• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Am I the only one experiencing lag and/or bored ?

Lady Lava

UO Senior News Reporter
Alumni
Greetings all you wonderful people on Great Lakes.

I have some rather sad news to report. For over three weeks I have had lag while in Luna where I own three plots, peerless and champs. Unlike when I first started playing this game I have no problems dieing and I have died a lot the past year. My play style changed over a year ago when I started spending time in the realm with other players doing different things.

On the lag issue, I have a new computer that was custom designed for gaming.
I do live in California and play Great Lakes 80% of the time but I do not see why that should be a factor. Am I the only one having lag of late ??? When attending player run events such as weddings, auctions, Monday Night Madness I have no lag.

If anyone has any insight or help on this topic I would greatly appreciate it.
Since peerless bosses are my things it is rather annoying to move, freeze, move freeze over and over again.

What this has done has made me spend less time in the realm. Most of the readers know I am a professional artist in real life. I have a solo show in New Zealand in September this year. I also am in a group show in Chicago and will have work in a museum in Japan in 2008. On top of all this I have started a thing I call " VISUAL JOURNALING" on January 1st. This entails me making a 5 x 5 inch work of art every single day during 2008 and a gallery in California has already promised to give me a solo exhibition of all 365 works in 2009.

I work full time at a plastic surgeons office and write for two newspapers.
Writing for Stratics has always been fun and a great release for me. I can write/publish/articles quickly getting News to the players of GL fast on events without torturing myself over typos, sentence structure or editors approval. Most of the readers of Great Lakes have appreicated my time spent. Often my News articles are fluff but sometimes fluff is what is needed. I do so love Great Lakes and have fun on Catskills.

Sorry to ramble on but I have been playing this game for seven years and this is the very first time I have lost interest. It is rather shocking to me. Hopefully it is just a phase. At first I thought it was my lag issue but it appears to be more. However it is no fun logging on and feeling handicapped.

If you do not see me around much hopefully this post will explain why. I will post news sent in and attend player run events I am invited to. I am not going anywhere but not around as much. The new boyfriend comes into factor too.
As stated earlier hopefully this is a phase.

p.s. I have road runner cable and will try and get the folks out to see if there is an issue there. Finding the time is difficult however.

I

imported_lady michelle

Malas has always been laggy for me, even with my new puter. before I log in to play everyday. I delete all cookies, and files then I run disk clean up, and lavasoft to make sure theres no files in my puter thats not suppose to be there. and every week I defrag my puter to. Since I run the vacuum to vacuum the floor in here every week my puter also gets vacuum out and my keyboard. I also turn my puter off every night when Im done. When Im brother built my puter it has not made one single noise at all. Its been 3 years and my puter still runs the same as when I first got it. So try all this and see if this helps

K

Kratos Aurion

ok lets narrow the problem down from your life story to why youre experiencing lag. *congrats on the success btw*

yes it does matter where your location is vs where the shard server is located.
the data takes longer to travel back and fourth, going through considerable more router hops making the process slower.

-this also means your data travels different paths each time its sent/recieved which may explain why you get lag spikes.

Also there has been a lot of lag lately. The shard was down a few days ago, and the log-in server. It could be server side issues, or a lot people may be using your ISP at a single time causing lag. You may also be exceeding your limited bandwith causing your internet to work slower.

There is a large scale of problems that could be wrong. Internet lag usually has nothing to do with system performance unless you have a very slow processor or low ram so I cant see your computer really being the factor, especially if its a custom set too maximum settings.

G

I am so bored I came back here to troll...
WTB SUNWELL PLATEAU NOW DAMMIT.
That is all.

G

Nope you're not alone Lava. Sadly during the afternoon(Saturday) I got stuck while entering the tree in Blighted Grove. Froze up and crashed. Sure enough as soon as I got back in I found myself FDAU inside the grove where a Coil abused my Archer's bod to no end.

If there is some lag it means GL is getting active again. Albeit the lag sucks, the increased traffic is awesome. Now if only EA would allow In-game Event managers to come back and give the masses something fun to do. :-(

Best wishes..

G

<blockquote><hr>

That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh how I miss you and Neo.. =\

D

DougAlmighty13

Here ya go, Lava. Whenever you get to the point that you're lagging like that, shut down and test your connection here. Pick the closest server to you and see what you're running. If it's running fast, like over 2 meg download, and over 500K upload, then it's the UO Servers. Otherwise, it's your ISP. Also, keep in mind, UO depends alot on upload speeds, so if your download is good, but your upload is crappy, then you will lag. One more thing, if you run Norton Antivirus, it pretty much cuts your connection in half. And the new ICQ bogs me down as well. Hope this helps.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ssshhhhh we are blast from the past. it's possible you only imagined us! If you here from Neo at all tell him i said hola!

Lady Lava

UO Senior News Reporter
Alumni
Thank you for your suggestions! That goes for everyone.

I called my cable company this morning and they did a test on my modem from thier end and stated there was a problem. I have not had the time yet to go into the realm but if my problem persists they say they will come and give me a new modem. Hopefully it is fixed now.
As I stated earlier I have a new computer and it is designed by a geek friend of mine to be a gaming monster, lol.

G

Too bad they didn't recommend another trip to Egypt to cure that lag!

I

imported_herc

<blockquote><hr>

For over three weeks I have had lag while in Luna where I own three plots, peerless and champs.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the new boobs.. you'll get used to it

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ssshhhhh we are blast from the past. it's possible you only imagined us! If you here from Neo at all tell him i said hola!

[/ QUOTE ]

i talk to neo quite frequently on icq. :&gt;

G

That test says I download at 9613kb/sec and upload at 949kb/sec.

I guess my connection is good?

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Lava!

I hope you're recuperating well! I too live on the west coast, and I have been experiencing crippling lag the last few weeks. I know the solar flare was a big culprit till the 15th, and it has lessened since then…but it’s still annoying!

My ‘puter is massively overpowered for playing UO – and I’m one of the few people for whom KR runs perfectly (as perfectly has a half-finished bug-riddled client can…
)

I hope your bored phase passes quickly, or the next patch brings you back with its event…

Till then, be well!

Lady Lava

UO Senior News Reporter
Alumni
Thank you for your kind thoughts Martyna. I am feeling great...just a little sore.
Hopefully my recent time spent out of the realm.......will make me return with a fresh eye and focus. I have been to busy to miss it and it appears my modem is working as it has in the past so when I start hunting again I will be lag free.

*keeps fingers crossed *