• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

AMAZING, 4 threads on NL how wonderfully popular

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What a way to waste time Devs, no one is eagerly waiting, no one cares, how about you spend time working on THIS game we are playing?

Cant post on the crappy official forum as Petra just deleted and closes everything negative and follows instructions form master.

Devs dont check here either, just wanted to state the obvious.....

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Since there is hardly anything to talk about until it goes live I dont know what you expect. More people speculating and complaining? No one needs that.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What a way to waste time Devs, no one is eagerly waiting, no one cares, how about you spend time working on THIS game we are playing?

Cant post on the crappy official forum as Petra just deleted and closes everything negative and follows instructions form master.

Devs dont check here either, just wanted to state the obvious.....
I was utterly disappointed that NL was the announcement. It feels like a free shard to me, only we pay $. I think the suggestions they take from players are from a small group. UO needs a new lead developer Asap. Lots of people came back during Corona, and they are going to lose them if they cant fix the basic problems (VS, scripting, 2 different clients, duping, 3d party sales, etc). I'd probably trade my account for a telecaster now, UO will not survive with this dev team.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lol. that is true, I bet I will check it out, but sadly they will show you things, like weather graduation that they cannot code into our game, so it will be like dangling a carrot you will never catch

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I agree most people will check it out anyway but depending on content they might not stay long. I think it will really depend on how long it takes to build up because unless it's heavily enhanced I do not think many people will look to restart their progress every X months.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And it will be the most scripted shard of all time, people will come out of retirement to script the hell out of it and be the first GM *insert skill here* and within the 1st week or 2 the economy will almost certainly be completely controlled by the scripting massive.

To me this a RMT cash cow if ever I saw one, it's going to be a race to the top when it opens and everyone will want to be at the top first and if it means spending a little $ then they will.

When it goes live, the whining on the official boards and here will be beyond legendary! That's the bit I'm looking forward to.:popcorn:

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I have zero interest in it.

Now that we're in the post-holiday lull from January - October, I've cancelled 3 of my accounts. I may cancel the other two, depending on whether another event comes along. So discouraging; they had 4 overlapping events in December and now nothing. No Christmas gifts for the first time ever. I'm starting to believe the doomsayers who say UO is in its last days.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
still waiting for vet rewards, anyone have any info on what they are? what they look like?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
still waiting for vet rewards, anyone have any info on what they are? what they look like?
They are going to make the vet rewards just like the Xmas gift...you have to work for it via some dungeon :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

I'm fine with a month lull in between end of year stuff and the next event but there is part of me that thinks we might be in for much longer lull (possibly 3-4 months) since it seems like the Devs were in vacation mode all of December (which is odd because they also seemed to be in vacation mode from March-Aug too) and are just starting to formulate things now Jan-Feb. Hope I'm wrong about this but wouldn't surprise me if it's suddenly April and we still haven't had a new dynamic event.

AirFluff

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
« For the very first time there will be no veteran reward this year. We’ve done something different. »

Lol

Referring to Holiday token.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Here's a crazy idea ...
Instead of getting vet rewards , how about we get a 12 month boost in account age ? :rolleyes:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What would I care about more picks for if there isn't anything new to pick from????

I'm already sitting on about 50 picks as is... I honestly don't need any more picks... I need something worth picking.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What would I care about more picks for if there isn't anything new to pick from????

I'm already sitting on about 50 picks as is... I honestly don't need any more picks... I need something worth picking.
Exactly! Shard shields, have them all. Most of the newer mounts are @ss ugly. Something new worth picking.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I have zero interest in it.

Now that we're in the post-holiday lull from January - October, I've cancelled 3 of my accounts. I may cancel the other two, depending on whether another event comes along. So discouraging; they had 4 overlapping events in December and now nothing. No Christmas gifts for the first time ever. I'm starting to believe the doomsayers who say UO is in its last days.
Naaa..No need to discourage self or others.
There will be so much content coming up that you will not know what to do with it! Just a little patience goes a looooong way. A few weeks thats all.:)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Naaa..No need to discourage self or others.
There will be so much content coming up that you will not know what to do with it! Just a little patience goes a looooong way. A few weeks thats all.:)
Content on a shard many could care less about??? Like that is going to keep everyone paying them... sorry but no... Not interested in another shard... tired of the same ole bugs, excuses, and grinds... another dungeon with more pixel crack that should have been a gift rather than some grind in a dungeon that you are going to have to fight for space to hunt in or deal with people spawn jumping and pushing you out of where you are trying to hunt... rude, nasty behavior and anti-social behavior and then try to fight for space with all that in a limited environment with slow spawn rates... being frustrated and irritated trying to compete for space to farm something that will likely spend more time in a chest than being used... this seems like a good idea to some but not to me...

Personally, I'm trying to stop doing things I find irrational or frustrating as well as removing people from my life that I find "Toxic" to my sense of self-worth and all.. so yeah... think I'll pass...

Haven't heard squat about this NL shard that piques my interest or makes me think that wasting what little game time I have on some shard that won't be around in a year just really has little appeal. Having spent 20+ years on one shard... I honestly don't see how they are going to make me have any desire what-so-ever playing on a temp shard. And I'll be honest if they aren't working on an actual New Player Experience which is seriously needed... I find it a waste of time and energy... and a shard that has little to nothing to do with current shards isn't really doing a new player any favors teaching them the horrors of early UO life isn't going to endear many to UO... it will IMO have the opposite effect especially knowing how many of the perverted worst of the current shards are going to have a heyday preying on anyone over there who doesn't really know the in's and out's of the game... again I fail to see how making them victims of this sort of abuse will endear them to UO...

Sorry but that's my opinion... call me what you like but I simply don't care... I'm so done with the attitudes of many folks here and I just don't care what you think... or what you say on this forum or over on your open to any and all insults forum...

Calling out the DEVs on the BS is necessary... telling them it's great and patting them on the back for the lamest things and fawning all over them for doing next to nothing all year and then ****ting on us all by not giving us a Christmas gift is just the lowest of the low telling us how they did all this wonderful stuff for us... no they didn't... they did **** for themselves... making a plug and play to drop an "event" into any dungeon they want is the epitome of laziness... and they call that content... and you lap it up like a dog... I'm sorry but NO... NO NO NO... turning on old events to redo whatever... but saying they are doing all this stuff when really they aren't ... they sure got the wool over your eyes... but not me.

I'll continue to call BS where I see it and I have never seen so much as in the last year. This game has gone from circling the drain to circling the sewer... But yeah as long as they keep cranking out the drops every month at the EM events for the 12 people that pay for 15 accounts each to farm all so people on their own shards (Who actually care about the story and participation and work that went into it) won't have a snowballs chance in a volcano of getting a drop it's all great... you just keep telling yourself that...

Nothing will change until we all either speak with our money by dumping accounts... or speak with a clear voice and tell them NO this isn't a direction you should be going... we want real content... we aren't interested in excuses anymore etc... but sadly there are too many in the inner circle who do nothing but butt kiss... and there are even more who are too afraid to upset the top dog that they just don't say anything... If they can't handle the pressure maybe they aren't in the right profession...

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'll be playing. So I'm happy some of you won't be. LOL

I'm making some assumptions here, but I assume it will be a gathering shard for everyone to play with seasonally and once season ends you can transfer off some things/titles to your home shard for your house. That's how I read it anyways. I plan on, if my assumptions are even near correct, putting up the biggest house I can find on a semi-dead server and playing mostly on NL and the server in between seasons/updates.

Last edited:

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards

At this stage there's not anything they can add to please you and others like you now is there ?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I'm sure they could actually give us more concrete information since they must have been working on this for a year now, pretty sure they weren't working on much else last year. Lack of communication is the norm for UO though and they seem to enjoy keeping everything secret instead of creating some anticipation by giving regular progress reports, of course that assumes it is something worth looking forward to...;)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Stop complaining and wait until it is here. Even speculating seems like a waste of time honestly.
Vaporware, ATM. And if it follows true to course with most things, it will eventually become a reality (late) and be overthought and half-assed. And if it ever comes to pass, will be interesting to watch and laugh as reported bugs are ignored, and then actually carried over from season to season.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I'm sure they could actually give us more concrete information since they must have been working on this for a year now, pretty sure they weren't working on much else last year. Lack of communication is the norm for UO though and they seem to enjoy keeping everything secret instead of creating some anticipation by giving regular progress reports, of course that assumes it is something worth looking forward to...;)
I really suspect that the prototype is there already. I think the task of initial tweaks and adds to it, are likely time consuming, in order to do a halfway decent job of presenting it possibly on TC1 or some other test version. Re-programming also is another possibility from the C or C# code to the awesome Python code. Thats a pretty high level language, totally different graphics engines and easier to document program units. Maybe just wishful thinking, but pretty massive task to reverse-engineer the initial code, reprogram it with a different model language, then tweak, and add the thousands of mini-adventures/encounters that make up UO, and then add more to make it sort of a new experience.
ALL of this is just my conjecture and guesswork, with no facts at all available so far.
Couple this with the fact that likely there are only 1.5 programmers involved, plus the level or criticism and toxicity they get from both the "uo board" and also here, not too hard to see why taking one year to give birth to it.
Also I know that a couple of high-school kids can set up a uo server on their computer tweak and launch a version of uo in a week or two from their basement computer etc. But they go no-one to answer to really. They cannot get fired by themselves etc. They really have not got much to lose either way. But UO is UO, lots of shards and players, and, they do have a boss company that must be kept happy for the most part. They likely have their own in-company agreements, contracts and meetings they must keep up with. They are likely trying to produce some quality product and test before launching. They must try to avoid negative reviews and negative press, in order to attract new players.
The idea of a re-initializable shard is not unheard of also. There are some other much older MMO's there that have done it, also lasting one year, only at the end of the year there is complete wipe of everything, with NO carry over to regular shards of anything at all. Yet people played it to my surprise, even though that new shard was really tougher, and everyone know ahead of time the shard would be wiped.

I would vote to just be patient and hold our undies on and wait a little more.

Reactions: dvv

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I just don't get all the cloak and dagger stuff we have to get through before we get any info, just talk to us already, yeah I am an impatient person. I just remember all the months we waited for 'the big announcement' and I felt so let down. :rolleyes:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just don't get all the cloak and dagger stuff we have to get through before we get any info, just talk to us already, yeah I am an impatient person. I just remember all the months we waited for 'the big announcement' and I felt so let down. :rolleyes:
The big announcement was that there would be a big announcement lol

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re-programming also is another possibility from the C or C# code to the awesome Python code. Thats a pretty high level language, totally different graphics engines and easier to document program units. Maybe just wishful thinking, but pretty massive task to reverse-engineer the initial code, reprogram it with a different model language, then tweak, and add the thousands of mini-adventures/encounters that make up UO, and then add more to make it sort of a new experience.
Or I dunno just steal any one of the viable free shard servers and use those?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I feel like they had this grand idea in their head with all these great intentions, but they haven't actually done it so they don't know how concrete of things they can promise or show. I used to do that all the time where I'd tell someone something I was going to do rather than what I had done. Gaming companies do it a lot.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Or I dunno just steal any one of the viable free shard servers and use those?
No because this will lead to risk for lawsuit by people that think they have nothing to lose by that and everything to gain by suing a legit. large company.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No because this will lead to risk for lawsuit by people that think they have nothing to lose by that and everything to gain by suing a legit. large company.
It would be difficult to sue a company for IP theft regarding illegal works on the very same IP you stole from them...

EA clearly has zero interest in protecting its older IPs though, so ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Not sure what you mean by IP, but EA stealing software (both client and server side) from one of the free shards or even the open source code uo out there, EA would subject themselves to a copyright infringement lawsuit. EA is a huge company with deep pockets, lots of $$. They would be forced to use a legal firm to battle this out, and the lawyers fees would be, as usually outrageous. The little guys, with the free shard on the other hand, have nothing to lose, and not need an expensive lawyer etc. Would be a serious mistake for EA to steal any code at all.
If there is such a lawsuit and there is even minimal evidence to merit litigation, the large $$ company usually would settle "out of court" such as pay $50,000 or something just to avoid a 5-year litigation, and paying attorneys fees that would run into some serious sums. They would not dare risk such a damage to their company, and this may mean the end also, sadly. So no, it cannot happen.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not sure what you mean by IP, but EA stealing software (both client and server side) from one of the free shards or even the open source code uo out there, EA would subject themselves to a copyright infringement lawsuit. EA is a huge company with deep pockets, lots of $$. They would be forced to use a legal firm to battle this out, and the lawyers fees would be, as usually outrageous. The little guys, with the free shard on the other hand, have nothing to lose, and not need an expensive lawyer etc. Would be a serious mistake for EA to steal any code at all.
If there is such a lawsuit and there is even minimal evidence to merit litigation, the large $$ company usually would settle "out of court" such as pay $50,000 or something just to avoid a 5-year litigation, and paying attorneys fees that would run into some serious sums. They would not dare risk such a damage to their company, and this may mean the end also, sadly. So no, it cannot happen.
They'd need to register a copyright... of something they created for/in someone else's application. Good luck with that. I'm not bored enough to go find the clause or if it exists in the terms, but I'm pretty sure they broke EA's copyright even making code for the game. They could even have language in the terms that gives them immediate ownership of anything anyone writes for their software. Blizzard did it for Warcraft 3 Reforged.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They'd need to register a copyright... of something they created for/in someone else's application. Good luck with that. I'm not bored enough to go find the clause or if it exists in the terms, but I'm pretty sure they broke EA's copyright even making code for the game. They could even have language in the terms that gives them immediate ownership of anything anyone writes for their software. Blizzard did it for Warcraft 3 Reforged.
Intellectual property? And yes, there is also a copyright issue with the FS and the objects used in-game. They appear to be UO - ie, the ones designed by Origin and owned by EA - and that could be a sticking point.

@celticus I don't believe EA would have issues with open source code but I think would have to show the ownership of sprites, etc used with it.