• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Inscription] After burning tens of thousands of scrolls...

M

Malkes

...making spellbooks (at GM, with an Inscription tally), I find my self wondering how the roll for mods is done, concerning slayer properties. This may have been answered somewhere in the past but, if so, I haven't seen it:

When it is determined that a spellbook will be crafted with additional properties is the roll for having a slayer property a single weighted chance amid all the possible mods, with the TYPE of slayer rolled after it has been determined that it will have a slayer mod? Or is each slayer type a single weighted chance that is rolled when adding mods?

IE: If I craft a spellbook, does it count each slayer type as a mod? Or is determined that it will have a slayer mod, and THEN pick which slayer?

I ask because it seems that the odds (for me at least) of getting any slayer at all are far far smaller than most other mods. I am working towards crafting a super slayer set, and while I know that will take a while itself, I am disheartened by the fact that my book rarely have any slayer type at all.

Thank you in advance to anyone that might be able to provide some information for me.

*Bow*

S

Shantia

so after burning tens of thousands of scrolls you havent gotten a single super slayer book? Mmm not sure how the numbers work exactly on what kind of mods are rolled etc but i got a full set after about 100K scrolls, maybe a lil more or a lil less. Actually not sure i've gotten the elemental book yet but i definately have the rest. If your on baja i can check to see if i have any duplicates i can spare :)

M

Malkes

Well, so far, I have made a Repond slayer. That's the only super slayer I've made. I have managed to make a few ("few" being relative to the number of scrolls used) slayers other than that. A couple Dragon and, for some reason, a decent number of snow elemental slayers.

I'm on Atlantic, but thanks for the offer anyway, hehe.

I'm mostly just wondering if each slayer type is rolled independently when crafting a book (and the first successful roll for a slayer property is the one it uses) or if it just lumps all slayers into one property, making the slayer mod, as a whole, far less likely.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I hate to say it, but your results are typical. I do not know the math behind the super slayer mod, but I too wenr through about 100K scrolls trying to make super slayer books. I made 2 (1 x demon & 1 x undead) with my GM scribe with 115 magery. The mods are determined by the scribes magery. So if you are at or above 110 magery the first thing I'd do before blowing through more scrolls is raise your magery.

I had to take a break from making books because I was blowing through my gold savings. I hope to get those elusive books (especially repond).

-OBSIDIAN-

M

Malkes

My character has been at 115 Magery since before I even decided to add Inscription to his template, hehe.

G

gramarye

Well, I have to say I feel quite sorry for the op. Might just be my good luck but after burning around - I'm guessing but - perhaps 150k or so with gm scribe and 115 magery I got all the supers. After reading the above I must have just been lucky I guess. Oh, btw, I MADE an undead slayer but BOUGHT a Hallowed Spellbook, couldn't make one of those. I know they are both just undead slayers but - where the heck does the Hallowed come from? Oh, and the very best of luck to the op. I have some spares you could have but I'm on Europa "shrugs".

B

BajaKurgan

Actually not sure i've gotten the elemental book yet but i definately have the rest. If your on baja i can check to see if i have any duplicates i can spare :)
Shantia -
I am super interested in the Baja Super Slayer Swap program :D
I have an extra Elemental Slayer and would be willing to trade it straight across for an Arachnid slayer if you have an extra.

B

BajaKurgan

...making spellbooks (at GM, with an Inscription tally), I find my self wondering how the roll for mods is done, concerning slayer properties. This may have been answered somewhere in the past but, if so, I haven't seen it:

When it is determined that a spellbook will be crafted with additional properties is the roll for having a slayer property a single weighted chance amid all the possible mods, with the TYPE of slayer rolled after it has been determined that it will have a slayer mod? Or is each slayer type a single weighted chance that is rolled when adding mods?

IE: If I craft a spellbook, does it count each slayer type as a mod? Or is determined that it will have a slayer mod, and THEN pick which slayer?
Malkes - Here's a link to an Inscription Thread from about 6 weeks ago. I don't think it answers your exact question, but it does cover the the basics for maximizing your spellbook production/intensity.

On a side note, here was my exact experience for comparison...

120 Magery
100 Inscription
150 Intelligence (some debate if INT factors into the equation, but it's easy to max with the right items)
16% Inscription Bonus, 12% Exceptional Inscription Bonus talisman
82,000+ blank scrolls (first 37,000 without the talisman)

0 - Arachnid
7 - Demon
2 - Elemental
1 - Repond
1 - Reptile
2 - Undead

M

Malkes

Thanks for that info.

Yesterday I finished running through the last 5 thousand or so scrolls that I had saved up from when I was training Inscription. The total scrolls used making spellbooks after hitting GM inscription has been somewhere in the realm of thirty-four to thirty-five thousand scrolls.

I've ended up with just a Repond slayer, heheh.

Seems like it's just a case of individual bad luck this time, based on the results other folk have had. I in no way expected to have crafted myself a full set of slayers with so few scrolls, but I had hoped to at least have one or two more super slayers from them before having to go sit at Fel vendors getting more scrolls. Heck, I expected more of any type of slayer in general.

Was mostly just looking for an answer about the slayer property chance from a coding standpoint. Was just never sure if the Devs had ever given any kind of confirmation about whether slayer properties counted as a single roll for a random slayer or if each slayer type had it's own chance.

Thanks again for all the responses to my questions.

A

Al Mundy

i'm on baja as well and would love to get a set of super slayers. i've got 100 magery and zero inscription so little chance of me making them myself anyone have any extras they don't want?

M

Malkes

Bought more scrolls and after using five thousand of them, the only keeper of the lot was a Reptile Slayer (which I'm happy about)...no other Super Slayers, and not a single keeper other than that, heh.

B

BajaKurgan

Bought more scrolls and after using five thousand of them, the only keeper of the lot was a Reptile Slayer (which I'm happy about)...no other Super Slayers, and not a single keeper other than that, heh.
That sounds about right.

If I take the total number of scrolls I used (82,000) and divide by the number of Super Slayers I ultimately made (13) I come up with a Super Slayer every 6,307 scrolls.

See, you're doing better than me :D

M

Malkes

Actually, I've gotten two super slayers in about forty thousand or so scrolls, so I'm averaging twenty thousand per super slayer, hehe.

N

Narda Dag'thul

Oh, btw, I MADE an undead slayer but BOUGHT a Hallowed Spellbook, couldn't make one of those. I know they are both just undead slayers but - where the heck does the Hallowed come from? Oh, and the very best of luck to the op. I have some spares you could have but I'm on Europa "shrugs".
I hope you didn't pay more the 1k for the hallowed one. It's the reward for the New Haven inscription quest. (get Inscription up to 50...) Quest giver is on first floor New Haven mage guild.