• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

And the devs in the EA-Mythic Choir still singin' Galway Bay....

• Thread starter Prince Caspian
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
P

Prince Caspian

"So then King Randor asks what this 'Christmas' thing is all about. Funny. His wife of overy twenty years, Queen Marlena, is originally from Earth -- you'd think that the biggest holiday on her home planet might have come up in conversation at least once in all of that time. Talk about a dysfunctional marriage."

-- R.D. Reynolds, Review of The She-Ra/He-Man Christmas Special

Similiarly, Lord British, according to the UO Mythos, is from our very own ball of dirt spinning around the sun, so the fact that Britannia celebrates Christmas is virtually canon in UO. It may be early yet, but I have the following thoughts on the upcoming Yule-Oh.

#1 - Bring back Shard Trading.
Semi-rares were an act of serendipity, so I'm told -- window dressing that was not meant to be acquired by players. But instead of "fixing the bug," they let us have it, giving thiefs a non-griefing reason to be long before "stealable artifacts."

I feel that Shard Trading was similiar. People jumping to different servers and exchanging prizes from throwaway toons to established players, for a reciporical set of prizes on the other shard. Yes, you had scamsters and thieves, but most folks were anxious to do honest business. And frankly, it was fun!

However, the breadth of prizes that are now given to players in the past few years engender very few "rare" items of note, so it's not as exciting. Add some rare items into the mix, and it will breathe some badly needed excitement into Holiday Trading.

#2 - For the love of God, no more cards!!!
Hallmark's warehouse probably doesn't hold as many greeting cards as generated most UO holiday events. They are the epitome of a worthless "rare;" they don't look interesting and just have a tag on them to tell them apart.

#3 - Holiday Trees? No deeds, please.
Ah, Der Tennbaum. The bright, beautiful icon of Christmas is of course a natural choice for our #1 recurring Christmas gift, not just because just seeing one injects a quick burst of holiday cheer, but because this is Ultima Online, where we own our own houses and can decorate them accordingly!
But year after year, we have volumes of these deeds.
What I propose is to roll the tree placing into housing itself. During the holidays, you can say "I wish to place a Christmas Tree," and the number you can place is based on your house dimensions. Natch, when the holiday is over, they disappear.

#4 - Christmas Event?
Halloween events have been a mainstay in UO for the past few years. But why not a Christmas Event? Granted, Christmas is the time for warmth and goodwill, not exactly the time that makes you want to wander the countryside and kill things, but some creative Christmas-themed stuff would be fun (Gingerbread Golems! Mutant Reindeer! A Krampus rampaging across the land!)

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can have Satan Claus spawn outside at random times throught the day at houses with a tree on display. Cucking coal at passers buy that hit the ground and spawn evil elves. Little pick pockets that snatch and run like the town NPCs did.

Have that ninja/trapdoor/kapetch Frosty Snowman pop up out of the snow patches all over the land. Something along the lines of the controller golem event that happened all over.

Just having the Stags respawn like they are BR infected. Just they are titled as a Rabid Reindeer. 1-100 chance they have a deer mask as loot with 550 point random 6 mod cap and glowing red eyes on the paperdoll.

B

Babble

So you said you wanted more cards?
:p

hmm but how about they give us a big tree with decoration?
With small named crystal balls as deco?

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A nativity scene with statues of Baby Jesus etc please.

When you touch the shepherds you get a short boost to herding or taming.
When you touch Joseph you get carpentry boost.
When you touch Mary you get meditation boost.
When you touch Three wise men you get gold or short eval int boost.
When you touch oxen or donkey you get animal lore boost.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A nativity scene with statues of Baby Jesus etc please.

When you touch the shepherds you get a short boost to herding or taming.
When you touch Joseph you get carpentry boost.
When you touch Mary you get meditation boost.
When you touch Three wise men you get gold or short eval int boost.
When you touch oxen or donkey you get animal lore boost.
When you touch yourself you get a wrestling boost.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about replace some Ilshenar champ spawns with a Christmas champ spawn? Reindeers, elves, etc for the lower ends and, of course, santa as the boss! Then some cool loot, coal, presents, etc.

P

Phineas le Monge

I am Santa Claus! I give gifts, I can take them just as easily! I will check the list twice to see if you are naughty or nice! OOF! I doth bleed eggnog, ho Ho HO!

J

Jasonleebeck

I've said it before, and I'll say it again..

I want a Santa Hat!

Not a re-colored wizard hat, but a full on puffy white rimmed hat, red, with a white fluffy ball at the top. And when I put it on,..I want to turn into Santa with a large bag slung over my shoulder and reindeer following me around!

OR..

An Elf hat of similar style that turns me into an elf with the pointy ears and shoes!

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just bring back Santa's Slay shard. That's it.