• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Apparently Ultima Online is a dead game yet...

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Over 4000 people have viewed my 2017 Tour video of the game.
It's absolutely amazing to see that people after 20 years still want to experience this game or at least check in from time to time so see how it's all still going.
Hopefully this is still bringing new players or even helping players who are thinking of returning to the game want to come back to it.
Here's to another 20 years hopefully!!!

This video is from April last year which feels like forever ago for me personally.
Thanks for watching loving or hating it, I am proud our little old game is still going strong!

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It'd be going a lot more strong, if they followed Blizzard and brought back a "legacy" server that has a ruleset somewhere between PREUOR through even Mondains Legacy. The addition of ridiculous gear for the rich, makes it not only unfair, but impossible for new players to PVP. Not to mention, players returning will quickly hang up the gloves again,after being unable to compete due to lacking gear. The game has gone from Skill, to Skill with some gear, to Gear with some skill, to gear.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It'd be going a lot more strong, if they followed Blizzard and brought back a "legacy" server that has a ruleset somewhere between PREUOR through even Mondains Legacy. The addition of ridiculous gear for the rich, makes it not only unfair, but impossible for new players to PVP. Not to mention, players returning will quickly hang up the gloves again,after being unable to compete due to lacking gear. The game has gone from Skill, to Skill with some gear, to Gear with some skill, to gear.
This seems pretty much spot on to me

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My original UO exposure was T2A (Second Age?) and I absolutely detest what AOS did, so this is spot on for me. I want my silver stuff and no skill locks! Gimme! Seriously

@Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix

Last edited:

Okami

Visitor
I think the main issue with a "Legacy" shard is that it would require a different client install, from my limited understanding of how UO works.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This horse has been beaten to smithereens. Recently.

It's. Not. Going. To. Happen.
I know the odds of it happening before the Second Coming are truly slim BUT if the Devs get a sense of how many would appreciate it, their reasons, etc ... perhaps it starts to weigh on things and **could** at least be considered. <shrug> If one doesn't try, one never knows.

DSC Napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I am not sure if it is kosher to mention it here, but there is very little preventing people from playing on a "classic" shard.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This horse has been beaten to smithereens. Recently.

It's. Not. Going. To. Happen.
They said this a lot for WoW. I'd play a legacy server. I hate the new magic item properties with a passion.

Everquest did it too.

EDIT: And wasn't Siege originally not wanted by the "Majority" of players?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am not sure if it is kosher to mention it here, but there is very little preventing people from playing on a "classic" shard.
I'd rather it be official and not have to deal with the drama that comes with a lot of these shards.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly.

People hate what has become of the game, yet here we are, nearly 18 years after UOR.
So you're saying that you feel the amount of players is comparable? The fraction of people 18 years later, is so minimal compared to what it COULD be its not even funny.
Im not even begging for a complete classic server.. Just something tthat is previous to this monstrosity that they created right now.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We all knew some version of F2P was coming if UO was to persist.

A "classic shard," however, is well beyond the capabilities of this tiny team.
Oh you've worked side by side with them to know their capabilities? Amazing that groups of smaller, and more likely less qualified teams have done just this on a different platform offering rulesets from Pre-UOR through custom rulesets. I guess it's insane to think that actual teams of game programmers cant do that. And I'm pretty sure I recall many people just like you telling me a year to 3 years ago that a F2P server will never happen. I guess its hard to eat your own words when you know EVERYTHING.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We all knew some version of F2P was coming if UO was to persist.

A "classic shard," however, is well beyond the capabilities of this tiny team.
Warcraft is just copying Nost pretty much from everything I read. No reason this "tiny" team (I love the new artist, shoutout) couldn't do the same. Everquest is still going strong and found it profitable.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I would hate to see them put a ton of work into another failed effort for a shard that would have zero activity in yet another effort to appease the minuscule PvP population. Any game needs new content or it gets boring quickly. That's flaw number one. Number 2 would be PvP *never* worked in UO. It was always a gank fest. Or possibly a well equipped aggressor preying on an easy kill that clearly was set up to do something other than PvP (ie miner etc). Pre UOR was a failed attempt and it was fixed. The only reason it had any success was it was a revolutionary mammoth game and nothing else like it existed at the time. It would be like 2 days before everyone wanted this feature or that feature they have grown to rely on requiring a tiny team to spend massive amounts of time trying to piece one absurd shard together. If they still had a back up from the last day before Trammel I'd say sure. Throw it up there. But from what I understand it doesn't exist and would still need a lot of work to make it run today anyway. I personally would love to see it just to prove what a dumb idea it is. Yeah I said it ;) Sometimes I shake my head and roll my eyes so much I wonder why I don't get headaches. The world moves on. FYI ya can't go back to the 1950s either. Just let it go.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I see your point and agree that the ship has sailed for UO, but it's not impossible and it's not necessarily a waste of resources. I'd play a UO that didn't have item properties. I miss going lich slaying with a silver weapon in my full valorite GM crafted plate. I'm not going to speak for "most people" though.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would hate to see them put a ton of work into another failed effort for a shard that would have zero activity in yet another effort to appease the minuscule PvP population. Any game needs new content or it gets boring quickly. That's flaw number one. Number 2 would be PvP *never* worked in UO. It was always a gank fest. Or possibly a well equipped aggressor preying on an easy kill that clearly was set up to do something other than PvP (ie miner etc). Pre UOR was a failed attempt and it was fixed. The only reason it had any success was it was a revolutionary mammoth game and nothing else like it existed at the time. It would be like 2 days before everyone wanted this feature or that feature they have grown to rely on requiring a tiny team to spend massive amounts of time trying to piece one absurd shard together. If they still had a back up from the last day before Trammel I'd say sure. Throw it up there. But from what I understand it doesn't exist and would still need a lot of work to make it run today anyway. I personally would love to see it just to prove what a dumb idea it is. Yeah I said it ;) Sometimes I shake my head and roll my eyes so much I wonder why I don't get headaches. The world moves on. FYI ya can't go back to the 1950s either. Just let it go.
The reason the game is dying, is because theres only a "minuscule PvP population". You basically have an entire game full of no pvpers and you tell me what you see when you to server to server outside of maybe Atlantic. Nobody. Nobody. Nobody. Nobody. Nobody, oh and did i mention NOBODY? Nobody's saying you shouldnt put out new content, but lets be real you clearly dont know what you're talking about as far as pvp. I started on Pacific, and the Order/Chaos battles, and EPIC faction battles. PVP WAS EVERYWHERE, and people loved it. The game thrived. With PVP basically killed, this is what you have. 50 or so give or take stratics players begging to push the game into further oblivion. What a great gameplan. I guess Blizzard thinks its a dumb idea, and they have people buzzing all over the place about returning for Vanilla wow. Is there a possibility this could fail if they do it ? Absolutely, sure there is. it's entirely possible they waited too long to open this window.. but I will tell you this.. I know players who will return if they do, and based off that, Im all in on it.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The reason the game is dying, is because theres only a "minuscule PvP population". You basically have an entire game full of no pvpers and you tell me what you see when you to server to server outside of maybe Atlantic. Nobody. Nobody. Nobody. Nobody. Nobody, oh and did i mention NOBODY? Nobody's saying you shouldnt put out new content, but lets be real you clearly dont know what you're talking about as far as pvp. I started on Pacific, and the Order/Chaos battles, and EPIC faction battles. PVP WAS EVERYWHERE, and people loved it. The game thrived. With PVP basically killed, this is what you have. 50 or so give or take stratics players begging to push the game into further oblivion. What a great gameplan. I guess Blizzard thinks its a dumb idea, and they have people buzzing all over the place about returning for Vanilla wow. Is there a possibility this could fail if they do it ? Absolutely, sure there is. it's entirely possible they waited too long to open this window.. but I will tell you this.. I know players who will return if they do, and based off that, Im all in on it.
Complete nonsense. People were forced to play the cards they were dealt. The very second they had an option Trammel was packed and Fel was dead. I admit I get sucked into ridiculous arguments, but this isn't going to be one of them. Have a great day and enjoy your black and white TV and rotary phone!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh you've worked side by side with them to know their capabilities? Amazing that groups of smaller, and more likely less qualified teams have done just this on a different platform offering rulesets from Pre-UOR through custom rulesets. I guess it's insane to think that actual teams of game programmers cant do that. And I'm pretty sure I recall many people just like you telling me a year to 3 years ago that a F2P server will never happen. I guess its hard to eat your own words when you know EVERYTHING.
:facepalm:

UO has two people who code. TWO.

Kyronix and Bleak.

"I recall many people just like you telling me a year to 3 years ago that a F2P server will never happen. I guess its hard to eat your own words when you know EVERYTHING."

Spare me your transparently hyperbolic sophistry. Troll harder.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Complete nonsense. People were forced to play the cards they were dealt. The very second they had an option Trammel was packed and Fel was dead. I admit I get sucked into ridiculous arguments, but this isn't going to be one of them. Have a great day and enjoy your black and white TV and rotary phone!
Wrong. I started in late 99, and when UOR hit, PVP was still just as busy as it was preuor. You're wrong. Maybe because you stayed in Trammel, you werent aware. I played on Baja, Pacific and Siege. All servers were popping. I could reference you to many screenshots of huge battles, or you're welcome to go look at the forums im sure theres an old thread of people reliving their older more fun pvp days back before the game killed it.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:facepalm:

UO has two people who code. TWO.

Kyronix and Bleak.

"I recall many people just like you telling me a year to 3 years ago that a F2P server will never happen. I guess its hard to eat your own words when you know EVERYTHING."

Spare me your transparently hyperbolic sophistry. Troll harder.
When someone is out of things to say, they typically fall into mockery. You can try to make yourself sound more on point by trying to overuse your vocabulary, but the point stands as stated. You're wrong. 2 coders have more then enough ability to take a game thats already programmed, and revert backwards. So spare me your presumptuous self-satisfied guesswork.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When someone is out of things to say, they typically fall into mockery. You can try to make yourself sound more on point by trying to overuse your vocabulary, but the point stands as stated. You're wrong. 2 coders have more then enough ability to take a game thats already programmed, and revert backwards. So spare me your presumptuous self-satisfied guesswork.
No, mockery is for those who clearly do not know WTF they're talking about. Such as you.

Kyronix works on game content and probably backend things. Bleak works on systems and is the only client coder. They would have to suspend all work on planed additions/changes just to set the clock back in the hopes that nostalgic ex-players would resubmit - in sufficient numbers to make a third ruleset worthwhile sustainable (a standard that EA would likely set).

The classic shard horse has been extensively beaten on Stratics. We've heard all the 'built it and they will come!' argument. We've heard the 'but X, Y, & Z game is doing it, so should UO!' argument. We've argued based on the maths we can speculatively piece together. We've even argued about how long such an undertaking would likely require. None of the pro arguments are particularly convincing, certainly not enough to lure the devs (let alone EA) down this regressive path.

Spare us your ridiculous, nostalgia-driven propaganda.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
First off who's to say what version of classic would be right or used?

Secondly the team... they borked the Atlas on first release, the Jewelry box isn't exactly working as desired/intended... etc... and you want this same team who doesn't even advertise the new robes being in the store to actually do a proper job at implementing a "classic" shard that no one can agree to what "classic" would be???

In addition... we have a thing called Siege/Mugen... It is PvP everywhere... it has one of the LOWEST populations of all servers and you think that PvP everywhere is THE way to be????? I laugh.

As well we can't even sub properly without guides and help which has since been removed from Stratics??? Who could come back???? How would they recover their lost accounts??? When 20 year vets struggle to keep accounts up and going and wading through the account mismanagement page you think returning players who haven't ever seen that P.O.S. that it is can do it??? Again I laugh.

Finally... I myself think every so often that it would be nice to go back to Pre-AoS because I too hate all the itemization etc... however... we need to remember that without AoS we would have NO custom housing..... which IMO is a kill for that idea... but as well there is no uber pets... it's back to the mare/beetle or WW .... boring... blah... AoS brought Malas... so no Doom... No Eodon, boats back to herky jerky, no new boats... back to lock and key and 100 failed attempts to walk off the plank of a ship... No pirates... no fishing excitement, T-Maps only go to 5... so if you enjoyed that well.... not anymore... I really think Tokuno was post AoS as well so no you can't have a mare/beetle... just the mare/WW... blah.... At any rate a whole lot would be missing from the experience and well.... as novel as it would be it'd quickly be boring... Mages would have to carry regs again... yeah... still not liking the idea of losing quite a lot of the things I find fun right now. Fishing, T-Hunting, Taming... Deco and Design...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just want a shard that doesnt allow cheating lol
I think we'd all like that.

Sometimes I think it would be good to have a fresh start... but then I think of all the things I've saved over the years from friends who've passed or left and I decide against that...

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The game is not dead because there is good content from like 10 years ago. If it was only for the content the current team added (refinements, new despise, haven mines, wedding package, eodon, grinds, grinds, grinds and so on), I would let my account decay without a second thought.

But once in a while I log in and smash some Miasmas, Orcs or whatnot with some random guy I pickup at Haven. Thank god the current team didn't touch those yet.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Dot is just using hyperbole to make her point and shaming people to not argue. There are facts out there that classic versions of games are wanted and are profitable. Limited team aside, you can hire someone that is strictly for the classic versions if enough people subscribe to pay for it.

Everquest has found it profitable.
Runescape has found it profitable.
Warcraft is implementing it and hiring a whole new team for it.

You can argue around with opinions all day, but these are facts.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The main reason these private shards are able to do interesting things is because the back end was written from scratch in c# which is a modern language that a halfwit can maintain. I'm guessing their 20+ year old legacy codebase is written in goopta or who knows what and it takes three days just to follow all the "goto's" and figure out what is going on....

UO is on end-of-life maintenance mode. Let's stop kidding ourselves - they're feeding us just enough to keep us tagging along, but they are not trying to reinvigorate the game.

Here's the thing about pre:AOR or other special ruleset shards. When you guys say this - Mesanna and team freak the **** out trying to figure out how they would make all those changes to the codebase and not break all the other shards. They aren't thinking outside the box. Here's what they should do...

1) Tell EA they would like to make a new ruleset for a shard and that Broadsword wants a bonus for each account that resubscribes and plays on the shard. Create some incentive for doing this work.
2) Make it a pet project for someone (an intern FFS). Branch the code base WHERE IT IS RIGHT NOW and then start hacking away and disabling stuff that doesn't belong.
3) Make this new shard a "special event shard" and do not allow transfers to or from it. The shard does not even have to be bug free... it's going to be wiped in the end - AOR sure wasn't bug free and people still played that.
4) IF this pet project goes well and the branched codebase turned out better than expected. You've gotten more active subs - you can now hire a new developer with that increased revenue and they can maintain this code branch and clean it up so there aren't any significant bugs and re-release it as a permanent server (still no transfers).

n00bPvper

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

Secondly the team... they borked the Atlas on first release, the Jewelry box isn't exactly working as desired/intended... etc... and you want this same team who doesn't even advertise the new robes being in the store to actually do a proper job at implementing a "classic" shard that no one can agree to what "classic" would be???

In addition... we have a thing called Siege/Mugen... It is PvP everywhere... it has one of the LOWEST populations of all servers and you think that PvP everywhere is THE way to be????? I laugh.

As well we can't even sub properly without guides and help which has since been removed from Stratics??? Who could come back???? How would they recover their lost accounts??? When 20 year vets struggle to keep accounts up and going and wading through the account mismanagement page you think returning players who haven't ever seen that P.O.S. that it is can do it??? Again I laugh.

Finally... I myself think every so often that it would be nice to go back to Pre-AoS because I too hate all the itemization etc... however... we need to remember that without AoS we would have NO custom housing..... which IMO is a kill for that idea... but as well there is no uber pets... it's back to the mare/beetle or WW .... boring... blah... AoS brought Malas... so no Doom... No Eodon, boats back to herky jerky, no new boats... back to lock and key and 100 failed attempts to walk off the plank of a ship... No pirates... no fishing excitement, T-Maps only go to 5... so if you enjoyed that well.... not anymore... I really think Tokuno was post AoS as well so no you can't have a mare/beetle... just the mare/WW... blah.... At any rate a whole lot would be missing from the experience and well.... as novel as it would be it'd quickly be boring... Mages would have to carry regs again... yeah... still not liking the idea of losing quite a lot of the things I find fun right now. Fishing, T-Hunting, Taming... Deco and Design...
I will just tell one thing here about your Siege/Mugen comment.
I think the lack of pvp on those shards is due to the fact that you need to do a CRAZY amount of farm to build up the gear needed for PvP. PvP is too expensive because of all the item propertys(and of course no item insurance), without them (classic server), the PvP activity would be way different imo.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I will just tell one thing here about your Siege/Mugen comment.
I think the lack of pvp on those shards is due to the fact that you need to do a CRAZY amount of farm to build up the gear needed for PvP. PvP is too expensive because of all the item propertys(and of course no item insurance), without them (classic server), the PvP activity would be way different imo.
While I'm aware of that isn't that what everyone wants though?? NO insurance and PvP everywhere??

Someone told me once that you ought to just go to Mugen and start playing with GM gear and pretend it's a classic shard... finding anyone on Mugen is near impossible but it would just take 1 jerk there to ruin that fun.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
The only games where I seen a really active PvP system is where you lose nothing by dying (other than some minor repairs over time) and possibly something like a 10 minute cool down before being able to get back in the action. I play one game like that and EVERYONE PvPs. It's all about the bragging rights or being able to control a sector.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'vd played Siege, both at it's prime and it's current type of state (nobody, like the majority of the servers). Nobody is asking specifically for a uor/preuor revert. We're asking for some type of classic server, before the more current releases. The game has become out of control and not fun for anyone who doesnt have millions, upon millions of gold, to compete in the circus act that is pvp in today's UO.

Lets be honest, if they didnt want new players, or returning players, this new f2p would have never been implemented. It's a step in the right direction, but as stated before.. the game in its current state is not enough to keep players playing. ITS JUST NOT. Maybe some of you who refuse to admit that maybe other people enjoy play styles other then yours, may want something different. UO at its current path will be done within a year tops. Uo is kind of like stratics. Nobody really wants to participate because the content is just garbage and UNWELCOMING.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty tired of hearing how you need millions and millions to compete in pvp. This is not true. My MAIN has 1 legendary arti (which i looted myself), the rest imbued and VvV jewles. People who spend platinums on a suit gain a 5% advantage in this or that, only because there is nothing else to spend your money on in UO other than deco.

StarstrukK

Adventurer

Siege also has no item insurance which you didn't mention. I have no desire to play an item based game with no insurance because I simply do not enjoy farming gear as much as others do which puts me at a major disadvantage while the PvP every aspect is a nice perk it's not enough for most to overlook the lack of item insurance. Siege was thriving Pre: AoS but once item's came into play and no insurance it started its inevitable decline.

Just because you like certain features doesn't mean others do as well no one is forcing you to leave your current server where you have everything that you enjoy all people are saying is that they to should have a shard where the game is the way they enjoyed it most. You know whats sad is that you might not ever make a classic server your main server but I wouldn't doubt the majority of players would check it out and play it on occasion for a change of pace or to enjoy other aspects of the game they lost which makes it that much more worthwhile for everyone. That's the beauty of it you can switch freely between the rulesets depending on mood and maybe the roleplay is better Pre AoS and you log on just to participate in that. Either way you are not losing anything you find fun right now the only difference is others HAVE lost the things they find fun and would like them back but I guess only what you enjoy matters?

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty tired of hearing how you need millions and millions to compete in pvp. This is not true. My MAIN has 1 legendary arti (which i looted myself), the rest imbued and VvV jewles. People who spend platinums on a suit gain a 5% advantage in this or that, only because there is nothing else to spend your money on in UO other than deco.
Interesting figures. What study did you come up with percentage? Youre wrong btw.. let me put a hypothetical situation down for you. Player a has a regular imbued suit / vvv item suit and 720 skill points. Play B has ridiculous legendary gear and can ideally construct 80 + skill points on jewelry alone. Factor in Max spell damage Mana regen HP regen HP increase damaged eaters splintering weapon among other properties that could be obtained with these Godly suits that are running around and tell me that player a stands even a remote chance of competing against player b. 5% is bullcrap.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Interesting figures. What study did you come up with percentage? Youre wrong btw.. let me put a hypothetical situation down for you. Player a has a regular imbued suit / vvv item suit and 720 skill points. Play B has ridiculous legendary gear and can ideally construct 80 + skill points on jewelry alone. Factor in Max spell damage Mana regen HP regen HP increase damaged eaters splintering weapon among other properties that could be obtained with these Godly suits that are running around and tell me that player a stands even a remote chance of competing against player b. 5% is bullcrap.
I pvp in imbued suits and in legendary suits, there is almost no difference since I kill people just as easy with either setup. Skill is still the dominant factor in PvP. Don't get me wrong though, I think the gear nowadays is way overdone. Its like they skipped right over 10 patches of buildup on gear and went straight to max mods. Outside programs and abuse of exploits and bugs are the reason PvP is basically dead on OSI, along with lack of GM's banning people who are caught using them. Even in todays gear and cheats I still have a hard time finding a competent pvper that will fight without a zerg. The talent has long been gone and replaced by auto-target and auto-chug and auto-healing and outrunning people to survive. I wouldn't mind a classic server up to ML to have some fun on, but I think Mesanna wont allow it cause its not her idea.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't mind a classic server up to ML to have some fun on, but I think Mesanna wont allow it cause its not her idea.
But see that's always been the problem with a vanilla server, no one can agree on the same classic era lol. For some it's T2A, others it's Pre-AOS and for you it's Pre-ML...
:bdh:

DSC Napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Personally I would want a Publish 1(November 23, 1999) server with some fixes and improvements up to Pub 15.
I am torn on things like repair contracts and the way certain spells are dealt with in pvp.
Keep pre casting
NO TRAM

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol arguing with Dot is pointless, she has very little insight to how this game works. She loves to beat on the powerscrolls in tram horse, but scorns those that want a classic shard. Funny thing is Mesanna has stated 5x they would never put scrolls in trammel, yet I don't really recall Mesanna saying flat out no on a classic server. Like it or not, the most popular UO server isn't on OSI, its a free server that happens to be a classic shard.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

You forgot skill/stat locks. And Tok was post-AoS. I would actually play in the pre-AOS world. Seriously. But as mentioned before here, there is too much drama on the other places I could play. IIRC one Dev way back also stated they actually had tossed the code that could have done the retro shard.

Sidebar: I have 40 years code/script experience I would gladly add on a part-time contract if BS and/or EA wished it. I'd just need to know what quals they desire. <shrug> I'm retired ... make me use my time up ... even if it's only documentation!

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can max out most stats with one legendary plus imbued, i say imbued, i meant reforged.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok, prove me wrong. Show me proof since you did it so easily.
If you are just using it for Dex/stamina or Int/mana it is easy to make a nice imbued or reforged suit. I also use one legendary or less piece just for the high resists.

For mixed templates its more difficult.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you are just using it for Dex/stamina or Int/mana it is easy to make a nice imbued or reforged suit. I also use one legendary or less piece just for the high resists.

For mixed templates its more difficult.
Yes, maxing 1-2 stats, its doable. Im talking about making one of these maxed out damage eater, extra skill points suits that are running around on Atlantic by the "PVP elite".

I was looking at a dudes suit the other day, that had max damage eater, max fire damage eater, max hp regen, max hp inc, max int inc, max lmc, max lrc, max spdi, max dci, max hci, over 40+useable skill points (could only see bracelet), 2-6 casting, and lots of other stats that werent maxed but were present. This is not doable unless you have a lot of gold and resources or illegal scripting.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I pvp in imbued suits and in legendary suits, there is almost no difference since I kill people just as easy with either setup. Skill is still the dominant factor in PvP. Don't get me wrong though, I think the gear nowadays is way overdone. Its like they skipped right over 10 patches of buildup on gear and went straight to max mods. Outside programs and abuse of exploits and bugs are the reason PvP is basically dead on OSI, along with lack of GM's banning people who are caught using them. Even in todays gear and cheats I still have a hard time finding a competent pvper that will fight without a zerg. The talent has long been gone and replaced by auto-target and auto-chug and auto-healing and outrunning people to survive. I wouldn't mind a classic server up to ML to have some fun on, but I think Mesanna wont allow it cause its not her idea.
This sums up most of it for me.

IMO they should have when they went to EM Based Events and all moved to "Themed" shards... PvP shards would have PvP based Events... it would have most the fixes to balance PvP and would have the GMs to manage it.. who aren't going to ban people for smack talking etc... but would for cheating... duping etc... Crafters would be welcome there to keep the PvPers in gear and maintained... and it should have more PvP ways of getting said gear and such...

RP based Shards with RP based Events and such.... and promotion of building the towns... of managing the towns... maintaining a government or governments... elected by the people... less NPCs and more RPers... With a GM base to keep the peace... moderate disputes and such... Would be more like Virtue and Anti-Virtue based... These towns would be focused on community be it good or evil or neutral... or what have you. Could also focus on perhaps allowing more customization by the community. Building cities or dungeons according to RP need...

PvM and PvE based shards... for folk who like what we have now... and enjoy just hunting, fishing, etc... with Events based on that... This would include rares gathering etc... These shards could have a range from classic to modern... and focus more on hunting and gathering... and rares.

Had they done that I think more people would be enjoying the game far more... Instead you get PvPers unhappy because of changes that effect PvM making PvP unbalanced and PvMers ticked off at being nerfed to maintain PvP balance... EM Events people get irritated trying to RP along while those there for the PvM are crying about being bored wanting to kill, kill, kill.... etc...

And finally if EA/DEVs really wanted to make Money... they would offer shards that people could group together and buy and run much like Aria and where folk could set and determine what sort of playstyle they wanted, what features they wanted, what facets their land would have etc... And they would essentially be the EM of their shard.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Over 4000 people have viewed my 2017 Tour video of the game.
It's absolutely amazing to see that people after 20 years still want to experience this game or at least check in from time to time so see how it's all still going.
Hopefully this is still bringing new players or even helping players who are thinking of returning to the game want to come back to it.
Here's to another 20 years hopefully!!!

This video is from April last year which feels like forever ago for me personally.
Thanks for watching loving or hating it, I am proud our little old game is still going strong!
YouTube views does not = subscriptions. To try and tie the two together is asinine.

Granted, UO is not a dead game. It’s a dying game. Slowly and painfully.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dot is just using hyperbole to make her point and shaming people to not argue. There are facts out there that classic versions of games are wanted and are profitable. Limited team aside, you can hire someone that is strictly for the classic versions if enough people subscribe to pay for it.

Everquest has found it profitable.
Runescape has found it profitable.
Warcraft is implementing it and hiring a whole new team for it.

You can argue around with opinions all day, but these are facts.
Lets look at the "facts" you brought to the table, without placing them in a contextual void.

We'll start with WoW: a game with ~10.1 million subscriptions that grosses OVER 1 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR. Blizzard has an already-huge team and modern assets. They can piss away millions on speculative ventures without it hurting their bottom line. The mining of their millions of nostalgic past subscribers for more money makes sense. Comparing WoW and UO is like comparing a Lamborghini to a Pinto. The upcoming Battle for Azeroth is likely to significantly blunt the effectiveness of Endless Journey, especially if their releases overlap to too great of a degree.

EverQuest and RuneScape are much better comparisons to UO, but it's still like comparing the aforementioned Pinto to a Cadillac ATS. While neither Daybreak or Jagex have published subscription numbers in a considerable length of time, both communities are significantly more vibrant than UO's. Runescape claims over 101K+ members online as I write this, which UO certainly can't match (even if only half that number are paid subscribers). Internet conjecture speculates EverQuest subs are between 75-150K, but who knows (10 of their 22 main servers are listed as "Medium," and 1 as "High" population ATM). Both games have ingame stores that simply put UO's to shame, so we can logically deduce they are a significantly greater revenue stream than UO's current offering. (Both games have also had their integrated stores a hell of a lot longer) Even with both games having been F2P for the better part of a decade, they probably still gross more than UO. They have the willingness and the resources to invest in their classic servers.

All three games still advertise to varying degrees.

All three games have a community team or liaison to interact with their players.

All three games at least attempt enforce their ToS/RoC, sometimes even publicly.

Now let's look at UO:
  • UO has a 6-person dev team, 4 of whom do not code.
    • Two people who actually make changes to the game code: Kyronix & Bleak
    • 2 artists: Onifirk and Levitica
    • 1 QA: Misk
    • 1 producer: Mesanna
  • EA holds the purse strings and collects all monies through Origin.
    • They contract Broadsword to administer and develop UO.
  • UO has an unknown number of subscriptions, but we like to throw out 50K because its an easy number to work with number.
    • 50K subscription 50K players. Most players have multiple accounts, sometimes excessively so.
      • A fair number of those accounts play the three-month-cycle.
      • UO likely grosses significantly less than its main rivals.
  • Broadsword doesn't have server code backups prior to the move from Redwood Shores to Virginia.
  • No community person
    • They have been virtually inactive on Stratics since September 30th (only 6 posts, all responses to bugs).
    • Many M&Gs can charitably be described as hostile.
  • No meaningful advertising since at least Stygian Abyss ('09)
    • uo.com is woefully underutilized
      • Doesn't even bother hosting a local copy of the newsletter or announce that it was sent out.
    • The 20th Anniversary felt like a state secret outside the community
      • Were any of the UO-friendly gaming sites even invited?
    • No advertising of additions to the ingame store, they simply appear without fanfare.
    • Devs have given random podcast interviews that are neither announced or retroactively linked to.
  • UO's ToS/RoC enforcement is a joke.
    • Mesanna isn't going to bother enforcement until EJ; likely because that's when the official forums return, and she wants to be able to infract posters.
  • Mesanna has publicly said no to a classic shard on at least two occasions.
If Broadsword were to venture down the classic shard path, there would have to be a payday at the end. EA isn't going to throw money at UO for what could be a losing proposition. Those who want a classic shard like to point at the free shards as shining examples of the fact that it can be done - glossing over the fact that said shards aren't running UO server code, were made by people who specifically wanted to do it, and have a comparatively low overhead. Pinto to a Fiesta.

Maybe if Broadsword greatly expanded the ingame store or got enough people to resub through EJ they could convince EA that the money for a classic shard was a worthwhile investment. If so, great! But the cart cannot come before the horse.