• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player News) An Apology For Letting My Lore Library Fall.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings Europa players,

As some of you will have known, I used to own an in game museum next to the Britain Swamps, displaying may rares (as well as many, many cow statues), and far more valuable in my eyes, the little books that had been written by players past and present, and which had been donated by many of you over the years to keep safe and be displayed for others to read in the future.

I stopped playing Ultima Online some time ago, as the magic was personally gone; I still have all the screenshots, documents, and memories of all the good times past stored away (and you can see some of my videos from public events I ran as a player here), but in order to keep the history of the game within the game itself for everyone else, I was dropping by every 3 months to re-sub, and to keep the Castle from dropping into IDOC state. The only visitors I'd see that day were of course the IDOCers checking it on the same time-table too, in order to loot and sell the items; but I hope that over the years those of more nostalgic intent visited, and found something inside to smile about, some echo of people they once knew in game...

I always meant to pass it on to someone else to maintain, when ever I decided to stop spending the money for what ever reason; I never got around to it however, as it meant spending time finding someone who still played as well, with a paid account, who could be trusted to think about the wealth of knowledge within as opposed to the real money value. I kept thinking "Maybe next month I'll be ready to call it a day."

However a combination of real life events, especially the constant electioneering in the UK which has left me extremely busy even with any free time I have (and a week to go yet!), led to me simply missing the manual payment and realising, a week or so later, the Castle was going to have gone.

In a way, it's a good thing for me, because I was holding on to something that had no value for me; I feel a little sad about some of the things, like the 4xGM chicken was in one of the Hutches, and that went toe to toe with the battle chickens at one of the last events I attended... but mostly I just don't feel anything much for myself. The behind the scenes stuff, and the absolute greed fueled disaster that was SotA after has burnt out much of my love for the settings. In a way, it's been kind of a relief to have to let go.

But I feel bad for the irreplaceable history for the server that was within. The Void Lobster on the wall was the first ever caught on Live across the entire game. And again, as always, the personal stories; the little romantic boxes that people had made for each other, with classic client jewel-artwork of teddy bears alongside soppy poems, and which had survived an IDOC before coming to me; and then potentially being lost again in mine. Odd books with single line puzzles, obviously part of some quest a player had made for another, which one day I wondered if someone would come back and remember what the solution to it was...

I feel guilty that all of that ended up lost due to simply not keeping track of the date. So, whilst I had a little time free today, I wanted to apologise to the server for letting it fall. I hope some of it made it's way to people who actually care for it.

And perhaps when it's time for the last waltz for UO, I'll pop by again to see it out, with that which made the game truly special; not ultimately the setting as such, but rather the people who put their hearts (and not their avarice) into the game in turn.

callum_fitzhugh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont feel bad.

My library in Malas went over a year ago and I didnt notice until someone on this forum alerted me.

My library had hundreds of player written books and reports. If not literally thousands.

I was sick with grief. Literally my blood ran cold. I felt sick to my stomach.

And then I felt so relieved. Its all over. Its gone. The old days of mass felucca hunts are gone. The RP days are gone. Most of the players are gone.

Time to move on.

Respect to you good sir for what you did for so much time.

I have been considering deleting my Stratics Account and havent logged into it for ages. But glad I didnt now as I can say this to you properly.

Move on and enjoy your real life.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Greetings Europa players,

As some of you will have known, I used to own an in game museum next to the Britain Swamps, displaying may rares (as well as many, many cow statues), and far more valuable in my eyes, the little books that had been written by players past and present, and which had been donated by many of you over the years to keep safe and be displayed for others to read in the future.

I stopped playing Ultima Online some time ago, as the magic was personally gone; I still have all the screenshots, documents, and memories of all the good times past stored away (and you can see some of my videos from public events I ran as a player here), but in order to keep the history of the game within the game itself for everyone else, I was dropping by every 3 months to re-sub, and to keep the Castle from dropping into IDOC state. The only visitors I'd see that day were of course the IDOCers checking it on the same time-table too, in order to loot and sell the items; but I hope that over the years those of more nostalgic intent visited, and found something inside to smile about, some echo of people they once knew in game...

I always meant to pass it on to someone else to maintain, when ever I decided to stop spending the money for what ever reason; I never got around to it however, as it meant spending time finding someone who still played as well, with a paid account, who could be trusted to think about the wealth of knowledge within as opposed to the real money value. I kept thinking "Maybe next month I'll be ready to call it a day."

However a combination of real life events, especially the constant electioneering in the UK which has left me extremely busy even with any free time I have (and a week to go yet!), led to me simply missing the manual payment and realising, a week or so later, the Castle was going to have gone.

In a way, it's a good thing for me, because I was holding on to something that had no value for me; I feel a little sad about some of the things, like the 4xGM chicken was in one of the Hutches, and that went toe to toe with the battle chickens at one of the last events I attended... but mostly I just don't feel anything much for myself. The behind the scenes stuff, and the absolute greed fueled disaster that was SotA after has burnt out much of my love for the settings. In a way, it's been kind of a relief to have to let go.

But I feel bad for the irreplaceable history for the server that was within. The Void Lobster on the wall was the first ever caught on Live across the entire game. And again, as always, the personal stories; the little romantic boxes that people had made for each other, with classic client jewel-artwork of teddy bears alongside soppy poems, and which had survived an IDOC before coming to me; and then potentially being lost again in mine. Odd books with single line puzzles, obviously part of some quest a player had made for another, which one day I wondered if someone would come back and remember what the solution to it was...

I feel guilty that all of that ended up lost due to simply not keeping track of the date. So, whilst I had a little time free today, I wanted to apologise to the server for letting it fall. I hope some of it made it's way to people who actually care for it.

And perhaps when it's time for the last waltz for UO, I'll pop by again to see it out, with that which made the game truly special; not ultimately the setting as such, but rather the people who put their hearts (and not their avarice) into the game in turn.
Hi :)

I was at your IDOC and managed to save some of the player written books that dropped, the rest were also taken so I think they should survive somewhere if people looked at the history rather than the monetary value. The scripters actually missed out on this one if that's any consolation to you so your stuff wasn't sold to fund the cheater's lifestyle. I picked up quite a few EM items which I sold to the guy who has the Navrey Hole in Ter Mur. Most of them were just laying on the floor as nobody had recognised them as being historic/valuable at all, so I am glad I was there. Your Soulstones I also saved and they are at the soulstone garden outside of Umbra. Finally I picked up a couple of sentimental items including two player made items, an embroidered Jester hat of Chuckles and a Blaze Tricorne hat with Vesper Horse race embroidered on it. I was hoping I would find the owner so I could give them back if they returned to the game so just let me know if you want them back.
Apart from that thanks for contributing the library to the game for as long as you did and I am sorry that you left for the reasons you did. Personally I am grateful that I found your place as it made me quite wealthy but I don't like profiting off someone leaving the game, personally I would have preferred if the repository had stood as it was for people to enjoy.
Wish you all the best for the future and maybe you will return someday.
Regards,
Loriel

amadus

Visitor
Seems like Spiritwood University also just fell - sad to see so much of Europa's lore and RP history going recently.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi :)

I was at your IDOC and managed to save some of the player written books that dropped, the rest were also taken so I think they should survive somewhere if people looked at the history rather than the monetary value. The scripters actually missed out on this one if that's any consolation to you so your stuff wasn't sold to fund the cheater's lifestyle. I picked up quite a few EM items which I sold to the guy who has the Navrey Hole in Ter Mur. Most of them were just laying on the floor as nobody had recognised them as being historic/valuable at all, so I am glad I was there. Your Soulstones I also saved and they are at the soulstone garden outside of Umbra. Finally I picked up a couple of sentimental items including two player made items, an embroidered Jester hat of Chuckles and a Blaze Tricorne hat with Vesper Horse race embroidered on it. I was hoping I would find the owner so I could give them back if they returned to the game so just let me know if you want them back.
Apart from that thanks for contributing the library to the game for as long as you did and I am sorry that you left for the reasons you did. Personally I am grateful that I found your place as it made me quite wealthy but I don't like profiting off someone leaving the game, personally I would have preferred if the repository had stood as it was for people to enjoy.
Wish you all the best for the future and maybe you will return someday.
Regards,
Loriel
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you; gosh, 3 months, time flies. Don't worry about returning anything to me, those items now have a new history with you, and I'm glad they've found a worthwhile owner. If you have any questions about any of the items you found, I'll try and answer them from memory.

The hat of chuckles was, I think, a gift from "Frodo" in game, I have him still active on Steam under a different name, but he's long since moved on. Got a real life, and married and everything! Anything found top left, in what would have been "The Tower Of Cow" was personal, either a gift or something outside of scripted events.
The Vesper Horse Races were, maybe, one of the events run by "Mic"...? Not sure. I believe Wanda hears from him occasionally, but he cut all ties to the game about the time something I think you all quietly know was decided. I have no link with him now alas.

I've got a tonne of archives from my time in game, as well as from something I think you all quietly know, so if ever anyone does any archival for Europa, let me know and I'll submit what I can.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The public charybdsis and other "fish related" events we did in the past....well it was good fun !
I still have the video of one of those hosted here, along with a few other UO videos. Yes, it was good fun indeed. You were one of the many good characters I met along the way, and I'll always be grateful for those memories...

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont feel bad.

My library in Malas went over a year ago and I didnt notice until someone on this forum alerted me.

My library had hundreds of player written books and reports. If not literally thousands.

I was sick with grief. Literally my blood ran cold. I felt sick to my stomach.

And then I felt so relieved. Its all over. Its gone. The old days of mass felucca hunts are gone. The RP days are gone. Most of the players are gone.

Time to move on.

Respect to you good sir for what you did for so much time.

I have been considering deleting my Stratics Account and havent logged into it for ages. But glad I didnt now as I can say this to you properly.

Move on and enjoy your real life.
I think it's a tribute to the quality of time spent as a community that we feel sick for it to have gone, even if briefly. I still miss a lot of people life has slowly washed me away from over the years, not for the material times, but the spirits behind them. I hope I added to that a little, but it's hard not to feel regret when something is over. But move on and create again, yes.

There will be a final chapter to be written when the entire game closes, I expect. But we all made it live until then. Best wishes, all!