• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Aesthetics issues with modern MMO's and later UO versions.

B

Bombadil

Since mmo's have become much more item based the weapons and inventory is usually distinguished by brightly colored, unnatural textures. It has become what is known as neon fest. This takes away from the natural, medieval feel of the game and ends up looking childish, annoying and unaesthetic.

If we look at the later versions of UO, this was actually a big hit for the overall aesthetics of the game. All the colored, imba weapons made the game look like a clutter of mess. This wasn't so in the earlier versions.

I think Kingdom Reborn took the right direction graphics wise. These screenshots look almost like photorealistic painting. Beautiful:

Smooth lines, no sharp corners, natural colors, nothing seems out of place. It's almost like a painting.

Now let's look at some modern MMO's:

It looks simply awful. Look at all the tasteless colors, the sharp spikes everywhere. If developers can't pull off photo realistic 3D, they should be sticking to 2D.

In my opinion, graphics of Kingdom Reborn look much better than most 3D mmo graphics out there. Yes, they are 2D, but aesthetically speaking they take the cake.

I hope Ultimate RPG takes a similar approach graphics wise as Kingdom Reborn. Keep it clean, tasteful and it will greatly add to the atmosphere of the game. It will make the game play like a real story in a fantasy world not just and not become a clutter of shiny objects just scattered all around.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I worry a little about the graphical limitations of mobile device, tbh. Hope they push the limits. :)

B

Bombadil

I worry a little about the graphical limitations of mobile device, tbh. Hope they push the limits. :)
Since he is planning to release the game about a year from now (at least), I don't think it would be a big issue.

First of all, modern mobiles (Android, iPhone based devices) can EASILY run 2D games. In fact, if you look at Final Fantasy III, it has beautiful 3D/2D graphics and mobile devices such as Galaxy S2 have no problems running it smoothly.

The capability of devices will only improve after a year.

If they go the 2D route, then there shouldn't be any issues. There can be different resolutions for handhelds, tablets and finally - PC.

If they want to make a 3D game, it might be harder.

EDIT:
Just checked Portalarium homepage.

Jobs/Individuals - Portalarium

Look, they are looking for 3D modelers. This means the game will be 3D. I hope they do it right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Nice! That's great insight--thanks. :)

senescal

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Some mobile games released lately have had quite impressive graphics. I wouldn't worry much about that, nor about the aesthetic direction of the whole thing.

RG already said that it won't be cutesy, that's a dodged bullet already. He is not planning on making the WoW substitute either, so there's no need to copy that style as has been done so frequently. Another dodge. Finally, the setting won't be ye olde medieval fantasy and it won't be everythingischromeinthefuture sci fi either. Strike three.

I think we're pretty safe. But, I swear to god, if I see huge pauldrons anywhere...

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Thanks. My exposure to mobile/social games is limited. Never owned a smart phone, but I do use my wife's ipad occasionally. Not totally sure what they're capable of.

B

Bombadil

Finally, the setting won't be ye olde medieval fantasy and it won't be everythingischromeinthefuture sci fi either. Strike three.
It won't? Where did he say that? I'm kind of disappointed in that fact. I personally love medieval-fantasy RPG's, but that's just me.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
It won't? Where did he say that? I'm kind of disappointed in that fact. I personally love medieval-fantasy RPG's, but that's just me.
His answer on this was intentionally cryptic. He said it wouldn't be sci-fi, it wouldn't be fantasy. Instead, he used the word "historical." He also implied that the reason they're avoiding the traditional genres is that that they wanted to break the mould. I have no concept of what it might look like. O.O

B

Bombadil

If he said "historical", then that's actually quite a good sign.

No more elves, orcs and other cliche fantasy monsters.

I predict it would still be a medieval setting, since I see Garriott likes the theme quite a lot. Just look at his avatar.

I'm currently speculating that the project will take place no sooner than early medieval times and no later than 19th century.

During these time periods we can have it all: holy wars, American Civil war, pirates, castles, maybe even wild, wild vest.

There might be some involvement of early guns. Think Mount & Blade.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
S
First of all, modern mobiles (Android, iPhone based devices) can EASILY run 2D games. In fact, if you look at Final Fantasy III, it has beautiful 3D/2D graphics and mobile devices such as Galaxy S2 have no problems running it smoothly.
Actually, Id' take that a step farther and say they can do 3D incredibly well. Have you ever seen Nvidia's Tegra mobile processor line?

Here's a good demo of what CAN be done:

Last edited:

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No more elves, orcs and other cliche fantasy monsters.
He stated in this last interview, that initially, no, there are no plans to have other playable races. However, it was not stated that other such races would be absent from the world. They may be your foes, not your allies.

Even then, he stated he is not apposed to having other playable races, but is not compelled to do it. He wants it to be YOU that is stepping from earth into New Britannia, and that you bring your ethical and moral beliefs to that world - Not those of some fictional race or character like Conan. He can rationalize that you undergo some sort of physical transformation as part of your journey, but again, he's not compelled to do so and is open to discuss the idea.

Last edited:

Neves

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I think many MMOs leave a lot to be desired with graphic style and colors. I am a fan of old school RPGs like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and good old UO -- all of which had darker atmospheres to them than say WoW. LOTRO does graphics pretty well IMHO, but gamers want better and better graphics all the time. What was good in 2007 won't fly today. Styles bordering on realism drive the market. I will say that GW2 has done an AMAZING job with style and color. It's really vibrant without looking like unicorns puked all over the place. I, too, am very interested to see what RG plans to do to "break the mold" and bring out the best in mobile platform gaming. I think he mentioned somewhere that the game is being developed for PC and mobile. Will be interesting to see how this all pans out...

Last edited:
L

Lord_Toast

His answer on this was intentionally cryptic. He said it wouldn't be sci-fi, it wouldn't be fantasy. Instead, he used the word "historical." He also implied that the reason they're avoiding the traditional genres is that that they wanted to break the mould. I have no concept of what it might look like. O.O

Well... Richard is a member of the SCA (Society for Creative Aanchronism) which is a “historical” and yet fantasy based group.

L

Lord_Toast

He stated in this last interview, that initially, no, there are no plans to have other playable races. However, it was not stated that other such races would be absent from the world. They may be your foes, not your allies.

Even then, he stated he is not apposed to having other playable races, but is not compelled to do it. He wants it to be YOU that is stepping from earth into New Britannia, and that you bring your ethical and moral beliefs to that world - Not those of some fictional race or character like Conan. He can rationalize that you undergo some sort of physical transformation as part of your journey, but again, he's not compelled to do so and is open to discuss the idea.
Yup, he explained that you step through the portal then your 'soul' determines what you look like. This would explain why you would have different physical appearances. Imagine twenty years of junk food and breathing pollution being wiped out once you arrive on the other side. Hmm, I wonder if this means my 'soul' would generate more hair on my noggin.
But if a persons soul yearns to truly be different then why not?

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But if a persons soul yearns to truly be different then why not?
A good question. Something to bring up as a point of discussion. :) As he said, he's not OPPOSED to it, and that seems like a valid consideration.

Last edited:

Mazreal

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I don't think he's against other playable races in general, just not generic fantasy stand-bys like elves and dwarves.