• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Any chance for somone to get an old account unbanned?

Fat Midnight

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA seams to be alot more lenient then they used to be about abusive language, and.... well everything.

A friend of mine had one of his accounts banned in mid 2000 over the following exchange with a thief that we had frequent run ins with:

Thief: (beep) you cracker I got your (beep) (beep)
Friend: Your a black ass
Thief: You racist (beep) (beep) (beep)(beep) (beep)(beep) (beep)

well about 10 mins later my friend got pulled to jail and banned. I witnessed the entire thing. Saw the thief around for a few months after that.

Is there any chance a 10+ year old ban could be reexamined?

lankdogg03

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would doubt it at this point so long after, but I guess it's worth a shot. Years ago you got banned for things that would be considered weak by today's standards. I see very racist and vulgar things in general chat on a nightly basis that nobody ever seems to get banned for. The bad thing is that the insults are so unclever they should be banned just for that.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really doubt anyone has a chance to unban an account. Doesn't mean you can't try though by calling EA.

F

Fayled Dhreams

Answer

:thumbdown: not likely ...

Getting tired of your "friend" watching you play >over your shoulder<?

:lol:

P

PCByproduct

EA seams to be alot more lenient then they used to be about abusive language, and.... well everything.

A friend of mine had one of his accounts banned in mid 2000 over the following exchange with a thief that we had frequent run ins with:

Thief: (beep) you cracker I got your (beep) (beep)
Friend: Your a black ass
Thief: You racist (beep) (beep) (beep)(beep) (beep)(beep) (beep)

well about 10 mins later my friend got pulled to jail and banned. I witnessed the entire thing. Saw the thief around for a few months after that.

Is there any chance a 10+ year old ban could be reexamined?
Let me know if it works! I got banned once for having a characters name that was generated from the myuo.com pages (back in the day...). I miss "MyUO forums"!! Stratics just gobbled them up!!

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You say 10 year account, Will it have aged at all whilst banned? I'd have thought not.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry that account is perma gone. Have tried to get a deciesed friends account back for last few years - his son was mad and got on uo without permission and did a big no no. GM's were fast and baned the account. I had tried the whole time he was still with us to get it active but to no avail. Finally I got into it with Billing and they got me Internal afairs.
Once an account has been banned for such reasons, its never gunna be able to be rezed by anyone. Not even Cal_Mythic can do it even if he wanted to they said.

Very sorry for the loss, we must remember our maners and be polite no matter how bad we want to respond to the banter tossed at us.

P

PCByproduct

No. It only counts for amount of payed time. A banned account is an inactive account and thus does not age.
I've had dozens of accounts that, while inactive, aged 10 years. I have screenshots of being [Young] on an ethy with unclaimed vet rewards. *shrugs*

Maybe it's changed for new accounts...

lankdogg03

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have an account that I just recently reopened that had been inactive since 2001 and it was still only 3 months old. Not sure how you have accounts that aged while they were inactive. My main account also did not aged at the different times that I have had it inactive. It's not a new account thing.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No. It only counts for amount of payed time. A banned account is an inactive account and thus does not age.
I've had dozens of accounts that, while inactive, aged 10 years. I have screenshots of being [Young] on an ethy with unclaimed vet rewards. *shrugs*

Doubt it. Nothing at all to do with new accounts. I've had an account for around 2000, that's been inactive and active over the past 11 years, and guess what? It's nowhere close to 11 years because it hasn't been active for all those years. No, there's nothing wrong with the dates because I see it as it ages month to month.

Plus, a character with young status doesn't mean anything on an old account.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wut?

A 13 year old account that has Young status doesn't mean anything? lol...
Nope. I had a character that I found a while back on some shard that still had young status.

...granted it may be a bug, but it is possible. Regardless, disbelieve your claim about inactive accounts aging.

LiquidSolidity

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You want "your friend's" account unbanned even though he used a racist slur against another player? I personally hope they never reopen that account. It would be like saying that this sort of behaviour is ok. I'd be enbarrased even asking this sort of question on this forum.

P

PCByproduct

Nope. I had a character that I found a while back on some shard that still had young status.

...granted it may be a bug, but it is possible. Regardless, disbelieve your claim about inactive accounts aging.
Apparently, only Grandfathered accts aged while inactive...so post 2k acct like yours wouldn't have aged... 97-99 would have....but regardless, I had a dozen such accts that I farmed for rewards. :)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Apparently, only Grandfathered accts aged while inactive...so post 2k acct like yours wouldn't have aged... 97-99 would have....but regardless, I had a dozen such accts that I farmed for rewards. :)
What grants 97-99 accounts the title of grandfathered?

Fat Midnight

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You want "your friend's" account unbanned even though he used a racist slur against another player? I personally hope they never reopen that account. It would be like saying that this sort of behaviour is ok. I'd be enbarrased even asking this sort of question on this forum.
"Black ass" is a racial slur? And you do not consider a black char calling a white char a "cracker" racist?

You already accept double standards but lrn2spell.

And yes it was a friends account.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have an account from 99 that does not age when deactivated. This guy is just talking out of his ass. Lets move on.
Figured as much. Was just curious what is considered a grandfathered account.

Back to topic though. Give them a call and see if you can talk them to unbanning it.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This doesn't mean the account aged while inactive. Merely that the character didn't.

Three years into a second account we started at AoS I asked my husband if I could finish training the fisherman he'd started. I logged the character on to find it still had a [young] tag yet the account had been paid for every month since it was started.

PCByproduct you seem to be peppering these boards with misinformation. May I ask you to check your facts before leading people astray and sending people off on wild goose chases?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I got permabanned back in the MyUO days, and after some creative negotiation with someone at EA ended up getting unbanned six or seven months later.

Sucks about losing that amount of account age though :(

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IIRC, the official Account Transfer Service allows the sale of banned accounts, with all marks removed and the account reactivated in the process. However, it costs money paid to EA, and they do make some effort to make sure that it isn't simply being laundered and given back to the original owner.

The question is, do they even offer that service anymore?

C

canary

It was banned for a reason, pretty simple to just start a new account. I mean, that was 10 years ago... really?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What grants 97-99 accounts the title of grandfathered?
I don't know what granted them the "grandfathered" status, but yes its true. I have one account that was started in 97 but it was inactive from 2000 to i think 2004. When i reactivated this account i had a bunch of rewards that had built up. However, it went unpaid again from i think 2005-2007, which it did not get time for. So the "grandfathered" status seems to only be good for the first reactivation.

That being said, ive heard from people numerous times, and seen on the boards here as well, that in more recent years any account that goes inactive for more than 5 years is deleted. This seems to be the case post 2004 ish. So, even if the account in question were to be "unbanned" i doubt that it is still saved anywhere.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know what granted them the "grandfathered" status, but yes its true. I have one account that was started in 97 but it was inactive from 2000 to i think 2004. When i reactivated this account i had a bunch of rewards that had built up. However, it went unpaid again from i think 2005-2007, which it did not get time for. So the "grandfathered" status seems to only be good for the first reactivation.

That being said, ive heard from people numerous times, and seen on the boards here as well, that in more recent years any account that goes inactive for more than 5 years is deleted. This seems to be the case post 2004 ish. So, even if the account in question were to be "unbanned" i doubt that it is still saved anywhere.
Sounds like your account got the credited time from 97 to 2000, unless it showed 7 years when you brought it up again.

LiquidSolidity

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Black ass" is a racial slur? And you do not consider a black char calling a white char a "cracker" racist?

You already accept double standards but lrn2spell.

And yes it was a friends account.
You should rewrite this post so it makes sense.

MrMightySmith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While exploiting accounts and duping accounts should stay permently banned. Why not let these people pay a "fine" to get their accounts back. Make it a bit large....... I have my orginal account banned and even though there really is not that much valuable stuff on it id definitely regret being a moron and would pay some serious coin to have it back. I realise this will never happen but why not? And like I said.... Exploits based account bans are not eligible.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you created an Account prior to UO:Ren 97-99 but closed it before it went live 2000, when You reopen the account for the first time(after being closed) you will get credit for the time that one time only. If the account should go inactive again you will not get credit for account age. Has to do with the Vet reward code and when they put in vet rewards. It is a system that made sure that when Vet rewards went live Older accounts would not have to wait another 2-3 years to get what they already deserved.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Sounds like your account got the credited time from 97 to 2000, unless it showed 7 years when you brought it up again.
yeah it got the 7 years, so 3-4 years when i was not playing it.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Had to have more than just that one thing to get a perma ban.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^^^Correct^^^
Young status means nothing. I have a 7 year old account with young status. I use it to hold a house.

perhaps if someone were to "buy " the account and pay the transfer fee....
I'm sure EA wouldn't allow that. That's a pretty big loophole to easily get accounts unbanned. I'm sure there's something in the fine print that says accounts must be in good standing in order to transfer.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
^^^Correct^^^
Young status means nothing. I have a 7 year old account with young status. I use it to hold a house.

perhaps if someone were to "buy " the account and pay the transfer fee....
I'm sure EA wouldn't allow that. That's a pretty big loophole to easily get accounts unbanned. I'm sure there's something in the fine print that says accounts must be in good standing in order to transfer.
Can I transfer my account access to a player who has been banned from Electronic Arts?

No. Both the former player and the new player must be considered “in good standing” by Electronic Arts. This means that neither player involved in the transaction may have been banned from Electronic Arts. Additionally, you should keep in mind that allowing a member whose account has been terminated (or “banned”) to access the service through your account is a direct violation of the Terms of Service Agreement.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yet, I know (second or 3rd hand) of multiple occasions where the account transfer service was used to sell and reactivate banned accounts for a new owner, that came up in conversations on Stratics. Granted, the accounts were wiped clean when the people got them.

What I suspect is that many of the ancient "banned" accounts got an amnesty accidentally or intentionally, during upgrades of the account server. Others probably were not perma-banned, but the original owners thought that they were.

The Transfer service DOES clear out all marks on the account that went to the previous owner, after all. It would be a simple mistake on the EA end to accidentally clear a ban that way, and not notice - especially with CS types that have no inkling of what UO is.