• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Are there ANY collectors left on Europa apart from my friends?

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the reason I ask is this

I have spent over 200m recently on transfer tokens to bring home the items I have claimed for events "overseas" only to get a Forest Gump, Dime Bar? response when I produce items at the weekly auction

so please have a look at the following

http://vboards.stratics.com/archive-reference/98800-em-event-items-rubbles-server-births.html

to be honest,I decided NOT to listen to those that "knew better" and tried to give Europa a chance, so please, I if am wasting my time I CAN go elsewhere, I trade well in Atlantic, and thought it nice to bring some items home for my home shard

shall i bother?

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is NOT a rant or childish tantrum but a question, so i can plan my next trip to either come home or bypass, that is all

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I collect Europa items, some other shards if the item catches my eye and I have the gold .. which isn't often.

I was trying to get a Lord Protector painting, I saw one at the rares fest but it was 100m, outa my price range just now :(

Lexfixr

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I popped over to Europa to have a look at your shop and would have bought a number of the items you had sadly I live on Drachs and transfering back and forth wouldnt be worth it you have nice stuff surely there must be lots on Europa that would appreciate the things you have

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I popped over to Europa to have a look at your shop and would have bought a number of the items you had sadly I live on Drachs and transfering back and forth wouldnt be worth it you have nice stuff surely there must be lots on Europa that would appreciate the things you have
take my icq as it is a BIG uo world out there:) i have built up a number of off shard contacts, which in a way make me sad:( as there seems to be few on Europa, however! icq 276 556 697 makes the world of rares collecting smaller ;)

also i can do with gold on Dracs i miss events there!

arkanos

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi,
I am not a big collector I guess, but I have some nice and old things and some complete collections. I also brought over 2 or 3 sets of the latest asian items but to tell you my view about collecting nowadys:

I lost a lot of interest, because there are sooooo many different items now, which makes all of them less desirable - only my point of view of course.
Maybe I remember it wrong, but in the old days, you knew some or most of the rare items and if a new one would appear, everyone talked about it. You knew what you wanted, and tried to get it.

Nowadays with the masses of new "rares" introduced every single week by some EM event on a number of shards it is simply impossible to keep up to date, and info on many things - pics as well - are not easy to find.

I love collecting, and I think I would have the funds to be a serious collector, but I could only do it successfully (I mean, do it right) if I would devote ALL of my UO - time into searching, collecting and buying/selling rares and event items. And I have more things that interest me in the game.
In the older days it could be done as a "part time job", not anymore it seems. At least for me. So I gave it up in a way, I still buy something from time to time, but it is mostly rares from the old days.

Hmm, I think my whole point here is:
they are throwing so many new shiny things our way on a weekly basis, faster and faster. And I simply don´t want to be that mule, trying to get the carrot, only to realize that there suddenly are five more carrots to chase, once I have caught the original one.

Don´t get me wrong Jack please, I am by no means trying to tell you how to play your game, I respect you as a trader.

I am simply saying that the enormous masses of new rares make them way less rare in my oppinion, even if they are one of a kind items (but it does not make them cheaper :) ). And to collect most of them would be a grind like mining 24/7.

Hephaistos of Europa

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having read Arkanos post I have to say I largely agree with him.

I have thought for some time now that the rares market has been, and is being, destroyed by event items. All shards have items unique to their shard and I suspect that nobody now has any idea of how many items there are out there now.

Like he says once the rares were pretty well known to most people who collected. At the present time I still collect Europa event items but even with those if I am missing some it causes me no loss of sleep.

I have a few items from other shards, some of which you have given me, but I have yet to buy one, and I suspect I never will. My collecting these days is confined to event items i get myself and occasional old rares (pre-Shard EMs)
and odd things which take my fancy (like Medusa statues :thumbup1:)

Europa Trader

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Jack you should know Europa is not like other shards, people do not have the gold or want to spend 200m+ or 1b on rares like they tend to on other shards.
Even traders profit from rares market since they know how much people pay and then they try and get items cheap, but if no demand on Europa you will hardly get a decent price.

some items will sell a lot better than other items so you just need to find out what items would sell, you are still young in this profession and it will take time to learn all the things. And with the many items around now it also gets harder for everyone.

You can't expect hardcore collectors to attend the weekly auction, there is rares board and contacts and rares fest and thats about it when it comes to getting a decent price on rares. You can also put it on vendor but if its on Europa you would not get the sales you might get elsewhere.

But you will also see that other shards might be more interested in event items and rares since they actually do get more from their EMs, so some of the common players actually start getting a bit of a collection and gets interested. But players like me do/did not help since the players would sell their items for a price thats below market value.

You can't own all the rare/event items, so don't worry about the ones that are given out so often, most of them are still only 10-20 and there is a lot mot collectors than that overall. Just go for the ones that only drop 10 or less those are the ones where you can keep them for a long time and they should not drop in value, but I'm sure if you talk to collectors they will tell you different reasons for values and so on. wearables are always good to get but if there are to many of the items its harder to sell them if you dont sell them in hype period.

But you can always give me a message to pick my brain about these things there is so much about trading and rares that I do not even know, but others know and thats also a reason why having a lot of contacts is a good thing.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Atlantic seems to be the shard of choice as far as selling rares. Of course
rares festival is another good place, which I believe you have a vendor at this week?
I dunno if we have as many rare's collector's on Europa as we had in the past.
I never really got involved with the em events to begin with due to time restraints in real life (working 6 to 7 days a week). So although I have a number of server up rares that I collected since Europa was born. My main
focus has been xmas statues which are a finite number, but still a challange
that I will never complete but add to each year. So my advice to rares collectors is to focus a perhaps a topic and try and make your own niche in the rares collecting arena.
If you have the rarer named xmas statues on Europa or on other shards i am always intersted in seeing what you have for sale.
Take Care, Riply

Serafi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think there are quite a few collectors still on Europa. I don`t know the drive of other collectors but I am not really into all those EM event items. I never were. If I did not attend the event the item itself holds no value for me. If it looks cool or does something specific perhaps but more often not even then. It doesn`t matter whether it came from Europa or any other shard.

I am still more into older rares, those items that were rare when I first started playing - some rubble, and anything that holds my fancy. My "collection" is rather whimsical :)

Gold is never an issue - as in, either I have what you are asking and pay or I don`t...

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think one of the main problems with collecting is that it's correspondingly impossible to display the sheer number of items in any interesting fashion; the last global event (Halloween) alone added lovely artwork for the masks but what was it, around 60 unique names? Even if you only choose to display the different art types, you still are looking at having just the dull old box shaped, 4 level 18x18 to have the physical space to place the huge range of items, in a visible and interesting manner...

Even if you've got a Castle though, you then hit the second problem that, apart from fellow rare collectors, the actual history of each item is not going to mean much to people now; there's just way too many items entering the market and who even knows all of the stories behind them all? Perhaps you could write the details down in display books near each item, so people can read what each item was and where it came from, but this feeds back into the space problem again...

Europa has it's own problems too of course, what with the community here not being too obsessed which also lowers availability/profit ratios for cross sharders... but as someone who was working on a Rares museum when I first played, the above two are the main reasons why I've largely given up myself now, beyond those items that have special significance for me.

However, if anyone finds player written books now IDOCs are returning, I am trying to maintain the personal histories within; please drop them off at my house behind Empath Abbey, Trammel.

Europa Trader

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Europa has it's own problems too of course, what with the community here not being too obsessed which also lowers availability/profit ratios for cross sharders... but as someone who was working on a Rares museum when I first played, the above two are the main reasons why I've largely given up myself now, beyond those items that have special significance for me.

Well because of the lack of obsession for event items on Europa the xsharders make a lot more profit buying it there and selling on other shards.
I remember the gold I made on Europa event items, even the ones a lot of people got. The Yellow Flower thing or the Green Plate thing, I paid 5-15m for them and sold them for 30-70m each on other shards, on those two items alone my profit was 712m.

But collecting rares used to mean something, now it doesnt really because of the lack of new graphics, the Halloween Masks you could display on walls in plots instead of boxes.

Based on the event items being dropped on other shards I also think its a lot easier to collect Europa items only since there is not being given out many of them, maybe thats why only a few people actually care now.

I just know if I ever should return it would not be on Europa, I had fun trading and collecting but anything else was boring for me, but doubt I will return there are other games coming up that might be more interesting to spend time on.