• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

All macros and settings gone?

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today my computer crashed. Upon re-booting it and loading up UO (Through PincoUI Auto-Patcher) I had to tell UO to use the Pinco Custom UI again. The char I was on when I crashed still has all of his macros and settings. However my main char (one i have spent hours making macros and getting his hot bars etc set just right) has lost all of his setting/macros. The resolution has also changed too for this char.

Is it possible to somehow retrieve my settings and macros?

Last edited:

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Today my computer crashed. Upon re-booting it and loading up UO (Through PincoUI Auto-Patcher) I had to tell UO to use the Pinco Custom UI again. The char I was on when I crashed still has all of his macros and settings. However my main char (one i have spent hours making macros and getting his hot bars etc set just right) has lost all of his setting/macros. The resolution has also changed too for this char.

Is it possible to somehow retrieve my settings and macros?
the game save the settings/macros only when you close it properly... so if it is crashed before a proper closure it's all lost.
if the pc has been shutdown during a save it could have damaged the settings file, and at the first login the game remakes it as blank and save it when you close the game...
so in both cases, unless you don't have a backup, the settings are lost irreversibly.

oh and before someone starts to whining about my UI: this happen also with the default one, is how the game has been made.

Last edited:

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the game save the settings/macros only when you close it properly... so if it is crashed before a proper closure it's all lost.
if the pc has been shutdown during a save it could have damaged the settings file, and at the first login the game remakes it as blank and save it when you close the game...
so in both cases, unless you don't have a backup, the settings are lost irreversibly.

oh and before someone starts to whining about my UI: this happen also with the default one, is how the game has been made.
I never doubted your UI :). I just have never used vanilla EC so I figured the best place to ask was here.

These also weren't newly created macros that didn't have a chance to properly save. What is weird is I rebooted the game and all of my char but my main had their settings/hot-bars/macros etc. return. However, my main didn't and started off fresh which is weird because I wasn't even on that char. Many people in-game suggested system restore as that had fixed similar issues for them but nothing worked. For some reason it just wasn't pulling that one char file anymore.

What I ended up doing was copying my sampires file and rename it after my main. This at least restored my settings and hot-bar placement, now I just need to redo the hot-bar icons and macros.

And yes, this time, I made a backup of all my char files.

T

Tazar

You can find the character/macro files in the mydocuments folder. I typically make a copy of these files on a flashdrive so that I can reinsert them as needed - or copy them to the laptop or a new computer when needed.