• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Are BODS even worth doing now?

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree completely. Some ingredients (large gems come to mind) are just too scarce to be viable the way the system is setup right now.
I, like many, will not be using my large gems for bods but I have found a better way to collect them that seems faster. In Eodon, those fire elements around that fire pit drop a large gem each for the most part and they aren't hard to kill with the right slayer. Spend some time there and you will be surprised how fast they add up.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I, like many, will not be using my large gems for bods but I have found a better way to collect them that seems faster. In Eodon, those fire elements around that fire pit drop a large gem each for the most part and they aren't hard to kill with the right slayer. Spend some time there and you will be surprised how fast they add up.
Well I know what I'm doing after taking a break from bods. Thanks for the tip.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Looking at the system now, everything looks pretty fine, considering on what weve had before, maybe the rate on the small deeds "points wise" has to be adjusted slightly to motivate crafters around
The die hard Crafters/BOD collectors are still here but this new system has brought out some new blood and that is always good.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are BODs even worth doing now?
Unfortunately, due to the fact that the BOD changes don't take ingot costs into account, the answer is ultimately "it depends". It seems like the concept of ingot cost flies over the head of many. I will attempt to illustrate.

Basara was so kind as to post the point system in a previous thread, I am pasting it here:

Size (both smith & tailor) : 10 ct = 10 points, 15 ct = 25 points, 20 ct = 50 points

Exceptional =+200 points for smith BODs.

Large BODs-Smith:
Polearm, Ringmail: 200
Chainmail, 6-part weapon (Sword, Axe, Mace): 300
Fencing: 350
Platemail: 400

Metals
Iron: 0
Dull Copper: 200
Shadow Iron: 250
Copper: 300
Bronze: 350
Golden: 400
Agapite: 450
Verite: 500
Valorite: 550
For reference, I am going to post a statistical mining yield of 1000 ingots based on the ore rarities documented in Stratics' Essay:

500 - iron 0x
112 - dull copper 1x
98 - shadow iron 1.14x
84 - copper 1.33x
70 - bronze 1.6x
56 - gold 2x
42 - agapite 2.66x
28- verite 4x
10 - valorite 11.2x
Please take note of the red text. This denotes relative value. I use dull copper as a baseline because Iron doesn't add any points to a BOD. So for example, shadow iron is approximately 1.14x as valuable as dull copper. Gold is approximately 2x as valuable as dull copper. Again this is based on the mining rarity. Now let's take a look at the relative point values given based on ore:

Dull Copper: 200 1x
Shadow Iron: 250 1.25x
Copper: 300 1.5x
Bronze: 350 1.75x
Golden: 400 2x
Agapite: 450 2.25x
Verite: 500 2.5x
Valorite: 550 2.75x

Uh oh. Now we're starting to see a problem. Even though valorite is 11.2x more rare than dull copper, the point value you gain is only 2.75x for valorite over dull copper. In other words, you're not getting the value for the time you've invested mining valorite ingots. On the flip side, it appears that certain ingots GAIN value up until you reach gold. So these metals, dull copper, shadow iron, copper, bronze, and gold are much easier to obtain, and their values are overrated in the BOD point system, whereas agapite, verite, valorite are much harder to come by, yet their values are underrated. If you want to get value for your ingot, stick to dull copper, copper, bronze, and gold.

Quantities present another issue. Take a look: 10 adds 10 points, 15 adds 25 points, 20 adds 50 points. So by effectively doubling the ingot cost of a BOD, you gain a mere 40 points. What is better, in your opinion:

10/exc/valorite/plate gorget = 100 valorite ingots to fill, worth 760 points.
20/exc/valorite/plate gorget = 200 valorite ingots to fill, worth 800 points.

Seems like you're getting WAY more value for lower quantity BODs. Now we move on to the issue of ingot cost per item. Which seems better:

20/exc/bronze/plate gorget = 200 bronze ingots to fill, worth 600 points
20/exc/bronze/plate tunic = 500 bronze ingots to fill, worth 600 points

Kind of seems like a no-brainer to me. Don't waste your ingots.

Large BODs are not exempt. Notice how Ringmail adds 200, and chainmail adds 300? HUH??
Total ingots required to build a chainmail suit: 48
Total ingots required to build a ringmail suit: 58

So even though a ringmail suit costs more ingots, we're getting less points. Here's a fun example to demonstrate the absurdity. Which in your opinion is a better value:

Large/10/norm/gold/chain = 710 points, ingot cost 480 gold ingots
Large/10/norm/agapite/ring = 660 points, ingot cost 580 agapite ingots

Let me get this straight - even though the chainmail LBOD has a lower ingot cost of a lower level ingot, it has more points than the ringmail LBOD that requires more, higher level ingots? What the fudge?

This is the precise reason why banking points is bunk. You allocate a certain amount of ingots to fill a BOD, but only receive a fraction of its supposed value? All you're doing is making the rewards you collect through banked points cost significantly more. Think about it. Consider the total number of ingots you have to spend to acquire enough banked points, whether via small or large BODs. If you still think that is perfectly acceptable, I'd like to make a deal with you: I'll give you one million gold, in return you give me two million gold. Sound good?

None of this actually matters if you're a script miner of course, because you're not going through the agony that is mining by hand. But if you do mine by hand and want value for your time, here is my recommendation: just don't.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unfortunately, due to the fact that the BOD changes don't take ingot costs into account, the answer is ultimately "it depends". It seems like the concept of ingot cost flies over the head of many. I will attempt to illustrate.

Basara was so kind as to post the point system in a previous thread, I am pasting it here:

For reference, I am going to post a statistical mining yield of 1000 ingots based on the ore rarities documented in Stratics' Essay:

Please take note of the red text. This denotes relative value. I use dull copper as a baseline because Iron doesn't add any points to a BOD. So for example, shadow iron is approximately 1.14x as valuable as dull copper. Gold is approximately 2x as valuable as dull copper. Again this is based on the mining rarity. Now let's take a look at the relative point values given based on ore:

Uh oh. Now we're starting to see a problem. Even though valorite is 11.2x more rare than dull copper, the point value you gain is only 2.75x for valorite over dull copper. In other words, you're not getting the value for the time you've invested mining valorite ingots. On the flip side, it appears that certain ingots GAIN value up until you reach gold. So these metals, dull copper, shadow iron, copper, bronze, and gold are much easier to obtain, and their values are overrated in the BOD point system, whereas agapite, verite, valorite are much harder to come by, yet their values are underrated. If you want to get value for your ingot, stick to dull copper, copper, bronze, and gold.

Quantities present another issue. Take a look: 10 adds 10 points, 15 adds 25 points, 20 adds 50 points. So by effectively doubling the ingot cost of a BOD, you gain a mere 40 points. What is better, in your opinion:

Seems like you're getting WAY more value for lower quantity BODs. Now we move on to the issue of ingot cost per item. Which seems better:

Large BODs are not exempt. Notice how Ringmail adds 200, and chainmail adds 300? HUH??

So even though a ringmail suit costs more ingots, we're getting less points. Here's a fun example to demonstrate the absurdity. Which in your opinion is a better value:

Let me get this straight - even though the chainmail LBOD has a lower ingot cost of a lower level ingot, it has more points than the ringmail LBOD that requires more, higher level ingots? What the fudge?

This is the precise reason why banking points is bunk. You allocate a certain amount of ingots to fill a BOD, but only receive a fraction of its supposed value? All you're doing is making the rewards you collect through banked points cost significantly more. Think about it. Consider the total number of ingots you have to spend to acquire enough banked points, whether via small or large BODs. If you still think that is perfectly acceptable, I'd like to make a deal with you: I'll give you one million gold, in return you give me two million gold. Sound good?

None of this actually matters if you're a script miner of course, because you're not going through the agony that is mining by hand. But if you do mine by hand and want value for your time, here is my recommendation: just don't.
First you do understand that Smith and Tailor BODs were introduced to UO Nov 2001, in case you do not understand that is 15 YEARS and you think you are telling Crafters/BOD Collectors something we didn't already known, seriously. The BOD Points have never changed and the only thing this new system has done is introduced new BODs, some new items, the ability to pick our reward and the Bank Point System. People that sell the BOD rewards account for the type of ingots used. As far as the Banking system goes the old timers are probably gonna use the bank system for the junk BODs that would norm. fall to the trash can because we already have enough shovels and such. and we get to get a new BOD to boot. Sounds like a win/win for the BOD collectors to me. Did you even do BODs before this new System came out. OH and guess what nobody says you have to use the bank system it is totally voluntary. 15 years give me a break. And here is another fact for you, some people find mining and fishing relaxing and do not need scripts to enjoy the game.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Low-end Larges are what you should be doing for point banking - they give 20% value, compared to 2% for smalls.

Frodo - BOD values actually HAVE changed at least twice Correction - THREE times.

1. There was a change somewhere between the releases of AoS & SE to the entire system. The changes were made to make the system less random (there were several large BODs with a chance a valorite hammer, that would give either valorite or verite hammers). After the change, hammer rewards were almost all 100% 1 type. (the few remnants of that system were the BODs that gave either DC or Shadow runics randomly, and the 10/30/60% Anvil/low-PS/runic BODs that were uniformly 15-count BODs after the changes). Hell, there was a time period where people got hostile INSISTING the old tables still applied, even after ToR and others confirmed the new tables with the devs.
  2. At one point, in order to placate smiths bemoaning the scarcity of colored BODs, it was made to where at 110 Blacksmith had the chance for colored BODs increased by 40%, and increased 80% for 120 skill. However, because of the presence of the always iron Weapon BODs as 50% of all pulls, this only resulted in HALF the increase the devs thought it meant (instead of 50/50, it was actually 75/25 iron/other below 110, and the change only changed it to 65/35 at 110, and 55/45 at 120, with the amounts above 50% for iron being Iron armor BODs).
  3. There was the change (somewhere between ML & SA) where the higher LBODs received a random point bonus in addition to the stated amount, that could result in an award bump of 1-3 levels.

The first one doesn't apply much anymore, other than the split rewards have had their value skewed badly by the point system. They REALLY need to be split up and re-evaluated in the new system.
Thethird no longer applies, unless that's what's causing the odd fractional point values in the new system. The middle one still comes into play (thank god).

And, as for the rare gems, the Volcano Elementals from the Abyss also appear in the Volcano in Eodon, sometimes randomly as you mine, and under some circumstances (all too often) when the mine goes unstable (and one per PC present), and you have to retreat to the safe spaces while fighting them. Sometimes the "eles spawn on unstable volcano" period lasts an hour or more at a time. And, they include the pearls and amber that are normally non-mining gems. I've actually filled several bowcraft BODs so far just using the gems I collected while doing that tribe quest (getting parts trying for the rare tiger rugs from the one Brit camp quest).

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Another ingot note:

Colored BODs (smith):
25% at 109.9 skill or less (50% weapons, 25% iron armor, 25% colored armor)
35% at 110.0-119.9 skill (50% weapons, 15% iron armor, 35% colored armor)
45% at 120 skill (50% weapons, 5% iron armor, 45% colored armor)

The "official" numbers say twice as much, but that ignores the forced 50% being weapons (that are always iron).

I'm not sure how Tinkering's split works (it's probably 50/50 before factoring in if the BOD can be crafted color), but it's hilarious that the only potential weapons with colored BODs are the Tinker-crafted ones.

The way metals split for mining is 50% chance for iron only, the other 50% split into a mix of iron with one color. Each spot has its own percentage chance of colored ore (with elves getting 1.2x the digs and 1.2x the colored ore chance, compared to humans - so where a human might get 10 digs +/- a few and 40% chance of color per dig, the elf gets 12 +/- digs and 48% chance).

The split for the colors appears to be (if color present), with "x" being roughly 1/36
DC 8x
SI 7x
C 6x
B 5x
G 4x
A 3x
Ver 2x
Val Was 1x originally, but got boosted to something close to 1.5x when people complained about Val ore and Val BODs being too rare. (Mining went from 1/36 of 50%, or roughly 1.389%,to 2%, if I remember correctly. It was never clarified if the extra 0.611% came from the 50% that is iron only, or redistribution from the other 7 colors)

These ratios probably still hold true for Tinker, but that's not guaranteed.

And, the values of Fencing and Chain LBODs compared to their larger counterparts (6-part weapons and ringmail respectively) actually stems from a combination of resources/small-BOD-count PLUS base skill needed to fill - something that is lost on those of us that have been Legendary Smiths since AOS.
***Ringmail may take more resources than Chain, but one can fill a Ringmail LBOD almost as soon as you can get one to drop, while reliably filling the chainmail takes substantially higher skill without ending up wasting as many ingots as the cost difference between the two.
***Fencing may be smaller than Swords, Macing, or Axe larges, and take less ingots, but the skill needed to fill the BOD is that much higher (Spears start 5 skill points later than Katanas, and Short spears is somewhere in between the two). Spears only reach 100% to make between 98 & 99 skill.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and remember you can bribe up a lower end bod to get it to a 500 point (or whatever points you are looking for) bod.
For example, I am needing a ton of the PoF barrels. They cost 700 points. a small 20 exc agapite tinker bod will give me exactly 700 points. So, when I get a 20 item small tinker bod, I will bribe that up till it is 20 exc agapite, go make it and bam i get a barrel!
That is exactly what I did, I got a bod for candelabra, bribed it up till it met the requirement for the barrel, filled it and turned it in. Now I plan to work PoF bods and fill it.

@Fridgster which large gem items are you thinking of? I only plan to make items that require large gems when they're to fill a large bod. I wouldn't use them for banking points.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Your numbers are skewed due to the fact that gold ingots are as easy to get as iron if not easier. Plus all the other reasons Frodo and others have pointed out.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is probably as good as it's gonna get. Which for me means I will do a few of them, and then quit the system altogether.
The script miner is now guaranteed an income tho.

I can't wait to see if the same cheerleaders for this 2% stuff are still cheering when they get thru screw, I mean revamping their pets LOL!

:yell:

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spellbook only dyes, why? The alchemy new ones won't dye a spellbook? Why no bodbook dyes? :(((((( I know we have old ones for bodbooks. Is no yellow in that.
Some of this stuff is great, filling so fast now. The plum tree...

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your numbers are skewed due to the fact that gold ingots are as easy to get as iron if not easier. Plus all the other reasons Frodo and others have pointed out.
The numbers are based on mining rarity, this was stated very clearly in my post. There are of course other ways of acquiring ingots like trade ships, pirate ships, trade quests, ingot conversion, and of course gold elementals. Gold elementals, another profoundly easy script-able bit of gameplay. Another example of the total lack of balance in this area of the game. All of which completely miss the point of my post which is that the values and ingot costs are not being taken into account. Enjoy wasting your time and ingots.

Edit: Oh, and if you consider how easy it is to get gold ingots and take into consideration my gold/chainmail vs agapite/ringmail LBOD comparison, it proves my point even more just how much a waste of time the agapite/ringmail LBOD is.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is probably as good as it's gonna get. Which for me means I will do a few of them, and then quit the system altogether.
The script miner is now guaranteed an income tho.

I can't wait to see if the same cheerleaders for this 2% stuff are still cheering when they get thru screw, I mean revamping their pets LOL!

:yell:
We are talking BODs and guess what Banking BOD Points is not mandatory and neither is doing BODs. Sorry you didn't get your requested EASY BUTTON on the BOD System but those that actually did BODs on a regular basis thinks this new system is great and only the whiners that wanted an easy button continue to whine about it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just put .02 alchy on my 2nd acct on Siege because my other is stuck holding a lbod now. So I get 15 lesser heals...so I open the npc vendor, he has 20 , so I buy them. They pop into my pack and they're now Yellow potions. Well the deed doesn't recognize them as the lessers heals they were advertised as ( and the lowest craftable heal there is, so don't tell me I have to get taste id now to identify, with only .02 i should still be able to know what the hell it is that the npc just sold me)..more examples of lazy stupid coding...pathetic.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We are talking BODs and guess what Banking BOD Points is not mandatory and neither is doing BODs. Sorry you didn't get your requested EASY BUTTON on the BOD System but those that actually did BODs on a regular basis thinks this new system is great and only the whiners that wanted an easy button continue to whine about it.
I just told you I don't want an Easy button and you proceed to reply with sorry I didnt get me easy button ? Tell ya what ,i'll stay out of your replies, you stay out of mine..deal ?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't want an easy button. But I would like it to be fair please :)
Do BODs the way you normally did the last 15 years. For all the small 10, 25 and 50 pointers when you get enough of the small rewards to last you awhile IE Shovels, 250 use tools and cloth then just bank what little point is there for later instead of throwing the rewards on the floor and get your new BOD. The new BOD System is not about the points it is about us getting PoF %100 compared to Mining +5 gloves way more times than the % stated, this is just 1 example. %100 guarantee of the reward you wanted with a bonus that if you do not want all the lower rewards then just bank points for later. This is way more than fair, hell I think most Crafter would have been happy with a few more rewards added and doing away with that %10 chance of an upgrade BS. I lost count how many PoF and Horned Runic Kit BODs got Mining gloves and 120 power scrolls.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do BODs the way you normally did the last 15 years. For all the small 10, 25 and 50 pointers when you get enough of the small rewards to last you awhile IE Shovels, 250 use tools and cloth then just bank what little point is there for later instead of throwing the rewards on the floor and get your new BOD. The new BOD System is not about the points it is about us getting PoF %100 compared to Mining +5 gloves way more times than the % stated, this is just 1 example. %100 guarantee of the reward you wanted with a bonus that if you do not want all the lower rewards then just bank points for later. This is way more than fair, hell I think most Crafter would have been happy with a few more rewards added and doing away with that %10 chance of an upgrade BS. I lost count how many PoF and Horned Runic Kit BODs got Mining gloves and 120 power scrolls.

As I said, fair please ...

250 Point Tinker BODs

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Enjoy wasting your time and ingots.
And that's the saddest part. The team takes weeks to work on an BOD update and then fails to re-balance all the pointless ones. Not to mention the new ones they added. It feels like all they do is busywork these days, and then wonder why we keep cancelling subs right and left *shrugs*

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That 15 year old system has a lot of issues, and of course is spaghetti code with few comments/documentation.

1. For the entire existence of Tailor BODs, everyone thought they were like Smith BODs and were supposed to be 1/1 ratio normal to exceptional - There were threads all over Stratics and other forums about this. All the old on-line stuff on UO's official pages seemed to indicate it worked EXACTLY like Smith BODs. It wasn't until around 2008-2010 that a then-current dev looked at the code, and found it had ALWAYS been coded 2/1 - it just had never been DOCUMENTED as such.
  2. An issue with Smith LBODs existed for about 5 years or more, until someone ACCIDENTALLY (looking for something else) came across the fact that a closing Parenthesis ")" was missing from one critical line of code. Another coding issue factored into footwear LBODs being made unavailable for a while for tailors.
  3. Related to #1, some of the other issues that no one realized that was a "feature" was that instead of being based on a sequence like colored smith BODs, tailor BODs had a 6/3/1 color division, and that all Tailor BODs are from a single pool (both cloth and leather), instead of there being a coded division like what is assumed to exist (based on 15 years of Dev comments) like between weapons and armor. (and, frankly, there needs to be a change to hard-code non-standard item checks for all BOD skills, if there isn't - and place it to where items that can only be one material fall AFTER the check for base material or colored material - that's why colored smith BODs are only 25% of bods, not 50%, before the bonuses for level).
  4. As I noted before, the problem with small BOD values is that they have been set up since 2001 to where value increases from difficulty are coded into the LBOD side of the equation. A 10-part small normal using the base material for the skill is TEN POINTS, regardless if it takes 2 cloth or the proceeds of at least 4 peerless hunts and zero base materials, to craft. You would literally have to recode the BOD system from scratch to fix this across the board. I don't even want to think how much time that would have taken back when the dev team was huge in comparison to the current one, before 2007.

The state of the system is analogous to restoring a classic car found abandoned in a field.

You have to get the relic to your shop, and the framework fixed and in place, before working on replacing the glass & seats, and restoring the side panels & trim. And some times you have to rebuild parts from scratch. And all of this takes weeks or months, especially if you're working on multiple things at the same time. (Hell, even years. I had a friend who restored a classic car with his 30/40-something sons in their spare time, between their jobs as mechanics and parts-store managers. I took weekends and off days over at least 5 days, and was barely finished in time before the old man got too sick to even ride in it, and he died 6 months later).

The release of the new BODs is the equivalent of getting the car hauled in. What we're going through right now is the stripping down, to see what parts work, and which ones need to be replaced or repaired. It will probably take until at least 2Q 2017 to shake all the bugs out.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OMG I am so mad UO has destroyed the BOD System. How dare they let me fill 4 PoF Kegs with 100 PoF BODs without giving me a single +5 Mining Glove. Yes you heard me right UO has screwed this up so bad that I did not get one single pair of +5 Mining Gloves. OMG what am I going to do, goes to corner and cries "damn no mining gloves."

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG I am so mad UO has destroyed the BOD System. How dare they let me fill 4 PoF Kegs with 100 PoF BODs without giving me a single +5 Mining Glove. Yes you heard me right UO has screwed this up so bad that I did not get one single pair of +5 Mining Gloves. OMG what am I going to do, goes to corner and cries "damn no mining gloves."
With that said! Let's Make Mining Gloves Great Again!!(pls no bans) I say randomize them +5/+20 make them non hueable and have a glacial blue rare pick!! 1:5000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With that said! Let's Make Mining Gloves Great Again!!(pls no bans) I say randomize them +5/+20 make them non hueable and have a glacial blue rare pick!! 1:5000

I want a Mining Apron that stacks with the mining gloves and a Mining 120 PS so we can get %100 smelting. Any skill besides Smith, +60 ASH with a %29 ex tally makes just about anything so the other skills need an ASH or an apron like cooking got. Did you like my sarcasm whine?:)

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Wow, I did not mean to open a can of worms with this thread. I haven't done bods in a few months and never tried the new system on test. In some ways I like it more. I am glad that my bag does not get filled up with crap that is not even worth clean-up points. However, I hope they go and refine some of the points for the new bods like fletching and carpentry. I had a bod for 15 exceptional repeating crossbows. I used a fletching tali 23% exceptional bonus and 22% fletching bonus. I used 551 boards to complete it and it was only worth 225 points. I have not tried bribing for the new skill bods as I only have 3 of each and am still experimenting. Aside from fletching runics, there doesn't really seem to be any worthwhile rewards and I don't use the runics very often and rarely sell any.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow, I did not mean to open a can of worms with this thread. I haven't done bods in a few months and never tried the new system on test. In some ways I like it more. I am glad that my bag does not get filled up with crap that is not even worth clean-up points. However, I hope they go and refine some of the points for the new bods like fletching and carpentry. I had a bod for 15 exceptional repeating crossbows. I used a fletching tali 23% exceptional bonus and 22% fletching bonus. I used 551 boards to complete it and it was only worth 225 points. I have not tried bribing for the new skill bods as I only have 3 of each and am still experimenting. Aside from fletching runics, there doesn't really seem to be any worthwhile rewards and I don't use the runics very often and rarely sell any.
Its OK you just need to remember that no matter what the DEVs do whiners just gotta whine. Yes there is some tweaking needed on the NEW BODs with resources and such but some of us understand that 5 people can only do so much and they listened to us when it was under testing and I see no reason they will not listen to us now.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Folks, please don't make it personal with any name calling, public accusations or trolling, and stay on topic. I had to do some thread clean up and delete a few posts.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
question: is every reward within the means of a lbod? or are there some rewards that you MUST go through the banking system to get (as the cost in pts is greater then the highest turn in lbod)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
question: is every reward within the means of a lbod? or are there some rewards that you MUST go through the banking system to get (as the cost in pts is greater then the highest turn in lbod)
ALL rewards are within the BOD Point system.
Bulk Orders – Ultima Online
Go to middle of page and you will see some BODs with the type they are, just click on the name and it will take you to the page fot type. It shows what BOD gives what point and lower it shows the cost of the reward. The Bank Point System gives you a fraction of the BOD Points.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ALL rewards are within the BOD Point system.
Bulk Orders – Ultima Online
Go to middle of page and you will see some BODs with the type they are, just click on the name and it will take you to the page fot type. It shows what BOD gives what point and lower it shows the cost of the reward. The Bank Point System gives you a fraction of the BOD Points.
6pcx20 Alchy LBOD gets dull ruby..not really worth it imo. If it takes 2 days constant macroing to get anything it's not worth it.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
6pcx20 Alchy LBOD gets dull ruby..not really worth it imo. If it takes 2 days constant macroing to get anything it's not worth it.

I never stated IMHO if some of the rewards were worth the points, I just provided a link to the points and to the rewards so the person asking for info could make up their own mind. There are a lot of rewards that I will never pick but I do have 10 PoF kegs filled and not one damn +5 mining glove was received, to me that is one huge WIN for the crafters. Getting ready to get a boat load of Horned Runics with ZERO 120 PS upgrades. WOOT WOOT

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never stated IMHO if some of the rewards were worth the points, I just provided a link to the points and to the rewards so the person asking for info could make up their own mind. There are a lot of rewards that I will never pick but I do have 10 PoF kegs filled and not one damn +5 mining glove was received, to me that is one huge WIN for the crafters. Getting ready to get a boat load of Horned Runics with ZERO 120 PS upgrades. WOOT WOOT
Sooo I wonder if that means since no one will pick the 120 tailor anymore really. Will that raise the price since most are dropped in the trash...hrmmm

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Time to create a crafters union that teaches the masses how to slowly and gradually drop items into the economy and not flood it to ruin your bottom dollar

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Time to create a crafters union that teaches the masses how to slowly and gradually drop items into the economy and not flood

Selling pof 1000 charges 3 mil

Reason for edit: on phone big fingers

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Think of the points system a bit like 'loyalty points' on a supermarket card (if you have those in the US?) You do your shopping/fill your bod. Pay the bill/hand it in and in addition to getting your shopping/ another bod you get points that you can save up towards an additional shopping trip/bod reward at a later time. This part of the system is mostly for bods that you only fill so that you can get another - or at least that's MY take on it.
(although at current time I'm filling those and saving them to hand in to the Elf in December)

They are totally separate to a straight hand in/claim and don't stack with it. If you fill a bod that's worth 600 points, don't bank any of it and go straight to rewards, you'll have 600 points to spend. Any saved points aren't included.

Finley Grant

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lol actually I like the new System even if will not make that much bods myself

Iam still thinking to sell them.

Ah btw. If someone is selling 1000-5000 charges pof (100-500 bottles) ICQ me

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I may start selling kegs of 250 charges on Siege, just not sure yet, if there will be a demand for it and what price should be, maybe 750k for a keg as the keg it self will have a value too.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The big changes currently needed are the following:

1. Divorcing the reward point pool from the instant reward process. Claiming an instant award from a single reward should not have an effect on banking points.
  2. Cleaning up a lot of other BODs that shouldn't be 10-pointers. Some of these might need removed, the others should have a SUBSTANTIAL value as part of an LBOD. Alternatively, make some SBODs fall under the LBOD point value system instead of the smalls that they are. A BOD requiring 10 mining gems should be worth hundreds of points, not 10 points. However, the latter is probably lot more diificult to code.
  3. Cleaning up the Smith BOD system, so that items that only had 10% or 20% chance with some BODs aren't being offered as easily at 100% for the same BOD now.

Matrix Cubed

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
The way I plan to use it is this: Small stand alone bods that would normally only get done if you wanted to hand them in to get another, either stock-piling or just dumping the numerous sturdy shovels etc, can now be handed in not only to get another, but also to bank some points towards an 'extra' reward you wouldn't ordinarily get, without flooding the house with unwanted minor tools.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since this thread reappeared:

I may start selling kegs of 250 charges on Siege, just not sure yet, if there will be a demand for it and what price should be, maybe 750k for a keg as the keg it self will have a value too.
Ive been selling the empty kegs for 800k. This did not cause a price decrease for POF. Those still sell for 80k. Since there is no POF for sale on LS right now, you could probably get more for it right now.

Matrix Cubed

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Just starting out on the new system...I think it's a resource issue...the time and effort it takes to mine colored ore is tremendous. I had a 15xL copper chain bod...I could get a 10 hammer at a 125 point loss or a 115 PS no loss... or 165 banked points...the hammer and scroll are useless...all that copper wasted...that keeps another whole set of bods as 'useless' as they ever were with assigned rewards. The rewards themselves are kinda weak...especially Smithing...even a Val hammer isn't going to produce anything better than can be imbued...heck...good drops are better!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The system did not help a player who is low on resources. But, you can get a 250 count hammer with dagger deeds. Also you get to choose garg picks and prospector tools as you need them. To really take advantage of the system you need to bribe the deeds up. Mine a lot of shadow iron. Get the deeds to 450 and get POF. Also go to Blackthorns and get gold ingots. The ones that don't get 450 by the time you hit shadow, bribe them to gold and get POF from that. I like to mine in Fel delucia. yell guards to take out the elementals and prospector tool with garg pick will get you shadow and above.

This chart is your friend. Blacksmith Bulk Orders – Ultima Online

Good luck