• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Am I wrong to expect a tip?

B

Bo Riddler

Well I was in Gatgetzan last night checking mail on my 47th Warlock. I was only on for a second to check mail but then I was politely asked by a couple of Level 62 Dwarves to help them Summon one of their friends.

Seeing their golden armor, full pouches and shiney weapons, I thought for sure I was going to get some coin. I said sure and we partied up. We ended up pulling two of their guildys from a distant land to us in Gagetville.

A simple thanks and the four of them walked away.

A quick thanks and wham they were gone. I felt so, so, so broke.

I honestly expected some form of payment, I never asked ahead of time but assumed I would be paid for my skills used.

So you thoughts, was it wrong of me to assume 4 62's would tip me? Should I establish a price before hand? Am I being greedy?

Mages get paid normally for portals, and often for food/water. Why not for my Summons?

This is a light hearted discussion by the way, I am not bent.

Bo

G

MAges get paid because portals, frankly, Cost money in resources.

Warlocks, however, summon only with the use of a soul shard, which costs you nothing and is relatively easy to get. Warlocks also require the help of two others to summon the person

Mages resources for portals are expensive. And they only require the knowledge and themselves to do it.

A bit of a difference.

Some people will pay you,most will not because it doesnt really cost you anything to do it.

B

Bo Riddler

Great point, but its a skill that they obviously dont have, and without me or another Lock to help them, they'd be paying that flight master 15-20 silver and loose 15 min? to get to where their friends are. And Mages can only Portal to the big cities, I can be anywhere and pull 'em.

So in that, isn't their time saved worth something?

Bo

B

Bo Riddler

Forgot to make this point, sorry for double post one after my own but

<blockquote><hr>

Warlocks also require the help of two others to summon the person

[/ QUOTE ]

Something I guess I didn't have in my original post, the first Dwarf that needed his friend pulled, asked me to make a party. In other words while he went to his mailbox, I gathered a volunteer from the AH and then pulled his friend.

After his first friend arrived, then we could pull the next one without asking for help from others.

Bo

G

Just remember, a tip is just that. A tip. It's given out of their own hearts. Had you said "Yes I'll summon for X gold" it would be different. Instead you're hoping for someone to tip you. And most warlocks I know that are 60s dont even ecxpect to be tipped, they just help out because it doenst cost them anything.

G

Time and effort = tip

just my opinion

you're providing a service for someone, tip should be without question and in bad taste if not given, even if its just a few silver.

when you need an enchant, even when you have the mats do you not tip them for their time?

G

On a side note, I have been tipped recently. Any where from 50 silver to 5g to summon someone where I was at.

It's been a complete surprise for the 5g tips. Heh.

I

imported_Dellamorte

I usually tell univited summons /tells that I am not summon spec'd.

G

o_O

That's ummmm....okay.

All Locks can summon...that's just silly.

My theory is if you want to be paid for services rendered, tell them up front "I'll summon if you pay X amount and get two people to help summon." It's worked every time

I

imported_Dellamorte

<blockquote><hr>

o_O

That's ummmm....okay.

All Locks can summon...that's just silly.

My theory is if you want to be paid for services rendered, tell them up front "I'll summon if you pay X amount and get two people to help summon." It's worked every time

[/ QUOTE ]
No kidding all 'locks can summon. It is a sarcastic joke reserved for the annoying. It's even amusing when you run across someone who doesn't know all 'locks can summon.

Really though.. if I'm in the bush and don't feel like going out of my way to summon someone somewhere, I really don't feel like dealing with some annoying simp who won't take no for an answer, which in my experience is 80% of the population.

Occasionally I will grant a summon, but really only when I feel like it. I am not obligated and I am not a taxi. Getting a /tell that says 'DoOd.. summmon me nooww' is not a way to garner my good will.

The other thing to do with annoying summonee's is to cast unending breath on me and my mates, swim down as far as possible to the deepest hole i can find and then summon them. And then maybe offer to cast unending breath on them for a nominal 5g charge. Warlock evil at its finest.