• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone live in Rio?

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Heading to the Olympics in August and would like some local info :)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I live in Curitiba, around 600 or so KMs away from Rio.
As for Rio, don't go. DON'T GO! BY ALL MEANS, DON'T GO!

Back in 2008, on my way from the airport to my hotel in Copacabana, I saw a man being shot blank point.
My hotel had bullet proof windows and walls.
And things got worse since.

If despite all that, you decide to risk your life there:
1. Avoid the "favelas" by ALL MEANS. Going there means getting shot and killed with machine gun fire for taking a wrong turn.
2. Don't go out with lots of valuables. Carry some 20 USD bills with you to hand to the inevitable muggers.
3. If you go to the beach, take as little as possible with your. The "arrastões", where waves of thieves trample everyone who is there, robbing them of their belongings. They happen way too often
4. If you hear anything that sounds like gunshot, seek shelter asap. Drug lords gun fights and open wars are a thing there.
5. Avoid the Guanabara Bay unless you want to get sick. Super bacteria live there.
6. Use mosquito repellent and don't take part in... err... vigorous cuddling with local... professional girls without protection. Zika virus is a thing. A serious thing.
7. Be prepared to be overcharged for EVERYTHING.

If you follow those tips, you should make back home alive.

Edit:

This FB post should be public so you can watch the video.

Last edited:

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
I live in Curitiba, around 600 or so KMs away from Rio.
As for Rio, don't go. DON'T GO! BY ALL MEANS, DON'T GO!

Back in 2008, on my way from the airport to my hotel in Copacabana, I saw a man being shot blank point.
My hotel had bullet proof windows and walls.
And things got worse since.

If despite all that, you decide to risk your life there:
1. Avoid the "favelas" by ALL MEANS. Going there means getting shot and killed with machine gun fire for taking a wrong turn.
2. Don't go out with lots of valuables. Carry some 20 USD bills with you to hand to the inevitable muggers.
3. If you go to the beach, take as little as possible with your. The "arrastões", where waves of thieves trample everyone who is there, robbing them of their belongings. They happen way too often
4. If you hear anything that sounds like gunshot, seek shelter asap. Drug lords gun fights and open wars are a thing there.
5. Avoid the Guanabara Bay unless you want to get sick. Super bacteria live there.
6. Use mosquito repellent and don't take part in... err... vigorous cuddling with local... professional girls without protection. Zika virus is a thing. A serious thing.
7. Be prepared to be overcharged for EVERYTHING.

If you follow those tips, you should make back home alive.

Edit:

This FB post should be public so you can watch the video.
Sounds like fun. Any restaurant recommendations?