• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Any plans to improve animations?

Raagnar

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I know this is indie, I know this is pre-alpha, so forgive me for the question as I know not to expect the world. I have worked for several software companies over the course of the last decade, including a game one. However, one thing that has always been my pet peeve are animations. I can look beyond terrible graphics, and for the record I think these are mediocre not terrible, as long as they animate naturally. I was an artist for the most of my life. I started oil painting when I was 6 years old, and progressed from there to become a professional artist before I changed my careers. So to me unnatural movement is jarring and breaks immersion. I know how early this game is, I am quite frankly shocked with how complete it is given its stage in production. But my question is, are there any plans to improve player character and npc rigging and animations?

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Given the necessary funding, we'll continue to iterate on and improve the character artwork, yep! A lot of the issues in the current system are technical rather than artistic, for instance getting the legs to map up to the speed of the avatar, or fixing issues where attack animations interrupt each other. We're also just improving technique as we figure out more about what the game is about. We've redone the character artwork entirely four times so far, and I'd expect one or two more revisions before all is said and done. But I can't promise any particular quality level -- I honestly don't know exactly where we'll end up.

Raagnar

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Ahh thank you for the reply. Yeah it was the running animation more than anything I've seen thus far that seems a little disjointed. Like the gate is wrong, and on the model the hips joints are a little too far apart causing the gap between thighs and knees to seem too far apart when running.