• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Any UO Players in here? Thoughts?

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Been watching this game, but cautious to spend the big money on a game after many dissapointments.

How is it? Tell me more!

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have heard of some people leaving UO for RIFT, but then people have been leaving UO to try other games since there were other games, so it doesn't really mean much.

You may get a good idea of what the game is like by watching some of the videos at YouTube - tgnRift's Channel
I often find that watching people play the game lets me form a much better personal opinion than listening to other peoples' opinions.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have heard of some people leaving UO for RIFT, but then people have been leaving UO to try other games since there were other games, so it doesn't really mean much.

You may get a good idea of what the game is like by watching some of the videos at YouTube - tgnRift's Channel
I often find that watching people play the game lets me form a much better personal opinion than listening to other peoples' opinions.
Good point Cirno. I could use a new subject for youtube anyway. Its been oldschool UO raps and Vent Rage Sessions the last couple days. bleh.

P

Pauldarian

As a long time UO player (started in 97) and have been playing on and off for ten years or so.
I must say now that I have played Rift, it's very doubtful that I am ever coming back to Ultima Online.

If you are worried about shelling out cash find a friend that maybe lives near by? ask if you can create a character on a server they don't play on to see if you like it.

Personally I love it.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey Pauldarian, I actually won a free weekend pass from PC GAMER today. I've been playing it all night.

My initial thoughts, only a few hours in.

It plays alot like WoW, interface is very similar. But I suppose this is the standard.

I am really enjoying the graphics.

I will definitely be buying it. I am so far enjoying myself alot. We'll see how I feel come Monday.

But so far I am definitely liking it. Much more than I ever like Wow/EQ2/EQ/AOC/WAR/etc... which were never at any point entertaining for me. Mainly played those because friends did.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Who more than WoW/EQ2/etc.?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'd had a lot of bourbon at the time. The question was supposed to be, "Why more than WoW/EQ2/etc.?"

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd had a lot of bourbon at the time. The question was supposed to be, "Why more than WoW/EQ2/etc.?"
HAHAHA, ok now I got it.

Well, initial thoughts on why:

While it plays kind of the same: I.E. interface/hotbars/bags/questing...the comparison ends there.

Its not NEARLY as cartoony as WOW, nor chunky like EQ2/SWO/DAOC

The graphics are BEAUTIFUL. Even on Minimal settings.

The other awesome thing is, and Im not sure if this is a this weekend only thing, but the land is under attack from some forces(going along with story line, dont know much about it), but basically you will be out leveling/questing and all of asudden you get these prompts about attacks coming in, you look around and see "rifts" opening up from the sky(think of these like champs in UO) You run over to them and it will ask if you want to join the group. Then you cycle through a few levels of monsters, kill the boss. end. And its happened a TON. Its alot of fun, and really beautiful.

You use the shards you get to buy world event items from a special vendor(havent found him yet)

Its just very smooth, and a beautiful game. I was always turned off by the graphics of other games(though I love UO CC...go figure) and the game play. But im really enjoying RIFT, and even reading the quests. Though I dont read them all the time.

I'll say this. I've played UO since 97. I've tried every other game, and not truly enjoyed any of them. I am enjoying RIFT. ALOT.

I've closed 3 of my UO accounts and will be closing 2 more once I move stuff I want to keep into banks/houses of the 2 that I'll keep open. If im still this entertained a month from now I'll be going down to 1 UO account active.

Its that fun Syrus. And its almost bittersweet for me to say that I even comprehended, let alone went through with closing UO accounts for another game.

Next time I hear about trial give aways I'll grab one up and shoot you the code. Its really great. Only downside is trial accounts have a level 15 cap, and I believe you can't enter the first big Dungeon/Instance until level 16. I'm having fun nonetheless.

~Hungry

P

Pauldarian

HAHAHA, ok now I got it.

Next time I hear about trial give aways I'll grab one up and shoot you the code. Its really great. Only downside is trial accounts have a level 15 cap, and I believe you can't enter the first big Dungeon/Instance until level 16. I'm having fun nonetheless.

~Hungry
Yeah the trial caps isn't fun BUT

No matter what faction you pick you can do two dungeons strating at level 12

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah the trial caps isn't fun BUT

No matter what faction you pick you can do two dungeons strating at level 12
What dungeons at 12 Paul? I went ahead and bought the Collector's Edition tonight(Actually got two. FLIPPIN STEAM!! :fight: bought from them but they have no codes. So went ahead and bought from TRION. (why i didnt go TRION first I have no Idea))

First dungeon i've encountered is Iron Tomb(Defiance) and its definitely a 18+ dungeon.

We went in with me 17, a 22, a couple 19's and an 18. Wiped probobly 5-7 times over the course of a couple hours. Never did finish. Everyone gave up :(

P

Pauldarian

Realm of teh Fae you can hit at level 12 it's on the Guardian side but a clerver rogue should get there okay

jtw1984

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rift overall is WAY better than UO.

However, UO pvp is still better than Rifts. See my other post on this forum regarding pvp.

F

Frozentear

I have some referrals still if anyone want to try it out.

Is way different but still fun, I have been there since beta but thinking after years on wow(3 years), Aion (1 year), and Rift since beta time for me to get off the hamster wheel I am worn out.

K

KinG DaviD

I started UO back in 1998. been looking for another game for the past few years...i been waiting for Star Wars Old Republic for a couple years...and went out and paid the $100 for collector set and some game time....so far...i have been playing free UO servers for the past month and zero old republic. not sure if its a comfort level thing. I have seen rift out there...at walmart...and seeing the price drop from $59 to $9.95 in the course of like 6 mos has kind amade me feel like it could be a dissapointment. but reading this thread has made me feel like...hey... maybe there is something here. i guess for $10 its worth a shot....havent been real pleased with old republic so far...but im a log in and try and get the rest of my game time worth before i call it quits.