• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone else play UO with a G15 Keyboard?

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got a Logitech G15 keyboard for my birthday, and for the life of me I can't get it to work with UO.

UO sees my G-keys as F1, F2, etc. The program that came with the keyboard I can't get it to see my mouse clicks.

I must be too blonde, or too inept to use this thing.:loser: Any help or tips to get this keyboard to work with UO would be appreciated.

MODs please don't beat on my post! This was the only place I could think of to ask since UO isn't EVEN mentioned on the Logitech forums! :gee:

Thanks in advance!

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They may move this to Off Topic, if so don't worry.

Yes I have two, one for each computer/account and I know there are others here.

Are you using the keyboard profiler to enter / build G15 Macroes?

If not, it is fairly simple, the Profiler is normally in the systray. right click it and select open.

Then Left click any of the G keys is the window there and select (Left Click) Macro manager.

Press the New Button.

Give it a name.

Press the Start Recording Button.

Hit F4 for example.

Press the Stop Recording button.

Press the OK button.

You will now see the Name assigned to the G Key.

Select that G key again (left Click)

Select Repeat Options.

Select Toggle.

Now that GKey will continuously send F4 to the Current Window (presumably UO) (I run full screen.

You can edit the Macro and insert a delay after.

Oh Say 15 seconds so the value would be 15000 (it will end up being 15.000).

Now you can build a UO macro for the F4 key such as

use skill Tamming
Wait For Target
LastTarget

now once you hit the assigned GKey you will issue use the Tame skill on the last target. You can use the mouse to move and not worry about it. When you see a Tame cycle start hit the G Key again and the F4 key is no longer going to be sent.

Of course you would not want a 15 second delay for taming, maybe a 1 or 2 second delay or none.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:danceb: TY! TY! I'm gonna try this when I get home from work tomorrow! I'd do it tonight but I'm too tired! Its 12:28 AM here and I been up since 6:30 AM this morning ...ugggh. Again TY! TY! :danceb:

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way I did it in AoC was to simply record my game macros onto key combos like CTRL+SHIFT+F1, then set the G1 key to play said keys.

I don't use it for UO, but I'd assume it would be the same.

T

T_Amon_from_work

Like Vor ... I recorded macros for the game and then set the G keys to play them. I use UO client macros and UOA.

I would suggest a definition file for character type played - One for Paladin, Necro, Mage ... etc. I have found that some of them need more than 18 keys for macros!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To record mouse clicks, download the latest drivers from logitech. The default drivers that came with the G15 might be an older version that doesn't have teh record mouse click functionality.

Also, UO and UOA doesn't recognize the G keys. What you basically need to do is create macros in UO or UOA, assign it to a key, then set up your G keys to play those macros.

On the surface, the G15 keyboard might not sound too helpful. However, now you can create UO macros using normally awkward keys like "ctrl + alt +shift + q", and call it with a single key!

Another immensely helpful feature is with drinking potions when you are using shields/2-handed weapons. UOA has an arm/unarm left hand function. It also has a drink cure/heal potion function. These needs to be set to different keys and you can't record a macro in UOA to do this.

The old method was to setup a macro in UO to un-arm, then record a macro in UOA to delay 1000, then drink potions, and have both assigned to the same key. But this uses up a UOA macro and forces UOA to toggle to this macro page.

With your G15, you can create a macro to activate the UOA disarm function, wait 1 sec, then activate the UOA drink cure/heal function. It's much more efficient!

For better effect, use the M keys to toggle between macro sets between warriors and mages etc.

For BEST effect, combine with a 8/10 button Razor mouse, and record macros with those buttons! Like simply calling the UOA Arm left hand key or play a "use smoke bomb" macro in UOA etc :)

1 more thing, you might want to create a set of standard UO macros for all your avatars. To do this, just setup all the macros you would want on one of you avatars, then exit UO (safer to exit first, or the client may crash when you load other avatars), use windows explorer, go to the uo\desktop\<your uo account name>\<shard>\<avatar name> and copy your macros.txt file to the respective folders for the rest of your avatars.

To make it default for all newly created avatars, copy it to your main UO folder. (backup thr original first)

Warning, do not copy the other files, esp the multicache.dat file.

Happy birthday and enjoy your new G15 keyboard! And remember, the keyboard is legal, unattended macroing is not :thumbsup:

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also for the G-15 there are LCD applets for starting up and completely controlling TeamSpeak I know for sure but there I think is also one for Vent. I happen to own a G-15 and I love it long time. lol :)

T

T_Amon_from_work

True on not recognizing the G keys, BUT if I assign UOA CTRL-H for Bandage Self and M1-G1 to play CTRL-H it works just ducky.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
M1 on my G15's are for EQ, M2 is for UO, M3 is for system commands (Monitor on, Monitor Off).

As to the Mouse Actions, I have found it just as easy and perhaps abit more so, to simply insert them. I do not have very complicated requirements of the Mouse and GKey Macros.

The only macros I use a lot are the Taming Macro and a Veting Macro (Pet Training).

After that it is a Temp Macro I customize for Character trade actions / skill building.

S

Sarphus

I've had a G15 keyboard for a while now, but we're in a really small apartment and I just don't have space to use it. Right now my UO setup is based on the amount of space I have available, so I sacrifice a lot of "ease" to be able to play.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use a g-15 keyboard an older one with 18 g-keys.

First is to make macros in UO that will match the keystroke. I use alt+F key then when i run out of the 12 (alt+F1-12) I switch to Ctrl+alt+F1-6 this frees up my F1-F12 for other macros. like seen here.

Say you set (inside) UO cast heal to alt-F1 then you would do the same for the keyboard. It works with UOassist hotkeys also.

Its pretty simple really.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Seeing as they don't make the G-15 in the "natural" style.... I've resorted to the Nostromo n-52 speedpad... which I love and adore.... certainly saves my hands a lot.... being an "older" player.... I suffer a bit of Arthritis.. and the n-52 does help me quite a bit with not having to hold alt this and cnt that... or gods forbid alt+cnt+key....

I've thought about getting the "newer" version of the n-52 but my old one works just dandy yet and I can't justify the expense...

If they ever make the g-15 in a natural keyboard style.... You can BET I'll have one.... but otherwise I'll never go back to a straight keyboard, so I'll keep my natural keyboard and the n-52.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seeing as they don't make the G-15 in the "natural" style.... I've resorted to the Nostromo n-52 speedpad... which I love and adore.... certainly saves my hands a lot.... being an "older" player.... I suffer a bit of Arthritis.. and the n-52 does help me quite a bit with not having to hold alt this and cnt that... or gods forbid alt+cnt+key....

I've thought about getting the "newer" version of the n-52 but my old one works just dandy yet and I can't justify the expense...

If they ever make the g-15 in a natural keyboard style.... You can BET I'll have one.... but otherwise I'll never go back to a straight keyboard, so I'll keep my natural keyboard and the n-52.
I dont get what your sayin mine is like a normal keyboard cept I have 18 g-keys to the left like a number pad.

Anne

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where do you get an applet for controlling Vent? And are there others?

Zooithion

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had/have one of those but I wore it out :( The quality just wasn't up to par although I did like it!

I dont get what your sayin mine is like a normal keyboard cept I have 18 g-keys to the left like a number pad.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Yes that's your keyboard ...... and it's straight..... but my Keyboard is shaped like so:

This is a Speedpad.... though this is the "newer" version... Basicly it's the same as the G-15 it's just all in the palm of my hand..... with a few extra keys and a scroller.

Which is much nicer on my wrists and my hands.

T

T_Amon_from_work

Your board is the ergonomic design stuff.

Logitech board Kaleb is showing is the G15 Gaming Keyboard - slightly different than the G15 or the G11. I have same as Kaleb. Love playing in the dark ... can still see the key! Woohoo!

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yah its nice havin 30 macros and not spammin a line of jibberish after 5 mins of playin. I have had this keyboard for a couple years and I cant even picture using another. Mine has held up pretty well spilled coffee and beer still works great.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where do you get an applet for controlling Vent? And are there others?
If you open your vent program and before connecting to a server click on the setup button and then click on the Global tab and check mark the box that says Logitech Game Panel LCD Suppor (G15) and then click on and when you connect to whatever server it is you connect to it will show you your ping and the users in that channel.

L

Lord Kynd

Happy birthday and enjoy your new G15 keyboard! And remember, the keyboard is legal, unattended macroing is not :thumbsup:

so this keyboard loops macro's ? :(

a ergo. keyboards are a total pain in the rear to use. give me a flat straight one anyday.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I actually have the G11. Same as the G15 but 18*3 G keys and doesn't have a screen.

My thinking was I'd rather have more keys.. and who looks at the keyboard when typing anyway? The little screen would be pointless for me.

I have a large desk.. must be 1.5/2meters in width so plenty of room.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so this keyboard loops macro's?

Yes, up to a point. It lets you press keys repeatedly, sort of like leaving a paperweight on your F1 key, but allows more control.

Doesn't come close to when UOA still had the continuous loop option, but has it's uses.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes the keyboard allows you to loop macro's.... however that's marginally useful and it's not worth using as it's not legal to macro unattended. The reason I enjoy the n-52 over the G-15 is when I'm fighting I don't need to talk to you so i have one hand very comfortably on my n-52 and one on my mouse... it allows me to have all my macro's basicly in the palm of my hand rather than trying to F4 this and F9 that and having one hand roaming all over the keyboard... So the G-15 does the same thing only its attached to the keyboard.... That is what I use it for... I have all my pet commands on it when I'm out with my tamer... I have all my fighting macro's such as bandage self, use primary weapon skill, consecrate weapon, and so on when I'm on a fighter... and I can set up a profile for each and every one of my characters from my alchemist to my tamer... and I don't get the hand cramps from trying to Alt F7 or Cnt F5..... does that make sense?

I'm sure some folk abuse the ability to loop a macro... just like they abuse other things... But they run the risk of someone finding them unattended macroing and getting their account banned...

As I recall the DEV team members said the G-15 was legal because they themselves use one. So they would have to ban themselves or it would be very hippocritical... besides what are they going to do about it? Go to everyones home and see what they set up is??? I don't think so...

T

T_Amon_from_work

nice thing is also the ability to lock out accidental press of the Windows key for the start menu - and 2 USB ports! They might be 1.1 but are def handy.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I just skimmed the thread, but it doesn't look like anyone mentioned the obvious first step with a G15. You need to create a profile for the game. That's the first step.

Open the keyboard profiler application. Go to the top left corner, click on Profile, then New. Give the profile a name and a description if you wish, go down to "Select Game Executable", click on the three dots to the right of the white field, then navigate to your UO folder and choose "client.exe". Click on "OK".

Once you've done that when you start up the game it should choose the profile for you automatically. If for some reason it does, which occassionally happens to me, all you need to do generally is just open the keyboard profiler application and click the arrow to the left of the profile name.

Once you've done that then you can follow the steps that everyone else in this thread has mentioned.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In contrast to Llewyn ... which I do not contest, more that it is not mandatory to create a profile.

You can use the M1, M2, M3 buttons to group/categorize the GKey Macros.

That is how I do it, I use M1 for EQ Macros (not used any longer), M2 for UO Macros and M3 for system functions.

Another thing I use the M keys for is to terminate with force a running macro. On occasion, I may fat finger a GKey or hit the wrong one and not really know I did. I end up with a GKey Macro running and not know which one it is. This can be most annoying, so I simply hit the M3 button. That will switch the Macro list to M3's list, which is only G1 and G2 and neither of them repeat. G1 is monitor on, G2 is monitor off.

One of my Keyboards is the 15 Key newer version (I do not like nearly as much), the other is the older 18 key Keyboard.

I could have as easily lived with the G11 version. The only thing I display on the LCD is the Day/Time applet. Which on occasion is convenient. :)

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Also for the G-15 there are LCD applets for starting up and completely controlling TeamSpeak I know for sure but there I think is also one for Vent. I happen to own a G-15 and I love it long time. lol :)
this sounds interesting.

would you mind giving us a quick walk through for TS as you did with the Vent?

i just loaded TS and didnt see anything to click or how to set it up.

C

Canucklehead73

I got a Logitech G15 keyboard for my birthday, and for the life of me I can't get it to work with UO.

UO sees my G-keys as F1, F2, etc. The program that came with the keyboard I can't get it to see my mouse clicks.

I must be too blonde, or too inept to use this thing.:loser: Any help or tips to get this keyboard to work with UO would be appreciated.

MODs please don't beat on my post! This was the only place I could think of to ask since UO isn't EVEN mentioned on the Logitech forums! :gee:

Thanks in advance!

I use my G15 to trigger my -> UO macros <-

Be aware you might violate the rules using the G15 Macro recorder, as the application that runs the G15 macros is not an approved application.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
In contrast to Llewyn ... which I do not contest, more that it is not mandatory to create a profile.

You can use the M1, M2, M3 buttons to group/categorize the GKey Macros.

That is how I do it, I use M1 for EQ Macros (not used any longer), M2 for UO Macros and M3 for system functions.
I like having different profiles for different applications, as well as a distinct default profile. I use all 18 of my G keys on M1 for UO, plus a significant number of my M3 keys (can't remember if I have anything on M2). I play more than three games, so I most definitely want each to have it's own profile. I'm not criticizing you, I'm just saying that would limit the functionality of my keyboard for me.

Be aware you might violate the rules using the G15 Macro recorder, as the application that runs the G15 macros is not an approved application.
The question has been asked of the devs whether a G15 keyboard is legit to use, and the answer was yes, including all of it's functionality. It is the only legal way to loop macros, as long as you are not afk.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
R

Richtor Darkbane

I'm almost sold on the G-15, but tell me, can the LED display work with UO to show me anything useful?

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm almost sold on the G-15, but tell me, can the LED display work with UO to show me anything useful?
I have not found a way. tho I use UOA and its not that big of a deal to me. WOW tho heheh shows alot of char info. Im pretty sure there may be some kind of addon to do it. If you enjoy pvp this keyboard is a good choice.

C

Canucklehead73

The question has been asked of the devs whether a G15 keyboard is legit to use, and the answer was yes, including all of it's functionality. It is the only legal way to loop macros, as long as you are not afk.
Well feel free to do what you wish, but I have never seen a post by the Devs saying you can use any application that is not on their list of approved applications, I worry about using the profiler but still do, but once you get into looping macros and using it for mouse clicks I can def see the rules being broken, especially if as you inferred, your are not attended.... Just offering some friendly advice.

PASmountaindew

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not seen any UO add-ons for the LCD display but the CD that comes with the keyboard not only has the drivers and software but also has a SDK (software development kit) file so you can actually make your own add-ons for whatever you like as long as you know how to do it. :)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well feel free to do what you wish, but I have never seen a post by the Devs saying you can use any application that is not on their list of approved applications, I worry about using the profiler but still do, but once you get into looping macros and using it for mouse clicks I can def see the rules being broken, especially if as you inferred, your are not attended.... Just offering some friendly advice.
I have seen this question answered specifically by one of the devs. Whether you choose to believe me or not is up to you. The search feature for UO Stratics appears to be broken, and we are still missing a lot of old material on the forums, so unfortunately, I am unable to back up what I've posted with a link... :)

And there are plenty of legit reasons to want to loop a macro without leaving the game unattended.