• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

All 8 rear USB ports don't work :*(

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was pvping & my mouse wheel stopped working. Been having problems w/ the computer for a month or so. Built it in April, it's not that old. Well usually I restart computer 7 everything works fine again. This time I didn't feel like restarting so I unplugged the mouse & went to replug it in. There was a little electric spark look, like something grounded out or shorted & none of the 9 USB ports, or mouse/keyboard ports work.

I got all the front 4 working for keyboard/mouse/wireless so all is well for now, but typically when something like that happens is there a way to reset anything? Maybe a specific jumper to pull? There's JUSBPWR1 & JUSBPWR2 connection points but this is all the manual says:

JUSBPWR1/JUSBPWR2: Power Source Headers for USB Ports
Pin 1-2 Close:
JUSBPWR1: +5V for USB ports at JUSB1/JUSBLAN1.
JUSBPWR2: +5V for USB ports at front panel (JUSB2/JUSB3/JUSB4).
Pin 2-3 Close:
JUSBPWR1: +5V STB for USB ports at JUSB1/JUSBLAN1.
JUSBPWR2: +5V STB for USB ports at front panel (JUSB2/JUSB3/JUSB4).

I don't know the difference between +5V & +5V STB lol... Not sure if that will fix anything or change anything though.

Anyone got any ideas? I ordered a new barebone last week, so it should be here any day. But this one is supposed to be the vent/map server for my guild. It's a good pc 4gb ram, amd quadcore phenom, but i guess the motherboard is junk or damaged in the rear USB & PS2Mouse/Keyboard ones from this incident.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Have you tried blowing out the ports with canned air, updating the motherboard bios, and updating/reinstalling the USB controllers?

That spark might have corrupted the MB bios, or the USB controllers.

If that doesn't fix it, I recommend the ULTRA 7 port USB 2.0 card that I got from Tiger Direct a month or so ago. It's got 4 external ports, 1 internal port, PLUS its own USB 2.0 controller and the pins to plug another USB 2.0 device in (like the cord running from front-mounted USB ports, or one of those USB/multi-card reader combos that many box computers seem to ship with).

It cost, when I ordered it, $14.99 (plus shipping, but I got it with an order of about $100 worth of stuff)

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you tried blowing out the ports with canned air, updating the motherboard bios, and updating/reinstalling the USB controllers?

That spark might have corrupted the MB bios, or the USB controllers.

If that doesn't fix it, I recommend the ULTRA 7 port USB 2.0 card that I got from Tiger Direct a month or so ago. It's got 4 external ports, 1 internal port, PLUS its own USB 2.0 controller and the pins to plug another USB 2.0 device in (like the cord running from front-mounted USB ports, or one of those USB/multi-card reader combos that many box computers seem to ship with).

It cost, when I ordered it, $14.99 (plus shipping, but I got it with an order of about $100 worth of stuff)
Nah, haven't tried any of that yet. I'll give that a shot when my new computer gets here.

Sucks that this happened now though haha, cause I pieced the new comp. together through tiger direct ;x Coulda easily throw that lil thing on there. I suppose I'll try all that, if none of that works I'll get what you said. thanks!

L

liquiddrool

Sounds like the rear USB ports are jacked, you can mess with the jumpers or check BIOS but if you didn't change anything it is probably done.

Get an external USB hub(4 usb ports in 1) and plug it into the front jacks.