• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Cartography] advice please

M

miniciti

I decided to train cartography on a mule character. I have 71.2 cartography, so I decided to decode the level 2 maps I have. I was so excited!! yay!! But then I got on my other character to go dig it up, and it said "you did not decode this map and have no idea where to dig". I was so sad. :(

So I attempted to try it anyway on my mule char and promptly got my butt handed to me. The dirt was NOT yummy contrary to popular opinion.

So now my question is: is there any way to get my other chars to be able to dig up the other maps I've already decoded?? I have 3 soulstones.

Thanks!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think only level 1 maps can be dug up by people other than someone who has decoded it, that don't have cartography skill. Most maps (i.e. those that have dropped since AoS) can be dug by any cartographer with sufficient skill, as long as they have the skill on them.

What this means is that, if you decode maps, and are going to do the cart/LP swap, you have to do the cart/LP swap on the character that decoded the map.

BTW, if your mule was planning on making the tattered wall maps with the level 1,3,4 & 5 maps, he would have to both decode AND dig them, anyway.

Lastly, how much magery does your mule have? Blade Spirits should be able to take down level 2 map spawn, and can be cast from scroll 27% of the time by a human (using JoaT value) or an Elf with only 20 magery. If a typical uber-mule with 40+ real magery for marking and carpentry (add magery items to reach pentagram level), you should be able to pre-cast a couple of blade spirits (from scroll), dig the map, then recast the blade spirits as they run out.

M

miniciti

I think only level 1 maps can be dug up by people other than someone who has decoded it, that don't have cartography skill. Most maps (i.e. those that have dropped since AoS) can be dug by any cartographer with sufficient skill, as long as they have the skill on them.

What this means is that, if you decode maps, and are going to do the cart/LP swap, you have to do the cart/LP swap on the character that decoded the map.
So it's now hardcoded into that char and she has to dig the map, right? So in the future, I need to soulstone cart to the char who I want to dig the map?

BTW, if your mule was planning on making the tattered wall maps with the level 1,3,4 & 5 maps, he would have to both decode AND dig them, anyway.
ooOooo I didn't realize that. Thanks for that tidbit :D *stares at wasted lvl 1 maps*

Lastly, how much magery does your mule have? Blade Spirits should be able to take down level 2 map spawn, and can be cast from scroll 27% of the time by a human (using JoaT value) or an Elf with only 20 magery. If a typical uber-mule with 40+ real magery for marking and carpentry (add magery items to reach pentagram level), you should be able to pre-cast a couple of blade spirits (from scroll), dig the map, then recast the blade spirits as they run out.
OMG!!! That's genius!! I never thought about making a scroll for the blades. *runs off happily to go try this*:bowdown:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I decided to train cartography on a mule character. I have 71.2 cartography, so I decided to decode the level 2 maps I have. I was so excited!! yay!! But then I got on my other character to go dig it up, and it said "you did not decode this map and have no idea where to dig". I was so sad. :(

So I attempted to try it anyway on my mule char and promptly got my butt handed to me. The dirt was NOT yummy contrary to popular opinion.

So now my question is: is there any way to get my other chars to be able to dig up the other maps I've already decoded?? I have 3 soulstones.

Thanks!
All you need to do is decide what character you want to be able to dig the map.
Then you add Cartography to that character...have that character Decode all your "Tattered" maps ( they must be tattered) then stone cartography off. That character will then be able to dig those maps.

TW