• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Add some pets with archery ability

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unfortunately for you (and me) I read it. Still a dumb idea.

The lightsaber was me being facetious. It doesn't surprise me you didn't pick up on it.

Keep trying champ.
I see it the same as a magical ability. Add an archery skill and scroll it up. Then we would need throwing also. The melee weapon skills would be left out I guess.

Its not that far fetched. I can train a dog to use mysticism spells.

I'm more for a human Hireling that we can suit up. Talk about an explosion that puts everything back on the market. It would double the armor weapon and scroll need.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
It could vary like pets, but it'd suck to have a hireling with higher resists, skill caps, stat caps, and HP than you're own character.
Nah, it'd suck if they let us gear them up and other people could take it off through paperdoll.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Maybe we could assign roles to them by giving them certain weapons and telling them to take that skill instead of another.

I remember playing Final Fantasy XI and they came out with an adventuring companion you could give weapons to every couple of levels. You could open a menu by talking to them and ask them various things like what level it was or how they acted in combat, whether it be aggressive or ready to support or heal. Then you could be asked to give it a specific kind of weapon like a low level katana, then when it levels up, a mid level katana and so on. Maybe for Ultima Online you give your hireling a spellbook of whatever type and some gear.. Give it like 3 skills it can take and it just rolls with you where ever. Maybe lessen its damage or something to compensate for the OPness.

Edit:

And pre-requisites, can't be on a trial account, must own a house, maybe complete a quest for them to 'bond' with you, vary the quests, maybe give them some cool dialogue options like those heralds had. Let them express interest in getting paid for their services or remind you they need to eat too. If you want to stable them you take them to the inn, or put an innkeeper in your home. Maybe spjce the rp aspect of it up by making us sign a registrar or something. If you want to rename them or reset their templates you can swing by the respecting trainers and exchange gold and answer questions for them.. There could be a lot of interesting options here. Still I think boosting mages and adding cinnamon rolls in game should be implemented first.

Last edited:

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I see it the same as a magical ability. Add an archery skill and scroll it up. Then we would need throwing also. The melee weapon skills would be left out I guess.

Its not that far fetched. I can train a dog to use mysticism spells.

I'm more for a human Hireling that we can suit up. Talk about an explosion that puts everything back on the market. It would double the armor weapon and scroll need.
Sure, they could add whatever they wanted.

However this last publish where they made pets more "imbuable" is one of the reasons I don't really play much anymore.

It's probably been a couple of week since I've logged in.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately for you (and me) I read it. Still a dumb idea.

The lightsaber was me being facetious. It doesn't surprise me you didn't pick up on it.

Keep trying champ.
Yeah and the point is being facetious was a dumb idea. It doesn't surprise me that you didn't pick up on it.

People who have valid concerns about archery pets in pvp, that's one thing. I haven't heard you contribute a single valid argument, just mockery of the people who presented this idea. So why don't you get over yourself champ.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Yeah and the point is being facetious was a dumb idea. It doesn't surprise me that you didn't pick up on it.

People who have valid concerns about archery pets in pvp, that's one thing. I haven't heard you contribute a single valid argument, just mockery of the people who presented this idea. So why don't you get over yourself champ.
Only you could fail to equate the lightsaber comment and then later state what everyone already knew.

Clearly everyone saw it was a ridiculous suggestion, and took it as such. Which was the point of the comment.

Parroting back to me isn't helping you either.

Keep going champ, you'll get there yet.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Only you could fail to equate the lightsaber comment and then later state what everyone already knew.

Clearly everyone saw it was a ridiculous suggestion, and took it as such. Which was the point of the comment.

Parroting back to me isn't helping you either.

Keep going champ, you'll get there yet.
Wait. You mean I'm not getting my dang side mounted machine guns? Wth!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes because a dog or horse can perform a whirlwind attack or a shield bash but shooting arrows is crazy? Also how does a cu apply bandages with their hooves?
Ever got hit with a set of horse hoofs when one rears up and spins? Trust me the scar across my back says they most certainly can use a whirl wind attack and those front hooves slice right to the bones :)

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure, they could add whatever they wanted.

However this last publish where they made pets more "imbuable" is one of the reasons I don't really play much anymore.

It's probably been a couple of week since I've logged in.
I got your anti pet revamp meesages, no one on the earth could convince you to accept thr last publish. You can continue to hate, we will continue to play.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ever got hit with a set of horse hoofs when one rears up and spins? Trust me the scar across my back says they most certainly can use a whirl wind attack and those front hooves slice right to the bones :)
No but I've seen a cow kick a milker 30 feet across a barn and smash against the wall. So I understand :)

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yeah, while we like to add something for pvm, we certainly need to balance the power for pvp.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Or they could just fix NPC hirelings, give them an update. I would much rather hunt with 5 npcs than a 5 slot pet.
oooh... I remember the days when you could have unlimited hirelings follow you around. Some people hired 20 rangers and pretty much instakilled anyone who dared to get in range.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, while we like to add something for pvm, we certainly need to balance the power for pvp.

I doubt the PvPers would complain about 2 machine guns mounted on a Cu Sidhe.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I got your anti pet revamp meesages, no one on the earth could convince you to accept thr last publish. You can continue to hate, we will continue to play.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Have fun!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You showed your real intention, you come here for trash talking.
Well snowflake, I understand it may be difficult for you accept people may not share the same opinions as you, and that some may actually be negative opposition to ideas like pets with bows, but I have high hopes for you.

Maybe the tears will dry up and you'll see it's not all bad.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shoots fire ball from its mouth, but casting them has me puzzled to.
Dragons cast spells as well and often have worked magical spells in various works of fantasy. I haven't heard any complaints about that despite them having these abilities for as long as UO has been around. Gazers work magic as well and they are basically floating orbs of flesh with eyes. In our guild writing, we explain magic as creatures utilizing the soul energy (mana) to manipulate the various dimensions of matter, energy, and possibility to enact these spells. I don't see why animals can't grow and advance to this point. After all, there are already animals who can speak in Ultima Lore like Sherry the Mouse and Smith the Horse. I need to go back and play Ultima 6 again to test it, but I think Sherry might even have been able to cast spells herself if properly trained.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I think she steals a rune for you in bucs den. All i can remember she did, but that was snes version.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think she steals a rune for you in bucs den. All i can remember she did, but that was snes version.
I actually trained her up to use two of the gargoyle boomerangs in battle on the PC version. She had the highest dex of any character you could get so she would always attack first and became quite a good fighter for me but you had to work her strength up to be able to use them. I never tried to let her cast spells though so that's something I mean to investigate.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Dragons cast spells as well and often have worked magical spells in various works of fantasy. I haven't heard any complaints about that despite them having these abilities for as long as UO has been around. Gazers work magic as well and they are basically floating orbs of flesh with eyes. In our guild writing, we explain magic as creatures utilizing the soul energy (mana) to manipulate the various dimensions of matter, energy, and possibility to enact these spells. I don't see why animals can't grow and advance to this point. After all, there are already animals who can speak in Ultima Lore like Sherry the Mouse and Smith the Horse. I need to go back and play Ultima 6 again to test it, but I think Sherry might even have been able to cast spells herself if properly trained.
Oh! Okay I retract my statement, that does make sense.

Kelly Daze

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I doubt the PvPers would complain about 2 machine guns mounted on a Cu Sidhe.
Would that be hollow point or armor piercing rounds?!?! That is where the complaints would come from. Lol However it would be awesome to ride on a cu with machine guns locked and loaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Would that be hollow point or armor piercing rounds?!?! That is where the complaints would come from. Lol However it would be awesome to ride on a cu with machine guns locked and loaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GD with a 50-cal? That could be fun. But I'm still sticking to 4 1-slot porcupines with stun/bleed abilities naturally.