• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Another thread about compromised CC info

EDA_GL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously?
I have had my same CC info attached for nearly a decade and NOW (1/12/2015) something gives?
Some slightly irradiated individual is now playing Fifa or w/e cost 39.75 from EA/JPY.
For anyone else having a similar issue....
1-650-628-1500 is a phone number to EA.
8-9 M-F pacific time.

*Updated* 1/17/2016

Here is the story I got regarding my issue.
EA has been aware of an issue in their security since mid-2014 yet has not posted anything public regarding this issue. I suggested that they claim ownership of it; it’s their issue, and blast an e-mail to their clients. I even made mention of the Home Depot issue and how they claimed it as their error.

Apparently there is some type of coin/currency in Fifa 2015.
There is a bot/script/hack or something of that nature that somehow gets CC info from Origin.com and then tries to purchase Fifa 2015 (the game may vary, but for me it was Fifa 2015). This bot will try all CC that you have on file. I had an ooooooold card still on file that it tried 3 times, and then it tried 2 times on my active card.

What was told to me is that once the attempt to pay for Fifa 2015 the account becomes active. When active they log in, get the coin or in-game currency and then sell it to get real cash. Then the Fifa account is left to 'die'. The analogy to me was strip mining.

Here are the steps that I took when I saw this happening to me.

Called the number on the back of my card, blocked my card till the next day.
Started a fraud claim. Pin pointed what charges I did not authorize.
Contacted EA/Origin. Explained what was happening.
My bank canceled that card, issued a new one.

*****Here is the biggy*****
On the Origin site, there is an option to set a security 'passcode' that can be emailed or texted to you. This passcode is needed to finalize a purchase on their website.

At the very least Origin/EA should blast an email telling clients about this feature. I had no idea this existed till the customer service guy told me about it.

The phone number provided in this post works, gets you to a call center. The call center gets you put in a queue for a return call. It’s the only/quickest way to get a LIVE body. The callback from them may take a while, so be patient. Remember it’s not their fault!

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For the love of the game, they charge because they care. This is around for a while now, yet no official statement, because they care.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If it's not too much trouble - is there a definitive description of how best to pay for UO now? I'm one of those insanely scatterbrained people (I mean, VERY bad) so if a bill isn't auto paid eventually I'm going to forget about it. I haven't kept up with the new housing decay timer thing so I'd hate to forget to pay and lose my houses!

If I remove my credit card do I get reminders of when I need to apply game time codes or will I have to remember to do this myself for each account? Do you get email notified before the time runs out or after, or.. not at all? Are people still having problems using the EA store? Is it too late to remove my card if the payment database has been compromised i.e. should I cancel the card now before I get hit?

Sorry for such newb questions, but this is disturbing me greatly. Also, since I'm assuming putting your card into EA's storefront is probably not secure either, is there a better place/way to buy codes? Is there a way to use a bill paying service to pay for a subscription? I really want to remove my payment method but I'm afraid of losing my grandfathered houses because my brain doesn't work right. ;)

Thanks for any help you can give me!

-P.E.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I remove my credit card do I get reminders of when I need to apply game time codes or will I have to remember to do this myself for each account?
I removed all my card details and now just buy gametime codes and apply these instead. Yes I get an email to tell me when it has expired but I also save the dates into my Google calendar so I get a nice notification popup on my phone a few days before to remind me that the accounts need paying.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
*****Here is the biggy*****
On the Origin site, there is an option to set a security 'passcode' that can be emailed or texted to you. This passcode is needed to finalize a purchase on their website.
Thank you for this info! I just set mine up, I had never noticed it before. I routinely check for unauthorized purchases but this makes it a bit more safe, EA definitely needs to spread the word on that with the issues that they are having.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
If it's not too much trouble - is there a definitive description of how best to pay for UO now? I'm one of those insanely scatterbrained people (I mean, VERY bad) so if a bill isn't auto paid eventually I'm going to forget about it. I haven't kept up with the new housing decay timer thing so I'd hate to forget to pay and lose my houses!

If I remove my credit card do I get reminders of when I need to apply game time codes or will I have to remember to do this myself for each account? Do you get email notified before the time runs out or after, or.. not at all? Are people still having problems using the EA store? Is it too late to remove my card if the payment database has been compromised i.e. should I cancel the card now before I get hit?

Sorry for such newb questions, but this is disturbing me greatly. Also, since I'm assuming putting your card into EA's storefront is probably not secure either, is there a better place/way to buy codes? Is there a way to use a bill paying service to pay for a subscription? I really want to remove my payment method but I'm afraid of losing my grandfathered houses because my brain doesn't work right. ;)

Thanks for any help you can give me!

-P.E.
You will only get an e-mail when the account closes, nothing ahead warning you. If you can afford the 6 month game time codes, you save some money and you don't have to worry about it. You can also purchase 3 month codes as well but do not save as much. When you purchase the game time codes, there is a box to store the credit card info, make sure that stays unchecked.

Another thing you can do which I like to is to purchase EA Game cards from Best Buy. I get rewards for the purchase, it doesn't cost you any fees. I buy a $60 card for $60 and get $60 in my EA Wallet which I used to purchase a $59.99 6 month game time token. I get rewards from Best Buy which I use towards new EA Game Time Cards. Just remember not to leave a balance in the wallet or they can still buy the FIFA or whatever it is that they are doing.

As far as remembering, Smart phones have calendars which can notify you and there are desktop calendars as well. Unless you stop playing for months at a time, the worst thing that will happen is that you try and log in and cannot so you add more game time and resub. Just don't miss more than 2 months to be safe on your house in game or it could IDOC. 6 month game time is the way to go, it works out to $9.99 a month which saves you $18 every 6 months. It's not much but every penny counts and you save even more if you have multiple accounts.

Make sure to use the security function that the OP talked about, it takes a couple of minutes of time and can keep you from unauthorized billing no matter how you try and pay for it. :)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep, just got the same exact thing. Went and checked my e-mail today, noticed some wierd e-mail from Origin [email protected] in Chinese, so i went and checked my Origin order list, and it was some fraudulent charge for Fifa 15 for HK$384.35 (which is along the lines of $50.00-60.00 US dollars) on one of my cards associated with my Origin account.
It's already past 9:00 PM Pacific time when i noticed it, and tomorrow is a national holiday, so i'm gonna have hell contacting EA about this fraudulent ********. This is completely, 100% on EA's ass for knowingly having a faulty system. I'm running a fully updated paid antivirus program, and regularly scan.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just happened to me... Really unhappy about it. :/

Multibillion dollar company just can't ****ing be bothered to have a secure site... I honestly don't know if the month or two a year I play UO is worth giving this garbage company a dime of my money.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, just got the same exact thing. Went and checked my e-mail today, noticed some wierd e-mail from Origin [email protected] in Chinese, so i went and checked my Origin order list, and it was some fraudulent charge for Fifa 15 for HK$384.35 (which is along the lines of $50.00-60.00 US dollars) on one of my cards associated with my Origin account.
It's already past 9:00 PM Pacific time when i noticed it, and tomorrow is a national holiday, so i'm gonna have hell contacting EA about this fraudulent ********. This is completely, 100% on EA's ass for knowingly having a faulty system. I'm running a fully updated paid antivirus program, and regularly scan.
Contact your bank today, have them reverse it. It will take a few days to complete that. In the mean time you can force EA to refund it by letting them know you have requested a charge back with your bank/CC. This will get them to refund it slightly faster or they get dinged extra fees for a charge back.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, has it been confirmed by EA that their billing database has been compromised and our card numbers are now obtainable by others? I'm actually nervous even trying to log in to their site if it's not the database itself but the transmission vehicle that's compromised.

I know in some states it's a matter of law that any security breaches must be reported and it doesn't sound like they've done this as the last comment I've found from EA is that "everything is fine, users weren't careful" .. blah blah blah. Some of the states require mandatory identity theft protection and mitigation for their residents (California for example). I see on the FTC's website there's a place to submit a complaint for identity theft, is this an appropriate response?

-P.E.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
EA says they haven't been compromised. I strongly disagree.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did a chat with customer service at the Origin Store and got an EA wallet set up, needed their help because the link to the terms of service you have to agree to doesn't work. You can then buy $20 EA gift ecards at Best Buy & other big retailers websites and add it to the EA wallet to pay EA with. The customer service advisor can wipe your CC info out as well.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ooooh, I like the EA wallet thing. I might do that. Did you just open up an online chat or did you have to phone them?

Thanks for the tip!

-P.E.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, has it been confirmed by EA that their billing database has been compromised and our card numbers are now obtainable by others? I'm actually nervous even trying to log in to their site if it's not the database itself but the transmission vehicle that's compromised.

I know in some states it's a matter of law that any security breaches must be reported and it doesn't sound like they've done this as the last comment I've found from EA is that "everything is fine, users weren't careful" .. blah blah blah. Some of the states require mandatory identity theft protection and mitigation for their residents (California for example). I see on the FTC's website there's a place to submit a complaint for identity theft, is this an appropriate response?

-P.E.
From what I gather they are scripting login attempts. Using an automated program to try every possible known user/pass and store which ones work. The ones that work and have people stupid enough to store payment info are donating FIFA to poor Asian café gamers.

By Federal law you cannot be held responsible for ANY unauthorized charges on a credit card. I'm not sure about debit/atm cards and I assume they all have different policies with false charges at your local banks. You can do giftcards and prepaid cards but if they get hacked then it's basically you against EA in which EA says screw off. A valid credit card offers protection against liability and EA.

I've been doing the same monthly buying of gametime as I always have spending those extra 2min to enter my info in everytime and I've never been hacked cheated or robbed. Common sense people. It works.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ooooh, I like the EA wallet thing. I might do that. Did you just open up an online chat or did you have to phone them?

Thanks for the tip!

-P.E.
There's a contact option for a chat given.

You can do giftcards and prepaid cards but if they get hacked then it's basically you against EA in which EA says screw off. .
I order the ecards to cover what I want, their emailed to me, I put them in the wallet and make my purchase. There will be a few dollars left in the wallet that could be hacked but likely not worth the hackers bother.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went to Gamestop and bought ea gift cards with the Visa Gift cards I bought. All you do is enter the codes into the system and they are added to your EA wallet attached to your origin account...la

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Called that number, still sitting on hold after an hour and a half...
Go to change my security "passcode" for my Origin account, and the security question pops up in Chinese...

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, finally got a hold of someone at Origin, and gotten it straightened out. Thanks for the number, EDA_GL.

EDA_GL

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another option for people using a debit card to pay for UO...
Most, if not all, banks offer a text if more than (ammount here) dollars is used/withdrawn/charged from your account.
Example: 20.00 dollars has been withdrawn from ATM NAME. This is above your requested limit.
I would suggest setting it at 19.99. Ive never seen an atm let you withdraw less than 20.00.
Just a thought.
Glad people are finding this info useful!
EA in need of a PR body?

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have two step verification enabled on my origin account so I get a text whenever someone tries to login to my account. Then I login and change my password.

This just happened the other night. I got a text for login verification with a language that looked like it came from Eastern Europe. Changed my password and all is good for the time being. Luckily I also don't have my CC info stored on the site as I use the PayPal/game time code option.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol, great. EA has locked my Origin account because "We have taken this step as we have detected suspicious activity on your account during on-going standard systems analysis", when i had already resolved the account compromise earlier.

So now, i'm having to call EA once again, and their Customer Support extension is just some recorded message basically telling me that they no longer do Customer Support over the phone, and that i have to go to help.ea.com instead. That website wants me to login to my Origin account in order to contact them, which the entire problem in the first place, is that they locked my Origin account and i can't log into it. Dee dee dee.

Called them again, sat on the phone until it directed me to someone to talk to, so i told the woman that my Origin account was locked and that i couldn't use help.ea.com because of it, so she redirects me to some dude whom i have a hard time understanding what he's saying (probably Indian). I explain my problem to him, he tells me to e-mail [email protected], and says he'll e-mail me with the information i need. Well, i'm not so sure he got my e-mail right, i still haven't received an e-mail from him...

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another option for people using a debit card to pay for UO...
Most, if not all, banks offer a text if more than (ammount here) dollars is used/withdrawn/charged from your account.
Example: 20.00 dollars has been withdrawn from ATM NAME. This is above your requested limit.
I would suggest setting it at 19.99. Ive never seen an atm let you withdraw less than 20.00.
Just a thought.
Glad people are finding this info useful!
EA in need of a PR body?
I hope no one's using a debit card to pay for UO. It's better to use the debit card to buy a game time code. If a debit card has been compromised in any way, most any bank will still treat it as a lost card, and the account holder can be liable for the first $50. Even if you get fully reimbursed, it can take a couple of weeks versus a few days with a credit card.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My Bank won't allow "out of country" charges on my CC. This means they can't charge the FiFa thing on there. Infact my bank doesn't want to do any business with EA at all right now saying that it's been dealing in fraudulent charges for a long time now and often times they have had to file fraud against EA too many times they prefer not to deal with them.

Paypal and Gametime cards is a good way to go. Adding that extra security to being called before transactions are made is also good.

I've never had much problem with paypal however I must warn folk that currently there are scammers in-game wanting to "buy" things from you using Paypal..... this person then gets the item from you in game and then has Paypal reverse the charges claiming he never "got" the item. Seller beware this guy has done it several times. Another reason not to use RL money for in-game stuff that isn't from EA/Origin... I'll be happy when they get something better than the Origin store for selling us stuff for UO.