• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Alt accounts?

P

Polly

Does anyone know much about alt accounts? Is an alt account completely seperate from your main account? What are the benefits of having an alt?

Can you play both at once on the same computer?

I've been thinking about making an alt to help test some of the stuff I've been making, particularly when I come to set things for sale. Thats one benefit I can see to an alt account, but am curious what the others might be.

Polly

F

Flippers

I made one to test. You can associate 5 logins for yourself from what I know.

The advantage is the first thing you thought of: experimenting without messing around with your main avatar's identity.

I made snurky snoodle for that. Then again she's become very much her own character in the process.

There is an advantage when you want to work with land. You can expand your mainland empire by an additional 10% if you contribute your land to a group (which can be a group of your alts). But warning: read everything there is to know about group land before you accidentally put your land on the market while transferring and some landbot grabs it, or you default on your monthly tier if there's an exceptional method to pay with groups.

Same computer? Well i dont know how strong yours is, but Torley uses three avatars at once in his video tutorials sometimes, but says he has two monitors for his computer.

There are specific guidelines and rules of etiquette in having an alt, including not to use it to fool people or stalk/harass.

W

Wyld Cherry

You can play 2 or more alts at the same time. I have a code you put into the SL button on your desktop but man which alt is it on LoL

I haven't played that alt in a LONGGGGG time lol

but i pay for 2 alt's right now but I need to pay for my husband's soon lol but I am too lazy lol snarl

E

Edward Hefner

Alt accounts are a good thing to have. I have a couple myself for storage and to get away from the madness. To open more than one client at a time all you would have to do is right click the shortcut on the desktop and select properties. What you would have to do is change the target to say -multiple after the path. if you have any more questions feel free to IM me in game my name is Jake Cosmo. :pint:

K

Katheryne

I have an alt account now, and let me tell you - It is so fun watching (making) my avatars interact with each other!

For Linux users: You can open multiple viewers by launching the first viewer and issuing the following command in a terminal:
Code:
rm ~/.secondlife/logs/SecondLife.exec_marker
I've only tried it with two, but it's possible you may have to issue that command following the launch of each viewer instance.

P

Polly

Thats really good to know Edward, thanks :)

It will be useful to check poses in the stuff I'm making, without having to wait for friends to be online to help out. Of course its more fun to ask friends, but sometimes I'm impatient to finish something !

Polly