• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Another Re-newb Q ... Weapons

• Thread starter Jarlaxle_DoUrden
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
J

Jarlaxle_DoUrden

When I last played, weapons had attributes such as vanquishing, ect ...

How do you ready the weapon attributes now?

Perhaps there is a good essay for me to read?

Thanks for any info.

T

Tazar

This Stratics page has a list of all the magic properties that can be found on weapons, armor, jewelry, spellbooks, etc. It should give you a good bit of info on the subject.

J

Jarlaxle_DoUrden

This Stratics page has a list of all the magic properties that can be found on weapons, armor, jewelry, spellbooks, etc. It should give you a good bit of info on the subject.
Read through that ... did I just dream about the vanquishing thing? I think it worked something like a vorpal weapon and was very much desired. Does that even exist anymore?

N

Ni-

Read through that ... did I just dream about the vanquishing thing? I think it worked something like a vorpal weapon and was very much desired. Does that even exist anymore?
The Vanquishing weapons used to exist with the old weapon/armor set up. However, that system went away with the onset of item properties.

I believe a different version of Power and Vanquishing, along with Mystic weapons were reintroduced a while back and were avaliable during a few events. Their purpose is to bypass some mobs 'shield' during said events.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
All Vanquishing meant back then was that it had 35% DI.

As Ni- noted, some newer event weapons use the "power" and "Vanquishing" descriptors as indications of general power level.

Silver weapons, for example, became "Undead Slayers" in the system introduced with AOS.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All Vanquishing meant back then was that it had 35% DI.
Yes and no. It depends on what time period you're talking about, because originally there was no "35%."

It was trying to make sense of all the names, as a new player in 1998, that led me to discovering Stratics in the first place. There were a couple of simple tables that listed all the names and what they did. Originally, "vanquishing" meant +9 damage increase to the weapon's damage. This was a fixed number, not a percentage. "Power" was +7, "force" was +5, "might" was +3, and "ruin" was +1. Originally dex made little difference in swing speed, so the preference was for halberds and heavy crossbows of vanquishing. When swing speed became important, katanas of vanquishing were the new thing to have -- you were always getting the +9 extra damage per hit.

Exceptional player-crafted weapons were essentially equal to might, so ruin weapons weren't worth keeping unless they had great other mods. Silver, of course, but accuracy mods (supremely/exceedingly/etc.) added to tactics and thus added damage rather than today's hit chance. I won't even go into the pre-patch weapons that showed "ruin" but hit like vanqs...

When the BOD system was introduced -- I forget exactly when but it was prior to AoS -- vanquishing weapons were changed to 35% damage increase. Power became 30%, and so forth. But vanquishing weapons became outclassed: weapons crafted with a valorite hammer had 50% damage increase, with 45% for verite, 40% for agapite, and so forth. These mods were preserved with AoS. I still have my pre-AoS agapite war axe that I bought for a then-pricey 150K: with AoS it was given durability 120% and HCI 6%, whereas under the original its durability was something like "fortified," and the HCI was "eminently accurate." The damage increase has always been 40%, before or after AoS.

AoS ruined the old high-end magic weapons further, because exceptionally crafted weapons were given 20% damage increase as a default (meaning on par with old "might" weapons). In the final damage output, there just wasn't much difference between that and a legacy vanq. But I've kept a number of my favorite old weapons if they had some modifier that you can't get under AoS, like curse or paralyze charges.

C

canary

Yes and no. It depends on what time period you're talking about, because originally there was no "35%."

It was trying to make sense of all the names, as a new player in 1998, that led me to discovering Stratics in the first place. There were a couple of simple tables that listed all the names and what they did. Originally, "vanquishing" meant +9 damage increase to the weapon's damage. This was a fixed number, not a percentage. "Power" was +7, "force" was +5, "might" was +3, and "ruin" was +1. Originally dex made little difference in swing speed, so the preference was for halberds and heavy crossbows of vanquishing. When swing speed became important, katanas of vanquishing were the new thing to have -- you were always getting the +9 extra damage per hit.

Exceptional player-crafted weapons were essentially equal to might, so ruin weapons weren't worth keeping unless they had great other mods. Silver, of course, but accuracy mods (supremely/exceedingly/etc.) added to tactics and thus added damage rather than today's hit chance. I won't even go into the pre-patch weapons that showed "ruin" but hit like vanqs...

When the BOD system was introduced -- I forget exactly when but it was prior to AoS -- vanquishing weapons were changed to 35% damage increase. Power became 30%, and so forth. But vanquishing weapons became outclassed: weapons crafted with a valorite hammer had 50% damage increase, with 45% for verite, 40% for agapite, and so forth. These mods were preserved with AoS. I still have my pre-AoS agapite war axe that I bought for a then-pricey 150K: with AoS it was given durability 120% and HCI 6%, whereas under the original its durability was something like "fortified," and the HCI was "eminently accurate." The damage increase has always been 40%, before or after AoS.

AoS ruined the old high-end magic weapons further, because exceptionally crafted weapons were given 20% damage increase as a default (meaning on par with old "might" weapons). In the final damage output, there just wasn't much difference between that and a legacy vanq. But I've kept a number of my favorite old weapons if they had some modifier that you can't get under AoS, like curse or paralyze charges.
I always thought it would have been better if the preserved the names and made all weapon abilities in 5% increments. I miss the titles, even still.