• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

All For One

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It has been several days now and I am still unable to shake the image of Silvara impaling herself on Mylar’s blade. And if I am effected so much I cannot imagine the pain and guild Mylar may be enduring. She had been trying to convince the young woman not to do anything rash, and to look instead towards the new life she was hoping to start for herself.

The night started in Olympus. I arrived just after the blue demon had attacked the area. Piper seemed to be injured, but stood stoically listening to the chatter going on. She then asked if we could all come inside Galehaven seeing that many were without armor and some already injured. If the beast returned, as it often did, there would be a chance for great harm and possible loss of life.

As we all filed into the Tavern, I sat at a table and listened to what was being said by those who had witnessed the attack, and about the raid by the Rangers which had resulted in the druid Cian being recaptured. It seemed they were taking him to a shrine in Spiritwood, and it was feared his life would end there. Plans were being made to rescue the Druid, and all that was now wanting was the arrival of Tserim.

When the young Ranger arrived, those taking part in the raid stood to go outside. Looking towards Izznet, who had arrived shortly before Tserim I suggested she return to Aegis, and walked outside to join the others. I know she may not have understood my reasons, but I had helped in the raid against the courthouse that helped to free Cian before, and felt that I should follow through with the others. If she had come along, and fighting started I would be torn in my loyalties as to who to safeguard, and someone through my actions or inactions might be harmed. Luckily, she nodded and headed back to the Rest.

It was a short ride to the shrine from Galehaven, and as we arrived we were greeted by Mitre, Mylar, Scarst and various others. The druid was there, stripped of his clothing, hands tied. Close by stood the lass Silvara. It was clear that Mitre was irritated at our arrival as he stood forth to face our group.

None of us needed say anything. We were lucky in that Kodoz was among our numbers. The seasoned veteran of many campaigns was well versed in negotiating a prisoner’s release. He tried to reason with Mitre, asking that the Druid be handed over to us. A fair trial could be held. Mitre had already commented that the Druid was mad which prompted Kodoz to ask why a mad man would be allowed to choose trial by combat?

The Keeper of the Rangers looked to those of us there who had been at the courthouse and reminded us that we had been banished from the lands. To this it was pointed that the woods did not belong to the Rangers, but to the king.

Calli, who knew Silvara and the damage that had already been wrought in her name stood by telling the woman that many had already died because of her. She asked how many others must die in her stead. Mylar spoke of how Silvara wanted to change and improve herself and her life. But it was how her life would be spared that bothered most in our group.

Also there, was one that some have called the zealot. A spirit who claimed that to save the woods the druid must die. The demon had been bound to Silvara, and only through her death would the beast also be vanquished. The Rangers plan was to use some sort of ritual to pass the bond to the demon from Silvara to Cian, and then to put the man to death thus also killing the creature that had been attacking most of the towns.

To be rid of the demon would be a blessing. But to trade one life for another to do so was simply wrong. Kodoz pointed this out and suggested that perhaps an answer which would spare both lives would be found in a library. It was then pointed out to Mitre that we outnumbered the Rangers there and he was asked again to turn the druid into our custody. I was relieved when Mitre complied. For in truth, I did not wish to fight any of those present. But though a battle might result in others falling to save one man, sometimes for justice to be done time and events demand some sacrifice.

Once the Druid was standing with us I thought we would return to Olympus. But Cian had other ideas and turned again to face the Rangers. As he spoke, tensions grew among all there. It was then that Silvara started saying that too many had died because of her, and she could not see any more fall. Mylar was trying to calm the lass.

How distraught must this young woman have been? What voices whispering into her ears moved her mind and hands to such an action? Taking hold of Mylar’s blade, she swiftly turned the point towards her and impaled herself. This did not do what she thought it would. Instead Mitre jumped forward and killed the Druid.

All that happened next did so in the blink of an eye. A dragon attacked Mitre, and he turned and attacked the Keeper. Kodoz called for him to cease and he said not till all the Yewians were dead. He then turned his attentions towards James. This I could not allow, and I gave chase putting myself between James and Mitre’s blade. We fought back and forth for a time, neither of us able to take down the other. Several times, Mitre suddenly stopped and looked towards me. I sat looking his way hoping that he would forego this action and return to the shrine. As we got closer to where the others stood, someone called for a halt, so I checked my mount, and stood along the others looking towards where Silvara lay. Mitre then said that he would be coming to Yew to kill us all. To this I replied saying if you come to Yew in that manner you will die, and I will mourn your passing. I was grateful to hear Kodoz say also they would be there to defend Yew. Tserim stayed behind with the body of his friend Cian. Mitre’s aim had been true, and there was no chance of saving him.

Attempts were made to stem the flow of blood, but nothing seemed to help. The lass was for all who could see, dead. Kodoz spoke of a devise in Olympus that might revive her, so all of us, including the Rangers and Mitre followed as Kodoz bore the body of Silvara back to the house of healing. Much effort was put into returning the heartbeat to Silvara. Any medical knowledge learned through years of striving to mend the ravages of war were employed. But in the end, Silvara was declared dead, and Mitre walked off into the night.

I have watched many die during my long life. And never have I been so moved to tears as through the passing of Silvara. She sought at the end to make amends for what she saw as her crimes against others. Her compassion burned bright in the end and she could not allow any more to die in her stead. And harm she brought, she paid for dearly. And sins she had been redeemed in that one act of sacrifice.

But was it in the end for naught?

Mitre struck down the Druid, something she gave her life to prevent. He has vowed to attack those he sees as having been responsible for what happened. What I wonder would she say to him regarding the path he has now set himself on?

I did not know her well, but I will grieve her passing and ask that whatever deity she serves will guide her spirit to a gentle rest. And I will keep sharp my blade and hope that I will not need use it to lay more lives at Silvara’s headstone.