• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Age of Conan subs fall below 100,000

Muckbeast

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Article from Eurogamer:

Funcom has reported its financial results for the fourth quarter, revealing an operating loss of USD 23.3 million due to the lagging performance of Age of Conan, writes GamesIndustry.biz.

According to recent estimates by DnB NOR Markets, subscriber levels for Age of Conan are now below 100,000, says E24.
According to the company, AoC was "hampered by shorter average subscription periods than anticipated".

Yeah, that's what happens when you make a bad game.

Things sound even more grim for AoC than I expected. I assumed they were in the 200-300k range.

R

rcole23

Article from Eurogamer:

According to the company, AoC was "hampered by shorter average subscription periods than anticipated".

Yeah, that's what happens when you make a bad game.

Things sound even more grim for AoC than I expected. I assumed they were in the 200-300k range.
It is only a matter of time until the game tanks. 100,000 (lets give them some benifit of the doubt and give them 100,000 subscribers) * 30 per month (I think it was 30 a month? ) = 36,000,000 a year. So they are still making money even if you subtract costs (or should be....) Even if I cut that number in half the game can still survive. I don't know what the make or break number is for the game to actually be shut off *cough* Tabula Rasa (one of the first games I have actually seen shut off....

Anyway yea, my personal experience. Would log on, not want to play my fun character BECAUSE THEY SUCKED and would log on my standard POM, kick ass, not want to play and then leave.

I feel bad for my friend. Could barley kill one mob as a SK, as a POM I could tank 5 with ease. That game sucked ass.

I feel bad for the guild leader of the guild I was in, I give him credit he tried hard, built the city himself but when ever he would announce that some task was accomplished I would look at the guild roster. Beyond 60 inactive not logged in for X number of day players there was NOONE besides myself and him.

That game had so much marketing promise, pulled the wool over my eyes as far as I am concerned.

If they continued to build on the first 20 lvls then at least you would have some originality. After lvl 20 you had Midas well shut the game off as its a 50 lvl grind of unbalanced impossible boredom.

H

Hukk

They have made many improvements. :)
Do you mean in patch 1.05? Yeah, I was soooo impressed with the "improvements" that I canceled my sub yesterday, and I've been playing since day one of the pre-start. I gave 1.05 a chance but FC changed AoC into a totally different game. One that's, to me anyway, no longer fun to play, only frustrating.