• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anniv Gifts on TC1

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
fond memories of running for my life and die'n a lot.
also the first time a monster called me out by name to taunt me.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Photoshop hatchet work:

<<-- A couple minutes of Gimp vs Actual Art -->>

While it still isn't quite right, just squashing the circle down improves it tremendously I think.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Photoshop hatchet work:

<<-- A couple minutes of Gimp vs Actual Art -->>

While it still isn't quite right, just squashing the circle down improves it tremendously I think.
Much better. I bet if you also dodged out the shadow on the pedestal base it would removed a bit of the confusion on light sources.

Really though, seeing the original in-game makes it look twice as ridiculous as when you see it in the bag. I mean... could it stick out more? Do they even do mock ups with standard game art to see how the finished product will actually look?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Much better. I bet if you also dodged out the shadow on the pedestal base it would removed a bit of the confusion on light sources.

Really though, seeing the original in-game makes it look twice as ridiculous as when you see it in the bag. I mean... could it stick out more? Do they even do mock ups with standard game art to see how the finished product will actually look?
I often wonder that myself... and think.... Wait this was approved?!?!? *sighs*

anyway... it looks broken the way it is.

Vermin

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran

A much easier fix is just renaming them "satellite dish" and you can all put them up on your new extended roofs.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Although asthetically nice (have to admit - and yeah, Gimp is awesome!) it is technically wrong for the perspective they use in the game. : http://stratics.com/threads/anniv-gifts-on-tc1.348703/page-2#post-2589608
I used the stools as my reference. Other older objects in the game with presumable round tops also have that shape, a left-right oval.

Regardless of what is technically correct after 18 years of different people adding things differently, I will never find the circular tops anything but awful. It's more a matter of how well it fits in the game than if it is technically correct.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I used the stools as my reference. Other older objects in the game with presumable round tops also have that shape, a left-right oval.

Regardless of what is technically correct after 18 years of different people adding things differently, I will never find the circular tops anything but awful. It's more a matter of how well it fits in the game than if it is technically correct.
I know, and I actually agree.

Showed this thread to some architect friends who use the perspective for showing 3D house plans to clients. To note: "We_never_ color or show textures/shading in that perspective because it does throw off all kinds of aesthetics which could turn a home owner off to certain designs. We use the 30/60 to show the aesthetics of color, shading and texture on stuff. What it looks like is the game developers took a front-on perspective and turned it to the 45 degrees. We never do that."
It was also noted that the perspective of our characters and many mobs are at 30/60 and not 45 - which will definitely throw off aesthetics to us due to our main focus on the animated characters instead of the static items.

But... such is our game, eh? We will take the anniversary gifts. Those who dislike them will hoard for the future cleanup points, those who like will put them on display. Is what we've been doing for years, eh?

In my opinion, it will take a whole lot of money, time, and coding to "get it right" - and that will essentially be a whole new game I think.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry but that plate is ridiculous looking. But the satellite dish is awesome :troll:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my opinion, it will take a whole lot of money, time, and coding to "get it right" - and that will essentially be a whole new game I think.
I don't think it need be perfect. They just need to make an effort to make things "fit", which they clearly are not doing.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Please help me compile all the plate engravings. So far I know of:

1. Minax enchants the Mage Anon
  2. A Time Lord opens a gate to the valley of Eodon
  3. Lord Blackthorn Accepts the Throne of Britannia
  4. Mondain the Wizard murders Lord Wolfgang
  5. Juo'nar the Lich occupies Trinsic
  6. The Avatar Shatters the Gem of Immortality

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Mondain the Wizard murders King Wolfgang is what I have.. not Lord Wolfgang

Also have...
Lord Dupre Leads an Army Against Exodus.
Lord Crawworth Discovers the Lost Lands.

of course, these could change by the time they are given to us on prodo shards.... just saying...

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another wasted opportunity....its beyond beggars belief....
step 1 - make a collectable set for gifts ...step 2 - people happy and must get set then reopen old accounts to get more gifts... step 3- broadsword pat themselves on the back and double there monthly subs and the company crack the champagne out...well done team!!!...step 4...OR do the complete opposite [jesus]

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
step 1 - make a collectable set for gifts ...step 2 - people happy and must get set then reopen old accounts to get more gifts... step 3- broadsword pat themselves on the back and double there monthly subs and the company crack the champagne out...well done team!!!...step 4...OR do the complete opposite [jesus]
I agree that I'm disappointed to not have much reason to collect the gifts this year. I only need one each of the recipes per shard since I only have one GM carpenter per shard. Don't see a whole lot of reason anymore to try to hang onto them to give to new/returning players. The sundials are difficult to look at and I really don't need more than one per shard if I have a house on the shard or none if I don't. And the plates don't appeal to me. Never have enjoyed trying to put together collections of stuff that all looks visually the same and the only thing that makes them different is how they are engraved.

Pretty bummed these days about the way UO is going. Can't see myself paying for it, let alone trying to log in and actually do stuff, much past early December at this rate. I'm tired of paying for a game that caters to just a handful of people, i.e., folks who are using it as their own little RL money-making machine, and once in a blue moon cranks out weak/unexciting content for the masses and we're told by the cheerleaders, most of whom are probably paid employees or contractors of Broadsword or gold/item sellers, to just be thankful the game is still running.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly! We bring this up every single gift time. We got named towels. Who decides on this stuff? I have seen the awesome stuff Mesanna has done for events. Please let her do gifts. Instead of activating more accounts I will be having less after this publish. No need for a keep on two shards much less 3. Castle customizing is very flexible and I thank the team for it. Keep customizing is not. I will "keep" my castle account.

Reactions: THP

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
plz devs pm me and ill double your subs in 6 months.....honest....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Exactly! We bring this up every single gift time. We got named towels. Who decides on this stuff? I have seen the awesome stuff Mesanna has done for events. Please let her do gifts. Instead of activating more accounts I will be having less after this publish. No need for a keep on two shards much less 3. Castle customizing is very flexible and I thank the team for it. Keep customizing is not. I will "keep" my castle account.
Let her do gifts? You do realize that Mesanna is the PRODUCER... Which means that anything and everything that goes into the game is approved by HER. So she is the one that dictates what we get or don't get. So if she says NO colors.... no rares.... there are no colors no rares...

And ultimately she is the one who decides to cater to the rares community and feed the greed that has taken over UO.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Also have...

of course, these could change by the time they are given to us on prodo shards.... just saying...
Thanks!

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
juo nar was the bestest event ever
he even popped up beside me and said"don't bard my minons". then killed me and loot my instraments

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please help me compile all the plate engravings. So far I know of:

1. Minax enchants the Mage Anon
  2. A Time Lord opens a gate to the valley of Eodon
  3. Lord Blackthorn Accepts the Throne of Britannia
  4. Mondain the Wizard murders Lord Wolfgang
  5. Juo'nar the Lich occupies Trinsic
  6. The Avatar Shatters the Gem of Immortality

Also have...
Is this all of them do we know?