• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Any interesting templates?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I have just recently returned and am getting bored already. I have the typical tamer, sampire, 4xbard, mystic mage, t-hunter, fisherman, etc. I have an unused character slot and am looking for something different. Please don't post templates full of worthless skills like a herding, beggar, that camps with item id and taste id etc. Anyone have anything different or interesting to try?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Several things come to mind unless tried already.
A pure Paladin specialized for Doom Gauntlet, speak to Red Comet at GL.
A hybrid Archer-Tamer.
An ABC archer.
For PvP like experience, a Thief-Ninja in Siege or even prodo, if you have the nards for it. (I personally do not, and if I made a thief I would give stuff back that I would steal).
A non-PK pvper hybrid type, just for fun of playing against a human opponent. You will likely need to be in a nice PVP guild, and preferably ATL for this. Super challenge and likely expensive, possibly highly addictive. If you have a Shard Shield you could move him to ATL.
Many different other possibilities including artisan types Cooks, Crafters s.:)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Chiv/Bard/archer with 2 vollems has always been a good template, especially since you need 0 taming. Craft appropriate slayer weapons and you wont really need Chivalry. You'll be surprised what 2 bonded vollems can do with bard masteries running against a disco'd enemy.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Chiv/Bard/archer with 2 vollems has always been a good template, especially since you need 0 taming. Craft appropriate slayer weapons and you wont really need Chivalry. You'll be surprised what 2 bonded vollems can do with bard masteries running against a disco'd enemy.
What is your template? Sounds interesting!

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
problem with that is vollems no longer spawn as 2 slot pets, so these days you'll only have 1 vollem out unless you can find an old one that's still 2 slots :-/

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
problem with that is vollems no longer spawn as 2 slot pets, so these days you'll only have 1 vollem out unless you can find an old one that's still 2 slots :-/
Figures lol

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Love my stealth herder with taming.... Stealth around in llama form and check out what I want to tame... When I find a good one I herd it to a quiet place to tame.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Side question of interest-two questions really.
I have a very old vollem crystal, not opened yet. Will it spawn a 2 slot one? I understand that now if you get a crystal it will spawn a 3-slot one.
Other question of interest is: Do these have a pack instinct as 2 vollems 2 slot each?
Thanks..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Love my stealth herder with taming.... Stealth around in llama form and check out what I want to tame... When I find a good one I herd it to a quiet place to tame.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
I suspect he does not want a tamer since he already has one. But, the stealth part would be pretty interesting in a variety other temps, including PVP that I also suspect he is not too interested in. But the bard Archer Chiv I agree would be pretty cool to try, even with one vollem, even at 3 slots.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yes, I have a herding stealth tamer. I use to use it for greater and cu taming.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have a very old vollem crystal, not opened yet. Will it spawn a 2 slot one? I understand that now if you get a crystal it will spawn a 3-slot one.
Other question of interest is: Do these have a pack instinct as 2 vollems 2 slot each?
Thanks..
If you open a crystal now (no matter how old it is), since opening it is essentially spawning the animal, it will spawn as 3 slots.

There are lots of people out there with 2 slot vollems still. And remember nontamers can partially train them and still control them, so you can add things like discord or armor pierce on one.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks..
just spawn the vollem and see what happens. could even copy to test center and see what happens. worst case scenario you'll have a 3 slot vollem.
The old crystals I used all had 3 slot vollems, so my guess would be that they're created when spawned, not when the crystal is created.
You could try and buy an old 2-slot one from players though.

pack instict: vollems are really nightmares and I never heard nightmares using pack instict, so my guess would be they don't either.

edit: I see Khaelor beat me to it ;-)

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Since you dont have any ranged dexer templates you should definitely give an archer variant a try. The bard archer with the vollems sounds really cool to me, but if 3 slot is going to make that difficult a disco archer can still do very good damage without pets.

You already have experience with bard skills, so you can imagine the damage scrolling on the screen using an elemental bow with double strike against a disco'd opponent while running tribulation. HML for the upkeep costs. Repeaters dont stack a lot of damage but also dont need much stamina to run at 1.25. Id probably put on a little bushido and use a yumi with double shot, or even a composite for AI. Either way you go your gonna see a lot of numbers on the screen!

If you did manage to get even 1 2 slot vollem you could roll a garg and a 3 slot as the second pet.

Speaking of gargs and ranged attacks, the whammy thrower is also a very good, versatile template with great damage potential.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have just recently returned and am getting bored already. I have the typical tamer, sampire, 4xbard, mystic mage, t-hunter, fisherman, etc. I have an unused character slot and am looking for something different. Please don't post templates full of worthless skills like a herding, beggar, that camps with item id and taste id etc. Anyone have anything different or interesting to try?
A wammy might be an interesting variant that I don't see in your list. Another option would be to invest in soulstones and add variants to your current templates. For example... adding spellweaving as an option for your Tamer and Mystic would add some variety to either of them without any real lose (stone off Vet and add Spellweaving, then swap as needed). This can utilize the extra character slot for training since they train skills much faster at low skill point totals.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You can abandon thy possessions and come join me on Siege. We are the wiliest band of misfits you will ever come across. We have more fun than anyone else, hands down. There is always time for drinking, merriment, and at least partial nudity!

Last edited:

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
A wammy might be an interesting variant that I don't see in your list.
Do you have a good template by chance?

You already have experience with bard skills, so you can imagine the damage scrolling on the screen using an elemental bow with double strike against a disco'd opponent while running tribulation. HML for the upkeep costs. Repeaters dont stack a lot of damage but also dont need much stamina to run at 1.25. Id probably put on a little bushido and use a yumi with double shot, or even a composite for AI. Either way you go your gonna see a lot of numbers on the screen!
This sounds good, do you have a good template to check out?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you have a good template by chance?

This sounds good, do you have a good template to check out?
I like a thrower whammy:

120 Throwing
120 Tactics
120 Bushido
115 Anatomy
100 Spirit Speak
60 Necromancy
85 Chivalry

Of course there are lots of variants out there. Kinda like a sampire, but uses curse weapon and wraith form instead of vamp form.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I like that, never made a thrower. Would you recommend gargoyle or does race not really matter? Hmm maybe only garg can be a thrower? I don't really remember.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like that, never made a thrower. Would you recommend gargoyle or does race not really matter? Hmm maybe only garg can be a thrower? I don't really remember.
Yes, only gargoyle can be throwers.

I like this because it also doubles as a great support character (as opposed to the tank) and can stand at range spamming AI without ever running out of arrows. You can also train a melee skill and swap out for when range attacks don’t make sense.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
While I personally prefer archery, throwers are a lot of fun and a little more dynamic playstyle-wise. You'll get the hang of finding the 'sweet spot' and kiting mobs from that range will become second nature.

Also with the thrower, you'll be sacrificing a few choices for alternate weapons in favor of what is essentially a blacksmith crafted composite bow, along with the perks of blacksmithy over fletching. Cheaper (generally) runics, Much easier to enhance to 100% elemental, and the benefits of 120 (not to mention ASH) vs 100 skill for those enhancements and repairs. Gargs also get a racial +5% to hci which I believe can go over the 45% cap.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I like a thrower whammy:

120 Throwing
120 Tactics
120 Bushido
115 Anatomy
100 Spirit Speak
60 Necromancy
85 Chivalry

Of course there are lots of variants out there. Kinda like a sampire, but uses curse weapon and wraith form instead of vamp form.
Do you need to keep high karma for the chiv?

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
While I already have a full caster and full warrior character (in many variants using a ton of soul stones), I made a hybrid caster-warrior template:

A mystic wraith thrower (PVM)

It might not be the most efficient template, but as I simply got bored playing warrior/sampire or mage/caster templates, I made this true hybrid.

Skills:
Spirit speak 60
Necromancy 60
Throwing 120
Tactics 120
Mysticism 120
Focus 120
Anatomy 120
TOTAL 720

Some pros:
Can cast wraith form, curse weapon, evil omen and corpse skin 100% at 60 necro
Can often leech enough mana back, either with weapon or spell, at 60 spirit speak (even without HML on weapon) to chain AI or recast
Uses the best high-damage weapon in game (soul glaive, which got AI)
Uses the best summon in game (RC) to tank
Reaches max damage modifier cap with 18 lesser slayer soul glaives (all spell channelling or cast enchant)
Reaches max damage increase cap (120 anatomy/tactics)
Uses mysticism spells with super slayer spellbooks for area of effect damage (nether blast, nether cyclone, hail storm)
Uses healing stone for mini heals and emergency cures and heals
Uses curse weapon for big or constant heals
Can debuff (and cure) with cleansing winds
Can leech through most poison with curse weapon
Recalls in wraith form for transportation (100% success chances)
Uses a spell-channelling dispel weapon to dispel (can alternatively use the spell enchant to add "hit spell dispel" to equipped soul glaive)
Can also equip melee weapon with 100% HML/HLL (soul glaives are capped at 50%) in combination with the mystic weapon mastery (cannot do weapon specials though)
Can make any weapon spell channelling with enchant (provided it does not have a hit spell mod already)
Uses mass sleep instead of invisibility to de-aggro mobs
Low maintenance costs (100% LRC suit, no arrows or bandaids ever needed, not much repair needed as a ranged fighter)
Does not rely on chivalry and can therefore drop karma
Does not need elemental damage weapons as it relies on chaining AI and area of effect (mostly chaos) spells
Makes efficient use of follower slots and form on foot (wraith form and RC at 5 follower slots)

Some cons:
Difficult to reach the 1.25 swing speed cap, I am at about 1.75 and find this is enough
Does not do well in settings with lots of minor spawn (e.g. champs) due to no whirlwind (the area of effect weapon for throwing just sucks and killing massive waves of small mobs with area of effect damage spells takes forever)
Does not do well on mobs without lesser slayer vulnerability
Does not do well on mobs with low or no mana
Does not get special move mana reduction from certain skill combos (bushido, parrying, etc.)
Have to constantly cast curse weapon and enchant (if no spell channeling weapon)
Is on foot and thus very slow. Can reach mount speed with gargoyle racial ability flying, but then cannot mana leech enough to chain AI
High insurance costs if you decide to always carry all 18 lesser slayers soul glaives in your bag
High imbuing costs if you decide to get all 18 lesser slayers
Cannot combine RC (causing physicals damage) and corpse skin (raising physical resist)

As mentioned above, my mage/caster or sampire/paladin templates outperform this template, but just in case you get bored to always play minor variants of existing templates: this one makes use of a lot of spells, skill combos (no bushido, no chivalry), items (healing stone) and masteries you generally do not use on a warrior.

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you need to keep high karma for the chiv?
Yes, I generally keep higher karma and never seem to have too much trouble with it staying up. I do enough encounters where I don't have to use curse weapon that I don't find casting necro spells when I need them to be a drag on karma.

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Archer/Tamer is my new favorite template.

I run a full set of slayer Yumis with 120 Chiv and use a beetle for Runic Corruption.

I also use 100 hiding for anything solo or soul stone on anatomy for group content.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I second the wraith thrower. I love mine! I built custom soul glavies for each super slayer. He is my default PvM toon and can also defend himself against a champ spawn raid (when not mobility limited in wraith form).

120 Throwing
120 Anatomy
120 Healing
100 Tactics
95 Chivalry
80 Bushido
60 Spirit Speak
40 Necromancy

Protection, wraith form, assassin guild town bonus, +15 skill bonus. I run with 180+ stamina and 45 SSI total. Seems the sweet spot to me, although if you could get to 210 stamina and 55 SSI you could theoretically throw at 1.25s. IMO, achieving that forces me to compromise too many useful suit mods. Nonetheless, it is a great build. I personally love healing. Extra versatility with curse weapon and healing to survive while nearly endless armor ignores in wraith form.