make everything look cluttered and messy. The fact is, 2D UO is classic, like a 68 Camero.

As somebody who hasn't played since 01, when I heard about a new client for UO, I immediately assumed it was a full 3D first person client with all the backend code intact. BRILLIANT! I thought. Keep the gameplay we all love but give us a new way to experience it. Bring back all the old players who just got burnt out and grab a percentage of WoW player looking for something new.

Then I saw that it was another Third Dawn client and I groaned. Well, maybe it would have the same style and artistry as 2D UO........nope. Doesn't even look as good a NWN 1 or BG.

That's where this game needs to go. No UO2 or UXO or more Third Dawn clients. Make a stunning third person perspective 3D engine......keep the backend code. Player base quadruples in a year.

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

KR was a mistake and now they are stuck with it. They spent precious resources on a useless client that no more than 25% of subscribers are ever going to use. Boo on you Darkscribe for leaving us stuck with this white elephant.

I and many other play UO not for its graphics but the freedom that you get when playing UO. UO has so many special things going for it but the clueless leadership has time and again failed to reinforce them.

I hope UO is not going to become just few linear events here and there. I reject that scenario and so will many other people.

I demand that we get a proper expansion: Extend house customizing by giving us ability to make towns. Extend PvP by breathing new life into factions and champion spawn system. Extend PvM by coming up with well-thought out dungeons and monsters.

[/ QUOTE ]

UO KR wasnt a mistake , it was half completed and wasn't released on disc , then the momentum went down hill , they are losing there chance fast..

We need UO facts and plans not excuses , I for one am holding back on any major purchases ( 2nd- 3rd account , any upgrades, tokens ,ect) in UO due to its lack of SOLID future.

Dont mean to call her out but we lack community reps ( great work is done , but not like the past)..

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

UO KR wasnt a mistake , it was half completed and wasn't released on disc , then the momentum went down hill , they are losing there chance fast..

We need UO facts and plans not excuses , I for one am holding back on any major purchases ( 2nd- 3rd account , any upgrades, tokens ,ect) in UO due to its lack of SOLID future.

Dont mean to call her out but we lack community reps ( great work is done , but not like the past)..

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I like Jeremy. But she is gagged by her bosses (Robert Mull, Mark Jacobs, whoever). She can't say anything that isn't approved beforehand to be said.

I think the real problem is that Mark Jacobs couldn't give two sh!ts about Ultima Online. DAoC is his baby and he's been neglecting it as well... ever since they got "the big license" to make the "WoW-killer". Guess what Jacobs? WAR is no WoW-killer. Delay the release all you want, you are not going to hit WoW subscription levels with an RVR game. Sorry!

EAMythic needs to make some decisions about UO. Stop having freaking meetings all day and MAKE A DECISION. Then involve your COMMUNITY. Then just DO IT... the RIGHT way.

They'll push back WAR over and over to get the "polish" or "fun" or whatever the hell it is they're trying to fix. But KR? Hell no... release that thing. Who cares if it lacks any polish whatsoever. Who cares if it's completely unoptimized and only about 60% done feature-wise. Get it out the door... and watch it go over like a turd in the punchbowl.

That's our party. That's the UO party... The one with the turd in the kool-aid. Nevermind the WAR party down the hall, where they're serving cogniac and cuban cigars.

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I like Jeremy. But she is gagged by her bosses (Robert Mull, Mark Jacobs, whoever). She can't say anything that isn't approved beforehand to be said.

I think the real problem is that Mark Jacobs couldn't give two sh!ts about Ultima Online. DAoC is his baby and he's been neglecting it as well... ever since they got "the big license" to make the "WoW-killer". Guess what Jacobs? WAR is no WoW-killer. Delay the release all you want, you are not going to hit WoW subscription levels with an RVR game. Sorry!

EAMythic needs to make some decisions about UO. Stop having freaking meetings all day and MAKE A DECISION. Then involve your COMMUNITY. Then just DO IT... the RIGHT way.

They'll push back WAR over and over to get the "polish" or "fun" or whatever the hell it is they're trying to fix. But KR? Hell no... release that thing. Who cares if it lacks any polish whatsoever. Who cares if it's completely unoptimized and only about 60% done feature-wise. Get it out the door... and watch it go over like a turd in the punchbowl.

That's our party. That's the UO party... The one with the turd in the kool-aid. Nevermind the WAR party down the hall, where they're serving cogniac and cuban cigars.