• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] An Interview with Lady Sakarrah

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am going to conduct an interview with Lady Sakkarah (Regine_EAMythic, UO Associate Game Designer). The interview will be done from the perspective of rares in Ultima Online. I will be asking questions supplied by you guys. Please only post questions that make sense and has a chance of being answered.

A brief history of Lady Sakkarah is in order (in context of events and rares):
- Ran QuestMasters guild on Atlantic shard which arranged some very great player managed events
- Was an event moderator of Baja shard during the last season arc
- Recently as part of the developer team of Ultima Online, she was responsible for cooking up the murder investigation plot

------
The theme of the interview is positive outlook towards rares and events. Try to come up with questions that are respectful, answerable, and unambiguous. I will not pick any questions that are rude, already answered, or cannot be answered. Also, I don't think I will be asking anything related to duping as it - maaaaybee one question. PS, looking to get the questions by Tuesday 26th.

PS read all the questions already submitted or brought up so that you don't ask the same thing.

So far the questions I have are:

1) Players often get conflicting responses from the GM team. Is it possible to have Game Masters more trained in terms of Rares so that they are able to better answer questions like "Are neon tubs legitimate?" (can I get a better example than neon tub?) *asked by jasonleebeck*

2) Any chance of having EM program brought back? (even though I doubt that it is going to be answered in a direct manner) *asked by manticore, elbryan*

3) Quite a few people mentioned having new rares introduced via systems like obsidian statue quest or mini-events like Japanese slime event. One of the things that I have always wanted is an obsidian statue named after myself and so I quite often do the quest myself. Do you think it would be possible to have more mini-quests like this where you get an entire spectra of items in terms of rarity? *asked by chaosy, pickaxepete, feath*

4) Rare collecting has long been infested with duping. One of the primary reasons is that dupers/fencers exploit the fact that it is very hard to tell if an item has been duped. As such, it is always a primary concern for anyone interested in collecting. A lot has been said about it recently. Do you have anything extra to share with us at this point? (this will be the only duping question that I am asking) *asked by pretty much everyone*

5) Sometimes during patches, certain rare items are known to "break" - losing their tag and reverting to default name, or even functionality. In the past GM's used to be able to fix such bugs but it seems to be not the case anymore. I personally have always felt too guilty about trying to bring such a bug up to a developer level as it is not up there on the grand scheme of things. However, recently I have been thinking of starting a list in rare forums where we keep track of such bugs. Do you think this could prove to be an useful resource for that very rare occasion when a developer might be looking to fix something (very) minor? *asked by tomas*

6) Recently, EA/Mythic has introduced new drops in old dungeons and such which has been quite nice. However, most of these items have been fairly easy to get. Is it possible to also add artifact rarity new items as drops to old places like doom or anti-virtue dungeons? Well, of course it is possible but what are your thoughts on this matter? *asked by hon*

7) Will we ever see a major event that builds upon the concepts used during the well-received Ophidian invasion, specifically speaking the ability to really control the fate of their shards? In retrospect, this should have been really used during the Magincia invasion as then players would have truly been able to save the city (or not). Lot of players have often wondered about why this has not been done so as it was arguably the most successful invasion event in recent times. *asked by tomas*

8) Due to the many seer items still sitting in players bank boxes or hidden away in chests, will the team ever look into changing the properties of "newbied" items, so that they can be locked down, and will not decay while being locked down? *asked by halister*

---------------------------------------------------------------

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
my question is as follows...

if a rare collector bought some rares off of a vendor that they did not know were duped, will they be penalized for doing this?

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Demonous I think this is something that affects everyone and is not really pertinent to this context. I don't think they have different rules for different duped items. I am actually thinking of not asking anything duping related as I doubt that it is an answerable category.

For example, the question that I am thinking of asking is:

Sometimes during patches, certain rare items are known to "break" - losing their tag and reverting to default name, or even functionality. In the past GM's used to be able to fix such bugs but it seems to be not the case anymore. I personally have always felt too guilty about trying to bring such a bug up to a developer level as it is not up there on the grand scheme of things. However, recently I have been thinking of starting a list in rare forums where we keep track of such bugs. Do you think this could prove to be an useful resource for that very rare occasion when a developer might be looking to fix something (very) minor?

I would also suggest to go through that QuestMaster website to see if you get any ideas.

R

RenaLynne

Just throwing this out here because frankly I would like to see something other than dupes discussed during interview...Would it be possible or does she see anything in the future for making a new rare system? Such as, instead of only being able to obtain rares through fighting or stealing, using other professions for random special items. Like the gardening for rares thread provided by Harlequin, and the adventuring idea created by Raven Winterhawk. Maybe this isnt as serious as the duping and exploits, but I for one would be interested in seeing some new postive content in the game.

F

feath

Would it be possible to have small one off events, that give out a few items. it doesn't have to be new art, but something with a new title, that can be collected and traded.
for instants, the recent Japanese slime event - could the other shards have something similar?

C

Chaosy

Just throwing this out here because frankly I would like to see something other than dupes discussed during interview...Would it be possible or does she see anything in the future for making a new rare system? Such as, instead of only being able to obtain rares through fighting or stealing, using other professions for random special items. Like the gardening for rares thread provided by Harlequin, and the adventuring idea created by Raven Winterhawk. Maybe this isnt as serious as the duping and exploits, but I for one would be interested in seeing some new postive content in the game.
This would be interesting - kind of like the obsidian statue quest where you can get a statue of yourself!

J

Jasonleebeck

My Question:

Will GM's be more competent when asked to help with an item, or knowledgeable regarding items? I.E., be able to confidently answer questions regarding legality of items and assist in re-placement of items?

Examples: the neon dye tub was a GM mistake, and exploited when found out.
Some items stuck in a box may look better over here instead of there, but alas, it's stuck there.

you get the idea.

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Q: Are there any plans to offer scheduled, live developer-run mini-events such as those during Valentines Day 2008 in the future?

hon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to know if any changes are going to happen to doom, people are asking for new events but if they just change doom drops or bosses drops people would stop getting on u guys that u dont do anything new. People look for new stuff not just new events. So my question is what going to happen (which it is) flooded with artis, How are they going to keep people interested in the old the places and not just wait till something new comes out.

E

Elbryan Uthador

Q: Does Mythic think that any of the majors contributers to the duped "rares" situation have inside information keeping them safe from being banned?

This is a valid question that I would like to try to get an answer to it. I don't care about duped runics, I want to know why the big name dupers aren't getting hit.

Tomas, if you have an issue with my question give me the decency of an icq about it.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bring back the EM events!!!!

5 seasons worth have brought us nearly 1,000 event items for people to enjoy.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is nooooooooo way we are going back to the dark days of EM Events for the 'in crowd only' .....LEAVE IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!

Global in game events for everyone over a week or two period so everyone can have a chance to take part..!! STOP THIS NONSENCE RIGHT NOW!!

Armed4Fun

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think the events have been great. Starting with the most recent, the rescue & Melissa quest, the short glass dagger event kinda(Andrew i think), The Vanguards, Moonglow hell and the shadowlords......
Will constant quests and events continue to be back to back like they've been? As soon as one ended a new began up till now that Melissa ended a couple weeks ago. It's been loads of fun and kept even the bored of the game people i know playing and having fun. I really hope it continues.

U

UltimaSword

Forget EM events. Way to random unless and EM had some way of letting people know. then there would be a lagfest. I mean I did like the excitement of maybe getting an event item but the chances of catching an event were rare.

Will there ever be something similar to EM's returned to the game but in a way in which more people can be involved instead of a lucky few?

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Elbryan: No, I am not sure why you think that question would fall under the answerable category but I am not going to ask it! :<

Regarding rest, can I get specific questions so I don't have to paraphrase little paragraphs into questions :p

So far the questions I have are:

1) Players often get conflicting responses from the GM team. Is it possible to have Game Masters more trained in terms of Rares so that they are able to better answer questions like "Are neon tubs legitimate?" (can I get a better example than neon tub?)

2) Any chance of having EM program brought back? (even though I doubt that it is going to be answered in a direct manner)

3) Quite a few people mentioned having new rares introduced via systems like obsidian statue quest. One of the things that I have always wanted is an obsidian statue named after myself and so I quite often do the quest myself. Do you think it would be possible to have more mini-quests like this where you get an entire spectra of items in terms of rarity?

4) Rare collecting has long been infested with duping. One of the primary reasons is that dupers/fencers exploit the fact that it is very hard to tell if an item has been duped. As such, it is always a primary concern for anyone interested in collecting. A lot has been said about it recently. Do you have anything extra to share with us at this point? (this will be the only duping question that I am asking)

5) Sometimes during patches, certain rare items are known to "break" - losing their tag and reverting to default name, or even functionality. In the past GM's used to be able to fix such bugs but it seems to be not the case anymore. I personally have always felt too guilty about trying to bring such a bug up to a developer level as it is not up there on the grand scheme of things. However, recently I have been thinking of starting a list in rare forums where we keep track of such bugs. Do you think this could prove to be an useful resource for that very rare occasion when a developer might be looking to fix something (very) minor?

6) Recently, EA/Mythic has introduced new drops in old dungeons and such which has been quite nice. However, most of these items have been fairly easy to get. Is it possible to also add artifact rarity new items as drops to old places like doom or anti-virtue dungeons? Well, of course it is possible but what are your thoughts on this matter?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another possible question to give you guys an idea:
"Will we ever see a major event that builds upon the concepts used during the well-received Ophidian invasion? In retrospect, this should have been really used during the magincia invasion as then players would have truly been able to save the city (or not). Lot of players have often wondered about why this has not been done so."

E

Elbryan Uthador

I just would like to know if it is something that maybe they have considered. We have had GM corruption before.

J

Jasonleebeck

1) Players often get conflicting responses from the GM team. Is it possible to have Game Masters more trained in terms of Rares so that they are able to better answer questions like "Are neon tubs legitimate?" (can I get a better example than neon tub?)

Land tiles, 'orange' items (as in quest), generally the items that are WAY out of date on the UO site, such as sigil. Those lame a$$ changling duped items. Example of GM...difficulties : UHall Link

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here's a self admittedly personal one that I've been meaning to ask:

Due to the many seer items still sitting in players bank boxes or hidden away in chests, will the team ever look into changing the properties of "newbied" items, so that they can be locked down, and will not decay while being locked down?

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I find an item of questionable legality, what recourse do I have in determining whether I should keep it, or toss it? Should I page a GM and risk a mark on my account by an unknowing GM? I have tossed a bag of duplicated items from an idoc into the trash barrel, but sometimes I'm just not certain of an item. What would you recommend?

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You should page a GM and if you are strongly suspicious you should trash it too. Next!