• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

anyone see this from uo/ea

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/riccitiello.html
EA's CEO: How I Learned To Acquire Developers And Not Screw Them Up
By Chris Kohler February 08, 2008 | 1:34:44 PMCategories: DICE 2008

LAS VEGAS -- Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello is very sorry about what happened to Bullfrog. And Westwood. And Origin Systems.

""We at EA blew it, and to a degree I was involved in these things, so I blew it."

In his presentation kicking off the final day of the DICE Summit, the head of the videogame superpublisher acknowledged that his company's previous strategy of acquiring talented developers just didn't work. But these days, even as EA and its competitors swallow up more and more developers in the race towards consolidation, Riccitiello thinks things are working out right with companies like Bioware and Maxis, by letting them keep their corporate culture.

Riccitiello said that the company's "one-management-size-fits-all" mentality with its acquisitions in the past only stifled creative freedom. "When I talked to the creators that populated these companies at the time, they felt like they were buried and stifled," he said.

Electronic Arts acquired Bullfrog, creators of acclaimed strategy games like Populous, in 1995. By 1997, the group's star creative talent, Peter Molyneux, had quit.

"Creative teams can be thought of as flowers in a hothouse -- you move the temperature up or down a few degrees and the flowers will die," he said.

The fear that talent will flee a studio, leaving no value left in the business, is "well-founded... it's exactly right," said Riccitiello.

"The command and conquer model," he said, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

The EA top executive's speech focused on "the new economics of game development," telling the audience that he would put forth a "new model" of "how publishers and developers can work together in the future" to solve issues like rising development costs, consolidation of the industry, and creative failure like EA experiences.

Riccitiello joined Electronic Arts in 1997 as the company's president, after stints at PepsiCo and Clorox. He left the company but returned this year, and quickly restructured the company into four different "labels," each with its own leadership: EA Sports, EA Games, The Sims, and EA Casual.

Riccitiello inherited a company much different than the one he started at in 1997. A decade ago, he said, you could make a triple-A game with a team of about 35 people. Today, he says, it's more like 200, after totaling up outsourced art, voice talent, and technology.

Electronic Arts also publishes games on 12 different platforms in many countries, adding cost of localization and porting the code. As an example, Riccitiello said that FIFA Soccer 08 shipped on eight platforms, 16 countries, 20 languages, and totaled an astonishing 94 separate SKUs.

Riccitiello said that consolidation -- big publishers buying up smaller developers -- is an inevitable consequence. He showed a series of slides that illustrated just how many different developers have been bought up by publishers like EA and Activision.

"I think that there's going to be fewer major publishers in 2010 than there are today. I think the second-tier players are going to thin out pretty significantly. The market share controlled by the few major publishers is going to be greater in 2010 than it is today," he said.

Riccitiello says that EA's "label model" presents solutions to many of these issues. Developers can be a part of a larger organization and not have to fear going out of business, but since EA doesn't "meddle" in their corporate culture, it allows groups like Maxis and Bioware to retain their unique goals.

Riccitiello called it the "city-state" model.

G

I fear that article has the ring of "I need to be seen to be doing something".

The problem that people at that high a level run into is that they have no realistic way of seeing the consequences (good or bad) of how their decisions trickle down when morale at the low levels actually affects the overall success of the business. All they can really do is look the through the rubble when things blow up and try to find something to point to as the mistake to avoid.

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail,

Let us hope EA & EAMythic are able to learn from their mistakes, and from history.

If so, Ultima Online may yet realize its potential.

It remains the most awesome virtual world anywhere. Its potential is limited only by creativity, imagination, and efficient use of finite resources.

Play On, folks, Play On!

I

imported_Cysphruo

<blockquote><hr>

He left the company but returned this year, and quickly restructured the company into four different "labels," each with its own leadership: EA Sports, EA Games, The Sims, and EA Casual

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if jeremy would comment on which group uo falls into.

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

EA Games

[/ QUOTE ]

EA Games or EA MYthic , or do you consider it the same??

G

EA Games is the label, EA Mythic is the studio. Bioware (EA Bioware?) is another studio under the EA Games label.

G

Interesting post. I sincerely hope and pray that this is the first step in actually following through with making the needed improvements. *hears a collected sigh of relief from all teams* I am hopefull by this statement and acknowledgement that they have screwed up but I have seen it before in my life.

*sits, watches, hopes, and waits*

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hail,

Let us hope EA &amp; EAMythic are able to learn from their mistakes, and from history.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can always hope, but honestly so far they haven't, it's been the the same with EAMythic as it was with Bullfrog, Westwood, Maxis, Origin 'etc 'etc The incorporated company gets snuffed, and even if they keep the name the "EA Policies" of poor releases and poor support always seep to the front.

Always hope though, no matter how unlikly...

~Rai

G

The problem with corporate mentality is that it is entirely at odds with what individual people need. People need to feel that they are important and that their efforts and lives mean something to the mind of the corporation. Most people have a sense of right and wrong and work much more efficiently in an environment that encourages moral business practices and wants the best for each employee. Most corporations do not accept or just ignore that fact and the fools (corporations) are suffering for it and rightly so.

Let's hope EA woke up to that fact.

I

imported_Coldren

Let me get this straight: They make an entire division out of THE SIMS, but DON'T separate MMO's, which consists of an entirely different development process, support, and financial model (no matter the genre, fantasy or otherwise) from "Games" that aren't sports, Pogo, or The Sims?

Does anyone else see the flaw in this?

Even EA Worlds would have been better. All of their MMO's will develop and work differently than any other type of game they can develop, and stand the most to benefit from their own structure, if differences do exist between divisions.

I suppose it's a STEP in the right direction, but when it comes to MMO's, I think they'll CONTINUE to miss the mark from a business perspective, unless of course WHO is remarkably successful. Then, and only then, will they give MMO's as a whole the proper recognition and support.

G

Completely pedantic and useless comment - the acronym we use is WAR - the full game title is Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. WHO makes me think of CSI :p

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

Completely pedantic and useless comment - the acronym we use is WAR - the full game title is Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. WHO makes me think of CSI :p

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh.. Didn't noticed they dropped the "Online" part. I mean, it's right there in the title banner on the web page, after all.

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

Good that he's finally come around and realized this....I think many of us have been saying it for years!

Anyone want to bet this was behind the move of UO to the East Coast?

<blockquote><hr>

"It's obvious that we can't handle this. Let's put it fully under Mythic, move it out there, and let Mythic do what it does? I mean, really why would we pay so much money for it only to screw it up by trying to make it be us? I mean, come on, we kinda suck. 90 hour work weeks to spin our wheels and put out the latest hockey game. I mean come on now."

[/ QUOTE ]

-Galen's player

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

*chuckles*

WAR isn't an acronym, it's self promotion. Hopefully you won't sue me, but I'm going with WHO.

While the full name of the game may be Warhammer: Age of Reckoning, what's the Internet site called?

*smiles*

And how does everyone refer to it?

*smiles*

-Galen's player

G

<blockquote><hr>

Let me get this straight: They make an entire division out of THE SIMS, but DON'T separate MMO's, which consists of an entirely different development process, support, and financial model (no matter the genre, fantasy or otherwise) from "Games" that aren't sports, Pogo, or The Sims?

Does anyone else see the flaw in this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.

An MMO is more a service than a "game." By still failing to realize this with his restructuring of the company, Riccitiello is showing that, in spite of admitting their mistakes, he and EA have have failed to learn much from those mistakes about MMOs.

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

Well, yes, but WOAR isn't as cool an acronym :p

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I could see an Ork shouting that....

"WWWAAAARRRGGGGHH! WWWOOAARR!!"

And, really, Age of Reckoning, if you think about it, sounds more like an expansion pack to Warhammer ONLINE.

What are they gonna call the first expansion pack? Warhammer: Age of Reckoning: The Second Age?

Sakkarah

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man, I grew up on Bullfrog and Westwood games. Bullfrog was hands down my favorite. Do you know how many hours I`ve spent playing Dungeon Keeper I and II? I've finished the entire game more times than I dare admit. Part of me still hopes that someday, they will dust it out and finally come out with DK III which was supposed to take place overland. I was really curious to see how they would pull it off considering the main challenge was digging your way around to build/defend your dungeon. I was also a big Theme Hospital and Populous junky. Yes I'm a big RTS fan

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one that first read this as Jeremy straight calling out Coldren? I was about to post "You go, girl!" until I read it a few times and figured it out.

I was so hopeful...

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one that first read this as Jeremy straight calling out Coldren? I was about to post "You go, girl!" until I read it a few times and figured it out.

I was so hopeful...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, hopefully I'm not the first that would NEED to be called out like that.

Tisk tisk.. Got a grudge against me?

G

Hehehe, no... I just try to warn y'all when I'm about to say something unhelpful, so no one is too badly disappointed :p

I

imported_Coldren

Suuuuurrre.... We both know Cogniac just saw through your facade.. You just don't like me. I got schooled.

That's ok. I like you anyway.

K

kennykilleduo

I like these comments:

http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/uo/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=7617258&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1

<blockquote><hr>

This is quoted from another site from Mark Jacobs:

Source:

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=662086#662086

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folks,

Keep this in mind when you look at WAR's development, especially in regard to EA. Since EA bought us, we've extended the development time of WAR in order to make it a better game. As the guys from Blizzard just said at D.I.C.E., it's their willingness to miss ship dates + commitment to quality that has allowed them to make hit after hit. When we have told EA that we have needed to delay the game, they didn't blithely say "Gee, okay, take your time, we don't mind!" but rather "Okay, show us why you need more time and why this game is going to succeed." Since we have been able to do that, they then gave us the time we needed. Our CEO has publicly stated that EA needs to raise the quality bar of our games and we at the EA Games Label, are working hard to do that. The president of the Games Label, Frank Gibeau, is a huge MMO fan and has been very supportive of us. With our beta signups, surging interest in Asia and reactions from our beta testers, EA knows that we are well on our way to making a great and successful game and they are giving us the time and resources to do just that.

I won't say "It will be done when it's done" but creating something great on a large scale takes time and as Blizzard and BioWare have proven, if you take the time, invest the resources and have the talent then good things will happen in the end. And believe me, nobody wants to see WAR take the stage more than I do but, as I've said before, I'd rather have you pissed at us now than pissed at us when we release.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In that case: Completely useless and pedantic comment - item property order. Zing!

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing the title isn't "War Hammer Online: Age of Reckoning"...

... It'd be interesting to hear people annunciating that acronym when they what game they are playing...

*song stuck in head*
*whoooooo are you*

... Jeremy's fault!

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

... It'd be interesting to hear people annunciating that acronym when they what game they are playing...

*song stuck in head*
*whoooooo are you*

... Jeremy's fault!

[/ QUOTE ]

I present for evidence direct from the site, Exhibit A:

..*who who.. Who who*

G

...but Warhammer is one word...

... try the acronym of the game if War Hammer were 2 words...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How about renaming it "Group Warhammer: Age of Reckoning"?

P

Paris_Hilton

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

*chuckles*

WAR isn't an acronym, it's self promotion. Hopefully you won't sue me, but I'm going with WHO.

While the full name of the game may be Warhammer: Age of Reckoning, what's the Internet site called?

*smiles*

And how does everyone refer to it?

*smiles*

-Galen's player

[/ QUOTE ]

"WAR isn't an acronym, it's self promotion. Hopefully you won't sue me, but I'm going with WHO."

Seems Warhammer is one word so shouldn't it be:

Warhammer Online = WO?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

*song stuck in head*
*whoooooo are you*

... Jeremy's fault!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think some people got it, try this:

"War Hammer Online: Reckoning Epoc"

D

dhekke

I am willing to bet money that if WAR (let go, people) actually take a big swing at WoW's face the expansion will be something along the lines of

Warhammer Online: Outlaw Territories