• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

another kr bug, need help with it

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
whenever i press my skills button nothing happens; the skills menu isn't shown. and i do not have this problem for any other button, just the skills. i even tried setting another key to open the menu and it still won't work. anyone know how i may view my skills? otherwise, i'm not sure how useful a character can be without that menu. thank you.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hmmm my skills window works, but the character window/paperdoll and backpack do not.

I'll have to see if I can look into why that may be (as well as having a few people help sift the XML in case we can fix it as players).

For the time being, I've gotten used to clicking on the icons on the bottom right as I need the various windows

The layout is explained here

J

Joyous2K

Dermott is KR Komissar!!!

Champion of KR!!

What about this crazy idea I have been kicking around.... how about whenever you are due to get an arty to drop in your pack... it causes KR to crash and you don't get the arty?

Is their anyway to prove this doesn't happen? Is their anyway to prove it does happen?

I still get arties.... but sometimes when I feel due for one... and a creature dies.... I GET CRASHED OUT!

A

Ash

whenever i press my skills button nothing happens; the skills menu isn't shown. and i do not have this problem for any other button, just the skills. i even tried setting another key to open the menu and it still won't work. anyone know how i may view my skills? otherwise, i'm not sure how useful a character can be without that menu. thank you.
Well, as Dermott was talking about, does the skills window come up if you click the icon with the mouse?? If not, then the window maybe off the visible screen. I have had it happen to me when I use dual monitors and KR looses focus, then if i click on the title bar of a gump in KR it either shoots off the edge of the screen or gets attached to the mouse like i am dragging it.

One thing I have found, there is an undocumented default binding that can not be changed that will re-load the interface.. Left Ctrl-R.. Some times text gets stuck on screen, or gumps act crazy so I hit that so that i don't need to log out and back in to clear it up.

J

Joyous2K

I don't think there's really any way to prove that crash.
DERMOTT THE CHAMPION OF KR AND BRINGER OF GOOD FORTUNE!! As I read your post I was rewarded for my valor in combating the fallen beast and received a special artifact!!

You guys better elect Dermott for KR Komissar in 08!!

J

Joyous2K

Sorry OP. I click the things at the bottom right. Not ideal and terribly annoying but, it works. One day I will try to make macros for that stuff, but I am reluctant to learn more about the client.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Heh, chill on that. I'm just trying to help out where I can either by expanding understanding of the client or making notes of what can be tweaked from the players' end.

KR is rather different than previous UO clients in that we have the ability to fix some of the client problems (Ash has been great at that recently) whereas previously we could not.

I'm just trying to help out where I can.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i usually do use the icons on the bottom of the screen to open my skills menu, but it won't open when i click on it. therefore, i got the idea to set a key to open it because i thought maybe it was the button that was not working--but the assigned key doesn't open it either.

i have had many boxes slide off screen before, such as the chat-box, which has always been a real pain to get back (still not sure how i find it again, yet it always returns eventually). a part of me thinks this is the case with my allusive skill menu. yet, i tried the control-r trick and it doesn't let me use the button to see my skills menu again. i have reset everything in the user settings to no avail. i have restarted uo and my computer to no avail. i really don't know what else i can do. :(

thank you!

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
okay, just now i kept clicking on the button and noticed when i clicked on it a very thin sliver of light emitted from the top of my screen. so i clicked and drug on it and lo and behold was my skills bar.

i'm a nice guy.. but from now on whenever anyone asks whether they should use kr or stick with 2d i'm going to tell them that switching to kr would be the biggest mistake of their entire existences.

but i want to thank everyone for helping me!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

While I appreciate the gratitude, I find your proposed advice to be non-sensical.

I believe everyone should at least try out the new client and decide for themselves.

J

Joyous2K

I don't think there's really any way to prove that crash.
OK I will not promote you... but I just crashed again and I am telling you I am due for another arty now.

This crash bug cannot be proved or disproved but I think it is happening. On some occasions when an arty is due to drop in my pack... instead of getting the arty I crash out.

I bet I Will get now in the same amount of time as the last time....

we shall see.

OP... KR is not bad. THe support of KR by the Devs is what is bad. These bugs could be fixed, but they don't support KR anymore.

Why'd you drag your skills menu up there in the first place?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The skill window being up off the top of the window could be one of a few things:

1. When going back into focus (noticeable on dual monitor setups), if you click directly on a gump, it has a tendency to offset by a great deal. Usually this offset puts the gump to the far left of the cursor, but may have gone up a bit. Some gumps can be closed an reopened in the game field, others do not seem to have this corrective ability.

2. Changing resolution from a larger resolution to a smaller one. If you're running Windows at a larger resolution than you run KR when fullscreen, and then swap between them, this could happen based on where you place the gumps.

3. UI scale changing. If you go to a smaller scaled UI, place your UI gumps (menus, hotbars, backpack, etc), then set the UI scale up to a larger setting, it could place the gump outside of the screen area.

If you DO notice that a given gump does not appear when it should, go to My Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online\User Data\Account\Shard and find your character name's file. Open it in Notepad and look for any coordinates that are outside your resolution's normal range. For example, the Skills Window has the following listing:

<WindowPositions name="SkillsWindow" x="446.302185" y="544.000183" />

If the X and Y coordinates are outside your resolution's range (or has a negative value such as x="-125.894723"), set them to somewhere mid-range of your given resolution (500x500 for example for larger resolutions) and save the file. This will push the affected gump back into the window.

If more problems persist, or if you have big hotbar problems, sometimes it may be easier to simply delete the file and force the game to "rebuild" your desktop (this of course will mean you will lose any and all extra hotbars as well as items, spells, skills and macroes tied to all hotbars).

So final bit of advice, when you get your KR desktop set up as you like it, BACK UP THE USER DATA FILES just in case something happens, that way you can simply replace the file and not lose all of the setup work.