• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

An Exciting Turn of Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Oscar the Grouch

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
The past staff consisted of many amazing individuals who volunteered a whole heck of a lot of time to help the community. The current staff consists of amazing individuals who are volunteering a whole heck of a lot of time to help the community. The community has a lot of really diverse and unique people who contribute to this site in ways such as simply posting or writing articles that get published. Anyone who wants a more active role in helping with this community please apply for a staff position. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but topics that are targeting individuals or their past contributions are not allowed or condoned in this thread. This is about the future of Stratics and its dedication to the game we love, Ultima Online. Its about the future people lets see where it goes.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
In all seriousness I think the following would go a long way...

Double check the current content for being up to date and factual. Also things dated say 2004 don't inspire confidence as being currently relevant, even if they are. Perhaps a new date could be added like "revised" or "information verified" blah blah blah 2015

I personally find locating information on Stratics difficult. Or more difficult than it should be. It could use some better organization with the links and search. If I do a Google search "Ultima Online whatever" I tend to find pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I use "Google search" on Stratics and it tends to give me hundreds of returns. Not sure what the difference is in the 2 Googles, but there is one.

My only other suggestion is many of the articles tend to get "wordy". Keep it simple, brief, and to the point.

*Bows with grand flourish*

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I personally find locating information on Stratics difficult. Or more difficult than it should be. It could use some better organization with the links and search. If I do a Google search "Ultima Online whatever" I tend to find pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I use "Google search" on Stratics and it tends to give me hundreds of returns. Not sure what the difference is in the 2 Googles, but there is one.
I was thinking about that earlier. A lot could be done to make Stratics easier to navigate, it was one of the plans for what was to be the "New Stratics" and it would be nice to implement some of those features in the existing Stratics. One thing I would love to see is an easy way for people to update and add content, There is a lot of it on the site, and much more than a small handful of volunteers can possibly keep up alone, I also see many guides placed in the forums which would if the creator consents be useful converted to content on Stratics.com. But for that to work an easier navigation structure than menu trees would have to go in.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd still be intrigued to know just how big this community is that stratics are dedicating it's own site.

Are you prepared to publish any numbers?

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I'd still be intrigued to know just how big this community is that stratics are dedicating it's own site.

Are you prepared to publish any numbers?
The supermajority of Stratics traffic is related to Ultima Online, so the focus on Ultima Online is natural. There are 8k registered users and website traffic has remained relatively constant since October (when Bazaaro purchased Stratics), with the average post count per day on the rise. So, Stratics is alive and well which seems to be at the heart of your question. There is room for us to grow by focusing on improving content and navigation. We look forward to the challenge. :)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are 8k registered users and website traffic has remained relatively constant since October (when Bazaaro purchased Stratics), with the average post count per day on the rise.
Do you guys have any sense of how many "sock puppet" accounts are included in those 8k registered users?

Edited to add: The reason I ask is that periodically I will look at the "new members" list and see that someone has just created 3 or 4 new user names, one after another, that are all built around the same root name. If that is a common occurrence or a significant number of people are constantly creating new user names for trolling or trading purposes, then 8k registered users doesn't mean a whole lot.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you guys have any sense of how many "sock puppet" accounts are included in those 8k registered users?

Edited to add: The reason I ask is that periodically I will look at the "new members" list and see that someone has just created 3 or 4 new user names, one after another, that are all built around the same root name. If that is a common occurrence or a significant number of people are constantly creating new user names for trolling or trading purposes, then 8k registered users doesn't mean a whole lot.
Agreed, but you must have some sort meaningful data available. Why would you have a site that didnt give you user data?

8k registered users doesnt mean much, as you rightly state. I was more interested in how big our 'active' community is. For instance how many individual accounts posted or replied to a UO thread in the last month/quarter? That sort of data gives you an idea of your active users. Do you have any information of that sort? Is this dedicated site being created for 60 users or 600?

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Average online at any one time ranges from 25 - 40 members with some of those being staff. This doesn't state clearly how many log in during a month but it does give you some idea of averages. Ron's statement that it's higher than it use to be is interesting. Personally I find that to be incorrect but I've been wrong before.

Oscar, I commend you for your post #53. I only wish that this ethic would also apply to all other threads also. It's truly shameful to see what has been allowed to be stated not only by members but by staff also. More and more I find myself disgusted by the attacks allowed to stay in threads. I'm not alone in this. I've loved this site, I've dedicated much time and effort into this site and to see some of the stuff that's allowed now is sad.

It's at this point trolls start saying toughen up blah blah blah. It's not being weak, overly sensitive etc. that is a problem here. It's the change in the American youth perspective that there is nothing wrong in being rude and mean. And yes, I said American youth. What I should say is US youth. We forget there are a couple countries on the North and South American continents. ;) But any other country I go to you don't see this issue. Only here, where we are vastly richer than most other parts of the world that you see this kind of behavior.

I run construction crews in refineries, pipeline, the oil and gas industries, transportation etc. So as they tell me I am tough. Tough but fair. I've got red necks, pipeliners, former suits, gang bangers, ex-convicts and of course everyday people that I supervise. When it comes down to it we are all like everyone else. They have husbands, wives, sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, girlfriends, boyfriends. These men and woman are perceived as the real 'tough ones'. Even they know it's wrong behavior to actively troll and belittle others. They know there is a line. These posters know it too but they keep pushing. And you're allowing it to happen.

I just don't get why you think this is an improvement. If you think this is the means which will increase your membership you might be right short term. But what you'll end up with?

I just ask that you reconsider. Improve Stratics in meaningful ways. Don't degrade it please. Or allow others to degrade it to the lowest common denominator.

I know this sounds like a broken record recently. I and others have been trying to be a voice that speaks for some sane respectful exchange. I know this will give great joy to some of the members who think differently than I but at this point I'll drop the issue. I can always do what the others have done. Simply walk away and go elsewhere.

Let the troll drama begin!

Respectfully,

AW

Oscar the Grouch

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Oscar, I commend you for your post #53. I only wish that this ethic would also apply to all other threads also. It's truly shameful to see what has been allowed to be stated not only by members but by staff also. More and more I find myself disgusted by the attacks allowed to stay in threads. I'm not alone in this. I've loved this site, I've dedicated much time and effort into this site and to see some of the stuff that's allowed now is sad.
We are working on a defined set of rules for moderating threads so that everything stays fair and even. In the past, moderators had to guess at correct actions and what did or did not break the RoC. This led to views (imagined or real) of favoritism in the community. When Ron says he is trying to improve and streamline Stratics it isn't so that it becomes something we don't want but something it was always meant to be. A healthy community for us folks who love it here and hopefully others who used to love it or never even knew about it. We are unfortunately short staffed and as things are redefined not everyone on staff knows where we fit. As we work out those kinks hopefully things will get better. As it is I mostly only have time to moderate threads that have been reported I unfortunately do not have time to check every thread so if you do see something please let us know.

I will do you one even better Amber, come back on as staff and help Stratics succeed.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I like it as it is now, in the past, I believe we did see to many removed posts and to many locked threads. The waves may go a little high, when a debat goes on, but as long is only a little board PvP but as long it not get really nasty, I believe a friendly warning may be better than a deleted post or a closed thread.
With so few staff, I believe you must be doing something right.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Theres a fine point between mean spirited "personal attacks" and creating an "environment of fear" where users are afraid to post. you have to realize this forum doesnt consist of "real people" its VIDEO GAME PEOPLE, big difference :p

I know for some time i gave up on posting anything, for fear that someone would take offense. You just cant have that in a video game forum.

I do agree, respect is needed at all times, but its not the type of respect you would give at a workplace, or out in public. We have to remember this is a game. people shouldn't be all uptight, we play games to relax, joke, and let off steam. Not have to be politically correct or worried that someone we just murdered by burning them to death will turn around and get all offended by a joke or somewhat rude comment just because its one step away from the game in a forum, but also not real life.

Last edited:

Sempiress

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics is pleased to announce that it will transition back to a fully dedicated Ultima Online fansite! Yes you heard me correctly, Stratics will return to its roots, and turn all attention to Ultima Online, and slowly phase out aspects of the Site that relate to other games.

We hope this news makes you as excited as it does us because it was inspired by your feedback. We have not ignored the many cries for Stratics to focus more on building content for UO, and less on other games. After all, that's why you joined this community right? Well, we are going to make that happen and we hope that by doing so we can better meet the needs of this community.

So, what about all the fanfare regarding the "New Stratics?" The new website will be launched under a completely separate brand. We hope that by separating the new Site into a new brand, that will also allow us to focus that Site on its unique purpose: to become a Massive Multiplayer Online and Massive Online Battle Arena social network. Of course, the new Site will welcome the UO community, but there will be no migration of accounts or UO Stratics content. Non-UO article content will be migrated. Keep your eyes open for a future announcement regarding its name and launch date.

This is really a great opportunity for us to improve the UO community, attract more UO members to Stratics, and strengthen our relationship with Broadsword. We have already started thinking of ways to cater the Stratics experience to the UO community and additional features that the UO community would find useful. There are some exciting months ahead.

Thanks for being in our community and thank you for your feedback, positive or otherwise :)

Now this is exciting news! We love you since about 2000.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
It may be a game, to me, it's a virtual world with other rules than RL. Telling you are going to kill someone in game or burn down their house in game is ok, but telling you are going to kill them RL or burning down their RL house is not ok. Now, even when it's a game, I do believe I show the player behind the char same respect as people I meet in RL. Sure I may RP and kill his char but that's ok in game but if I feel, he can't handle it, I'm not the one who will just laugh and blame him for crying over a game, I will try to put up some RP and make him feel better.
The funny thing is, if you show others respect in the game, you will earn respect, even if you are a red PK.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
remember these forums are staying as is
No they are not. They are getting cleaned up and condensed by Kirthag's own words. I was providing feedback, which is what this thread is supposed to be about. #BackOnTopic

Thanks Pandora for those awesome ideas!

We are already discussing some condensing of boards and services, and developing new ones that will work hand in hand with the content side of the site (uo2.stratics.com). Now that we have a dedicated team focusing in on UO only (believe me, I am so relieved myself!) there's a lot we will be doing.

There is a cleanup going on... this will be apparent over the weekend.

If anyone remembers the "old days", there were really only about 7 or 8 boards in all at UOSS. Simpler times then.

As we continue our meetings (right now all Admins are meeting once a week), we will be considering all sorts of features and services. Some will be short term, others long - but definitely will benefit the UO community!

This we are discussing now:
  • Stratics Pro
  • Trade Boards

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Agreed, but you must have some sort meaningful data available. Why would you have a site that didnt give you user data?

8k registered users doesnt mean much, as you rightly state. I was more interested in how big our 'active' community is. For instance how many individual accounts posted or replied to a UO thread in the last month/quarter? That sort of data gives you an idea of your active users. Do you have any information of that sort? Is this dedicated site being created for 60 users or 600?
There are 3-4k unique users per day on the forums and about the same on the UO2 Site. That's on par with historical average after 2011. The website was much larger between 2008-2011. Post count in November 2014 was the highest it has been since 2011.

This isn't a huge website, but there is a strong and active community here and we are trying to make it stronger. Stratics has always been about UO, so the recent announcement is a realization of priority more than anything else. Focus will help drive growth and improvement. I hope you enjoy the dedicated service that will be provided.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are 3-4k unique users per day on the forums and about the same on the UO2 Site. That's on par with historical average after 2011. The website was much larger between 2008-2011. Post count in November 2014 was the highest it has been since 2011.

This isn't a huge website, but there is a strong and active community here and we are trying to make it stronger. Stratics has always been about UO, so the recent announcement is a realization of priority more than anything else. Focus will help drive growth and improvement. I hope you enjoy the dedicated service that will be provided.

Thanks Bronster

I am often sceptical of UO, and on occasion this site. I have to say though that the stratics of today is a huge leap forward from stratics of the past. I dont want a wild west environment but do want a forum where open discussion can take place, is encouraged, and there is no god complex amongst the mods. The new regime is for the most part pretty good. The balance seems right and the conversation flows, and when the mods do step in its usually justified. Good moderation and very unlike the previous mob.

Keep up the good work.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
What huge leap has been made?

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Some points about Stratics in the near future:
  • The community at Stratics consists of many different people with many views. All staff at Stratics keeps this in mind while modding.
  • The forum has always been a place for members to discuss, vent, rage and make suggestions. Be it in character or out, everyone one in this community is a person who has a common interest, Ultima Online. That is the core of the purpose of this site.
  • The ROC and Moderation Process is also being scrutinized so as to be equally fair to the community and the staff. @Oscar the Grouch has already mentioned it so I won't elaborate. The community will be informed.
  • The navigation of content is being looked over and will be updated while the presentation of the content is being redesigned. This includes a sort of bridge between the forum and our content site. More on this will be posted in a separate thread.
  • The overall UX (User Experience) for Stratics is being carefully looked over and some features will be added to make all visits to Stratics more.... enjoyable (yes, a subjective term, but still is our goal).
  • I like Twinkies. :)
  • Security is always on our mind - from user identity to email notifications. That is part of the reason for maintenance this weekend - security can always use a boost. :)
  • Guild Features on Stratics will be looked at closely in the next few weeks. A separate thread will be posted for ideas either Monday or Tuesday.
  • StraticsPro is being looked over and will be reinstated. An announcement will be made then.
  • We are looking at an Event Calendar option that will be all inclusive.
  • After maintenance, conversation will be started on the Trades Board looking for community feedback on possible changes and upgrades.

I luv the suggestions, keep them coming! This weekend during our maintenance we are going to implement a few things that might not be immediately noticeable, but will impact everyone.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Is that all?

*winks* My last post was not directed at you Kirthag. Just the peanut gallery.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Oh, no... didn't see your post until after I posted Kelmo. No harm no foul, I... too... was posting to the peanut gallery. ;)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oh, no... didn't see your post until after I posted Kelmo. No harm no foul, I... too... was posting to the peanut gallery. ;)
One thing we're never short of around here is Nuts...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Limit all topics to 2 pages. It starts going downhill around page 3 and by page 4 it's either a flame fest or on a completely different topic.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
No they are not. They are getting cleaned up and condensed by Kirthag's own words. I was providing feedback, which is what this thread is supposed to be about. #BackOnTopic
Pretty sure this thread started as an announcement and somehow turned into an expression of ideas, so technically you would be off topic along with the thread...

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm going to start another thread and lock this one down as yes, it was basically for the announcement.

A lot of good ideas here folks, thank you! We've got them on a list.

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.