• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Always on top behavior + why not my primary monitor

Qyra

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I've noticed recently, maybe the last big patch with the new UI. The client wants to always be on top, not a big deal, in fullscreen you can still alt tab out but I usually play windowed mode and use a program to make it appear fullscreen(no borders). I can't bring up any windows over the client window now, also not a big deal with more than one monitor but here as well a little issue, for some reason the client wants to avoid monitor 1. I have to disable other monitors till i load up client so the client sees only my primary monitor. Once I'm logged into the game i can reactivate the other monitors and it will stay on the main monitor, allowing me to open browsers and videos and whatnot on other monitors. It was always moving to another monitor whenever i would zone or switch to full screen. Not an urgent issue of course, and in no way will this make me stop playing the game haha, but it is annoying and could possibly be annoying more than just me. For now I do have this work around, so it's all good :) just thought i'd let you know.

ALinkToTheFuture

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Oh. That's a bug? Here I was thinking that it was the dev's way of making us play the game more... Heh... Yeah It's annoying ^_^

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the report! (Are you the same person that put in the in-game ticket?) Unfortunately I don't have any control over the full-screen-ness or on-top-ness, that's all in the low-level multi-platform parts of Unity. (The choice of which monitor is also low-level, though I may have some control over it, I'll check.)

This bug must have occurred when I got the latest bug-fix of Unity a week or two ago. Ironically the bug fix was ALSO related to being in full screen -- if you alt-tabbed out of full screen, the game would go into suspended mode, and no code would run, even in the background. So the server thought you were no longer responding to network messages, and would hang up on you. I had to hack the server to work around that issue. (Which, by the way, is why you can't log back in immediately if you really are disconnected -- the server can't tell the difference between real disconnects and people who are just alt-tabbed and suspended, due to that bug. I haven't gotten around to removing the hack yet.)

Apparently there were side effects... they seem to be more on top of bugs now, so hopefully they'll be fixed sooner than the previous one, which took like six months!

Qyra

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
No I didn't post about it in game. You have more important things to worry about, I'll look into a temporary fix for it and post on here for anyone else having the issue, from what i read unity is aware of the issues, so perhaps in a future unity update they will be fixed permanently. I guess it's only a windows issue, has been fixed for linux. Poor windows always left in the dust with software that can also run on linux :)

Qyra

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
lol kay, for the game wanting to always run on the other monitor, apparently its the left most monitor that it wants to run on, by placing the lower resolution monitor to the right(or toward the right, i placed it underneath on the right side) on nvidia control panel->set up multiple displays. thats all good now :D

Pcuvush

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I reported the in-game bug.

I am using one monitor. The behaviour made it impossible for me to record an in-game video (I used VLC and it recorded, but all I saw in the end was my blank desktop). It also disconnects background processes from the internet. Switching to other applications, like a browser, is not possible.
So it is quite annoying. I am not sure how long that behaviour is implemented, since I was not online very often the last few days/weeks.

Qyra

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
the software i use to make windowed appear fullscreen also stopped working ugh, damn you unity!