• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Hiding] Any advice

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
On setting a Macro for using a egg bomb(i still call it a smoke bomb n my head )

also i used to steal from NPCs in Fel to gain in stealing it seems no one has anything in their packs how should i gain in stealing??

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get a pack horse and load it with items with weights relative to your skill. You may have to have it guard you if you do it in town so you dont get guard whacked.. For smokebombs make a uo assist macro to use item type. Record macro, after u record using a smoke bomb right click on the use item line of the macro and click convert to use item type. After you finsish making the macro assign it to a key of your choice. If you use the EC i have no idea as i dont use it.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On setting a Macro for using a egg bomb(i still call it a smoke bomb n my head )

also i used to steal from NPCs in Fel to gain in stealing it seems no one has anything in their packs how should i gain in stealing??
dukarlo is right, you'll take a stack of items at least twelve stones and put it in a pack horse on a guilded character. You can also do this in Felucca with an unguilded character but you will go grey and risk gwhack inside GZ. I use 12 empty bottles. Then you'll follow this chart:

Skill | Weight
30 - 40 | 3 stones
40 - 50 | 4 stones
50 - 60 | 5 stones
60 - 70 | 6 stones
70 - 80 | 7 stones
80 - 90 | 8 stones
90 - 100 | 9 stones
100 - 110 | 10 stones
110 - 120 | 11 stones

So for example, if you're at 35 skill, you would separate three bottles from the stack of twelve in your pack horses pack and steal them from the horse. Then, you take the bottles you have stolen, whether you failed, stole some of them, or stole all of them, and place them back into the ORIGINAL stack of 12 bottles. This will clear a timer on the bottles and allow you to gain from them again. Rinse and repeat. Once you hit 40 skill, you steal four bottles, so on and so forth.

I would note that you really don't need to max stealing as long as you're willing to use the Shadow Dancer Leggings and the Burglar's Bandana. Especially if you aim at all to be a PvP thief.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Max stealing has multiple benefits. If you steal from players your chance of going unnoticed will improve and in town that can mean not getting guard whacked. Line of sight also helps in getting noticed or not. Even if in the line of an npc' s sight the guards can be called but stealing skill is definitely part of the dice roll. Also the heavier an item the more chance you will fail and or go grey. Knowledge of line of sight and skill level are important. Also some of the heavier spaening stealables will be easier to nab at 120. There are a lot of good thief skill items in the game that are great to build a suit around. A snatch and grab thief definitely benefits from plus skill item, defense chance increase, hit point increase, and hit point regeneration. Think outside the box as far as mods on gear go. Lmc MR and many mods for other classes arent necessarily what's best for a true thief. If your playing a snatch and grab thief the idea is to be able to be very sneaky as well as to be able to survive.

My template is as follows.
120 wrestle
120 stealing
100 snoop
100 hide
120 stealth
120 ninja
100 detect
60 necro
I am human for jack of all trades tracking
45 dci
2/4 casting
137 hp
18 hp regen

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Max stealing has multiple benefits. If you steal from players your chance of going unnoticed will improve and in town that can mean not getting guard whacked. Line of sight also helps in getting noticed or not.
Right, but I meant more like.. you can have stealing at 90 and use items to make up the difference to 120.

Temp I run for my pvp thief:

100 Ninjitsu (+20 from with ring and bracelet) (wolf form and shadow jump)
100 Hiding
90 Snooping (+10 from Burglar's Bandana)
90 Stealing (+10 from bandana, +20 from shadow dancers)
60 Stealth (+10 from stealth epaulets, +10 from Burglar's Bandana, +20 from Shadow Dancer Leggings, +20 from Royal Guard Investigator)
60 Necro (wraith form)

So in the end it ends up:

120 Ninja
120 Stealing
120 Stealth
100 Hiding
100 Snooping
60 Necro

That leaves 220 skill points open for swapping but since I champ thief a lot I usually keep tracking and detect hidden in there, but can also sub in a weapon skill or wrestling for added defense.

Suit is very basic minus artifacts. All just imbued pieces for max resists, 2/6 casting with mana increase and regen, and HP increase. Suit can be done without artifacts but you narrow your options with swapping skills that way. Also, I don't always run 120 stealth as 100 does me just fine. Harder to be passively revealed with 120 stealth though, I believe.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another thing I've found invaluable in this era of passive detect is the ninjitsu mastery. Shadow spell is awesome. I never get passively revealed when going in for the snoop using it.

As far as real skill goes I wouldn't go below 90 at least in ninja and stealth because I'm under the assumption mastery effectiveness or at least the ability to use one is effected by real skill.

Last edited: