• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are released pets the same as wild beasts as in regards to their stats ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When beasts are tamed, they loose part of their stats/skills.

Skills can be trained back up but the stats are reduced permanently in the tamed pet.

Question.

If the tamed pet is then released and, therefore, becomes wild again, do its stats/skills go back to what they were "before" it was ever tamed the very first time ?

O

Old Man of UO

When beasts are tamed, they loose part of their stats/skills.

Skills can be trained back up but the stats are reduced permanently in the tamed pet.

Question.

If the tamed pet is then released and, therefore, becomes wild again, do its stats/skills go back to what they were "before" it was ever tamed the very first time ?
Lore any released pet... it stays the same as it was after being tamed.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No. They stay cut in half.

That was my feeling but I wanted to make sure that I was not being mistaken......

But if it is so, than I do not understand why.

I mean, a released pet becomes wild. Therefore, shouldn't they resume their full wild status as it was before being tamed ?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was my feeling but I wanted to make sure that I was not being mistaken......

But if it is so, than I do not understand why.

I mean, a released pet becomes wild. Therefore, shouldn't they resume their full wild status as it was before being tamed ?
If you domesticated a field mouse and decided it would be cute to dock its tail and ears and then released it, should the tail and ears grow back? Or if you tamed a wild ass and it then lost the use of an eye or a limb, but was later released into the wild, would you expect the eye to function again or the limb to grow again just because it was in the wild again?

Sorry for the really gross analogies, but to me the question is really why would you expect the animal to regain what little was lost with taming?

In return for you agreeing to care for the animal, it gave up a small amount of its superior qualities. To an extent, by both parties keeping up their end of the taming agreement, most of those superior qualities are regained and other skills that were not as developed are also perfected in a more focused manner.

If either party reneges on the agreement, why should things return to the way they were? Both parties must pay a penalty for the taming agreement being broken.

P

PlayBoy. Inc.

In return for you agreeing to care for the animal, it gave up a small amount of its superior qualities. To an extent, by both parties keeping up their end of the taming agreement, most of those superior qualities are regained and other skills that were not as developed are also perfected in a more focused manner.

If either party reneges on the agreement, why should things return to the way they were? Both parties must pay a penalty for the taming agreement being broken.
I feel REALLY bad now for taming/releasing bulls after reading this... lol

(poor bulls...)

-Bunny

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you domesticated a field mouse and decided it would be cute to dock its tail and ears and then released it, should the tail and ears grow back? Or if you tamed a wild ass and it then lost the use of an eye or a limb, but was later released into the wild, would you expect the eye to function again or the limb to grow again just because it was in the wild again?

Sorry for the really gross analogies, but to me the question is really why would you expect the animal to regain what little was lost with taming?

Well, perhaps it is because I see at the issue as "black" or "white".

That is, I see an animal/monster as either tamed OR wild.

The tamed ones have their numbers reduced, the wild ones are the 100% full powered ones.

What I have a hard time understanding is the 3rd class, the "released, wild ones".

I mean, if they keep their stats/skills reduced, they are neither tamed (because they have been released) but they are neither fully wild as compared to an untamed wild version.

I just thought that if the animal/monsters was to be released making it wild again, then it should regain its full "wilderness", not just be as weak as a tamed but wild at the same time.

Unless, there are reasons for maintaining released "wild" pets at reduced skill/stats as compared to their untamed wild versions.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, pets have always been slightly different once they were released. They increase in taming difficult for example. That's something tamers have taken advantage of for many years. So it's not new...

Released pets are also less aggressive, though some will turn and attack quickly. Dire wolves for example can be released and will often leave players alone entirely. Handy around ridgeback spawn or the cu sidhe spawn areas.

Why don't pets revert to their untamed stats when released? Well, I doubt any tamer would want to revert their pets on release... If you'd tamed and trained up a pet and it went wild for whatever reason (a server revert for example) you'd be seriously miffed if all that training time was lost.

Wenchy