• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

An amazing thing happened to my Smith today

• Thread starter uo addict
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
U

uo addict

He was at the bank in Luna, and somebody asked him to make a suit of armor!

I don't think that's happened in about five years. I was so surprised that I didn't even charge for the suit (who would know what to charge anyway?)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I've had that happen once or twice in the two years since I came back. Usually someone looking for a gm dull copper suit to train a new character in.

G

I wish it would happen more often. I use to enjoy those days in UO.

G

Ah the good old days. My smith has forgotten how to talk to players.

G

Probably some lunatic RPer, just put him on ignore the next time you run into him, and you'll be fine.

Actually with the arms lore changes, some of the mage armor SE armor sets are actually viable if still not comparable to barbed runic armor. On Siege where we got a slightly higher boost, I saw some nice sets of runic hammer/valorite ingot crafted plate armor made by legendary smiths, and various other colored plate sets. Of course that little boost in demand came also when valorite wasn't impossible to get, and one could fill BoDs for the lower end runic hammers without too much pain, which I understand isn't the case anymore.

-Skylark

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't think that's happened in about five years. I was so surprised that I didn't even charge for the suit (who would know what to charge anyway?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done a few for newb pally on Haven, and I even sold some GM armor that I put on vendors for new players here. So there are folks out there that still buy.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd love some decent platemail for some of my chars but all I ever see on vendors is leather. What kinda resists and mods can smith-made armor offer? Is it possible to get a platemail 70's suit with HP and Manna regen? Or pieces to go with Heart of the Lion and Leggings of Embers that would all match?

Safe Travels, Sam

G

<blockquote><hr>

I wish it would happen more often. I use to enjoy those days in UO.

[/ QUOTE ]Me to.

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

It is damn difficult to buy gm armor on most shards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless it was made with Runics.... Why would you want it for anything other than training, though?

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

It is damn difficult to buy gm armor on most shards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless it was made with Runics.... Why would you want it for anything other than training, though?

[/ QUOTE ] And when you find good GM+ metal armor made with a runic,with the mods you want,you will end up suffering from "sticker shock" because of the price.

Sam the Scribe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

...And when you find good GM+ metal armor made with a runic,with the mods you want,you will end up suffering from "sticker shock" because of the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I safe in assuming that the reason I never see metal armor comparable to leather is cause leather is so easy to harvest and by the time a smith finds enough suitable ore, and burns through a few tons of it to make an exceptional suit.. he would have to charge a billion gold just to cover time/materials?

Safe Travels, Sam

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

So am I safe in assuming that the reason I never see metal armor comparable to leather is cause leather is so easy to harvest and by the time a smith finds enough suitable ore, and burns through a few tons of it to make an exceptional suit.. he would have to charge a billion gold just to cover time/materials?

Safe Travels, Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much, yes. Unless they script. And I would LOVE to see the day they randomize LEATHER (And yes, I have a Tailor).

Other than that, odds of a smith making decent armor, or even ENHANCING something decent, are in my opinion, abysmal.

And again, the question remains: Why do you want metal armor? Only answer I can think of is "Because of it's looks" because:

1) Metal has no resistance benefits compared to leather (Thanks AoS!)
2) Metal is not medible, and EVERYTHING depends on mana, from special moves to spells (Thanks AoS!.. I think)

There are 3 types of Runics for Tailoring.. 9 for Smithing. Less probability for Runic tools, greater resource cost, less inherit usability (Mage Armor on Metal takes a way a Runic Property.. yay!), and greater difficulty in obtaining resistances and bonuses found more easily on leather armor.

I'm an RP nut, otherwise I'd be all Leather.. I see no other valid reason to have metal armor.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Safe Travels, Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much, yes. Unless they script. And I would LOVE to see the day they randomize LEATHER (And yes, I have a Tailor).

Other than that, odds of a smith making decent armor, or even ENHANCING something decent, are in my opinion, abysmal.

And again, the question remains: Why do you want metal armor? Only answer I can think of is "Because of it's looks" because:

1) Metal has no resistance benefits compared to leather (Thanks AoS!)
2) Metal is not medible, and EVERYTHING depends on mana, from special moves to spells (Thanks AoS!.. I think)

There are 3 types of Runics for Tailoring.. 9 for Smithing. Less probability for Runic tools, greater resource cost, less inherit usability (Mage Armor on Metal takes a way a Runic Property.. yay!), and greater difficulty in obtaining resistances and bonuses found more easily on leather armor.

I'm an RP nut, otherwise I'd be all Leather.. I see no other valid reason to have metal armor.

[/ QUOTE ] With the new addition of random ore now compared to leather farming its even harder for honest smiths to make profit from their efforts. Its alot easier to go to a dragons den and farm leather compared to a smiths "I wonder where I can find Valorite today?"

I

imported_spiderpig

Usually when some one asks for a suit they want all 70's , MR, etc...... I havent made a regular gm suit in ages.

G

I gave a new player a free suit of GM armor and he said, "Is that it?" I had the urge to kill him, since it was Fel but I figured despite being a new player, GM armor really does suck. So I didn't.

E

eolsunder1

Do it all the time with new players. Most of the time I do it in Haven, but once in a while some new player in Luna is running about and I make them up a set of armor because they have basic stuff on.

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like something to be enjoyed! Hope more strange and wonderous acts
will come your way.
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I gave a new player a free suit of GM armor and he said, "Is that it?" I had the urge to kill him, since it was Fel but I figured despite being a new player, GM armor really does suck. So I didn't.

[/ QUOTE ] You're kidding...right? Man talk about ungrateful.That person must suffer from the "I'm a customer" syndrome...you know the symptoms-Rudeness,stupidity,and those that suffer from customeritis tend to think that are doing you a favor by simply being there. Ok I digress.....

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

That person must suffer from the "I'm a customer" syndrome...you know the symptoms-Rudeness,stupidity,and those that suffer from customeritis tend to think that are doing you a favor by simply being there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like 99% of the people I encounter in real life, and sadly, on message boards.

The illusion of empowerment is a double-edged sword.

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

That person must suffer from the "I'm a customer" syndrome...you know the symptoms-Rudeness,stupidity,and those that suffer from customeritis tend to think that are doing you a favor by simply being there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like 99% of the people I encounter in real life, and sadly, on message boards.

The illusion of empowerment is a double-edged sword.

[/ QUOTE ]Thats why I can't wait to finish school. When I graduate,my job will entail working one on one with a client,not with "customers" so-to-speak that can't understand why I won't drop what I am doing for someone else who is first in line and come help them because they yelled "hey!!" in my direction.

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

Thats why I can't wait to finish school. When I graduate,my job will entail working one on one with a client,not with "customers" so-to-speak that can't understand why I won't drop what I am doing for someone else who is first in line and come help them because they yelled "hey!!" in my direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe.. Better hope you have more than one client, unless of course it's like Bill Gates or Warren Buffet. Suppose both shout "Hey".. who ya gonna answer?

Hunters' Moon

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I should have said "One client at a time". No distractions,no interuptions,no one being an ass to me because they know they can get away with it.

*Sighs* I hate the night before having to go back to work after a vacation is over,it makes me sick at my stomach literally.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

...And when you find good GM+ metal armor made with a runic,with the mods you want,you will end up suffering from "sticker shock" because of the price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Safe Travels, Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Leather is more in demand. It has the same stats as metal armor, can have all the mods, and is medable. The fact that you can have an all 70's suit without metal (which I believe was a TERRIBLE design flaw) breaks the system. Honestly, I believe that an all leather suit should be maxed out at 50 resist. Or maybe max out resist by type (example, leather would provide more resist from energy than metal).

Also, it is easier to get BRKits than Valorite Hammers.

U

uo addict

In every D&amp;D game I have seen (including the original Ultima series) mages are weaker and can't wear the heavier but stronger metal armor. They compensate for their lack of strength with magic. In the gaming world this is known as "balancing".

UO originally followed this model. Unfortunately, at some point some designer decided he (or she) knew better. Some strange design decisions were made at that time, including the nerfing of magic resistance, the sad loss of true magic reflection, etc. UO has better designers now, IMHO, and perhaps we will see some improvements in this area.

P

Paris_Hilton

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Safe Travels, Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

No its because valorite smith hammers are lots more rare than barbed kits.

I once read (on UO.com I think) that val hammers were released only once per year per shard (meaning that one last small bod needed to complete the large bod was only spawned once per year) because the devs didn't want the game overrun with uber items, although that may have changed since that was posted.

Why waste a val hammer's (worth $30 mill or so) 15 uses making metal armor that 9 times out of 10 will be nonmed and worthless to most players?

People with val hammers use them to make weapons, not metal armor.