• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

An idea for a role-playing event.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I was banging my head against the wall today and trying to think of a awesome event for Pacific. And as a role-player, I have been bored to death as of lately, as there is not much role-playing going around. So I was thinking of how I could get people attracted role-playing with some kind of small PvP events that revolve around role-playing, but anyone could get involved. So I looked at this idea that another shard had and I was like "hmmm, this could work!"

Once a week we would organize a battle event for all players. The event would take place in an area, any area, it could be Moonglow, Minoc, Vesper, it would mostly be around a town. It would be a skirmish warfare event that all could participate, hosted by the Guardsmen Militia of course. Guilds would war each other as this would take place in Trammel, each person would be put into a group as a recruit, each group would have their own uniform, there would most likely just be two groups fighting one another at a pre-determined location.

The goal of the battle would be annouced short before the event (for example, capture the flag or conquer a territory)

Armor and weapons will be provided.

The Rules:

* Wear only items crafted with simple tools. No Artifacts, no runic-crafted items, no jewelry, no talismans. Only use gm-made armor, weapons and shields with no magic mods.
* As these items can easily be replaced, you don't even need to insure them.
* Due to fairness and balancing, powerful pets are not allowed (for example, no Greater Dragons, no Rune Beetles, or 5 animals with pack instinct).
* As your alignment will be determined by color, your armor has to be dyed in a certain color, or you have to wear a robe of that color.
* Looting is not allowed.
* Prior to each battle, a random member of each side will be made General. He has to prepare a strategy and command his troops.
* It will be determined before each battle, whether or not mounts are allowed.
*Mages/Necromancers/Paladins are not allowed to use summons or area spells for aid in fighting. The only exceptions to this are Arch Cure, Wall of Stone and Energy Field.

Animals forms:

*Giant Serpent and Bullfrog
Banned due to automatic poison attack.

The rest are allowed

* The insides of healers and banks are considered neutral grounds; you may not attack or RP out alternatives there.
* If you get knocked unconscious (killed to the more brutal minded) IC, then you are considered injured for at least 5 minutes minutes. In that time you must keep your deathrobe on. You may not join the battle, or do any other demanding chores IC. You may RP being injured, and as such talk with others, but you may not help or interfere with any ongoing battle in any way. You should also not log in a different character to rejoin a battle with.
*While a character is gathering his orher belongings from his or her body they should keep their deathrobeson. This indicates to other players that the character is unattackable, and means the player cannot attack.
*Make sure that any fallen players are resurrected and allowed to loot their bodies as soon as possible. With the change in UO, it is now possible to resurrect those you are at war with (orange status). After the battle, if they are still there in ghost form, feel free to resurrect them.

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it would be a good idea, but there seems to be a lot of PVP stuff going on right now.
We had a tavern night this week with some RP and it actually went great, but it was small. I wish there was a better way to get more people to come. Would it be possible to make an official IRC server for Pac players where everyone can go to talk and events can be broadcast better? Of course you'd have people to watch (it's 4 am, words are escaping me...) as they do in the forums to keep things appropriate and what not, but I think it would help get RP events and all event in general publicized for more user activity.
Sorry, I didn't mean to change subjects, just trying to figure a way out to create more involvement which seems to be what you're wanting to do. =]

R

RichDC

Catskills militia ?

Great fun, great idea!!!

Should be rolled out on all shards imo.

One thing they added at a later date is that sc weaps(not mage weap) with either penalty or non and no other mods just the 40%DI were allowed, to accomodate for tank mages.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it would be a good idea, but there seems to be a lot of PVP stuff going on right now.
We had a tavern night this week with some RP and it actually went great, but it was small. I wish there was a better way to get more people to come. Would it be possible to make an official IRC server for Pac players where everyone can go to talk and events can be broadcast better? Of course you'd have people to watch (it's 4 am, words are escaping me...) as they do in the forums to keep things appropriate and what not, but I think it would help get RP events and all event in general publicized for more user activity.
Sorry, I didn't mean to change subjects, just trying to figure a way out to create more involvement which seems to be what you're wanting to do. =]
Problem is that there is no current contact or communication between role-players, I didn't know that there was a tavern night, or I would have gone... I have set us up a RP forum as well, unless there is another one to use. Feel free to sign up here.

Ignore the crappy banner, it is temporary, I am working on one.. :D

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Catskills militia ?

Great fun, great idea!!!

Should be rolled out on all shards imo.

One thing they added at a later date is that sc weaps(not mage weap) with either penalty or non and no other mods just the 40%DI were allowed, to accomodate for tank mages.
Except for Europa.. :p

They really don't need to.

R

RichDC

Except for Europa.. :p

They really don't need to.
They dont NEED to but, this was possibly one of the best player run events i have ever attended. Was all done in good humour and is great practice for new players to PvP. They fight the templates not the items.

I may begin to work a toon for this event, especially if it is going to be an ongoing thing.

I wish you the same success, and dont be afraid to add your own variations :p

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They dont NEED to but, this was possibly one of the best player run events i have ever attended. Was all done in good humour and is great practice for new players to PvP. They fight the templates not the items.

I may begin to work a toon for this event, especially if it is going to be an ongoing thing.

I wish you the same success, and dont be afraid to add your own variations :p
Well, I have a guild put together and we're gonna try it with "The Wendol." And see what happens.. :thumbsup:

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem is that there is no current contact or communication between role-players, I didn't know that there was a tavern night, or I would have gone...
That's exactly what I'm talking about, though.
The problem with forums is that people are bad about checking and advertising. If a chat channel was made on IRC, it would be easy to advertise RP events and make sure everyone knows. Since I'm familiar with IRC and I have guild mates like Sablestorm who know how to use it, I am more than willing to set up a room that everyone can use and moderators can be figured out later (I have no want to be a moderator but I'm sure some people are far more capable of that job than I am).
Does this sounds like sounds that could work?

Pink Floyd

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just re register #pacificrp on the stratics IRC..it used to get used pretty heavily and would most likely serve your purposes.

SchezwanBeefy

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just re register #pacificrp on the stratics IRC..it used to get used pretty heavily and would most likely serve your purposes.
Not just for me, I would hope that a large number of users from stratics and otherwise would use it. I'm just asking people here if this would be something that would make things more available for them. Would they be willing to download IRC and take part in a chat room?

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's exactly what I'm talking about, though.
The problem with forums is that people are bad about checking and advertising. If a chat channel was made on IRC, it would be easy to advertise RP events and make sure everyone knows. Since I'm familiar with IRC and I have guild mates like Sablestorm who know how to use it, I am more than willing to set up a room that everyone can use and moderators can be figured out later (I have no want to be a moderator but I'm sure some people are far more capable of that job than I am).
Does this sounds like sounds that could work?
I agree with you, and I think we could do with forums for now as well, check mine out.. And I need someone to make a banner for it.. :D

It's a well made forum, also check out the guild listings on it, I thought it was a pretty good idea..