• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Any Good Mage/Warrior Templates for PvM?

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
also a few questions:

with a very slow heavy hitting weapon can you cast spells inbetween ticks?
if you have a mage weapon-20 with anatomy/eval equalling 220 do you still have 120 melee defense skill?

Any help would be appreciated, i was thinking of something like

120 Magery
120 Eval
100 Anatomy
120 Parry
120 Med
And then i'm lost really, to many things in my mind trying to make it viable, but i would like to know that it is possible.

any help appreciated!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Most Mage/Warrior type templates have converted over to Mysticism (either as Mystic/Warrior or Mystic/Mage) but it's still a viable template for hunting, as opposed to trying to solo huge things.

I think that the Mage weapon defensive property takes affect, because if I remember correctly, the Eval/Anatomy defense only kicks in when you are holding a spellbook (and I'm not sure if it works if you have a shield, either - one of the issues players have been complaining about is that the bracers of alchemical devastation from the Exodus arc and subsequent peerless don't trigger if you use a shield, and the devs stated it's by design - why it would be by design boggles the mind).

I'm not sure about the Magery casting between ticks (of course the weapon would have to be Spell Channeling), but I know the combat casters (Chivalry, Bushido, Ninjitsu) seem able to.

Do note that special moves don't work with Mage Weapon, only with real skill and tactics.

If you want to make your template work, I would suggest
120 Magery
120 Eval
100 Anatomy
120 Parry
Split the rest up between Mysticism & Focus, or Chivalry, Bushido and Focus

Use lots of Mana Regeneration equipment, and a weapon with Mana Leech and/or mana drain, instead of using Meditation.

OF course, I like odd templates, so someone else could probably give you much better advice.

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most Mage/Warrior type templates have converted over to Mysticism (either as Mystic/Warrior or Mystic/Mage) but it's still a viable template for hunting, as opposed to trying to solo huge things.
Why is Mysticism preffered over Chiv?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can still use small amounts of chiv, but the two main advantages to Mysticism

1. A big honking summons to tank for you.
2. A healing spell that does all the effects of Close Wounds, Cleanse by Fire AND Remove curse, all at once.

Personally, if the OP were working on a Weapon skill build with mage-like spellcasting, instead of a Mage weapon one, I would have recommended

120 Weapon
120 Mysticism
100 Parry or Anatomy (depending if a ranged or melee template)
100 Tactics
120 Focus
140 points split between Chivalry & Bushido.

as the 700 point build, with any jewelry skillpoints and year bonus skillcap room used to raise those skills 100 and lower higher.

Last edited:

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can still use small amounts of chiv, but the two main advantages to Mysticism

1. A big honking summons to tank for you.
2. A healing spell that does all the effects of Close Wounds, Cleanse by Fire AND Remove curse, all at once.

Personally, if the OP were working on a Weapon skill build with mage-like spellcasting, instead of a Mage weapon one, I would have recommended

120 Weapon
120 Mysticism
100 Parry or Anatomy (depending if a ranged or melee template)
100 Tactics
120 Focus
140 points split between Chivalry & Bushido.

as the 700 point build, with any jewelry skillpoints and year bonus skillcap room used to raise those skills 100 and lower higher.

IMO this template is way more effective than the mage weap one. An point that hasn't been mentioned is that using a mage weap with 0 weap skill doesn't allow you to use the weapon special moves. I don't know if this applies also to the civ and bushi abilities related to the weap or not (enemy of one and so on)

I would just change this a little bit and go full 120 chiv or 120 bushido without splitting and use the remaining points to go 120 tactics (120 anat also with a 720 cap).
There are 3 reasons for that :
Between the weap special moves, the mystic spells and the chiv or bush abilities I would already be at the max of what my brain can manage to use at the same time.
with no med, even 120 focus, mana leech on the weap and as much LMC and MR as possible I'm afraid I wouldn't have enough mana anyway to use chiv and bushi at the same time than mysticism.
Even if I was I would still prefer being able to save some slots for other improvements on my suit or weap and for that not having to use as many just for mana regen.

Other thoughts :

With a ranged weap I think the best combo would be parry over anat and bushido as extra skill as they go very well together(as long as you don't use a shield).

But the easiest would probably be to use archery/throwing with anatomy and chiv.
With mysticism you'll use the RC summon a lot, if he's tanking the most complementary toon would be one with ranged attack I think. Also bushido to be used at fullest efficiency relies a lot on the fact to honor your opponent, and with the RC it'll be difficult as he can't be controlled and chances are he'llhave already attacked the mob before you have a chance to do so. And anyway, even without RC I find it easier to honor on a melee toon than a ranged one.

But then that's mainly because of my playstyle and could be totally different for you.